Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,267 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. - Crime (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. (43938 Views)

Thief's Face Transforms Into Chinese Man's After Beating (photo) / 8 Repentant Terrorists Die After Mistaken Explosive Device For Scrap Metals / Young Man Shot Dead By Cultists After ‘Mistaken Him For Someone Else’. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by maasoap(m): 6:57pm On Mar 22, 2018
Sagamite:

Of course!

If you want to make a point, put all the FACTS on the table.

Don't omit and shape the information to set a false narrative.

If you know your point is valid, you would not need to omit and shape.

Any idiot reading his information would assume that police just entered his backyard for no reason and shot him.

I am not saying the police are right, justified or have not committed any crime in shooting him, just bloody don't change the narrative. Just put the whole fact and let people make informed judgements.
Like all the ones in the past with complete unadulterated information were justified.
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by Sapiosexuality(m): 6:58pm On Mar 22, 2018
GodIsBiafran:

What do you mean by the emboldened. Can you please explain. Thanks.
I'm simply saying: if a black President couldn't stop the killings of black people by the white police why should a white supremacist President do so? If black fathers were killed by white policemen when a black man was President, how does it become mild when a racist pro-white man is President? Using your username to drive the point. If GEJ loved by Biafrans didn't do enough in terms of infrastructure for the region, will it be logical to expect a Buhari, hated by the region and vice versa, to do better?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by freecocoa(f): 6:58pm On Mar 22, 2018
Sagamite:

Of course!

If you want to make a point, put all the FACTS on the table.

Don't omit and shape the information to set a false narrative.

If you know your point is valid, you would not need to omit and shape.

Any idiot reading his information would assume that police just entered his backyard for no reason and shot him.

I am not saying the police are right, justified or have not committed any crime in shooting him, just bloody don't change the narrative. Just put the whole fact and let people make informed judgements.
I agree with you, though didn't know the narrative had been changed. So.... He was being chased? Care to tell more?
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by Sagamite(m): 6:59pm On Mar 22, 2018
maasoap:

Like all the ones in the past with complete unadulterated were justified.

Biitch, are you reetarded?
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by Sagamite(m): 7:09pm On Mar 22, 2018
freecocoa:
I agree with you, though didn't know the narrative had been changed. So.... He was being chased? Care to tell more?

Exactly!

Very misleading.

Someone called 911 that a person is breaking into cars in the neighbourhood.

Police were dispatched and after finding this guy, he started running. Jumping over fences from compound to compound until he reached his own backyard. There was a heat-sensing helicopter tracking him throughout the process and guiding the police on the ground to him.

When he reached his backyard, which most likely/obviously the policemen did not know was his home, they came from an angle of the backyard and one of the police officers screamed "gun" i.e. claiming he saw him holding a gun (note, it was at night in the dark, with the officers using touchlights), and the guy was immediately shot 20 times by both officers who had enough cover behind a wall for them not to be shot. No chance to give himself up and most of the shots were while he was on the floor (after being hit by a bullet or trying to give himself up).

After shooting him, they did not go to his body to assist him, and said on their radio that they would not approach him until they had back-up. This is after popping 20 bullets at him and he is lying motionless. They then turned their recording microphone to mute.

Later when no gun was found, they changed their story to "they thought he was holding a crowbar" (but he was about 5 metres away from them). All he had on him was his mobile phone.

Full information; freedom to make up your mind unbiasly.

1 Like

Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by GodIsBiafran: 7:10pm On Mar 22, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
I'm simply saying: if a black President couldn't stop the killings of black people by the white police why should a white supremacist President do so? If black fathers were killed by white policemen when a black man was President, how does it become mild when a racist pro-white man is President? Using your username to drive the point. If GEJ loved by Biafrans didn't do enough in terms of infrastructure for the region, will it be logical to expect a Buhari, hated by the region and vice versa, to do better?

Thank you - for the explanation. So, what do you think blacks in America need to do to address this issue effectively in this era of Trump?
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:24pm On Mar 22, 2018
GodIsBiafran:

Thank you - for the explanation. So, what do you think blacks in America need to do to address this issue effectively in this era of Trump?
To be frank, besides standing together, there is nothing they can do to change the system. Like Marcus Garvey said, the system was designed by white people for white people. There is nothing they can do to stop it. Even black Obama was powerless.

The black on black crimes in Compton CA, Chicago, etc., are deliberately allowed to continue. The only thing you can fully control is how you relate to people and not how they relate to you. If we developed Africa like Garvey suggested, resettlement would have happened and the motivations behind racism defeated.
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by heendrix(m): 7:26pm On Mar 22, 2018
shocked

see how foreign news they always pull traffic for Lalasticlala n mynd44 I dont think you find this kinda traffic if the news was "Nigerian police shoot a Guy dead in Delta"
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by SantaDomino(m): 7:27pm On Mar 22, 2018
Didn't you read where they said it happened in his own resident?

superior1:
Putting your hand into your pocket for your phone after being stopped by a police is a recipe for untimely death.

Folks should learn to obey the police first and complain later.
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by Decryptor(m): 7:27pm On Mar 22, 2018
DrRasheed:
And some dimwits are packing their hard end monies to depart there....

Nigeria forever...

Even if the American police kills 100 people everyday, the country is 1000000times better than this shytehole called Nigeria
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by IamBlanco(m): 7:38pm On Mar 22, 2018
. An analysis by The Washington Post found that 987 people were killed by police last year — 68 of them unarmed. Of those unarmed victims, 30 were white , 20 were black and 13 were Hispanic, showing an overrepresentation of African Americans among the total U . S. population . Five of the remaining fatalities were of unknown or other race .
At least 230 people have been killed by police this year , according to The Post ’s database on fatal force.

for those of y'all crying racism...

simply say police shot an American, must u say black man?
even the Washington Post headlined "Police shot a man...". bury your heads in shame. most of the black Americans in U.S.A. aren't educated sef, most drop out of high school. I'm not saying what the cops did was right. buh stop this sick racism shit & black lives matter shit. ALL LIVES MATTER. if I get American visa today, I'll leave every pin behind & go to U.S.A. #ShitHOLE

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/03/21/police-shot-a-man-20-times-in-his-back-yard-thinking-he-had-a-gun-it-was-a-cellphone/?utm_term=.1ec3fd5886de
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by QuietMynd: 7:43pm On Mar 22, 2018
sinaj:
So this blood sucking demon lives in every policeman

You will now see some stupid Nigerians applauding American police over Nigerian police.
This type of indescriminate killing occurs regularly in the usa but such case is rare in nigeria.
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by IamBlanco(m): 7:46pm On Mar 22, 2018
QuietMynd:

You will now see some stupid Nigerians applauding American police over Nigerian police.
This type of indescriminate killing occurs regularly in the usa but such case is rare in nigeria.

as if you'll reject the opportunity to be a cop in U.S.A. for this Shithole u call Nigeria.
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by QuietMynd: 7:50pm On Mar 22, 2018
ameri9ja:
His family is guaranteed to get millions.

In Nigeria the family will have to pay a bribe to get his corpse, that is if they are not arrested.

THAT IS THE BIG DIFFERENCE.
U re very stupid for this comment.
Nigerians and over-exaggeration
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by PoliticalChinex(m): 7:57pm On Mar 22, 2018
Mobsync:
Most of us will appreciate the Nigerian Police if we know how much American police officers kill unharmed civilians over there.

Despite what people say, they do not discriminate between blacks and whites. They shoot like it's no one business. It's just that the death of blacks tend to make the news.

And they don't even attempt to lie and call it accidental discharge like ours do over here.

Rather, they accuse the victim of one hilarious [and often false] wrongdoing that doesn't justify their excessive use of force just like in this instance.

Even if this guy had a gun, there is no reason why he should have been shot 20 times.

Rest In Peace Nigga.

Your submission is very false. I live in America and I have never seen or heard of police killing anyone in places I always hang out. American police move around to help even people that need any kind of help. If u are stranded anywhere, u can approach a police man to help u with transport fares.
America has a landmass bigger than the whole of West and East Africa and a population of over 300 million people. So compare one isolated case of shooting by police in America with hundreds of people that are butchered daily in different conflicts in the whole of West and East Africa!
And mind u, this error committed by this police officers will be investigated and heads will roll and so much money will be paid to the family in compensation.
Compare that with Nigeria where police will kill u and put gun on u to brand u as armed robber. Your family will cough out so much money just to claim your corpses!
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by Truthcat: 8:05pm On Mar 22, 2018
Ose! Especially now that police are killed for anything as little as responding to domestic calls. The first thing when pulled over by the police is to listen and obey, hands must be where they can be seen and reaching into pocket or anywhere will get people killed. It's unfortunate for the young man, the force will put the officers involved on administrative leave with their pay intact while they investigate. But the most painful part of this is, it's going to be settled for far less than $5m because he's black, but 9 figures will be the settlement if he's white. I blame blacks for this, only noise and brawl, never a real plan to move their people forward.
superior1:
Putting your hand into your pocket for your phone after being stopped by a police is a recipe for untimely death.

1 Like

Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by Nobody: 8:06pm On Mar 22, 2018
when i read stories like these, i can say our police is one of the best in the world, at least they ve not lost their sanity
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by GodIsBiafran: 8:25pm On Mar 22, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
To be frank, besides standing together, there is nothing they can do to change the system. Like Marcus Garvey said, the system was designed by white people for white people. There is nothing they can do to stop it. Even black Obama was powerless.
The black on black crimes in Compton CA, Chicago, etc., are deliberately allowed to continue. The only thing you can fully control is how you relate to people and not how they relate to you. If we developed Africa like Garvey suggested, resettlement would have happened and the motivations behind racism defeated.
This point of view is probably the right one (based on reality). However, you will agree with me that it is quite depressing. I personally think Obama could have done more but he was worried about what certain (conservative/red-state) white people would think. I think, we Africans must develop our societies so that African Americans can at least have a place to call their own - even if its just psychological.

1 Like

Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:42pm On Mar 22, 2018
GodIsBiafran:

This point of view is probably the right one (based on reality). However, you will agree with me that it is quite depressing. I personally think Obama could have done more but he was worried about what certain (conservative/red-state) white people would think. I think, we Africans must develop our societies so that African Americans can at least have a place to call their own - even if its just psychological.
Exactly. We have wronged them twice. First, we allowed them to be sold off and stolen. Two, we can't apologize by correcting our errors and making home sweet for them. Obama was just a tool though. In America, the POTUS is not usually the POTUS.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by shekauvsbuhari: 8:52pm On Mar 22, 2018
superior1:

olodo. Learn to read. He was in his backyard n was holding de phone in his hand, not in his pocket.
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by johnaruson(m): 8:53pm On Mar 22, 2018
Another Dialo
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by hisMrs(f): 9:56pm On Mar 22, 2018
20 times?! Ok o
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by obstead200(m): 10:22pm On Mar 22, 2018
Ironlion1:

Read the thread bross. It said black america and not Africa.
and black Americans came from where originally?
Use ur brain please
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by maasoap(m): 10:24pm On Mar 22, 2018
Sagamite:

Biitch , are you reetarded ?
The first one was for your mother while the second one was for your dad.
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by obstead200(m): 10:29pm On Mar 22, 2018
Follygunners:
I'm not so sure of what happened and, of course, it's very sad. Nevertheless.... I'm NOT trying to be judgmental but, I got this to say...

The thing is very sad indeed BUT I kinda get sick and tired of the way these Akata folks behave for the most part. They're very disrespectful, belligerent, unnecessarily arrogant coupled with a negative behavior/demeanor.

They tend to pass across a negative message and perception. They get unnecessarily defensive and always trying to prove something just to score some stupid points. undecided They never listen to simple instructions.. animals @ best hence, they're regarded as "Akata".

They fail to realize these sometimes trigger-happy cops (sometime over-zealous) have had enough of their colleagues being killed for honorably and innocently performing their daily responsibilities. Other than the Diallo dude killed by a NY cop (listen to the Wyclef song "Diallo"...for those that cares to know) how many other blacks (immigrants) that have fallen prey to this form of violence? Very few!

Just an FYI... These Akata folks are the laziest bunch of humans on the planet! angry. They're a disgrace to the black race and of course... we blacks aren't good for anything anyways.. grin grin

R.I.P to the dead! embarassed embarassed
I agree with u in a way. There must have been a history of prior use of violence by the deceased. That wud have made the cops cautious and extra jittery in the trigger.
Unfortunately the biased reporter would never mention the circumstances that led to the shooting because such info will not serve his intended objective of breeding hate.
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by obstead200(m): 10:32pm On Mar 22, 2018
hisMrs:
20 times?! Ok o
again, 20 shots could mean that 10cops were aiming at him and shot 2 times each.
Now u only deploy that number of cops to apprehend someone with a known history of violence

1 Like

Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by revontuli(f): 10:34pm On Mar 22, 2018
Trigger-happy lunatic cops is a major problem in America, you don't see that kind of behavior anywhere else in the developed world.
We know they shoot unarmed black men left and right.

Let's take a look at some of the other people they shot within the recent few years:

An autistic white kid https://www.cbsnews.com/video/graphic-video-released-of-police-shooting-of-autistic-boy/
A mentally ill and pregnant black mother https://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-autopsy-shows-seattle-woman-shot-by-police-hit-7-times-was-pregnant/
An autistic black teenager https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/stephon-watts-police-shooting-autism-death/Content?oid=20512018
An innocent, harmless pet dog: https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Off-Duty-Mansfield-Police-Officer-Shoots-and-Kills-A-Family-Dog-454190323.html
An autistic white woman https://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/05/us/aspergers-woman-killed/index.html
An elderly, disabled white man http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2568848/SC-officer-shoots-man-reaching-cane.html
A 6 year old white boy (stray bullets) https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/12/kameron-prescott-anger-police-bullet-kills-child-171224091628070.html
A 7 year old black girl https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/aiyana-jones-7-killed-by-detroit-cop/

These are just a few cases I found by googling things like "police shoots child", "police shoots elderly", "police shoot disabled", you can find hundreds of them.
Police shootings issue is a serious cancer in America, there is absolutely no defending this excessive use of deadly force on unarmed, and sometimes disabled and helpless citizens, or firing so many bullets that little kids get shot by the strays.

1 Like

Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by Burgerlomo: 10:35pm On Mar 22, 2018
noblealuu:
Don't they have rule of engaging and disarming a guy wielding fellow even if he had a real gun on him.

This shit happened probably because he's a black. undecided

Why didn't the cops shoot the hand with which he was holding the mistaken "gun"?

I wonder ooo cool

Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by Follygunners: 10:35pm On Mar 22, 2018
obstead200:
I agree with u in a way. There must have been a history of prior use of violence by the deceased. That wud have made the cops cautious and extra jittery in the trigger.
Unfortunately the biased reporter would never mention the circumstances that led to the shooting because such info will not serve his intended objective of breeding hate.

It's a subjectively controlled media full of bias! They ONLY show you what they want to show and what they want you to believe. undecided
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by Iamthoney(m): 11:21pm On Mar 22, 2018
The same thing The game rapped about in his song titled "Let me know"... All black lives matters
Re: California Police Kill A Black Man After Mistaken His Cellphone For A Gun. by Innov8ve1: 12:26am On Mar 23, 2018
The cops in america are having serious mental health issues, how will you shoot an unarmed man 20 times? Is he a beast? They recently shot an unarmed man on a wheel chair too after screaming "hands up" several times but the man was struggling to raise his arm up and was shot in cold blood. These guys are mad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Police Begins Manhunt For Killers Of Uniport Students / Man Loses joystick During Fight In Lagos / 12 ASPs In Police Convoy Kidnapped, Families Selling Properties To Pay Ransom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.