Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,677 members, 7,809,572 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:26 AM

REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year (15490 Views)

BBNaija: I’ve Had Sugar Daddies In Nigeria – Angel / What's The Best Nigerian Movie You've Ever Watched? / BBNaija: CeeC "Other Housemates Were Drinking, Thinking I’ve Been Evicted" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by gorociano: 4:00pm On Mar 22, 2018
BY ‘SEGUN ODEJIMI

When you successfully execute an entertainment piece that also doubles as some form of education and the end product doesn’t come off as preachy, you don’t know the amazing stunt you have pulled off.

MTV Shuga is built on the pillar of sex education and this season is no different. Even though it slightly leans towards the topic of reproductive health, the core stays same. Target young people and tell them to make their sexual choices with little bit more conscious meditation. Everything else is secondary. But as you do this though, you need to strike a balance. The young people you want to say these things to must be entertained enough to stay with you and they must also be educated enough to stand up from seeing your content with something extra in their heads and on their minds.

MTV Shuga does this with minimal flaw. From the first three episodes I saw (from ten in total this season), I could count at least a dozen cogent messages. But each morsel was brilliantly rolled in draw soup and quickly inserted in our mouths while we opened them in awe at the beautiful pictures we saw on screen.

At the beginning though, the story’s movement as told with the picture was jarring. Following the camera and mini-scenes around almost got me dizzy. But it didn’t take long for it to settle down into a brilliant visual piece. And when it did, it was such a cool ride.

The most impressive part of the show for me was the acting brilliance of the “newbies”. Helena Nelson impressed me most with how she interpreted her role as Diana. As the character dictated, she owned the screen whenever she appeared on it regardless of whether she was in a pair or a group. A sassy, extremely forward, dull-when-it-comes-to-matters-of-the-classroom teenager was brought to life by Helena.

But Helena wasn’t the only one who put up a commendable delivery. Uzoamaka Aniunoh (Cynthia) who Georgia Arnold (the executive director of MTV Staying Alive Foundation) had a few similar kind words for at the premiere, Adebukola Oladipupo (Faa) Amal Umar (Hadiza) as well as veteran Funlola Aofiyebi-Raimi were very good at what they did. Nobody was bad at what they did in this production which is a big statement by everyone involved in this production.

As long as Helena Nelson does not submit herself to mediocre directors and scripts that litter Nollywood and keeps working to improve her talent, we have a monster actor on our hands.

https://tns.ng/review-plenty-lessons-unearthed-gems-why-mtvshuga-season-6-is-the-best-nigerian-content-ive-seen-this-year/

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by Austindark(m): 7:45am On Mar 25, 2018
But as you do this though, you need to strike a balance. The young people you want to say these things to must be entertained enough to stay with you and they must also be educated enough to stand up from seeing your content with something extra in their heads and on their minds.

That's my take too...
Education must be made interesting through different forms of entertainments. Else BBA, BBN will just takeover useful brains.

7 Likes

Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by Nobody: 7:45am On Mar 25, 2018
Good stuff. The previous episode were enlightening as well. I learnt to be afraid of sex from it.
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by Papiikush: 7:45am On Mar 25, 2018
True.

From the storyline to the actors... Any sane person will choose this over that God forsaken Jennifer's diary

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by Zico5(m): 7:45am On Mar 25, 2018
ok
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by Nobody: 7:45am On Mar 25, 2018
Ok
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by Rexnegro(m): 7:46am On Mar 25, 2018
I believe u op cos when I watched it back then I commended on a job well done
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by bigblackbooty(f): 7:46am On Mar 25, 2018
Damn the boys are cute
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by Ruq: 7:46am On Mar 25, 2018
Hypnotic show taah!
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by bigblackbooty(f): 7:47am On Mar 25, 2018
I love dark men.
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by Fuckadict(m): 7:47am On Mar 25, 2018
Mine is dAPChi girls season 1 & 2.

7 Likes

Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by datfreshdoc(m): 7:48am On Mar 25, 2018
cutie cast; I should be in it cry
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by kevoh(m): 7:48am On Mar 25, 2018
Nollywood needs fresh talent and creative directors.
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by SPOILT9JAOLOSHO(m): 7:48am On Mar 25, 2018
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by EnglishPolice(m): 7:49am On Mar 25, 2018
Very educative. I'll always recommend the video to any adolescents that is just stepping into puberty. The characters are near perfect.
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by DollarAngel(m): 7:51am On Mar 25, 2018
Ok
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:52am On Mar 25, 2018
grin

papiforreal:
Good stuff. The previous episode were enlightening as well. I learnt to be afraid of sex from it.

1 Like

Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by Fanatique: 7:54am On Mar 25, 2018
Jfjf
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by kevoh(m): 7:55am On Mar 25, 2018
Nollywood needs fresh talent, creative directors , intelligent story writers and smart producers.

They should do away with the silly royal movies and try to intregrate scenes with the environment not just sit in one place.

2 Likes

Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by overhypedsteve(m): 7:57am On Mar 25, 2018
We are here
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by dkronicle(m): 7:59am On Mar 25, 2018
I haven't seen this series but my friends are saying one thing *you dey miss*
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by HomeOfMe(f): 7:59am On Mar 25, 2018
gorociano:
BY ‘SEGUN ODEJIMI

When you successfully execute an entertainment piece that also doubles as some form of education and the end product doesn’t come off as preachy, you don’t know the amazing stunt you have pulled off.

MTV Shuga is built on the pillar of sex education and this season is no different. Even though it slightly leans towards the topic of reproductive health, the core stays same. Target young people and tell them to make their sexual choices with little bit more conscious meditation. Everything else is secondary. But as you do this though, you need to strike a balance. The young people you want to say these things to must be entertained enough to stay with you and they must also be educated enough to stand up from seeing your content with something extra in their heads and on their minds.

MTV Shuga does this with minimal flaw. From the first three episodes I saw (from ten in total this season), I could count at least a dozen cogent messages. But each morsel was brilliantly rolled in draw soup and quickly inserted in our mouths while we opened them in awe at the beautiful pictures we saw on screen.

At the beginning though, the story’s movement as told with the picture was jarring. Following the camera and mini-scenes around almost got me dizzy. But it didn’t take long for it to settle down into a brilliant visual piece. And when it did, it was such a cool ride.

The most impressive part of the show for me was the acting brilliance of the “newbies”. Helena Nelson impressed me most with how she interpreted her role as Diana. As the character dictated, she owned the screen whenever she appeared on it regardless of whether she was in a pair or a group. A sassy, extremely forward, dull-when-it-comes-to-matters-of-the-classroom teenager was brought to life by Helena.

But Helena wasn’t the only one who put up a commendable delivery. Uzoamaka Aniunoh (Cynthia) who Georgia Arnold (the executive director of MTV Staying Alive Foundation) had a few similar kind words for at the premiere, Adebukola Oladipupo (Faa) Amal Umar (Hadiza) as well as veteran Funlola Aofiyebi-Raimi were very good at what they did. Nobody was bad at what they did in this production which is a big statement by everyone involved in this production.

As long as Helena Nelson does not submit herself to mediocre directors and scripts that litter Nollywood and keeps working to improve her talent, we have a monster actor on our hands.

https://tns.ng/review-plenty-lessons-unearthed-gems-why-mtvshuga-season-6-is-the-best-nigerian-content-ive-seen-this-year/
Quite commendable,good job.
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by hotplate: 8:06am On Mar 25, 2018
any link where I can download the episodes?
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by Basit99(m): 8:10am On Mar 25, 2018
I cannot agree less with you
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by Brymo: 8:11am On Mar 25, 2018
At first, season one, produced in Kenya has a superb storyline and was consistent.

1 Like

Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by Nobody: 8:12am On Mar 25, 2018
gorociano:
BY ‘SEGUN ODEJIMI

Do you think anyone cares? With all the myrad issues plaguing our dear country you think it's MTV shuga Nigerians are concerned about ? Are you kidding.me ?

From.fulani herds men to dapchi girls , poor economy, no power supply, insecurity etc and you in is to post article on MTV shuga?

I think you are a basket case

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by Brymo: 8:14am On Mar 25, 2018
Life has different shades, What's worrying you or doing you, might not be the same with what's worrido anoda person. Get in line.

6 Likes

Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by MrBigiman: 8:21am On Mar 25, 2018
Papiikush:
True.

From the storyline to the actors... Any sane person will choose this over that God forsaken Jennifer's diary

U speak the truth sometimes.
Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by MrBigiman: 8:25am On Mar 25, 2018
Uchihaitaci:

Do you think anyone cares? With all the myrad issues plaguing our dear country you think it's MTV shuga Nigerians are concerned about ? Are you kidding.me ?

From.fulani herds men to dapchi girls , poor economy, no power supply, insecurity etc and you in is to post article on MTV shuga?

I think you are a basket case

How sensible are these statement of yours? Anyone concerning himself with the problems you stated up there would be long dead. Even the present government cares less about them.

7 Likes

Re: REVIEW: Why #mtvshuga Season 6 Is The Best Nigerian Content I’ve Seen This Year by obicaddy(m): 8:28am On Mar 25, 2018
bigblackbooty:
I love dark men.

And I love dark ladies

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

'When Wolves Cry': Movie Centered On Fake News Hits Cinema (Photos) / BBNaija: I Will Never Appeal For Votes - Tobi / Groovy, Adekunle, Bryan, Hermes, Bella & Sheggz Up For Possible Eviction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.