Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,600 members, 7,812,960 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation (14178 Views)

My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday / 5 Reasons For A Blown Head Gasket / Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by AutoJoshNIG: 11:48am On Mar 19, 2018

A lot of people do hear of head gasket blowing but don’t have the basic knowledge of how it works and what will lead to this blowing.

This post is here to address the issue.

At the end of this post, you will know the work of the head gasket, what might cause it to blow and how to possibly prevent it from blowing.

Before we proceed, let’s know what the head gasket does in cars.

Head gasket is a gasket that sits between the engine block and cylinder heads in an internal combustion engine. Its purpose is to seal the cylinders to ensure maximum compression and avoid leakage of coolant or engine oil into the cylinders.

The head gasket also acts as a passageway for motor oil and coolant, and keeps the chambers separated so there is no mixing of the two liquids.

These liquids should stay separated at all times because they serve completely different purpose.

Let’s now move to what will cause your head gasket to blow.

Engine overheat/Extreme engine temperature.

This has been the most common cause of blown head gasket. When the engine starts running hotter than it was designed to, a lot of things might go wrong.

When an overheating engine is not properly handled, it might result to blown head gasket. Prolonged engine usage at high RPM is also a cause of engine overheat

What will be the effect of driving a car with blown head gasket?
Operating your car with a bad or blown head gasket will certainly lead to engine damage. The moment your head gasket got ruined, a time bomb for your engine destruction will just be activated.

If the fault is detected on time and properly handled, it may save you the cost of replacing the entire engine and other parts that could get damaged as a result of the blown head gasket.

What symptoms will tell me I have a blown head gasket?

1. Abnormally high engine temperature:

This is the most obvious of all the symptoms. This is a cause of blown head gasket as well as a symptom. Once the head gasket is damaged, the engine temperature will sky rocket.

2. Low coolant level:
This is because a blown head gasket will always leak coolants.

3. Sluggish car performance:
Your vehicle will stop running smoothly as it used to. You’ll notice your engine stall, jolt slutter. Your engine will lose power.

4. Engine oil discolouration:

This is as a result of coolant mixing with the engine oil. This will appear lighter than normal, and will take almost a milk-chocolate-like colour. You’ll notice this when you use your dipstick to check your car oil level.

5. Light-colored smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe:

The smoke could be gray or white in colour. This is because the damaged head gasket allowed coolant to leak into the combustion chamber. This will alter the right combustion of air and fuel.

When you notice these symptoms, have your car checked ASAP to avoid things getting out of hand.

https://autojosh.com/explanation-head-gasket-blown/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by nurey(m): 1:17pm On Mar 19, 2018
front page material.

A blown gasket means your engine will lose compression in other words, that car cannot move an inch from the dead position except if acted upon by an external force in any form.

shout out to physics student may jamb never jam us grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:14pm On Mar 19, 2018
Not detailed enough, I will modify and explain better later

Major cause of a damaged head gasket is extreem temperatures, this will certainly cause head gasket damage, but it does more than that in modern day engines.
Most engines are made up of 2 basic components,
the head Cylinder and the block, in older engines the block is made of cast iron, while the head is made from aluminum. In newer engines the block and the head Cylinder are made from aluminum.

here's the Bummer, in sever cases of overheating when the engine looses compression, the head Cylinder gets warped (uneven surface) same with the block.

The Normal Nigerian mentality is to jump at replacing the head gasket with a graphite head gasket, remove the Thermostat and connect the fans directly. (Resulting if increase fuel consumption)

Now that could work for a few weeks, but after a while you are back to square one, which is a damaged head gasket. The reason is the mating surfaces are not overlapping evenly, and the heat from combustion will easily destroy the graphite head gasket at the uneven points.

proper repair procedures are required before replacing the head gasket of a vehicle, it could include replacing all valve seals and piston rings and even the block. Skimming the head is unavoidable if you want a lasting repair job. Also replacing radiator and installing coolant will help keep temperatures in check.

finally if you are driving and notice a spike in engine temperature, please park and leave car to cool of until you can touch the engine with your bare hands. Pouring water into an extremely hot engine will cause rapid uneven contraction of metals which could cause cracks in block or head.

Also if your vehicle has a bleeding procedure ensure you follow it to avoid air pockets which will certainly cause overheating if not eliminated.

finally when buying a car (Nigerian used or toks) ensure it comes with a metal head gasket and not graphite that way you are certain engine has not been tampered with. (Not in every case)

You can read more on head gaskets (page 2) https://www.nairaland.com/4143465/guide-buying-nigerian-used-car/2

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by dinyelutochukwu: 4:32pm On Mar 19, 2018
[quote author=GAZZUZZ post=65971201]Not detailed enough, I will modify and explain better later[/quote

I’m experiencing this on my Camry.
Can the situation be salvaged?
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by LeJeun3: 10:31pm On Mar 19, 2018

Many modern cars deviate from these....

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by AutoJoshNIG: 11:32pm On Mar 19, 2018
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by RZArecta2(m): 12:37am On Mar 20, 2018
Always remember village witches cool
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by Mynd44: 6:58am On Mar 20, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
Tag me when you do sir.

Lets have views from everyone

1 Like

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:45am On Mar 21, 2018
Mynd44:

Tag me when you do sir.

Lets have views from everyone

done

1 Like

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by oluwaseunla(m): 8:20am On Mar 21, 2018
Most cases of blown head gasket in our environment results from overheating. Sadly, because of the anti-thermostat gang, many people don't know how to troubleshoot overheating, other than removing thermostat and running fans direct, ignoring other components of the cooling system.

I recently had an interesting case of an overheating due to rust in the system that affected the water pump. The system got so rusted that the fins of the water pump disintegrated and 'disappeared' into the engine block till this moment. Find pix of the water pump and what it should look like in the attached pix.

Prevent rust, use a coolant instead of water, cooling system components will last longer and you will have less to do with overheating or burnt head gasket. It's not all about thermostat and fans.

Prevention is always better than cure.

3 Likes

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by deathwing(m): 10:27am On Mar 21, 2018
Wow. The fins are gone shocked shocked

oluwaseunla:
Most cases of blown head gasket in our environment results from overheating. Sadly, because of the anti-thermostat gang, many people don't know how to troubleshoot overheating, other than removing thermostat and running fans direct, ignoring other components of the cooling system.

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by AutoJoshNIG: 11:20pm On Mar 25, 2018
cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by mayor2013: 7:25am On Mar 26, 2018
Overheating the most deadly problem that kills the career of your engine in time grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by Nwaohafia1: 7:30am On Mar 26, 2018
ok
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by Nwaohafia1: 7:35am On Mar 26, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Major cause of a damaged head gasket is extreem temperatures, this will certainly cause head gasket damage, but it does more than that in modern day engines.
the head Cylinder and the block, in older engines the block is made of cast iron, while the head is made from aluminum. In newer engines the block and the head Cylinder are made from aluminum.

here's the Bummer, in sever cases of overheating when the engine looses compression, the head Cylinder gets warped (uneven surface) same with the block.

The Normal Nigerian mentality is to jump at replacing the head gasket with a graphite head gasket, remove the Thermostat and connect the fans directly. (Resulting if increase fuel consumption)

Now that could work for a few weeks, but after a while you are back to square one, which is a damaged head gasket. The reason is the mating surfaces are not overlapping evenly, and the heat from combustion will easily destroy the graphite head gasket at the uneven points.

proper repair procedures are required before replacing the head gasket of a vehicle, it could include replacing all valve seals and piston rings and even the block. Skimming the head is unavoidable if you want a lasting repair job. Also replacing radiator and installing coolant will help keep temperatures in check.

finally if you are driving and notice a spike in engine temperature, please park and leave car to cool of until you can touch the engine with your bare hands. Pouring water into an extremely hot engine will cause rapid uneven contraction of metals which could cause cracks in block or head.

Also if your vehicle has a bleeding procedure ensure you follow it to avoid air pockets which will certainly cause overheating if not eliminated.

finally when buying a car (Nigerian used or toks) ensure it comes with a metal head gasket and not graphite that way you are certain engine has not been tampered with. (Not in every case)

You can read more on head gaskets (page 2) https://www.nairaland.com/4143465/guide-buying-nigerian-used-car/2

With this kind of English...i don't believe you learnt your mechanic in a Nigerian garage. Where did you do your boy-boy? grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by gmoney12: 7:38am On Mar 26, 2018
nice
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by Hahnemann: 7:45am On Mar 26, 2018
oluwaseunla:

I recently had an interesting case of an overheating due to rust in the system that affected the water pump. The system got so rusted that the fins of the water pump disintegrated and 'disappeared' into the engine block till this moment. Find pix of the water pump and what it should look like in the attached pix.

Prevent rust, use a coolant instead of water, cooling system components will last longer and you will have less to do with overheating or burnt head gasket. It's not all about thermostat and fans.

Do u mean we shold always fill in d coolant normally into the water department. What if it mixes with the water already in d car?
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by Day169: 7:45am On Mar 26, 2018
..if you've never had a blown gasket as a car owner in Nigeria, then you haven't paid your dues yet. cheesy
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by 3kay945(m): 8:02am On Mar 26, 2018
Day169:
..if you've never had a blown gasket as a car owner in Nigeria, then you haven't paid your dues yet. cheesy

My radiator has boiled water twice, I didn't have gasket problem. cool

3 Likes

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by aieromon(m): 8:05am On Mar 26, 2018
Day169:

Dues paid as a result of ignorance you mean tongue

2 Likes

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by Day169: 8:27am On Mar 26, 2018
3kay945:

My radiator has boiled water twice, I didn't have gasket problem. cool
Fortunate you! wink

1 Like

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by soberdrunk(m): 8:29am On Mar 26, 2018
AutoJoshNIG:

A lot of people do hear of head gasket blowing but don’t have the basic knowledge of how it works and what will lead to this blowing.

This post is here to address the issue.

At the end of this post, you will know the work of the head gasket, what might cause it to blow and how to possibly prevent it from blowing.

Before we proceed, let’s know what the head gasket does in cars.

Head gasket is a gasket that sits between the engine block and cylinder heads in an internal combustion engine. Its purpose is to seal the cylinders to ensure maximum compression and avoid leakage of coolant or engine oil into the cylinders.

The head gasket also acts as a passageway for motor oil and coolant, and keeps the chambers separated so there is no mixing of the two liquids.

These liquids should stay separated at all times because they serve completely different purpose.

Let’s now move to what will cause your head gasket to blow.

Engine overheat/Extreme engine temperature.

This has been the most common cause of blown head gasket. When the engine starts running hotter than it was designed to, a lot of things might go wrong.

When an overheating engine is not properly handled, it might result to blown head gasket. Prolonged engine usage at high RPM is also a cause of engine overheat

What will be the effect of driving a car with blown head gasket?
Operating your car with a bad or blown head gasket will certainly lead to engine damage. The moment your head gasket got ruined, a time bomb for your engine destruction will just be activated.

If the fault is detected on time and properly handled, it may save you the cost of replacing the entire engine and other parts that could get damaged as a result of the blown head gasket.

What symptoms will tell me I have a blown head gasket?

1. Abnormally high engine temperature:

This is the most obvious of all the symptoms. This is a cause of blown head gasket as well as a symptom. Once the head gasket is damaged, the engine temperature will sky rocket.

2. Low coolant level:
This is because a blown head gasket will always leak coolants.

3. Sluggish car performance:
Your vehicle will stop running smoothly as it used to. You’ll notice your engine stall, jolt slutter. Your engine will lose power.

4. Engine oil discolouration:

This is as a result of coolant mixing with the engine oil. This will appear lighter than normal, and will take almost a milk-chocolate-like colour. You’ll notice this when you use your dipstick to check your car oil level.

5. Light-colored smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe:

The smoke could be gray or white in colour. This is because the damaged head gasket allowed coolant to leak into the combustion chamber. This will alter the right combustion of air and fuel.

When you notice these symptoms, have your car checked ASAP to avoid things getting out of hand.

https://autojosh.com/explanation-head-gasket-blown/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

Bros Abeg as i start my Kia Rio fuel pours like shower from under the engine, what could be the cause? Mechanic that i trust is out of town and i want to call a new mechanic so i want to have an idea of the problem before them collect money way nor dey from my hand....... angry
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by nonix22(m): 8:40am On Mar 26, 2018
just park the ride for one corner while your trusted mechanic returns, and save your self the stress. maybe your fuel line from your engine to the fuel tank is disconnected or broken
soberdrunk:

Bros Abeg as i start my Kia Rio fuel pours like shower from under the engine, what could be the cause? Mechanic that i trust is out of town and i want to call a new mechanic so i want to have an idea of the problem before them collect money way nor dey from my hand....... angry

2 Likes

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by soberdrunk(m): 8:43am On Mar 26, 2018
nonix22:
just park the ride for one corner while your trusted mechanic returns, and save your self the stress. maybe your fuel line from your engine to the fuel tank is disconnected or broken

So the prognosis is Nothing serious abi?
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by nonix22(m): 8:47am On Mar 26, 2018
this your medical term this early morning na wa o.
I can't say exactly man. If you have an alternative of moving around, just park the car. cos mechanics and auto wire go use you do Easter and you might not still fix the ride o.
soberdrunk:

So the prognosis is Nothing serious abi?

2 Likes

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by sidimaruf: 9:16am On Mar 26, 2018
Sir, pls I need your input.

Weeks ago maintance required light started blinking 7 times at engine startup. I checked engine when engine was hot, and checking the engine oil, I found tinny bubbles on the dipstick. Is this normal?
Car is running good with no issues, no abnormal sound (when revving too), colllant level is normal, tranny &power steering oil are on normal level.
I decided to drain engine oil and refill again ( I also changed oil filter). Two days after changing oil I cld still find tinny bubbles again when engine is hot.

NOTE:
bubbles disappear immediately after putting off the engine. Oil level on dip stick is ok.

Car is camry 05.

Oil used is mobil xhp 20/50 ...... ( I knw ur take on this...u see I once used the total 10/40semi-syntehetic or so but oil keeps reducing bit by bit so I changed to 20/50. Even when using 20/50 oil is still reducing but at a ver very slow rate, Negligible rate) oil never gets to middle or low on dipstick)

Every Once in a while and only at cold start, engine gives blue smoke but disappers after few secs.

Thank you.

GAZZUZZ:

Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by miqos02(m): 9:23am On Mar 26, 2018
Hmmm
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by 9icetoo(m): 9:50am On Mar 26, 2018
sidimaruf:

Weeks ago maintance required light started blinked 7 times at engine startup. I checked engine when engine was hot, and checking the engine oil, I found tinny bubbles on the dipstick. Is this normal?
Car is running good with no issues, no abnormal sound (when revving too), colllant level is normal, tranny &power steering oil are on normal level.
I decided to drain engine oil and refill again ( I also changed oil filter). Two days after changing oil I cld still find tinny bubbles again when engine is hot.

NOTE:
bubbles disappear immediately after putting off the engine. Oil level on dip stick is ok.

Car is camry 05.

Oil used is mobil xhp 20/50 ...... ( I knw ur take on this...u see I once used the total 10/40semi-syntehetic or so but oil keeps reducing bit by bit so I changed to 20/50. Even when using 20/50 oil is still reducing but at a ver very slow rate, Negligible rate) oil never gets to middle or low on dipstick)

Every Once in a while and only at cold start, engine gives blue smoke but disappers after few secs.

Thank you.

new engine loading. lol. don't mind me. I assume your engine is the 4 cylinder 2azfe.
the 20w50 has done what it was designed to do to modern engines. sloooooowwwwwly kill it.
the blue smoke at start up are your valve seals starting to give up.
do you check the oil with the engine running or when you have shut down your engine and waited for about 20 minutes?
the engine oil pump churns the oil when it is working so a few bubbles aren't out of the ordinary when engine is working but if you see bubbles after you have shut the engine down for about 20 minutes, then something fishy is going on in your engine.
check your pcv and line. clean them up. the pcv gets clogged sometimes leading to crank case overpressure which may create the bubbles you are seeing.
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by mayor2013: 9:58am On Mar 26, 2018
sidimaruf:

Weeks ago maintance required light started blinked 7 times at engine startup. I checked engine when engine was hot, and checking the engine oil, I found tinny bubbles on the dipstick. Is this normal?

NOTE:

Car is camry 05.

Thank you.

Valve stem seals are bad. Have them replaced . That's the reason why your engine smokes at first start in the morning. Oil leaks through the seal and finds its way into combustion chamber. Have this fixed and oil shortage would dissappear
Re: Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 26, 2018
sidimaruf:

Weeks ago maintance required light started blinking 7 times at engine startup. I checked engine when engine was hot, and checking the engine oil, I found tinny bubbles on the dipstick. Is this normal?

NOTE:

Car is camry 05.

Thank you.

Sir is that the recommended oil for your car

(1) (2) (Reply)

All U Need To Know About OBD3 / Black Carbon In My Car Exhaust / Difference Btw Benz CLK,AMG,KOMPRESSOR ETC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.