Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,544 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. (15192 Views)

Can Someone Steal Your Money If They Have Access To Your BVN? / Vacancy- Sales Boys & Girls / How Do I Increase My Sales Using Facebook Ads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by Evathyst(f): 8:44am On Mar 17, 2018
Dear Nairalanders,

A very good morning to you all. Please I'd like your expert on an issue that is affecting my business. I have a big cosmetic shop which by God's grace fetch me money. But the problem is that my sales boy/girl steal heavily from me.

I have tried to checkmate them but all to no avail. Whenever I'm in the shop, I do checkmate them. But most times, I'm always out of the country doing business. Someone suggested getting a machine which can be used to issue receipt on any sales made but the problem is that I don't know it's functionality. Also, another friend suggested the use of CCTV to me.

Dear Nairalanders, kindly enlighten me on what to do as the issue is affecting my business. Thanks in anticipation.

From a friend.

Mods, kindly help give a wider coverage.

1 Like

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by taylor89(m): 8:44am On Mar 17, 2018
We blacks and Africans should utilise our own very science

Go mbaise carry one very fairly used juju of 6k keep there

If they steal from you again make thunder fire me

61 Likes

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by Liliyann(f): 8:48am On Mar 17, 2018
Then sack them and employ someone that is honest and reliable!! All these boys wanting to reap where they did not sow.

8 Likes

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by Evathyst(f): 8:51am On Mar 17, 2018
Liliyann:
Then sack them and employ someone that is honest and reliable!!
All these boys wanting to reap where they did not sow.
Someone honest you say? There's no such thing as a 'honest person'. Opportunity makes a thief if you don't know.

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by Nobody: 8:55am On Mar 17, 2018
Evathyst:
Dear Nairalanders,

A very good morning to you all. Please I'd like your expert on an issue that is affecting my business. I have a big cosmetic shop which by God's grace fetch me money. But the problem is that my sales boy/girl steal heavily from me.

I have tried to checkmate them but all to no avail. Whenever I'm in the shop, I do checkmate them. But most times, I'm always out of the country doing business. Someone suggested getting a machine which can be used to issue receipt on any sales made but the problem is that I don't know it's functionality. Also, another friend suggested the use of CCTV to me.

Dear Nairalanders, kindly enlighten me on what to do as the issue is affecting my business. Thanks in anticipation.

From a friend.

Cc:
Lalasticlala
Did you steal from anybody?

8 Likes

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by alakara(m): 9:00am On Mar 17, 2018
Use CCTV and try to always b at ur shop, also always take stock all d time.

2 Likes

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by Evathyst(f): 9:00am On Mar 17, 2018
FortifiedCity:
Did you steal from anybody?
I'm not the owner of the business o. I'm just posting on someone's behalf.

And to your question yet, I've never stolen from someone yet, but I plan doing so soonest. smiley

Happy?

7 Likes

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by Nobody: 9:02am On Mar 17, 2018
Evathyst:
I'm not the owner of the business o. I'm just posting on someone's behalf.

And to your question yet, I've never stolen from someone yet, but I plan doing so soonest. smiley

Happy?
...and suddenly she's not the owner of the business

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by bujebudanu1(m): 9:13am On Mar 17, 2018
Liliyann:
Then sack them and employ someone that is honest and reliable!!
All these boys wanting to reap where they did not sow.

Did u see the boys/girls in the post
Read well next time

4 Likes

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by NnamdiN: 10:41am On Mar 17, 2018
You can only minimize theft, it's almost impossible to eliminate completely.
Get a functional CCTV
As much as possible encourage POS
Monitor stock, make sure every pin is in the system (if you get this right, you would have succeeded to a large extent).
Make sure customers are issued electronic invoices, not the paper type. The person issuing the invoices must be different from the one receiving cash and their accounts must balance at the end of the day.
If possible barcode all your items, some malls install devices that alert them if any one tries to leave with an item that has not been processed.

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:00pm On Mar 17, 2018
FortifiedCity:
...and suddenly she's not the owner of the business

Can't you see where the OP wrote ' from a friend', that you even quoted personally.
smh for some Nairalanders!!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by Acidosis(m): 12:00pm On Mar 17, 2018
We have lots of overgrown babies with adult bodies on this forum.

So many irresponsible comments on a serious issue. Someone asked for tips on how to manage her store and secure it from corrupt elements and some people can't even get their words together.

Yet these overgrown babies are always the first to rubbish Nigeria's anti-corruption fights. How can these babies (so called youths) manage a nation when you can't even manage a small shop? We flex muscles on talks that concern Nigeria's high profile criminals yet we can't offer any sensible tips to protect a small store from the hands of two salespersons.

@OP, please listen to Nnamdi.. He has mentioned nearly everything you need to do.

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by mayowascholar(m): 12:00pm On Mar 17, 2018
sorry
Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by kittykollinxx(m): 12:00pm On Mar 17, 2018
it's difficult to checkmate them when you are not there. you can find a way to computerize their sales
Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by datola: 12:01pm On Mar 17, 2018
Install CCTV

Computerise your sales/operations

Take stcok at intervals

Pray. Include in your prayers with the staff: "anybody that does not wish this buiness well or steals from this business may they be cursed forever except they confess.

1 Like

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by amdman: 12:01pm On Mar 17, 2018
Too bad

1 Like

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by amdman: 12:03pm On Mar 17, 2018
Use technology
Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by Evathyst(f): 12:05pm On Mar 17, 2018
NnamdiN:
You can only minimize theft, it's almost impossible to eliminate completely.
Get a functional CCTV
As much as possible encourage POS
Monitor stock, make sure every pin is in the system (if you get this right, you would have succeeded to a large extent).
Make sure customers are issued electronic invoices, not the paper type. The person issuing the invoices must be different from the one receiving cash and their accounts must balance at the end of the day.
If possible barcode all your items, some malls install devices that alert them if any one tries to leave with an item that has not been processed.
Thanks a lot for this! It is well received! As for those people throwing tantrums up there, I'm used to them jare. smiley

4 Likes

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by debolayinka(m): 12:06pm On Mar 17, 2018
Install CCTV cameras,
Issue receipts electronically,
Take opening and closing stock records daily.

If you don't have time to do all these by yourself, employ someone to do it.

To those saying honest people don't exist, I'm not surprised, since they are not themselves.

4 Likes

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by jayinfo2(m): 12:08pm On Mar 17, 2018
Acidosis:
We have lots of overgrown babies with adult bodies on this forum.

So many irresponsible comment on a serious issue. Someone asked for tips on how to manage her store and secure it from corrupt elements and some people can't even get their words together.

Yet these overgrown babies are always the first to insult rubbish Nigeria's anti-corruption fights. How can these babies (so called youths) manage a nation when you can't even manage a small shop?

I can feel ur pain bro. No vex .

But you didn't proffer a solution to the op na

And to the op I think bar coding ur products to issue automated receipt is ur best bet to mitigate the stealings .
Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by Boss13: 12:08pm On Mar 17, 2018
You have poor control system in your super market. Hence they will steal from you, no doubt. Your friends have given you reasonable advice, which is get system to checkmate pilferage and theft. CCTV is good and can be used as evidence. You also need it for customers not just for only staff. You also need to carry out regular/periodic inventory count and cash reconciliation should be done everyday before the close of business. The cash must be equal to sales for the day. Even if POS was used for payment, the sales should be traced to the credit entry in the bank account. If the reconciliation is not complete, nobody should go home till it is complete (this should be your supermarket policy).

You also need a dependable supervisor. Someone you trust and very reliable to carry out supervisory control and review the activities of the day and likewise watch other staff. This should free you up to conduct other activities aside your supermarket

3 Likes

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by naijacutee(f): 12:08pm On Mar 17, 2018
This is actually a very interesting topic because I’m currently reading a book about psychology and business at the moment that addresses this issue.

According to this book, when it comes to honesty and human psychology, it is easier to prevent people from stealing at the beginning than fix the problem later. He conducted experiments on groups of people and found that when people were asked reminded of their moral obligation by reading the 10 commandments before the temptations, they stole less.

Also, if you prep the psychology so that they know that they have the feeling being watched and you tell them the consequences of stealing before they start, they will perform better.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Sack all the stealing cashiers. They are already corrupt and it is easier to start afresh than to fix a corrupt mind (don’t ask me what this means for our country.)

2. Rehire on a good salary that they can live on

3. Install CCTV cameras or dummy cameras, including ones facing the till. Tell staff that the camera images are backed to the cloud and that images are stored elsewhere and can be accessed by you in teatime on the internet even if you are abroad.

4. Sounds crazy but put a poster of Jesus face or the 10 commandments behind the till or cash register where only the cashiers can see.

5. Accept payments primarily by card and have 2 - 3 backup card machines. Ask your bank for Global Accelerex card machines because their engineers come out to fix them in 24 hours if faulty. There’s post here that covers getting a POS terminal in Nigeria: http://www.mrpepe.com/banking/how-to-get-a-pos-terminal-for-your-business-in-nigeria/

6. Employ someone to reconcile account each day and query staff on the day if any fraud is detected.

Please let us know how you get on!

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by Nobody: 12:09pm On Mar 17, 2018
debolayinka:
Install CCTV cameras,

To those saying honest people don't exist, I'm not surprised, since they are not themselves.

cctv is the most important - remote monitoring if possible and solely under your control
then a proper inventory system
finally, severe penalties to anyone caught
employees must have a surety/guarantor

prosecution must be adopted and followed through

1 Like

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by oxaxcool(m): 12:10pm On Mar 17, 2018
Buhari again undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by Nobody: 12:13pm On Mar 17, 2018
Evathyst:
Dear Nairalanders,

From a friend.

Cc:
Lalasticlala
I read through ur story, it's amazing how people especially some big shops still operate in an analog way. Go digital and see the result. It will only cost you once but u get the reward. I am talking about cash register for taking records, which you may decide to add CCTV later. Then you take stock on certain days. I can do this for if interested. Gracia
Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by semac00(m): 12:16pm On Mar 17, 2018
When you shop at some supermarket, and the security man at the exit checks your receipt when going out. Most times they check to be sure the money entered the registry not to know if you paid for what you got. if not they will have to compare each item in your bag with what is in the receipt.
If what they steal from you can pay to get a good security, then go for it. Security can be CCTV, security officers and so on. Anything security is what you need
Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by Acidosis(m): 12:18pm On Mar 17, 2018
debolayinka:
Install CCTV cameras,

There are honest people but it is not advisable to plant or run your business on integrity/honesty. Reason is simple: you can't measure integrity, but you can measure CSFs (critical success factors) and industry best practices.

The owner of the shop will run at loss if she/he continues to search for someone with "integrity" to manage the shop. Adopt industry best practices (e.g. electronic invoicing, POS, CCTV, etc.), and everything else will fall in place. Run your business in such a way that even if you employed Nigeria's biggest criminal, it would be difficult to steal from you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by JONNYSPUTE(m): 12:19pm On Mar 17, 2018
Install CCTV in your shop. Have a manager who will take responsibility of your shop,have a cash register,keep records of both the items purchased and sold with dates,then finally try taken stocks every two weeks. Note it won't stop it but will drastically reduce it. Gudluck.
Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by timilehin007(m): 12:20pm On Mar 17, 2018
alakara:
Use CCTV and try to always b at ur shop, also always take stock all d time.
I swear this is less effective....am talking from personal experience...I know most people here will say I'm typing trash...but by the time ur million naira worth of goods is reduce to 7 thousand tiri fifty u will know that u over depended on what is not.....I've seen where a lady, with cctv in a place of work as sales girl lived a very flamboyant life and she worth 20 million plus when she was bursted after 7 whooping years...imagine what she would have done with the man's money over the yrs and still had 20million after 7 yrs (last yr)...
Re: My Sales Boys/girls Steal From Me. by timilehin007(m): 12:26pm On Mar 17, 2018
JONNYSPUTE:
Install CCTV in your shop. Have a manager who will take responsibility of your shop,have a cash register,keep records of both the items purchased and sold with dates,then finally try taken stocks every two weeks. Note it won't stop it but will drastically reduce it. Gudluck.
Are u sure u know what u are saying...u think it's iya Sarah provision store we are talking about here...to take stocks for 2 weeks..it's not that easy brethren

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jumia Nigeria Is Launching Jumia Local To Sell Made-in-nigeria Products / Finally Revealing How I Make Steady Money Online / SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.