Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,743 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets (2268 Views)

NCC Reveals List Of Unapproved Phones In Nigerian Markets That Should Be Avoided / Why Do Pixel,nokia ,Sony And Motorola Offer Stock Android? / Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets by chicwoman(f): 4:35pm On Mar 26, 2018
A discussion we have had in-house here at MobilityArena is about how Lenovo and Motorola smartphones are not doing very well in the market. Their devices had little to no advertising and visibility in Nigeria, and from the report we have, the situation was not different in Kenya and other African countries. That report says that Lenovo Mobile and its subsidiary, Motorola Mobile, are exiting African markets.

Our Kenyan friends at TechWeez report that Lenovo and Motorola have closed shop in Kenya and laid off over 90% of their staff:

We admit we didnt see this coming. Lenovo, the company that now owns Motorola Mobile has packed its bags and formally exited the Kenyan market as of the second week of March. The company is said to have laid off over 90% of its Kenyan staff in December of 2017.

According to the TechWeez report, the situation is not limited to just Kenya. Apparently, Lenovo has reportedly shut down all its smartphone operations in Africa but would continue to sell their phones in the region through distributors from UAE.

In March 2017, Lenovo ran a promo, perhaps the first ever I would see, offering a pack of noodles for every Lenovo Vibe C purchased. It was also perhaps the last publicity activity by the company that I can remember.

While we didn’t see this closing of operations coming either, this development hasn’t caused any ripples or shaking here. Both smartphone brands have simply not made a splash in the markets. In Nigeria, you could run a random sampling and will be hard pressed to find one in ten people who use a Lenovo or Motorola smartphone. You would be hard pressed to find one in twenty too.

TechWeez has an official statement from the company:
Updated with Official Statement from Motorola:

“To grow and protect our Motorola business, we are rationalizing some of our organizations and as a result are deploying a new strategy and operating model in some countries. In Kenya, we will transition into an exclusive distribution model for independent and organized retail where our business partner will manage our day-to-day business with the support of the Motorola regional team, and our operator business remains as it is today with a direct partnership with trusted partners like Safaricom. Our main goal is to ensure consumers can choose the best of Motorola products in the Kenyan market and keep a strong overall customer experience including after sales support"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets by Realboygenius(m): 5:48pm On Mar 26, 2018
This is sad
We should commend tecno and the likes for being stable and reliable

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets by seaboyzen: 7:26pm On Mar 26, 2018
grin who want you before

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets by Deshannel(m): 7:34pm On Mar 26, 2018
The likes of Tecno and Infinix crept into the market with affordable phones for the average African. And when they got credibility, they took their game up by making flagships that would match any European high end devices even at similar prices.
Moral of the story : Earn the trust of the market and become a household name first.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets by princemillla(m): 8:08pm On Mar 26, 2018
They are not upto the game.

Lenovo phones are prone to malwares. They allow the chinese ruin their product.

For me, the continious usage of spd makes it a huge joke. Next is coolpad if they ever existed self.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets by Jazzlite: 8:57pm On Mar 26, 2018
Lenovo is a greedy phone maker. It had great products but deliberately ruined them via useless updates that rendered them useless example is the Lenovo A5000

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets by chicwoman(f): 9:06pm On Mar 26, 2018
Ehya

So Hello Moto has left us

Anyway back to my work abeg
Re: GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets by Nobody: 9:26pm On Mar 26, 2018
I still use Lenovo a5000 and it is doing great.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets by skywalker240(m): 9:27pm On Mar 26, 2018
These european brands lack market strategies, and hardly satisfy consumerso. hence this situation. I even thought The great(back then) nokia was almost going the same route. Good riddance(4rm a sentimental point)
But i feel 4 their Nigerian staffs. THey might jst be laid off too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets by Nobody: 9:40pm On Mar 26, 2018
Try lenovo vibe p1m, just 28k awesome specs, nice battery

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets by bravesoul247(m): 10:42pm On Mar 26, 2018
This is a major neglect on Africa. TECNO has shown love and appreciation for the partronage they've been getting from the Nigerian market. Bless up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:14am On Mar 27, 2018
radiokilla:
I still use Lenovo a5000 and it is doing great.
I also use their laptop its rugged

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets by PurestBoy(m): 10:15am On Mar 27, 2018
I'm currently using Moto G4 Plus, very strong phone and been using it for over a year now, was sent from Brazil and haven't seen it in Nigerian market.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 27, 2018
Wiseandtrue:

I also use their laptop its rugged
ok ma

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets by giftedben: 3:08pm On Mar 27, 2018
If they waited 5 more years, they will make it big in Nigerian market.
Re: GOODBYE: Lenovo And Motorola Say To African Markets by chicwoman(f): 8:03pm On Mar 29, 2018
Well Lenovo brand has been good. But most of these foreign companies feel marketing strategies overseas should be used also in Africa.

They often forget it's a whole different market terrain.

(1) (Reply)

How To Get Airtel 4GB Data With Just N300 Plus Hint About Airtel 4G / Leeco Le 1s, 32 Gig ROM, 3gig RAM, Remote Control Censor, Fingerprint, 25k / Who To Blame - MTN Or Gtbank?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.