Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,484 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ (4856 Views)

Dangote Listed Among World’s 50 Most Influential Persons / Enugu Makes History, Joins World’s 100 Resilient Cities / Time Lists Jonathan, Obama, Messi Among World’s 100 Most Influential (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by mekusxxx: 3:05am On May 04, 2010
Time names Nigerian among world’s ‘100 most influential’
By Success Nwogu, Published: Tuesday, 4 May 2010

Time magazine has named a 28-year-old Nigerian, Nnaemeka Ikegwuonu, as one of the ‘100 most influential people in the world.’

The influential magazine had in its May 2010 edition said those on the list were shaping the world with their ideas, innovations and actions.

It added that the list was consolidated into four categories – leaders, artists, thinkers and heroes.

Others on the list include United States President Barack Obama; Graca Machel, wife of former South African President Nelson Mandela; Brazilian President Luiz da Silva; Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama; and Managing Director, International Monetary Fund, Mr. Dominique Strauss-Kahn.

Also on the list are Chelsea striker, Didier Drogba; the Speaker of the US House of Representatives, Ms. Nancy Pelosi; US Minority Whip, Mr. Jon Kyl; Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad; French Minister of Finance, Ms. Christine Lagarde; Turkish Prime Minister Recep Erdogan; Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh; talkshow host and publisher, Ms. Oprah Winfrey; and British musician, Elton John.

Ikegwuonu, who was listed in the artists’ category, was born in 1982 and lives in Imo State.

According to Time, he has, since his high school, been developing ways to help Nigerian farmers.

He was identified because of his reported dedication to improving the lives of rural people and his commitment to environmental protection and sustainable agriculture.

Time said, “In Nigerian state of Imo, where Ikegwuonu lives, farmers are suffering because of their isolation. Via the Smallholders Foundation, which he set up in 2003, he has been broadcasting by radio 10 hours a day to give 250,000 farmers news in their own language about farming and marketing techniques.

“He has now begun using interactive technology in order to serve farmers across his state.”
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by AloyEmeka5: 3:06am On May 04, 2010
Enoch Adeboye is in top 50.
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by mekusxxx: 3:08am On May 04, 2010
Whenever mediocrity, nepotism, tribalism and incompetence are set aside, the Igbo are sure to worst ( I know many of you may not know the meaning of worst as used here) the rest of the people in Nigeria.
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by mekusxxx: 3:09am On May 04, 2010
Adeboye is a bleeping religious thief. He must have bribed his way through. Adeboye hobnobs with all known thieves in Nigeria.
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by AloyEmeka5: 3:20am On May 04, 2010

Growing up in Nigeria, traditionally a farming nation, Nnaemeka Ikegwuonu spent his after-school hours raising poultry and cattle. After high school, as he participated in youth and citizens’ associations helping farmers, Ikegwuonu quickly became aware that the rural community had little access to information about farming practices and environmental issues. In 2003, he founded the Smallholders Foundation to provide the rural community with information – via the radio – on contemporary agricultural techniques and environmental conservation. Ikegwuonu, who has a bachelor of arts in history and international studies and a master’s degree in cooperation and development, is becoming known as a change-maker who fights poverty using new interactive technology.

http://young.rolexawards.com/laureates/nnaemeka_ikegwuonu
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by sulad82i(m): 3:32am On May 04, 2010
250,000 farmers. That incredible. I give it to him too
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by EzeUche(m): 3:33am On May 04, 2010
Wonderful story!!! It just brings tears to my eyes. Nigeria may keep our people down, but this man light is shining brightly for the whole world to see our prowess. And I hope his message spreads to other Eastern states and perhaps throughout all of Nigeria. We need men in office just like him. God bless him and his family.

Another great that deserves his place among other Igbo greats such as Chinua Achebe!!!  cheesy
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by AloyEmeka5: 3:41am On May 04, 2010
EzeUche:

Wonderful story!!! It just brings tears to my eyes. Nigeria may keep our people down, but this man light is shining brightly for the whole world to see our prowess. And I hope his message spreads to other Eastern states and perhaps throughout all of Nigeria. We need men in office just like him. God bless him and his family.

Another great that deserves his place among other Igbo greats such as Chinua Achebe!!!  cheesy

Why didn't you comment on his flat igbo head? tongue tongue
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by naijamini(m): 3:44am On May 04, 2010
So tell me what exactly about being Igbo that makes that a mark of greatness. Think about it and come back with an answer that makes sense, perhaps I will be convinced yet that tribe is an appropriate measure of greatness - tic-toc-tic-toc!

mekusxxx:

Whenever mediocrity, nepotism, tribalism and incompetence are set aside, the Igbo are sure to worst ( I know many of you may not know the meaning of worst as used here) the rest of the people in Nigeria.
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by EzeUche(m): 3:47am On May 04, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Why didn't you comment on his flat igbo head? tongue tongue

^^^^^

Ikwikwi ka ibu. angry
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by REALTRUTH1: 4:10am On May 04, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Enoch Adeboye is in top 50.
 Alloy you should know better,,,that was last year,,,this year 2010,,,there is just one Nigerian amongs the first 100 influential people in the world.
Adeboye may be anywhere after the first 100 if the pool continues,,,,am just wondering why he was so demoted or delisted from the list,,,,
Hope his members would come and give an explanation!!
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by REALTRUTH1: 4:13am On May 04, 2010
becomrich7:

this story looks like a lie., I just check google i cant find the story.
Am surprise that a whole electricty engineer like you can not access information from the net,,,any you use your google map to click on this link:

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201005044134629

Goodluck to you,,
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by AloyEmeka5: 5:55am On May 04, 2010
EzeUche:

^^^^^

Ikwikwi ka ibu.  angry
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by Kobojunkie: 6:03am On May 04, 2010
@Poster, I am not certain what the source of the information published in the news paper is but there is no mention of the boy's name on the time Magazine site or the Times list of 100 Most influential The Punch claims to refer to.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1984685,00.html
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by elelem(m): 6:19am On May 04, 2010
I wonder what Elton John and Garca Marchel's names are doing there?
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by bgees(m): 7:46am On May 04, 2010
So?

will that change the price of garri in Nnewi?
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by Odunnu: 7:55am On May 04, 2010
EzeUche:

^^^^^

Ikwikwi ka ibu. angry
hahahahaha,u got me kraking wt dat!
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by hectorswag(m): 12:25pm On May 04, 2010
EzeUche:

^^^^^

Ikwikwi ka ibu. angry
lol, what a slammin reply!! grin grin wonder what it means?
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by dustydee: 1:57pm On May 04, 2010
Not time magazine o but rolex award for enterpirse not most influential.Please cross check your facts.Bigup to him though.

http://young.rolexawards.com/?cmpid=dw20100556
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by Nobody: 2:00pm On May 04, 2010
mekusxxx:

Your level of arrogance is amazing! undecided
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by ifyegede(m): 2:29pm On May 04, 2010
At last, something good can still coome out of Naija. We are not just a nation of suicide bombers, religious bigots, fraudulent politicians and thieves. Mopre Naijas like him!
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by Katsumoto: 3:45pm On May 04, 2010
Mekusxxx,

In your haste to start a thread that fits in with your bigoted propaganda, you failed to properly verify the link you were providing. The writer of the article is guilty of not only lazy journalism but also of fraud and forgery. The writer in her bid to write about the noble achievements of this young man, changed the name of the awarding body. You are just as guilty as the writer of ethnic jingoism.

To think that you were feeling superior by assuming that average NL readers would not be able to comprehend the grammar used in one of your posts. Your intellectual dishonesty, coupled with your unrivalled and tasteless bigotry on these forums only points to the fact that you do not possess the educational accomplishments that you so brazenly state on the forums or that you simply committed intellectual fraud (cheating, plagiarism, etc).

The more you carry on with your unrepentant and ludicrous ethnic hate campaign, the more you expose yourself for what you really are; a lazy, bitter, and perhaps unsuccessful character.
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by keeeem: 3:53pm On May 04, 2010
Yea this is great for our dear nation. I am now fully convinced that Nigeria can be in the list of 10 most-developed nations of the world. It is just for us to say we want to do it because we have all the manpower to achieve it. I Know we can and yes we shall

Proudly Nigerian
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by tkb417(m): 4:03pm On May 04, 2010
Ujujoan:

Your level of arrogance is amazing! undecided
i dont think hes arrogant, i think he has the brain of a millipede

dustydee:

Not time magazine o but rolex award for enterpirse not most influential.Please cross check your facts.Bigup to him though.

http://young.rolexawards.com/?cmpid=dw20100556
it was a deliberate attempt at distorting facts for stupid reasons
its a shame i post on the same blog with such a ninny
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by Nobody: 4:12pm On May 04, 2010
EzeUche:

^^^^^

Ikwikwi ka ibu. angry
Hahahahahahaha

I wan laugh die.
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by REALTRUTH1: 4:18pm On May 04, 2010
Katsumoto:

Mekusxxx,
In your haste to start a thread that fits in with your bigoted propaganda, you failed to properly verify the link you were providing. The writer of the article is guilty of not only lazy journalism but also of fraud and forgery. The writer in her bid to write about the noble achievements of this young man, changed the name of the awarding body. You are just as guilty as the writer of ethnic jingoism.
To think that you were feeling superior by assuming that average NL readers would not be able to comprehend the grammar used in one of your posts. Your intellectual dishonesty, coupled with your unrivalled and tasteless bigotry on these forums only points to the fact that you do not possess the educational accomplishments that you so brazenly state on the forums or that you simply committed intellectual fraud (cheating, plagiarism, etc).
The more you carry on with your unrepentant and ludicrous ethnic hate campaign, the more you expose yourself for what you really are; a lazy, bitter, and perhaps unsuccessful character.
 Though am not a fan of mekussxxx,,,,however I want to inform you that you guilty of what you accussed mekussxx of,,,Times Magazine May edition actually listed the Ikegwuonu as one of the 100 most influential person.,,,The rolex award is for young enterprsising people in the world and he was listed amongst the 10 young enterprising people in the world,,,
These re completely two different organisations,,,
See the front page of may edition of times here :

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-440273.0.html
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by tkb417(m): 4:46pm On May 04, 2010
REAL TRUTH:

Though am not a fan of mekussxxx,,,,however I want to inform you that you guilty of what you accussed mekussxx of,,,Times Magazine May edition actually listed the Ikegwuonu as one of the 100 most influential person.,,,The rolex award is for young enterprsising people in the world and he was listed amongst the 10 young enterprising people in the world,,,
These re completely two different organisations,,,
See the front page of may edition of times here :

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-440273.0.html
i did not see anythn ikegwuonu on that link
i saw a times front page with Lady Gaga as the topic of convo
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by lelele: 4:49pm On May 04, 2010
Pls get yr facts right, d rolex laureate award is simply to encouarge people all around the world, nt 2 give dem global aclaim. Wats wrng wit my people? He isn't a nobel prize winner!
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by lelele: 5:03pm On May 04, 2010
@ Real truth

listen 2 d real truth, he is a rolex laureate alumnae at d moment. If u insist dat he is on d list my question 2 u is in wat category was he listed (categories include: sports,thinkers, leaders, ? Its like publishin 2 lists at the same time (one 4 achievement d otha 4 encouragement), and u r simply muddlin things up. U dnt even nid 2 think on dis one!
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by lelele: 5:11pm On May 04, 2010
This is d full list of the top 100 people, mekusssxxx is alwys spewin half-truths and lies!

Leaders
Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva
J.T. Wang
Admiral Mike Mullen
Barack Obama
Ron Bloom
Yukio Hatoyama
Dominique Strauss-Kahn
Nancy Pelosi
Sarah Palin
Salam Fayyad
Jon Kyl
Glenn Beck
Annise Parker
Tidjane Thiam
Jenny Beth Martin
Christine Lagarde
Recep Tayyip Erdogan
General Stanley McChrystal
Manmohan Singh
Bo Xilai
Mark Carney
Sister Carol Keehan
Sheik Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nahyan
Robin Li
Scott Brown
Heroes
Bill Clinton
Kim Yu-Na
Mir-Hossein Mousavi
Ben Stiller
Temple Grandin
P. Namperumalsamy
Nay Phone Latt
Chen Shu-chu
Phil Mickelson
Didier Drogba
Graça Machel
Reem Al Numery
Sachin Tendulkar
Tristan Lecomte
Liya Kebede
Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw
Zahra Rahnavard
Jet Li
Serena Williams
Chief Master Sergeant Tony Travis
Karls Paul-Noel
Rahul Singh
Valentin Abe
Malalai Joya
Will Allen
Artists
Lady Gaga
Conan O'Brien
Kathryn Bigelow
Oprah Winfrey
Valery Gergiev
Robert Pattinson
Ashton Kutcher
Suzanne Collins
Taylor Swift
Neil Patrick Harris
Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof
Prince
Lea Michele
Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik
Simon Cowell
Neill Blomkamp
Elton John
Marc Jacobs
David Chang
Banksy
Chetan Bhagat
Sandra Bullock
Ricky Gervais
Han Han
James Cameron
Thinkers
Zaha Hadid
Elizabeth Warren
Douglas Schwartzentruber and Larry Kwak
Michael Pollan
Atul Gawande
Jaron Lanier
Victor Pinchuk
Lee Kuan Yew
Deborah Gist
Kathleen Merrigan
Steve Jobs
Tim White
Lisa Jackson
Elon Musk
Edna Foa
Jaime Lerner
Paul Volcker
Amy Smith
Matt Berg
Amartya Sen
Michael Sherraden
Sanjit 'Bunker' Roy
Tim Westergren
David Boies and Theodore Olson
Sonia Sotomayor
Social Networking
The Influence Index
TIME 100 Alumnae
Aishwarya Rai-Bachchan
Condoleezza Rice
Barbara Walters
Wendy Kopp
Sherri Shepherd
Martha Stewart
Amy Smith
Suze Orman
Anna Netrebko
Alice Munro
Joy Behar
Nora Roberts
Suzanne Collins
Edna Foa
Lauren Zalaznick
Elizabeth Warren
Meg Whitman
Elisabeth Hasselbeck
Stella McCartney
Sister Mary Scullion
Ann Coulter
Katie Couric
Nancy Pelosi
Whoopi Goldberg
Kiki Smith
Serena Williams
Alicia Keys
Elizabeth Gilbert
Deborah Gist
Arianna Huffington
Sarah Palin

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1984685,00.html#ixzz0ldUnXlf8
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by dayokanu(m): 5:51pm On May 04, 2010
^^ I cant see any Nigerian either Adeboye or Ikegwuonu Maybe you can bolden their names or did they use their Aliases?

I am suspecting Adeboye is using Sheik Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nahyan and Ikegwuonu is using Lady Gaga

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Time Names Nigerian (guess From Where) Among World’s ‘100 Most Influential’ by tkb417(m): 6:01pm On May 04, 2010
dayokanu:

^^ I cant see any Nigerian either Adeboye or Ikegwuonu Maybe you can bolden their names or did they use their Aliases?

I am suspecting Adeboye is using Sheik Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nahyan and Ikegwuonu is using Lady Gaga

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
u dey mind dem
nonsense and ingredients

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oluyinka Adeparusi Wins German Development Media Award / Why Do Majority Of Yoruba Claim Lagos As State Of Origin. / Plateau Signs Memorandum With Land Owners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.