Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,865 members, 7,817,562 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

Traditional African Religion - Questions - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Traditional African Religion - Questions (1046 Views)

I Asked ChatGPT (AI) If African Religion Will Rise Again In Future. And It Said: / African Religion Is The Worship Of Legendary Kings And Queens Not Pagan Beliefs / African Religion:The Cosmic Religion Of Magi, Alphabets Were First Used For Juju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional African Religion - Questions by revontuli(f): 11:19pm On Mar 21, 2018
I'm curious about juju and native religions.
Do the juju priests summon spirits? Or travel to the astral themselves and negotiate with the spirits/gods there?
I know a bit about the pagan religion and witchcraft of Yoruba origin practiced in Latin America (Santeria) but next to nothing about the living African native religion and juju practices.
I see a lot of info about the money rituals involving gruesome murder, but that can't be the only kind of magic practice. The other example I saw was Oba of Benin lifting curses to help out the sex trafficking victims.
Are there witchcraft practices for good purpose like healing, helping marriage problems, not involving any blood?
Any distinct divination, fortune telling practices? Dream interpretations? What do they do for banishing the bad spirits/energies?
Re: Traditional African Religion - Questions by Favor99(m): 7:07am On Mar 22, 2018
And once you get this information from our people you'll take it and not give credit to the African people. Whites have done this for centuries. Once you share this info with your people it will be intentionally forgotten that it came from Africa.

3 Likes

Re: Traditional African Religion - Questions by FeelDeMusic: 7:50pm On Apr 14, 2018
revontuli:
I'm curious about juju and native religions.
Do the juju priests summon spirits? Or travel to the astral themselves and negotiate with the spirits/gods there?
I know a bit about the pagan religion and witchcraft of Yoruba origin practiced in Latin America (Santeria) but next to nothing about the living African native religion and juju practices.
I see a lot of info about the money rituals involving gruesome murder, but that can't be the only kind of magic practice. The other example I saw was Oba of Benin lifting curses to help out the sex trafficking victims.
Are there witchcraft practices for good purpose like healing, helping marriage problems, not involving any blood?
Any distinct divination, fortune telling practices? Dream interpretations? What do they do for banishing the bad spirits/energies?
Honestly, I hate the word "juju" being applied to this kind of stuff--to me, it's as if someone would call Wiccan practices "hocus pocus", it just sounds like a very childish term in my eyes.

Funnily enough, the word "juju" actually comes from the French word "jou jou", meaning "plaything". When French colonists came to Western Africa and saw many peoples wearing these amulets and all, they seemed like toys to the French so thus "jou jou".

I really can't put my opinions/answers to this question here as I don't live in Africa, I don't live in Nigeria and thus I really don't know much about this situation. However I am aware that these despicable bastards began practicing these rituals so prevalent now all thanks to Nollywood. You can argue that these things were in place before then but I honestly beg to differ.

Also the idea that you can kill for wealth is nothing new.. it's just a perpetuated popular superstition that has been here for centuries.

1 Like

Re: Traditional African Religion - Questions by FeelDeMusic: 7:51pm On Apr 14, 2018
Favor99:
And once you get this information from our people you'll take it and not give credit to the African people. Whites have done this for centuries. Once you share this info with your people it will be intentionally forgotten that it came from Africa.

I'm confused as to what you're saying.
Re: Traditional African Religion - Questions by revontuli(f): 5:05pm On Oct 13, 2018
FeelDeMusic:

I'm confused as to what you're saying.

He's being a silly conspiracy theorist cheesy
Re: Traditional African Religion - Questions by FeelDeMusic: 8:06am On Dec 17, 2018
revontuli:

He's being a silly conspiracy theorist cheesy
Ah LOL, I see.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Churches Holding Champions League Final Free Shows / Countdown To The 3rd Year Anniversary Of Jehovah's Imprisonment / Salvation Ministry Founder, Pastor David Ibiyeomie As He Celebrates His Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.