Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,442 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics (28204 Views)

AEDC Slashes Power Bill By More Than 68% In Compliance With NERC's Order (Pics) / AEDC Restores Light In Kawu Niger State After 30 Years As Residents Dance / Melaye’s Children Sleep In Darkness After Police Refused AEDC To Reconnect Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by CocoaOla: 10:16am On Mar 22, 2018
you dey enjoy now you get meter we that are receiving estamated killing billing without light nko fraud scam
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by damseremie(m): 10:18am On Mar 22, 2018
AT OP
I assume you are in a residential building , so you should be on the R2(residential) rate of N24.3 per unit.
(See details of the tariffs here http://www.abujaelectricity.com/?page_id=29)
that means your average units on a N1000 charge should be
1000/24.3 , approximately 41 units, but they also subtract tax first so it will be more like 38 units.

If you were really getting up to 71 units before, then you were receiving 50 free units each month which was been given to those who paid for their meters.

As for what changed now, if you scroll lower and you can screengrab the full payment from buypower and you will probably see it. There will be a section called "debt". basically you were owing a debt to PHCN, probably before the meter was installed when you were on estimated billing.(it may even be from a previous tenant)
What they do is to add the debt to your new meter.
Before January this year, they were only taking 50% of what you load to pay the debt and then giving you the remaining 50% as units (in your case that will be like 20 units in addition to your 50 free units to get about 70 units).

Since January they changed their policy to take 80% of what you owe and only give you 20% as units. It seems your free 50 units as also finished.
So you are now getting only 20% , that is like N200 worth of units for every 1000 you load, until the debt is paid.

Over the last two months, i have been "fighting" them , that's how i got this information

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by ryusufu(m): 10:20am On Mar 22, 2018
still cheaper than the one kano electricity distribution company sells. N1000 gives you 18 units in Kano
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by osuofia2(m): 10:20am On Mar 22, 2018
chloedogie:
Hello guys, just as a way of being conservative, I do buy 1000 naira worth of units for my phcn prepaid meter which gives me 71 units. Going to the office I saw the unit read 4.7 units left. I logged into my buypower account and did my normal1000 naira of 71 units only to see just 17 units. Got angry and felt maybe buypower are the dishonest ones here I just logged into vtpass and low and behold, I was given 19.6 units for 1100 naira. Please when did the distribution companies and ministry of power hiked the tariffs by almost 300% Is this peculiar to me? Of it is a general issue then we all need to speak up. We are customers and stakeholders how could they take such a decision without our consent and with that dangerous percentage increase? Please the MODS should let us all see this. See pictures below. Another question I want to ask just like we pay between 143 and 145 naira per litre of fuel, how much are we being charges per kilowatt for residential buildings? What is the standard ministry of power approi rates I'm conjunction with the DISCOS

i bought 800 for 30 UNITS
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by chloedogie(m): 10:20am On Mar 22, 2018
CocoaOla:
you dey enjoy now you get meter we that are estamated killing billing without light nko fraud scam

Your own better now. 17units for 1k. If my fridge and freezers are on with AC overnight considering the heat in Abuja, the 17 units will be gone in a day. So invariably I spend 7k per week and 31k per month. Do you pay 30k per month as estimated bill.
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by DAYTEECOM(m): 10:22am On Mar 22, 2018
YOU DONT NEED TO PAY 100NAIRA CHARGES B4 YOU CAN GET UR PREPAID METER TOKEN OF ALL DISCOS....GET IT HERE @50NAIRA FEE....[url]smedata.com.ng[/url]
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by femlex(m): 10:22am On Mar 22, 2018
Jojoki16:
I reside around Dutse/Kubwa, Abuja. I recharged #4900 few days ago and was given 196 units. but before I used to get like 200+ units for same price.

Well, I can't say it is not true, I bought that if 3000 2 days ago, and I got 58 unit, previously, 3000 gives a little above 100units,

I have not had the time to visit the Vendor for explanation, but with this post, I think it is not only me.

Before the end of next week, I believe more people will be aware of this and speak out. This is just fraud.
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by chloedogie(m): 10:24am On Mar 22, 2018
osuofia2:

i bought 800 for 30 UNITS

Why do we have different values? I know the prices with all the DISCOS should slightly differ as a marketing strategy but I used to get 56 units for 500 naira at a time. The thing just dey change and dangle like Buhari's government. LOL.
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by brodachu: 10:24am On Mar 22, 2018
chloedogie:
Hello guys, just as a way of being conservative, I do buy 1000 naira worth of units for my phcn prepaid meter which gives me 71 units. Going to the office I saw the unit read 4.7 units left. I logged into my buypower account and did my normal1000 naira of 71 units only to see just 17 units.

You most likely have a debt owed to AEDC and it's being deducted.
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by osuofia2(m): 10:24am On Mar 22, 2018
yesloaded:
But for more about 3years now, I've been getting 38inits on 1,000naira recharge. I wonder how you managed to get 71units all this while.

IBDC must be criminal for giving me 38unit on 1k recharge
i am surprise how and where he gets his 71units for 1k for.. because normally my 1k recharge from AEDC IS 38 UNITS
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by brodachu: 10:26am On Mar 22, 2018
osuofia2:

i am surprise how and where he gets his 71units for 1k for.. because normally my 1k recharge from AEDC IS 38 UNITS

You are correct! 38 Units
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by osuofia2(m): 10:29am On Mar 22, 2018
chloedogie:

Your own better now. 17units for 1k. If my fridge and freezers are on with AC overnight considering the heat in Abuja, the 17 units will be gone in a day. So invariably I spend 7k per week and 31k per month. Do you pay 30k per month as estimated bill.
But fridge and freezer doesn't consume much
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by chloedogie(m): 10:30am On Mar 22, 2018
brodachu:

You most likely have a debt owed to AEDC and it's being deducted.

From day one I never owed them one naira. So na dem know wetin dem dey deduct. As for me, I will never bypass their connections but I'm 100% sure if they don't adjust this nonsense, 90% of all prepaid customers will always bypass the meter and be using free power. They will distribute kilowatts worth 10million naira and get 1.5million naira returns.
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by Fela4ese: 10:33am On Mar 22, 2018
johnime:
A thread on why PREPAID METER being distributed TO ALL may never be achieved in Nigeria.
After the Nigerian Police, Nigerian Electricity distribution companies are next on the list when it comes to corruption. This has been in existence from time immemorial, just like barracks, many government have come and gone but the deep rooted corruption in the system remains

In April 2016, I moved in to my current apartment. The apartment was still connected to an old meter and there was an outstanding payment of about N385,000.00 to be paid. This wasn't revealed to me before I made payment for the rent, as usual (that's how they all do).This became a worry and an absolute headache. I asked the landlord why it was so and she made me understand that the apartment was not in use for 5years.I asked how come it wasn't reported to NEPA so they'd stop the billing, she gave me a copy of the letter she wrote to them. So I took the matter up, wrote several mails to Eko electricity company and the matter was on for 11months, note that in the space of this 11 months, I never got a monthly bill lesser than 24,000.00. You want to ask if I have a factory in my apartment? No I don't. So it extended from wanting the company to zerorize the ridiculous outstanding balance in the billing account to fighting and contesting the outrageous billing system which do not in any way represent my true electricity consumption and wanting a Prepaid Meter

The battle began.
After several exchange of mails betweens myself and Eko Electric and no solution was forthcoming, I moved the matter to NERC, the regulatory body for all electricity distribution companies in Nigeria. I filed a petition against Ekedp and the undertaking in charge of my area.

Lo and behold, after three days from the petition submission to NERC, I got a call from the marketing manager for my area pleading for me to make myself available to allow them come to my house and take inventory of the electrical appliances I use.

NERC is working yeah? Right. A staff of the Ekedp came to take the inventory and at the end of the computations, we calculated and multiplied each appliance by the estimated units they consume per day and multiplied by 31days.

Recall I said I never got a bill less than 24k in a month?Then we arrived at a figure that even the Eko electric staff who came to take the inventory opened his mouth and couldn't close it. What I should be billed based on having 24hour light per day(which is not even possible) in 31 days was 4,800.00. I almost ran mad. I took a copy of the report, scanned it and attached it to my next petition to NERC.
At this point, the marketing manager attached to my undertaking had started calling and begging me to stop the petitions. That they could all get sacked if matters gets escalated further.Then in September 2017, after all the troubles and how I never got tired if pursuing the issue, I got a mail from Eko electricity to come with some required documents in order to fill a form for a PREPAID METER.

I went there and did as they requested.
At Last, on 27 November 2017, I was on leave.
I was at my gate then this Alfa looking guy was parading and trying to see house number on the fence. My instinct told me to ask if he was asking for Ayo, then he said yes. He was the prepaid meter installer, he was with my new prepaid meter. I also recall that before the whole issue started, I was discouraged severally that I can never be given prepaid meter due to the outstanding balance on the billing account, I paid no mind to all the people that said that and went ahead with my case.
I got the Prepaid meter for FREE. After a week, bill was brought and boom, outstanding balance has been cleared from 385,000.00 to zero balance.
How did I achieve this? I mean I didn't pay a dime to anyone and I never for once bribed my way in all my dealings.I achieved this simply because;

1. I knew my right.
2. I wouldn't settle for mediocrity
3. I never stopped pushing even after several months and it seemed unachievable
4. I was ready to take the matter up anywhere
5. I was informed.

Now imagine how many people are out there who don't even know how to go about such tedious and draining process. I learnt that a lot of people even paid as much as 40k to get the prepaid meter. Something that's supposed to be free. Since the prepaid meter was installed in November 27 2017, I have not exhausted the 303 units that came with it which is calculated to be 7,200.00

And I still have 140units left to use. That's over four (4) months now
Do you now see why these people will never allow dream of every homes having a prepaid meter become a reality?
Because such development will block all holes where the electricity distribution corrupt members of staff perpetrate their fraudulent activities and corruption from.

They know that they will be forced to give light more in order to generate revenue and will not be able to charge people outrageously as they are currently doing and remitting the proceeds of their criminal act to their pockets.

Stand up and Fight for what is your right. Prepaid meter is your right, fight for it to the latter. If you believe that your monthly electricity bill do not represent your consumption, make a case.If you're in Lagos, Ikeja Electricity company and Eko electricity company are there for you. If they fail, involve NERC.
That will be all, for now.

Due to popular demand, these are the email addresses you can forward your complaints to -
Ikeja Electricity Distribution - customercare@ikejaelectric.com
Eko Electricity Distribution - customercare@ekedp.com
Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission - complaints@nerc.gov.ng
good one
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by Etenco: 10:33am On Mar 22, 2018
I use prepaid meter. For this year the rate has been about 31.81/unit. That's for residential. so 1000 naira should give you about 31 units. Also confirm your area cos the charge varies for places. Be sure as well that you were not given the one for commercial use. Just bought some units this week and it's still 31.81/unit. My area is PHC
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by toolovely(m): 10:34am On Mar 22, 2018
You getting 70 units for 1k? Then that means the tarrif are not uniformed across the different Discos.
The PHED sells 31.6 units for 1k.... OK ooo
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by honey001(m): 10:34am On Mar 22, 2018
yesloaded:
But for more about 3years now, I've been getting 38inits on 1,000naira recharge. I wonder how you managed to get 71units all this while.

IBDC must be criminal for giving me 38unit on 1k recharge

Same thing here, I have been getting 39.2units on 1k recharge and yet am in same location with the OP, how he has been getting 71units baffles me.... Abi they have been shortchanging us since?
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by chloedogie(m): 10:36am On Mar 22, 2018
osuofia2:

But fridge and freezer doesn't consume much

Boss the moment the voltage drop and they are all mounted on the stabilizer then you are gunner. But if they are both sitting alone, it wouldn't consume much. But what is 17 units in a flat?
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by chloride6: 10:37am On Mar 22, 2018
OP your previous rates have been too low sad
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by XKZ(m): 10:39am On Mar 22, 2018
pittoilet:
For your mind you blurred your name abi?

Abeg, leave Solomon alone

1 Like

Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by Ethanegos(m): 10:40am On Mar 22, 2018
johnime:
A thread on why PREPAID METER being distributed TO ALL may never be achieved in Nigeria.
After the Nigerian Police, Nigerian Electricity distribution companies are next on the list when it comes to corruption. This has been in existence from time immemorial, just like barracks, many government have come and gone but the deep rooted corruption in the system remains

In April 2016, I moved in to my current apartment. The apartment was still connected to an old meter and there was an outstanding payment of about N385,000.00 to be paid. This wasn't revealed to me before I made payment for the rent, as usual (that's how they all do).This became a worry and an absolute headache. I asked the landlord why it was so and she made me understand that the apartment was not in use for 5years.I asked how come it wasn't reported to NEPA so they'd stop the billing, she gave me a copy of the letter she wrote to them. So I took the matter up, wrote several mails to Eko electricity company and the matter was on for 11months, note that in the space of this 11 months, I never got a monthly bill lesser than 24,000.00. You want to ask if I have a factory in my apartment? No I don't. So it extended from wanting the company to zerorize the ridiculous outstanding balance in the billing account to fighting and contesting the outrageous billing system which do not in any way represent my true electricity consumption and wanting a Prepaid Meter

The battle began.
After several exchange of mails betweens myself and Eko Electric and no solution was forthcoming, I moved the matter to NERC, the regulatory body for all electricity distribution companies in Nigeria. I filed a petition against Ekedp and the undertaking in charge of my area.

Lo and behold, after three days from the petition submission to NERC, I got a call from the marketing manager for my area pleading for me to make myself available to allow them come to my house and take inventory of the electrical appliances I use.

NERC is working yeah? Right. A staff of the Ekedp came to take the inventory and at the end of the computations, we calculated and multiplied each appliance by the estimated units they consume per day and multiplied by 31days.

Recall I said I never got a bill less than 24k in a month?Then we arrived at a figure that even the Eko electric staff who came to take the inventory opened his mouth and couldn't close it. What I should be billed based on having 24hour light per day(which is not even possible) in 31 days was 4,800.00. I almost ran mad. I took a copy of the report, scanned it and attached it to my next petition to NERC.
At this point, the marketing manager attached to my undertaking had started calling and begging me to stop the petitions. That they could all get sacked if matters gets escalated further.Then in September 2017, after all the troubles and how I never got tired if pursuing the issue, I got a mail from Eko electricity to come with some required documents in order to fill a form for a PREPAID METER.

I was at my gate then this Alfa looking guy was parading and trying to see house number on the fence. My instinct told me to ask if he was asking for Ayo, then he said yes. He was the prepaid meter installer, he was with my new prepaid meter. I also recall that before the whole issue started, I was discouraged severally that I can never be given prepaid meter due to the outstanding balance on the billing account, I paid no mind to all the people that said that and went ahead with my case.
I got the Prepaid meter for FREE. After a week, bill was brought and boom, outstanding balance has been cleared from 385,000.00 to zero balance.
How did I achieve this? I mean I didn't pay a dime to anyone and I never for once bribed my way in all my dealings.I achieved this simply because;

1. I knew my right.
5. I was informed.

Now imagine how many people are out there who don't even know how to go about such tedious and draining process. I learnt that a lot of people even paid as much as 40k to get the prepaid meter. Something that's supposed to be free. Since the prepaid meter was installed in November 27 2017, I have not exhausted the 303 units that came with it which is calculated to be 7,200.00

Do you now see why these people will never allow dream of every homes having a prepaid meter become a reality?
Because such development will block all holes where the electricity distribution corrupt members of staff perpetrate their fraudulent activities and corruption from.

They know that they will be forced to give light more in order to generate revenue and will not be able to charge people outrageously as they are currently doing and remitting the proceeds of their criminal act to their pockets.

Stand up and Fight for what is your right. Prepaid meter is your right, fight for it to the latter. If you believe that your monthly electricity bill do not represent your consumption, make a case.If you're in Lagos, Ikeja Electricity company and Eko electricity company are there for you. If they fail, involve NERC.

Due to popular demand, these are the email addresses you can forward your complaints to -

Thanks Man! you just made my day. I'm in a similar situation and my own bill is currently 45k per month. Need to contact NERC ASAP

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by Nobody: 10:42am On Mar 22, 2018
johnime:

The battle began.

1. I knew my right.
5. I was informed.

Do you have freezer and A.C

1 Like

Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by yesloaded: 10:53am On Mar 22, 2018
honey001:

Same thing here, I have been getting 39.2units on 1k recharge and yet am in same location with the OP, how he has been getting 71units baffles me.... Abi they have been shortchanging us since?
I taya o
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by yesloaded: 10:54am On Mar 22, 2018
osuofia2:

Abi nah
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by Freeze007(m): 10:54am On Mar 22, 2018
Nutase:
That's the change you were promised.
Better accept it and stop complaining or they will double the change for you.

Sai Baba, sai APC

KSolomonOkunna
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by Nobody: 10:56am On Mar 22, 2018
I stay in Abuja, I get 78unit 2000, you need to check your previous bill.
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by XKZ(m): 10:57am On Mar 22, 2018
chloedogie:

Another question I want to ask just like we pay between 143 and 145 naira per litre of fuel, how much are we being charges per kilowatt for residential buildings? What is the standard ministry of power approi rates I'm conjunction with the DISCOS

1 Share

Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by pedrilo: 10:58am On Mar 22, 2018
johnime:

The battle began.

1. I knew my right.
5. I was informed.

thank you very much my guy, u r my type of person, they think they can play on our intelligence in this country. This same tin happened between me and first bank with Consumer Protection Council coming in two settle the matter to my favour. some federal agencies surprisingly are still very upright.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by njelrapheal: 11:01am On Mar 22, 2018
Jethrolite:
Isn't it time we stopped this pleading nonsense with distribution companies and sue them. Can we all come under a body, pool resources together and sue? We should realise this people can be sued.
I support you. How do we go about it
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by osuofia2(m): 11:03am On Mar 22, 2018
chloedogie:

Boss the moment the voltage drop and they are all mounted on the stabilizer then you are gunner. But if they are both sitting alone, it wouldn't consume much. But what is 17 units in a flat?
OK I SEE
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by JayOneSola(m): 11:04am On Mar 22, 2018
wetin person no go see for this country self.........
Re: 300% Hike In Aedc Tariffs Prepaid Meter. Pics by Princessgrace(f): 11:08am On Mar 22, 2018
chloedogie:
Hello guys, just as a way of being conservative, I do buy 1000 naira worth of units for my phcn prepaid meter which gives me 71 units. Going to the office I saw the unit read 4.7 units left. I logged into my buypower account and did my normal1000 naira of 71 units only to see just 17 units. Got angry and felt maybe buypower are the dishonest ones here I just logged into vtpass and low and behold, I was given 19.6 units for 1100 naira. Please when did the distribution companies and ministry of power hiked the tariffs by almost 300% Is this peculiar to me? Of it is a general issue then we all need to speak up. We are customers and stakeholders how could they take such a decision without our consent and with that dangerous percentage increase? Please the MODS should let us all see this. See pictures below. Another question I want to ask just like we pay between 143 and 145 naira per litre of fuel, how much are we being charges per kilowatt for residential buildings? What is the standard ministry of power approi rates I'm conjunction with the DISCOS

I just purchase 39 units yesterday for 1000 Naira here in abuja.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fela Durotoye Begs Nigerians To Donate Money For Presidential Nomination Form / Akeredolu Commissions 20 Patrol Vehicles To Boost Amotekun Operations (photos) / Lagos State Government Reverts Public Holiday To Two Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.