Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,837 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:54 PM

My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me (17180 Views)

How Do I Get My Pay From My Employer?? / Can I Sue My Employer For This?? / My Employer Is Shortchanging Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by oneolajire(m): 7:29am On Mar 25, 2018
I pity your case or I case your pity. Pity them at your own risk.

Did they open their company because of you? Do you know you will be fired if you remain in that little company?

Did you attend sch because of them? You had better quit before the end of the one month.

Take a few days off telling them you need to fix some personal things and see their company flourish without you.
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by align360: 7:30am On Mar 25, 2018
FolsTonyby:
I have been working in this company since late 2014. Initially we were three in the department, later the head of department was sacked, remaining two of us and the company didn't bring any replacement for the head.

Early last year my other colleague got another job and left too leaving only me as the sole staff in the department (IT department). Since then I've been the only person running the department, mind you the company is opening more branches and expanding.

Around December last year when the workload was too much I requested for another hands and the company promised to get me ASAP and even posted the job advert on the dailies but they didn't do any recruitment (upon the fact that many people applied).

Now I got a better job in a multinational and I dropped my resignation letter giving them a month notice but the company refused to accept my letter saying I cannot leave as there is nobody to take over from me. They have recruited people now but the people gave them a month before they can resume and I cannot wait because if I do I will lose my new place, all the information of the company IT wise is in my palm as the company run solely on IT for daily transactions.

Please I need professional advice on this because I am supposed to resume at my new place this coming April.

Any form of advice will do. Help a brother!

If the contract of employment states one month notice before resignation, fine! No need to worry. Submit your letter Of resignation to the hr with or without the approval of your manager. During the period of the one month notice, ensure you document your activities at work either through mail or otherwise. However, you can send a reminder mail to the Hr copying your manager and your personal email for reference and future purpose. If they refuse your entitlement, you can then send a follow up mail with reference to the previous with the intent to sue for breach of contract. I hope this helps.
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:37am On Mar 25, 2018
FolsTonyby:
I have been working in this company since late 2014. Initially we were three in the department, later the head of department was sacked, remaining two of us and the company didn't bring any replacement for the head.

Early last year my other colleague got another job and left too leaving only me as the sole staff in the department (IT department). Since then I've been the only person running the department, mind you the company is opening more branches and expanding.

Around December last year when the workload was too much I requested for another hands and the company promised to get me ASAP and even posted the job advert on the dailies but they didn't do any recruitment (upon the fact that many people applied).

Now I got a better job in a multinational and I dropped my resignation letter giving them a month notice but the company refused to accept my letter saying I cannot leave as there is nobody to take over from me. They have recruited people now but the people gave them a month before they can resume and I cannot wait because if I do I will lose my new place, all the information of the company IT wise is in my palm as the company run solely on IT for daily transactions.

Please I need professional advice on this because I am supposed to resume at my new place this coming April.

then recommend me to replace you for them....willing to start asap......see my email and phone number to reach me.,am good on IT...valentineuwakwe2@gmail.com and 08033559733
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by MissRaine69(f): 7:38am On Mar 25, 2018
Stand your ground
How good an IT guy are you?
Change the passwords
And start your new job
If they want to know what the passwords are they pay you what they owe you.

1 Like

Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by toneroto70: 7:39am On Mar 25, 2018
Once you have fulfilled the company stipulated notice period upon resignation then, you are good to go without any encumbrance. As for your pay, you can always contract a Lawyer to write and threaten them with a law suit at the Nigerian Industrial Court if they do not pay.

I bet you no company wants to waste precious time in court especially when they are in the wrong
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by Nobody: 7:41am On Mar 25, 2018
maybe because you are too cheap, ask your employer to increase your wages and you will see they will let you leave!
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by Nobody: 7:47am On Mar 25, 2018
Take a stress and sickness leave and don't go back, accuse them of putting you under stress with work load? infact demand for a compensation!

damm!! they are lucky i don't work for them, i d have taken them for a long ride.
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by OMEGA009(m): 7:49am On Mar 25, 2018
OP, you are very unserious and greedy. You wan chop for 2 places @ d same time? You can either drop your resignation letter or if they reject it, send it via email and copy yourself or you forgo one month salary in lieu of notice. You don get better work and you still dey pursue small money wey dem dey owe you. My friend, SACRIFICE FOR THE GREATER GOOD.

1 Like

Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by hinograce: 7:52am On Mar 25, 2018
Well I will advice u to leave because they won't revere u when the new intakes come up to speed. U can be sacked without consideration later. What I normally say to myself is. "Will my employer remain if he was me and I was him" ie turn the table around. Especially when I'm feeling too emotional about leaving
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by toprealman: 7:54am On Mar 25, 2018
You are simply a nice guy.....but you need to add some professionalism too. Give your MD a final day and lease inform your lawyer and police too.....#africa
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by CorleonOfSicily: 7:55am On Mar 25, 2018
Send your resignation letter through a courrier service and get the POD (proof of delivery).
When the one month expires, leave that place for your new place but upon resumption, meet whoever is in charge and explain things to him about your former office because the old place will still refree u for your new employer.
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by haslaw(m): 8:03am On Mar 25, 2018
OP, never ever return back to a company afrer you have submitted resignation letter. They may use all kinds of tricks to make you stay but NEVER accept to stay. Because if you do, you will live to regret it as they will humiliate you and eventually sack you.

They knew you were overwhelmed with work and they refused to do nothing about it. How is that any fault of yours. You can resign from any place of work if you are overwhelmed with work as this can have adverse effects on your health.

Leave the stoopeed company and go to your new place as there is nothing they can do about it. They may threaten you but you are well protected under Nigerian labour laws as long as you have not committed any criminal act.

Most Nigerians are too ignorant of their rights and evil and oppressive companies take advantage of their ignorance. Most of these companies dare not even go to court because if they do, they may be the ones to pay you compensation sef.

3 Likes

Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by Nobody: 8:09am On Mar 25, 2018
haha a company relied on IT for her to keep servicing her customers. yet you didn't provide for the solidifying of your core competencies. oga don't have mercy just go.
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by flokii: 8:21am On Mar 25, 2018
You better go and resume at the new place and ignore your former employer..

Just stop going to work and switch off your lines for a month. By May-June, noone will disturb you again.
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by LordKO(m): 8:29am On Mar 25, 2018
OP

I'll rather contribute from a different perspective. Foremost, you're an asset to the company, kudos to you because it's usually hard to come across employees that are literally assets to their companies in a country like ours - many at best are supporters.

Meanwhile, I understand the urge to work for a multinational company yet, a today's indigenous company can be nurtured to become a multinational one, with the right teams and vision in place. So I'd expected you to maximize your opportunity in this indigenous company since you're valued there - knowing how to identify opportunities and seizing them without being opportunistic is one sure ingredient for prosperity. . . . Opportunities abound but it's always hard for many to identify them unless they're in open form.

Consider to enter the negotiation table with the company and request from them a position of an equity/associate directorship - in so doing, if considered, you'll become a party to the company ownership. Believe you me that your life and work ethics will change and prosper for good in the long run. Although this can only be possible if the majority share holder isn't a greedy and mentally parochial person. And, of course, only an adventurer and liberal-minded person in your stead can take this step.

It's better to hold a 10 percent share in a well structured company than to be a sole owner of a company that isn't well structured, or to be a mere employee to either a well or poorly structured one.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by davidadenrele: 8:34am On Mar 25, 2018
Hello,

I read post with so much, awe and attention, however you need to tread softly, i wsnt to kindly advice you based on experience as IT Pro, you have done well by giving your present coy, a 1 month lieu of notice of resgnation letter, but you also have to realize that you cant force your termination of appointment why?? If the new company you just applied to work with is in International company they will request for letter of recongnition which is standard with most coperate companies, letter of recongnition on the basis that you have worked for so and so numbers of years and that your appointment was terminated based on any crime or offence but on mutal consent by you, and therefore the company can testify that you cleared to be of service to any organization of choice you applied for now or in the future.

You need this clearification letter signed by your CHRM or HR Senior of your present comapny.

Straight to the point, appeal to a senior HR personnel in your company that you willing to trained a new staff they will employed with extra hours to catch with the challenges of comapny IT issues when you exit from the company, secondly call the company you applied to stating your challenges with an assurance you will resume once you able to sort your issues not later a month a two weeks so as not to call the next available IT guy since you are still having issues with your present company. Thirdly please be prayeful i wish you all the very best, on a final note most standard companies will push you to terminate you present appointment and later asked you for a letter of recongnition to be sure you have no criminal records be wise, you dont burn briges to helps up, ypu keep briges just incase you might need it to cross back from where you are coming from.

2 Likes

Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by adatemi: 8:37am On Mar 25, 2018
FolsTonyby:
I'm actually afraid that they may not pay me for the month which I think is total cheating in my own opinion. And I badly need the Money. Is there anything I can do to let them pay me
By law all they need is 30 days notice. If you're afraid that the company may not pay you despite giving them the 30 days notice, what makes you think they will pay even if you work for additional months? Go ahead to your new job and continue with your life, best of luck!
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by 400billionman: 8:44am On Mar 25, 2018
FolsTonyby:
I'm actually afraid that they may not pay me for the month which I think is total cheating in my own opinion. And I badly need the Money. Is there anything I can do to let them pay me
In life. Don't lose the big picture ", Penny wise Pound foolish. If someone steals your N20,000 but you can make N200m next month, why concentrate on the former.
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by Nobody: 8:44am On Mar 25, 2018
krissconnect:
Hahahahahaha. Kai, people sef. Did u agree to a life contract with ur employer? Did he place an arrest warrant on u? Did he tie you to his company's building? Are ur legs and hands tied that u can't leave? undecided oga, u can leave if u want to, don't start calling for unnecessary attention pls. #peace

People are different, some people don't always want to leave a work place with grudge or do something bad that will tarnish their image.
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by shallysgirl: 8:49am On Mar 25, 2018
krissconnect:
Hahahahahaha. Kai, people sef. Did u agree to a life contract with ur employer? Did he place an arrest warrant on u? Did he tie you to his company's building? Are ur legs and hands tied that u can't leave? undecided oga, u can leave if u want to, don't start calling for unnecessary attention pls. #peace
I bow o.
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by Lerumo: 9:08am On Mar 25, 2018
Send your resignation letter by email and copy your private email address.

Don’t agree to stay even if they offer you more money. They will use you to train the new recruits and when they believe they have a good replacement for you, they will sack you with or without any agreement.

2 Likes

Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by Dhayor001(m): 9:14am On Mar 25, 2018
Depending on what type of a risk taker you are, speak with an attorney and negotiate better terms with your employer.

Better terms should include but not limited to higher pay, better working conditions, a promotion, and a tenure for which you cannot be laid (especially where there has been no fraud or misconduct).

In the absence of this, speak with your new employers, if your resignation letter was sent via mail and a response through the same medium, better for you.

Cheers
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by ivandragon: 9:14am On Mar 25, 2018
FolsTonyby:

first of all, what does your offer of appointment letter state to the effect of withdrawal/termination of appointment?

what is the notice required to be given to either party before the appointment can be terminated? is it one month or more & what is the condition for 'in lieu of notice'?

subject to the above questions, you can leave your present organisation if you have given the appropriate notice. the length of the notice is there so that the company can get another person to replace you & if they fail to do so within the stipulated notice, its not your concern anymore.

the best you can do for them is to be available to train a replacement during your free time & at your convenience.
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by DonaTee(f): 9:19am On Mar 25, 2018
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by DonaTee(f): 9:20am On Mar 25, 2018
FolsTonyby:

Talk to a Lawyer for clarifications. You may consider a sick leave.
Pls do not miss d new job.
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by shams040(m): 9:32am On Mar 25, 2018
KOPT33:
First of all, you're a valuable employee to this company but it seems they're reluctant to admit how much value and importance you hold in their operations.

A business, just like an individual, has needs. Your company refusing to let you go is a way of communicating just how much you are needed. This should be a leverage.

If you have documentary proof of the requests you made for more hands to join you, then have no fear. The law states that you have to give some notice of your intention to leave, but I don't think the labour laws say that your employer has to accept your notice to quit. Insofar you have given them notice of your intention to leave after a certain period, you can always walk away at the end of it all. Just ensure you have copies of the notice you gave them when you were overwhelmed and they didn't act on it.

You can't stay on in this company but if you do decide to stay -- ask them in very strong terms to

1 - hire more people that will join your team
2- an assurance in writing that you will not be sacked for period of time e.g one year, except in the event of serious misdemeanor or wrongdoing.
3- Ask for for more money - for you to agree to stay, they must match what the MNC is offering.

You need number one because obviously you can't handle all the work alone.

You need number two because employers can be very malicious.

You need number three because your value has just gone up and it will be foolhardy to remain at the same remunerative position.

I love this

1 Like

Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by Melian(f): 9:42am On Mar 25, 2018
Better dump their ass and move forward. Like the first poster said, your legs aren't tied to the coy's building. You owe them nothing.
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by armadeo(m): 9:43am On Mar 25, 2018
FolsTonyby:

I know this is your fear.

If I were you I will leave for the better job as long as the pay is better. You can always survive a month till the payday.

It's all about perspective. Forget the pay and bounce. You've even given them one month notice. If they pay fine if not move o with life. You cannot let one month salary hold you back from a brighter future no matter how much it is.

IMO.
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by Sezua(m): 9:49am On Mar 25, 2018
KOPT33:
First of all, you're a valuable employee to this company but it seems they're reluctant to admit how much value and importance you hold in their operations.

A business, just like an individual, has needs. Your company refusing to let you go is a way of communicating just how much you are needed. This should be a leverage.

If you have documentary proof of the requests you made for more hands to join you, then have no fear. The law states that you have to give some notice of your intention to leave, but I don't think the labour laws say that your employer has to accept your notice to quit. Insofar you have given them notice of your intention to leave after a certain period, you can always walk away at the end of it all. Just ensure you have copies of the notice you gave them when you were overwhelmed and they didn't act on it.

You can't stay on in this company but if you do decide to stay -- ask them in very strong terms to

1 - hire more people that will join your team
2- an assurance in writing that you will not be sacked for period of time e.g one year, except in the event of serious misdemeanor or wrongdoing.
3- Ask for for more money - for you to agree to stay, they must match what the MNC is offering.

You need number one because obviously you can't handle all the work alone.

You need number two because employers can be very malicious.

You need number three because your value has just gone up and it will be foolhardy to remain at the same remunerative position.

Take this advice.
This happened to me. They refused to comply and i walked away. I do not regret one bit.
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by omowolewa: 9:50am On Mar 25, 2018
please don't wait, they will trash you afterwards
Re: My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me by litaninja(m): 9:55am On Mar 25, 2018
Document what needs to be handed over, procedures, processes, policies, configurations....etc
Leave the firm once the month you gave as notice has elapsed.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria / Please I Urgently Need Advice / Is It Right Or Wrong For The Trainee To Kneel Before Collecting Her Certificate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.