Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,914 members, 7,835,053 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation (14251 Views)

Head Gasket Repair Costs / My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday / Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:10am On Mar 26, 2018
sidimaruf:
Sir, pls I need your input.

Weeks ago maintance required light started blinked 7 times at engine startup. I checked engine when engine was hot, and checking the engine oil, I found tinny bubbles on the dipstick. Is this normal?
Car is running good with no issues, no abnormal sound (when revving too), colllant level is normal, tranny &power steering oil are on normal level.
I decided to drain engine oil and refill again ( I also changed oil filter). Two days after changing oil I cld still find tinny bubbles again when engine is hot.

NOTE:
bubbles disappear immediately after putting off the engine. Oil level on dip stick is ok.

Car is camry 05.

Oil used is mobil xhp 20/50 ...... ( I knw ur take on this...u see I once used the total 10/40semi-syntehetic or so but oil keeps reducing bit by bit so I changed to 20/50. Even when using 20/50 oil is still reducing but at a ver very slow rate, Negligible rate) oil never gets to middle or low on dipstick)

Every Once in a while and only at cold start, engine gives blue smoke but disappers after few secs.

Thank you.

try a different brand of engine oil.
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by sidimaruf: 10:24am On Mar 26, 2018
Yes, it is a powerful, 4 cylinder, 170hp, vvt-i, 16valve engine. Engine is a beast on highways grin

I guage oil after leaving car to cool down very well. No bubbles after shutting down the engine. I wil check pcv again at another mech shop.
Thank u.

9icetoo:

new engine loading. lol. don't mind me. I assume your engine is the 4 cylinder 2azfe.
the 20w50 has done what it was designed to do to modern engines. sloooooowwwwwly kill it.
the blue smoke at start up are your valve seals starting to give up.
do you check the oil with the engine running or when you have shut down your engine and waited for about 20 minutes?
the engine oil pump churns the oil when it is working so a few bubbles aren't out of the ordinary when engine is working but if you see bubbles after you have shut the engine down for about 20 minutes, then something fishy is going on in your engine.
check your pcv and line. clean them up. the pcv gets clogged sometimes leading to crank case overpressure which may create the bubbles you are seeing.
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by sidimaruf: 10:27am On Mar 26, 2018
Already done that. I just switched to mobilxhp at my last oil draining.

GAZZUZZ:

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by sidimaruf: 10:28am On Mar 26, 2018
It is not the recommended sir.

TobidaVinci:

Sir is that the recommended oil for your car
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by Nobody: 10:32am On Mar 26, 2018
sidimaruf:

Weeks ago maintance required light started blinking 7 times at engine startup. I checked engine when engine was hot, and checking the engine oil, I found tinny bubbles on the dipstick. Is this normal?
Car is running good with no issues, no abnormal sound (when revving too), colllant level is normal, tranny &power steering oil are on normal level.
I decided to drain engine oil and refill again ( I also changed oil filter). Two days after changing oil I cld still find tinny bubbles again when engine is hot.

NOTE:
bubbles disappear immediately after putting off the engine. Oil level on dip stick is ok.

Car is camry 05.

Oil used is mobil xhp 20/50 ...... ( I knw ur take on this...u see I once used the total 10/40semi-syntehetic or so but oil keeps reducing bit by bit so I changed to 20/50. Even when using 20/50 oil is still reducing but at a ver very slow rate, Negligible rate) oil never gets to middle or low on dipstick)

Every Once in a while and only at cold start, engine gives blue smoke but disappers after few secs.

Thank you.

Did you check the oil when the engine was still hot? You should not be checking the engine oil level when the engine is still hot. If it is then some of the oil in the engine has not settled to the sump (bottom) so you are not getting a correct level reading of the oil on the dip stick.
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by Nobody: 10:35am On Mar 26, 2018
sidimaruf:
It is not the recommended sir.

Sir always try to use recommended engine oil
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by paulavon: 11:22am On Mar 26, 2018
Is there anyone driving Toyota Camry and Corolla that does not experience oil shortage within a month or two after servicing?Is it a defect?
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by Day169: 11:24am On Mar 26, 2018
aieromon:

Dues paid as a result of ignorance you mean tongue
..every young man (you incusive) starts out in life being ignorant of many things. smiley
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by sidimaruf: 11:49am On Mar 26, 2018
Hmmm.cld this be true

paulavon:
Is there anyone driving Toyota Camry and Corolla that does not experience oil shortage within a month or two after servicing?Is it a defect?
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by mayor2013: 11:50am On Mar 26, 2018
sidimaruf:
Hmmm.cld this be true

Absolutely wrong. Check for external oil leaks to start with
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by handsomeyinka(m): 12:08pm On Mar 26, 2018
sidimaruf:

Weeks ago maintance required light started blinking 7 times at engine startup. I checked engine when engine was hot, and checking the engine oil, I found tinny bubbles on the dipstick. Is this normal?

NOTE:

Car is camry 05.

Thank you.

There's a difference between maintenance required and check engine light.
A check engine light will require a scan to get the code while a maintenance required light comes on to remind you to change your oil. It comes on 5,000 miles after the last time it was reset.
Do you know how to reset your maintenance required light?
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by jobbers: 12:11pm On Mar 26, 2018
oh
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by sidimaruf: 12:31pm On Mar 26, 2018
I just changed the oil and the filter. The maintainance required ight still blinks at startup.
I dont know how to reset on my own. But I intend to take the car to my electrician this weekend to scan a d reset the thing.
Thanks
handsomeyinka:

There's a difference between maintenance required and check engine light.
A check engine light will require a scan to get the code while a maintenance required light comes on to remind you to change your oil. It comes on 5,000 miles after the last time it was reset.
Do you know how to reset your maintenance required light?
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by oluwaseunla(m): 12:55pm On Mar 26, 2018
Hahnemann:

Do u mean we shold always fill in d coolant normally into the water department. What if it mixes with the water already in d car?

Drain water completely from radiator, refill with coolant.
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by handsomeyinka(m): 1:47pm On Mar 26, 2018
sidimaruf:
I just changed the oil and the filter. The maintainance required ight still blinks at startup.
I dont know how to reset on my own. But I intend to take the car to my electrician this weekend to scan a d reset the thing.
Thanks
It's very easy just Turn the ignition key to 'ON' and press the odometer button until the display reads ODO (not Trip A or B). Hold in the same button you used in step 1. While holding the button in, turn the ignition key to ON. Then the Maintenance Required light should blink and go out.
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:05pm On Mar 26, 2018
sidimaruf:
Thanks

there is a reset procedure hiding the trip reset button with the key in ignition. Google it and watch the video of how it's done.
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by sidimaruf: 2:10pm On Mar 26, 2018
Ok. If I do this will it reset my odo miles reading to 00000. ?

handsomeyinka:

It's very easy just Turn the ignition key to 'ON' and press the odometer button until the display reads ODO (not Trip A or B). Hold in the same button you used in step 1. While holding the button in, turn the ignition key to ON. Then the Maintenance Required light should blink and go out.
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by handsomeyinka(m): 2:58pm On Mar 26, 2018
sidimaruf:
Ok. If I do this will it reset my odo miles reading to 00000. ?

No...your odometer reading will remain the same.
Just push the black knob on your cluster ( speedometer) and hold it for like 10 secs,while holding it put the key in the ignition and turn On the ignition but don't start the car.
After 10 secs leave the knob and start the car.it will clear off the maintenance required light.
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by sidimaruf: 3:18pm On Mar 26, 2018
Lol. I quickly left my desk to give it a try. It worked.
I started the car a couple more times and the light is not blinking again.
Thank you sir. wink

handsomeyinka:

No...your odometer reading will remain the same.
Just push the black knob on your cluster ( speedometer) and hold it for like 10 secs,while holding it put the key in the ignition and turn On the ignition but don't start the car.
After 10 secs leave the knob and start the car.it will clear off the maintenance required light.
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by handsomeyinka(m): 3:32pm On Mar 26, 2018
sidimaruf:
Lol. I quickly left my desk to give it a try. It worked.
I started the car a couple more times and the light is not blinking again.
Thank you sir. wink

No problem..am glad I was able to help you.
Let me know if you have any other questions,I'll be glad to help.Moreso,Kudos to nairaland.
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by cyborg123(m): 4:12pm On Mar 26, 2018
sidimaruf:

NOTE:

Car is camry 05.

Thank you.

Hope your oil level is not above the maximum mark?
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by sidimaruf: 4:48pm On Mar 26, 2018
Oil level os normal. Not above maximum mark

cyborg123:

Hope your oil level is not above the maximum mark?
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by sidimaruf: 4:48pm On Mar 26, 2018
No problems except for the tinny bubbles on dipstick when engine is hot. Am nt sure if thats a problem.

handsomeyinka:

No problem..am glad I was able to help you.
Let me know if you have any other questions,I'll be glad to help.Moreso,Kudos to nairaland.
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by cyborg123(m): 4:53pm On Mar 26, 2018
sidimaruf:
Oil level os normal. Not above maximum mark

ok. I don't think there's anything to worry about then.
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by dru23(m): 7:18pm On Mar 26, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Try this and avoid sludges in your car Engine... coming from the old good USA 16k for give quarts.. Enough to do your oil change and extra left wink

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:23pm On Mar 26, 2018
dru23:

Try this and avoid sludges in your car Engine... coming from the old good USA 16k for give quarts.. Enough to do your oil change and extra left wink

stop smoking, stop smoking, you will not hear word, now you are quoting wrong person tongue
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by 9icetoo(m): 10:11pm On Mar 26, 2018
paulavon:
it is a defect. some do burn oil, some don't. if you are burning more than a litre every 1000 kilometers, then you have a bad engine. new engine loading. grin
paulavon:
it is a defect. some do burn oil, some don't. if you are burning more than a litre every 1000 kilometers, then you have a bad engine. new engine loading.
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by dru23(m): 11:42pm On Mar 26, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

stop smoking, stop smoking, you will not hear word, now you are quoting wrong person tongue

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by dru23(m): 12:03am On Mar 27, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Whether I dey smoke something or not ... u go see me for dat ur shop

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by Bizzyliss(m): 12:59pm On Mar 27, 2018
dru23:

i need this oil asap and t iv gear oil
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by dru23(m): 1:12pm On Mar 27, 2018
Bizzyliss:
i need this oil asap and t iv gear oil

Please bare with me . Am working on bringing the oil down from the states... please, once I have it I will post it on nairaland.. Thanks for anticipation, am grateful
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by dru23(m): 1:16pm On Mar 27, 2018
9icetoo:

it is a defect. some do burn oil, some don't. if you are burning more than a litre every 1000 kilometers, then you have a bad engine. new engine loading. grin
it is a defect. some do burn oil, some don't. if you are burning more than a litre every 1000 kilometers, then you have a bad engine. new engine loading.

Talking from experience.... It depends on the oil you are using too. Any high mileage car should use synethic oil. It is recommended for high miles car . .. Am Base in the states my own car uses synethic oil , talk less of naija cars used on uber bro just use this mobil..... Am bringing them pretty please check nairaland from time to time

(1) (2) (Reply)

NADDC Director-General, Jelani Aliyu Visits Innoson In Nnewi / How To Calculate Fuel Consumption In Your Car Using Innoson G5 As A Case-study / Cars Names And Their Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.