Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,582 members, 7,820,105 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Why Do We Suffer Our Dogs In The Name Of Walks - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Why Do We Suffer Our Dogs In The Name Of Walks (1273 Views)

We Loved Our Dogs So Much We Forked Out £36K To Have Them Cloned(Pix) / Biggest Dogs In Nigeria Thread (Photos) / Top Most Dangerous Dogs In Nigeria (beware Of Dogs) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Suffer Our Dogs In The Name Of Walks by countsparrow: 9:24am On Mar 16, 2018
Good morning y'all. recently started noticing things people do in the name of walks and how inhumane some of these things are to our little creatures...

Yes, to exercise your dog every once in a while is good, but doing it at the detriment of you and your dog is a no no for me, i don't know if dog owners are blind to the fact the dogs are very uncomfortable or they just have to show off those poor animals who clearly are in pain for the glances and stares occasionally thrown at them...

Today as i stepped out of my house to get something nearby, i saw a dog owner walking his dog under the hot sun
1. The dog clearly was not enjoying the walking cause it seem to have hip problems considering the way it was swaying
2, the dog was reluctant to walk, the owner had to drag it along considering the strain on the dogs neck
3. The sun was out and both the owner and dog clearly wouldn't enjoy such walks...

So this begs the question, why do you have to walk your dog in this circumstance?

Personally, i walk my dogs almost every weekends, why once a week is cause they are rarely on chain at home and they have a compound they can roam around.

Secondly, i always walk them between 6:30am to 7:30am in the morning and if not in the morning, same time in the evening... No wonder my dogs relish going for their daily walks, i don't need to drag them by the collar and i get the needed exercise my body needs under amazing weather conditions

Thirdly, if you need to walk your dog, try get a harness for it, that way even if you have to pull at time to control, you don't put much force on the neck... I walk two dogs at a time without anyone's help, although my Rottweiler is quite stubborn and likes to take control when out on walks, i still find it less difficult to take them out cause i use a harness instead of a leash to the neck

Some even walk hairy dogs under the hot sun without a water bottle in case the dog gets thirsty, and dogs like dis suffer from heat stroke under such conditions. I was really irritated when i saw a dog going through this ordeal today, and that is why i ask, why do dog owners suffer themselves and the dog all in the name of walks?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Suffer Our Dogs In The Name Of Walks by Eveezy(m): 10:17am On Mar 16, 2018
Well, when dog walk is concerned, it's very important to consider timing. As for draging of dogs, I recently rescued a dog dt was scared of everything, I gradually socialized her within d compound ND finally started outside, initially once she got to d gate, she would start shivering be nw she actually walks, but problem is dt when ever she hears a bike or vehicle coming, she cowers in fear, run to d middle of d road ND lie down still, at dis point I ve no other choice but to drag her, people seeing me might feel am suffering d dog, but am just training her, cos she must get used to it eventually, I don't rush her cos I know where she is coming from ND she has really improved tremendously, a dog dt initially feared everything including her own food, nw within d compound guards ND protects.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Suffer Our Dogs In The Name Of Walks by AmadeusCho: 11:53am On Jul 14, 2018
Please can I see the other view of your rott’s harness. Thanks
And that of the Caucasian
countsparrow:
Good morning y'all. recently started noticing things people do in the name of walks and how inhumane some of these things are to our little creatures...

Yes, to exercise your dog every once in a while is good, but doing it at the detriment of you and your dog is a no no for me, i don't know if dog owners are blind to the fact the dogs are very uncomfortable or they just have to show off those poor animals who clearly are in pain for the glances and stares occasionally thrown at them...

Today as i stepped out of my house to get something nearby, i saw a dog owner walking his dog under the hot sun
1. The dog clearly was not enjoying the walking cause it seem to have hip problems considering the way it was swaying
2, the dog was reluctant to walk, the owner had to drag it along considering the strain on the dogs neck
3. The sun was out and both the owner and dog clearly wouldn't enjoy such walks...

So this begs the question, why do you have to walk your dog in this circumstance?

Personally, i walk my dogs almost every weekends, why once a week is cause they are rarely on chain at home and they have a compound they can roam around.

Secondly, i always walk them between 6:30am to 7:30am in the morning and if not in the morning, same time in the evening... No wonder my dogs relish going for their daily walks, i don't need to drag them by the collar and i get the needed exercise my body needs under amazing weather conditions

Thirdly, if you need to walk your dog, try get a harness for it, that way even if you have to pull at time to control, you don't put much force on the neck... I walk two dogs at a time without anyone's help, although my Rottweiler is quite stubborn and likes to take control when out on walks, i still find it less difficult to take them out cause i use a harness instead of a leash to the neck

Some even walk hairy dogs under the hot sun without a water bottle in case the dog gets thirsty, and dogs like dis suffer from heat stroke under such conditions. I was really irritated when i saw a dog going through this ordeal today, and that is why i ask, why do dog owners suffer themselves and the dog all in the name of walks?

Re: Why Do We Suffer Our Dogs In The Name Of Walks by frowland(m): 12:07pm On Jul 14, 2018
Your headline is misleading.
Re: Why Do We Suffer Our Dogs In The Name Of Walks by Hipass: 6:28am On Jul 16, 2018
Ok

(1) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Ivy, My Partner And Best Friend. / Female Rottweiler Puppies Available For Sale / Nigeria Veterinary Medicine In Perspective

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.