Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,982 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:17 PM

Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise (3776 Views)

Nimet Predicts Unstable Weather Conditions In The North, South / A Nairalander First Time On Plane And First Time In Delta / Seaplane Lands In Bayelsa For The First Time In 21 Years (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by spiralwedge(m): 9:16pm On Mar 17, 2018
I'm planning to visit the Northern part of Nigeria for the first time in July when I'll be on leave.

I want to see as many vilages/towns as possible within a week.

Im considering...

Lagos-Ilorin-Lokoja-Minna-Abuja-Kaduna-Kano-Jos-Gboko/Makurdi-Lagos

Please advise me in what order and also suggest cheap and safe guest houses or hotels. And if you ply this route regularly, how much should one budget? Any danger or warning. Are there any must-visits? What to expect?

I only want to travel to educate myself on the other parts of this country I have never been to.

MODIFIED (27th March 2019)

Couldn't go last year. I went to Badagry instead.

This year I'm traveling to Kano from Lagos via train.

Then from Kano - Kaduna - Abuja - Minna - Ilorin - Lagos by vehicles
. Will take train again from Kaduna to Abuja.

Going from first weekend of April till Easter. Will stay at least 2 nights in each city.

If you willing to join in, indicate by replying this post. We will eventually talk on WhatsApp.

You can decide to join me in the train from Lagos to Kano only. And then go back to Lagos.

Or meet up in Kano, Kaduna, Abuja, Minna or Ilorin if you are there to your or hangout.

Male or female.
Everyone will be responsible for their expenses, 100%.
It's only accommodation we can share, but not a must.

2 Likes

Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by Zonacom(m): 9:28pm On Mar 17, 2018
Only one advice; Keep your wits sharp, your eyes open and your gun loaded. On the flip side, relax and enjoy your adventure
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by Sirmuel1(m): 9:31pm On Mar 17, 2018
Apart from some few red flags, I think Northern states are the best in Nigeria. You can go to Abuja, Nasarawa, Jos, or Kaduna. Those are the places I know and I think they are good places to visit.

1 Like

Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by Sirmuel1(m): 9:34pm On Mar 17, 2018
Zonacom:
Only one advice; Keep your wits sharp, your eyes open and your gun loaded.
On the flip side, relax and enjoy your adventure

No need to load any Gun. You don't even need a cutlass cheesy
It's a different story from what you guys hear in Lagos. Northerners are peaceful, especially the Christians.

1 Like

Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by Zonacom(m): 9:39pm On Mar 17, 2018
Sirmuel1:

No need to load any Gun. You don't even need a cutlass cheesy
It's a different story from what you guys hear in Lagos. Northerners are peaceful, especially the Christians.
I don't stay in Lagos. Have been in the North most of my life. But I still maintain my advice to the Op though not literally
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by HajimeSaito(m): 9:58pm On Mar 17, 2018
spiralwedge:
I'm planning to visit the Northern part of Nigeria for the first time in July when I'll be on leave.

Im considering...

Please advise me in what order and also suggest cheap and safe guest houses or hotels. And if you ply this route regularly, how much should one budget? Any danger or warning. Are there any must-visits? What to expect?

I only want to travel to educate myself on the other parts of this country I have never been to.

Nobody ever goes to the north for pleasure so I'm guessing this is a business trip. If it is within your power don't go. But if it is unavoidable, here are some tips.

Stay away from crowds as much as possible. Crowds are usually the first sign of Islamic mob violence. Almajiris also operate in as pickpockets in crowds.

Try to make the acquaintance of Southern non-Muslims who have spent some time in the particular neighborhood you plan on staying in.

Don't allow yourself to end up in a situation where you will be financially dependent on any of the natives.

Don't stay in a hotel or guesthouse where most of the staff don't speak English.

Finally, don't stay long and try to avoid ever going back.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by spiralwedge(m): 10:13pm On Mar 17, 2018
Well, I'm traveling for pleasure and learning. So that means i would love to have first hand experience with the culture. I suspect it would be different from the one we experience with Northerners in the South.

I need more comments on hotels and good places to visit please. Bus fares too.

Would not mind to travel with whomever is interested to join too.
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by spiralwedge(m): 10:15pm On Mar 17, 2018
HajimeSaito:

Nobody ever goes to the north for pleasure so I'm guessing this is a business trip. If it is within your power don't go. But if it is unavoidable, here are some tips.

Stay away from crowds as much as possible. Crowds are usually the first sign of Islamic mob violence. Almajiris also operate in as pickpockets in crowds.

Try to make the acquaintance of Southern non-Muslims who have spent some time in the particular neighborhood you plan on staying in.

Don't allow yourself to end up in a situation where you will be financially dependent on any of the natives.

Don't stay in a hotel or guesthouse where most of the staff don't speak English.

Funny.

Which part of the North should I observe all these?
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by spiralwedge(m): 10:17pm On Mar 17, 2018
Sirmuel1:
Apart from some few red flags, I think Northern states are the best in Nigeria. You can go to Abuja, Nasarawa, Jos, or Kaduna. Those are the places I know and I think they are good places to visit.

Thanks.

In what order please? Whats the fare like from each of these places to another?
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by HajimeSaito(m): 10:27pm On Mar 17, 2018
spiralwedge:

Funny.

Which part of the North should I observe all these?

In all parts, especially in the far north, like Kano, Katsina, Sokoto etc
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by spiralwedge(m): 10:34pm On Mar 17, 2018
HajimeSaito:

In all parts, especially in the far north, like Kano, Katsina, Sokoto etc

Ok. I will like to see Kano, even if it's few hours.
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by Nobody: 10:42pm On Mar 17, 2018
I especially want to welcome you to the North, Jos in particular. You will notice a little change in lifestyle from the southeast & southwest zones.

Here are a few tips you need to settle with before embarking on your journey.

Never be in a hurry to catch a bus. Life here is calm and easy

If you wake up 7am and get to shower, you can still catch up to any part of town before 8am

Night life is unlike in the other part of the country. 8-9pm almost the whole town people have gone home to their loved ones. 9:30pm is like 3am in remote parts of lagos. Take note.

When you enter a taxi or keke napep (marwa as is called in Lagos), greet first or if greeted, respond as you would to a neighbor

Inquire about religious divides and warnings before you wander into the wrong part of town. Especially if you are not conversant with culture of the people. Example, you can't hold hands or express love gestures with a girl wearing hijab in Kano. Its suicide.

Aboki is not an offensive word, note that it means friend. Feel free to call any northern indigine an Aboki.

Lastly, don't insult Buhari in the presence of a Hausa man they are all ignorant sheeps. Don't praise Buhari in presence of your southerners and Easterners either, they deserve better. Unless you are a Buhari supporter then I have no business talking to you in the first place.

cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by Sirmuel1(m): 10:47pm On Mar 17, 2018
spiralwedge:

Thanks.

In what order please? Whats the fare like from each of these places to another?

I think two thousand naira should take you to Kaduna from Nyanya (Abuja).

The price varies. Though the states are not far from each other. The main problem/stress is traveling down to the North.
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by spiralwedge(m): 10:50pm On Mar 17, 2018
Sirmuel1:

I think two thousand naira should take you to Kaduna from Nyanya (Abuja).

The price varies. Though the states are not far from each other. The main problem/stress is traveling down to the North.

Thank you.

Is this order okay?

Lokoja-Abuja-Kaduna-Kano-Jos/Nassarawa?
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by Sirmuel1(m): 10:51pm On Mar 17, 2018
HajimeSaito:

Bros, there are people staying in the North, stop discouraging Op.

2 Likes

Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by Sirmuel1(m): 10:52pm On Mar 17, 2018
spiralwedge:

Thank you.

Is this order okay?

Nasarawa comes after Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by bujebudanu1(m): 5:06am On Mar 18, 2018
Just be ready to spend half of your journey hours inside vehicle on dry lands
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by spiralwedge(m): 7:03am On Mar 18, 2018
beatcoins:
I especially want to welcome you to the North, Jos in particular. You will notice a little change in lifestyle from the southeast & southwest zones.

Here are a few tips you need to settle with before embarking on your journey.

Never be in a hurry to catch a bus. Life here is calm and easy

If you wake up 7am and get to shower, you can still catch up to any part of town before 8am

Night life is unlike in the other part of the country. 8-9pm almost the whole town people have gone home to their loved ones. 9:30pm is like 3am in remote parts of lagos. Take note.

When you enter a taxi or keke napep (marwa as is called in Lagos), greet first or if greeted, respond as you would to a neighbor

Inquire about religious divides and warnings before you wander into the wrong part of town. Especially if you are not conversant with culture of the people. Example, you can't hold hands or express love gestures with a girl wearing hijab in Kano. Its suicide.

Aboki is not an offensive word, note that it means friend. Feel free to call any northern indigine an Aboki.

Lastly, don't insult Buhari in the presence of a Hausa man they are all ignorant sheeps. Don't praise Buhari in presence of your southerners and Easterners either, they deserve better. Unless you are a Buhari supporter then I have no business talking to you in the first place.

cheesy

Thank you, except for the last paragraph grin grin grin

What's the weather like in July? And any interesting places to visit in Jos? Cheap and safe hotels?
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by aumeehn: 9:07am On Mar 18, 2018
HajimeSaito:

Just listen to Yourself! Have youyou ever been to the North? Yeye dey smell while any sane Northerner will not risk going to Anambra Imo Bayelsa warri and the skull mining states in the West! You are here spewing rubbish! Where i come fromfrom we don't know kidnapping, Yahoo Yahoo, Money Ritual, Militancy and Cultism! The only state in can live in the South is Lagos!

1 Like

Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by aumeehn: 9:17am On Mar 18, 2018
spiralwedge:

Im considering...

Op if you Really want to have a Northern Experience forget about Abuja Nasarawa and Minna! Go to Bauchi and Visit Yankari Game reserve! Besides thats where you will know the real North. Next stop Enter Jos You will feel at home due the Large Christian population then Go to Kaduna a Very Liberal state that almost all the Muslim guys and girls take booz and go to strip clubs lol unlike Bauchi, Then Enter Kano the Capital of Arewa You will Yet again have another unforgettable experience visit the Zoo Cinemas and watch Kannywood Movies but get a translator! Even a Keke driver can help you, North is peaceful apart from Jos and other states that religious crisis usually occurs! Dont make the mistake of going into the Muslim territory if u are a Christian anything can happen and vise versa! My Advice op Go to Bauchi Kano Kaduna Abuja Maybe Jos! I live in the North East and its very far from The North west talk less of the South but if you can visit my state you will drink fresh cow milk daily i promise u that! Besides here is more liberal than the North West, Even the North Westerners can attest to that we flex 24/7 here no crisis no Boko haram!

4 Likes

Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by spiralwedge(m): 3:07pm On Mar 18, 2018
aumeehn:
Op if you Really want to have a Northern Experience forget about Abuja Nasarawa and Minna! Go to Bauchi and Visit Yankari Game reserve! Besides thats where you will know the real North. Next stop Enter Jos You will feel at home due the Large Christian population then Go to Kaduna a Very Liberal state that almost all the Muslim guys and girls take booz and go to strip clubs lol unlike Bauchi, Then Enter Kano the Capital of Arewa You will Yet again have another unforgettable experience visit the Zoo Cinemas and watch Kannywood Movies but get a translator! Even a Keke driver can help you, North is peaceful apart from Jos and other states that religious crisis usually occurs! Dont make the mistake of going into the Muslim territory if u are a Christian anything can happen and vise versa! My Advice op Go to Bauchi Kano Kaduna Abuja Maybe Jos! I live in the North East and its very far from The North west talk less of the South but if you can visit my state you will drink fresh cow milk daily i promise u that! Besides here is more liberal than the North West, Even the North Westerners can attest to that we flex 24/7 here no crisis no Boko haram!

Wow, thanks. I wasn't considering Bauchi until I read this. Thanks again. I will think about adding Bauchi, I still have up to July to firm it out. Are you in Bauchi?

Earlier today, after using google and the map, this is how my travel schedule looks like:-

Day 1
Lag - Lokoja = abt 9hrs= 7am-4pm= lodge
Explore Lokoja 5 - 7pm

Day 2
Explore Lokoja - 8am - 1pm
Lokoja - Kaduna - abt 5hrs - 1pm - 6pm =lodge

Day 3
Explore Kaduna, Zaria - 7am - 1pm
Zaria - Kano - 2hrs - 1pm-3pm
Explore Kano- 3-5pm
Kano - Kaduna - 2hrs- 5-7pm - lodge

Day 4
Kaduna - Jos - 5hrs - 7am - 12noon
Explore Jos - 12noon - 3pm
Jos - Makurdi - abt 5hrs - 3-8pm - lodge

Day 5
Explore Makurdi - 7-9am
Makurdi - Onitsha - abt 7hrs - 9am- 4pm - lodge
Explore Onitsha - 4-9pm

Day 6
Explore Onitsha and Asaba - 7am - 2pm
Asaba/Onitsha - Lag -6hrs - 2pm - whatever time

Low Budget Estimates
Each lodging = 3k x 5nights = 15k
Transport fares = 40k
Feeding = 2k per day x 5 = 10k
Tours n Tickets = 5k
Souvenirs + Miscl = 10k
TOTAL = N80k

Please help correct any error or say your suggestion.

Modified
I'm also looking at how to cut costs.
- I will appreciate hints on how to hitch rides at cheaper rates. (it's called Sọọlẹ in the SW).
-And also on lodgings. If I'd have co-traveler to share the amounts with.
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by Squirrel01: 5:43pm On Mar 18, 2018
also remember to travel with at least two bags of sachet water, the weather there is something else.

1 Like

Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by partnerbiz4: 6:50pm On Mar 18, 2018
But some peeps get time shaa.

Pesin dey complain say time no dey, pesin dey here they calculate how to waka about.

Nawao...
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by kagari: 7:04pm On Mar 18, 2018
spiralwedge:

Thank you.

Is this order okay?

Lokoja - abuja - suleja - Kaduna - keffi - lafia - makurdi

Or lokoja - abuja - suleja - Kaduna - kano - Kaduna - ......

1 Like

Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by kagari: 10:11pm On Mar 18, 2018
spiralwedge:

Wow, thanks. I wasn't considering Bauchi until I read this. Thanks again. I will think about adding Bauchi, I still have up to July to firm it out. Are you in Bauchi?

Earlier today, after using google and the map, this is how my travel schedule looks like:-

Day 1
Explore Lokoja 5 - 7pm

Day 2

Day 3
Explore Kano- 3-5pm

Day 4

Day 5
Explore Makurdi - 7-9am
Explore Onitsha - 4-9pm

Day 6

Low Budget Estimates
Transport fares = 40k
Tours n Tickets = 5k
Souvenirs + Miscl = 10k
TOTAL = N80k

Modified
- I will appreciate hints on how to hitch rides at cheaper rates. (it's called Sọọlẹ in the SW).

Your budget is unrealistic especially for hotels
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by aumeehn: 10:51pm On Mar 18, 2018
spiralwedge:

Day 1
Explore Lokoja 5 - 7pm

Day 2

Day 3
Explore Kano- 3-5pm

Day 4

Day 5
Explore Makurdi - 7-9am
Explore Onitsha - 4-9pm

Day 6

Low Budget Estimates
Transport fares = 40k
Tours n Tickets = 5k
Souvenirs + Miscl = 10k
TOTAL = N80k

Modified
Nice one, but i think stopping in Lokoja and Markudi is just a waste of time and resources since you said you want to visit the North, these places aren't considered as Northern Lands by the Northerners due to the Ebira and Igala majority in Lokoja and the Tiv Christians in Markudi. But that's just my opinion. You can travel direct to Bauchi from Lag, even though i dont reside in Bauchi i can still connect you with a friend that will get a good lodge for u and help u tour the city, Life there is basically cheap so u wont get too much headache, but Kaduna is a Big city so you will spend more Especially on Accommodation, nd transportation, likewise Kano Accommodation and food is not that expensive but transportation is a lil bit expensive but for a guy living in Lagos u can cope! I know Nothing bbout Jos i went there only once the religious crisis made me dislike the place.
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by spiralwedge(m): 11:32pm On Mar 18, 2018
kagari:

Your budget is unrealistic especially for hotels

With hotels.ng or similar ones, i can book such hotels once I'm ready.
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by spiralwedge(m): 11:41pm On Mar 18, 2018
aumeehn:
Nice one, but i think stopping in Lokoja and Markudi is just a waste of time and resources since you said you want to visit the North, these places aren't considered as Northern Lands by the Northerners due to the Ebira and Igala majority in Lokoja and the Tiv Christians in Markudi. But that's just my opinion. You can travel direct to Bauchi from Lag, even though i dont reside in Bauchi i can still connect you with a friend that will get a good lodge for u and help u tour the city, Life there is basically cheap so u wont get too much headache, but Kaduna is a Big city so you will spend more Especially on Accommodation, nd transportation, likewise Kano Accommodation and food is not that expensive but transportation is a lil bit expensive but for a guy living in Lagos u can cope! I know Nothing bbout Jos i went there only once the religious crisis made me dislike the place.

Thanks.

Lokoja because of the confluence of River Niger and Benue; and also for the historical sites especially Lord Lugard residence and office.

Makurdi, because it will help break the journey (i don't like journeys that are more than 7 hours) and also so that i dont travel in the night.

To cut cost, i may start coming back to Lagos from Jos on day 5 early morning.

If I am to include Bauchi, maybe it would look like this:

Lag-Lokoja-Kaduna-Kano-Bauchi-Jos-Lagos

4 sleepovers in Lokoja, Kaduna or Kano - Bauchi and Jos
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by aumeehn: 7:58am On Mar 19, 2018
spiralwedge:

Thanks.

Lokoja because of the confluence of River Niger and Benue; and also for the historical sites especially Lord Lugard residence and office.

Makurdi, because it will help break the journey (i don't like journeys that are more than 7 hours) and also so that i dont travel in the night.

To cut cost, i may start coming back to Lagos from Jos on day 5 early morning.

If I am to include Bauchi, maybe it would look like this:

Lag-Lokoja-Kaduna-Kano-Bauchi-Jos-Lagos

4 sleepovers in Lokoja, Kaduna or Kano - Bauchi and Jos
budget at least 5k for accommodation 3k is unrealistic

2 Likes

Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by solutionmi: 2:31pm On Mar 19, 2018
for first hand information on people culture and land topography go by railway and come by bus. try to visit Niger Kaduna and kano state
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by Naturalista(f): 6:18pm On Apr 03, 2018
partnerbiz4:
But some peeps get time shaa.

Pesin dey complain say time no dey, pesin dey here they calculate how to waka about.

Nawao...

You no well grin
Re: Travel To The North For The First Time. Advise by spiralwedge(m): 8:21am On Apr 10, 2018
solutionmi:
for first hand information on people culture and land topography go by railway and come by bus. try to visit Niger Kaduna and kano state

This is a good idea. How safe and how long does it take? Please share your experience.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Living In US, Shares Her Success Story / Directions On How To Get To Banana Island From Ikorodu. Urgent!!! / Breast Binding From Around The World. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.