Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,949 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets (27628 Views)

Why SIM Cards Linked With NIN Are Being Barred - NCC / Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number / FG To Disconnect SIM Cards Not Synchronised With National ID Number (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by jarawa: 6:07am On Dec 07, 2020
* Vendors register customers without ID
* The act compromises nat’l security – Experts
* NCC, telcos deny wrongdoing even as shoddy deals persist

Improperly registered Subscriber Identification Module (SIM) cards have flooded Nigerian streets and markets as they are freely sold to willing buyers, Daily Trust reports.

With just N200 or less, customers who want the SIM cards for legitimate purposes or those with criminal intent get them from vendors selling by the roadside, in vans or wheel borrows.

This is against a ministerial directive one year ago for the blocking of all improperly registered SIM cards to stem insecurity and other crimes.

Mobile telecommunication providers were also asked to ensure all SIM cards were properly registered but findings revealed that shoddy deals remained prevalent across the country.

A lot of irregularities persist amidst insistence by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) the regulatory body and the telecommunications companies that the right process is being followed.

Experts say it would be difficult for security operatives to contain acts of terrorism, kidnapping, banditry and other sundry crimes when those perpetrating them have unlimited access to SIM cards.

On September 12, 2019, the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Ibrahim Pantami, directed that all SIM cards not properly registered be blocked until they are fully registered.

Officials said the aim was to ensure that the over 184 million registered SIM cards/mobile lines across Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) networks had valid data that were traceable and not anonymous.

Data from the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) as at March 2020, showed that the number of improperly-registered SIM cards had dropped from 9.2m to 2.2m.
A sim card registration official attending to customers at the Farm Centre, GSM Market in Kano

This is just as the regulatory agency insists it has provisions that prescribe a controlled environment where SIM cards must be registered and not with roadside agents.

The NCC also said it was harmonising data on the national ID card with SIM card details and the international passport to ensure a seamless identification of SIM card owners.

Similarly, the telecommunications companies, MTN, Airtel and 9mobile, all said they accord utmost priority to SIM card registration and that they ensure that they work with only persons/ entities licensed by the NCC in registration activities.

Daily Trust reports that the Senate has directed its committees on communications and legislative compliance to summon Pantami over the country’s growing insecurity.

The resolution of the upper legislative chamber followed a motion sponsored by the Senate’s Deputy Minority Leader, Emmanuel Bwacha.

While moving his motion, the Taraba South senator lamented that relevant authorities were allowing people to use communications services without taking their information – valid identification and biometrics.

Daily Trust investigation found out that SIM cards purchased by the roadside from alleged accredited vendors of the telecommunications companies are being described as “recycled lines” by customers who bought them. Our correspondents saw many infractions after surveying mobile phone and SIM card vending hubs on the streets of Abuja city centre and some neighbourhoods; as well as in Nasarawa, Kano, Kaduna and Lagos states.

At the offices of Glo and MTN in Wuse 2 in Abuja and those of 9Mobile and Airtel within the same axis, vendors were seen discouraging people from going into the main telecoms offices, saying they could do the same job of issuing and registering SIM cards for them.

Many unsuspecting customers get lines through the process and later discover that it is either not well registered or the line belonged to someone else.

Musa Usman said he bought a SIM card for his brother by proxy, an act that is against the rule.

“I was asked to provide an ID card, but I told the vendor that it was for my brother and he registered it after I parted with extra N200. However, he told me that they were not allowed to register by proxy,” Usman said.

Glory Akor complained of how she kept receiving calls from strange people through her newly ‘registered’ MTN and Airtel lines, claiming the lines belonged to people they knew.

“I became disturbed when someone from the South kept calling through the Airtel line and addressing me as ‘Bolaji’ whom he claimed owned the SIM card. I was accused of stealing the line and I had to drop it,” she said.

Mr Sunday Okoh, a resident of Mararaba town in Nasarawa State, said he bought a ‘new SIM card’ and registered it at a vending hub along the Abuja – Keffi expressway.

“After paying N200, the SIM card vendor purportedly took my biometric data and captured my face with a camera. He said the line had been registered and I left.
https://dailytrust.com/danger-as-recycled-sim-cards-flood-streets-markets

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Saao(m): 6:10am On Dec 07, 2020
Don't know where the get the info from but your newly purchased sim can't function without proper registration. Bought from Cms in Lagos few months back and that was what happened.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Skyfornia(m): 6:28am On Dec 07, 2020
shocked Nigeria and Nigerians which way?..the level of abnormality in this country is glaring. This country is out of control...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Nobody: 6:28am On Dec 07, 2020
Same thing is happening to me right now... Whenever people call my 4 months old MTN number with Truecaller it will bring Okafor Nmesomar.... People are calling me... speaking Igbo some even Hausa... I'm planning on breaking the SIM cos I don't have money for lawyer if kasala happen.

107 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Nobody: 6:35am On Dec 07, 2020
I hope if I buy one, DSS will not come and say I bought president Buhari's former SIM o? undecided

You know most of the unknown numbers that call you when you buy recycled SIMs are northerners. I wonder why they have such a high turnaround of recycled numbers in the north grin

100 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by AFULA(m): 6:35am On Dec 07, 2020
okay
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:35am On Dec 07, 2020
With just N200 or less, customers who want the SIM cards for legitimate purposes or those with criminal intent get them from vendors selling by the roadside, in vans or wheel borrows.
This is one thing that can never happen in a sane society.
Becareful out there peeps.

I was asked to provide an ID card, but I told the vendor that it was for my brother and he registered it after I parted with extra N200. However, he told me that they were not allowed to register by proxy,” Usman said.

Glory Akor complained of how she kept receiving calls from strange people through her newly ‘registered’ MTN and Airtel lines
Can you just imagine this?
Dis country matter no be for hia o

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by djflexcy: 6:36am On Dec 07, 2020
Maybe only in the north you can get that, cos I don't understand where the recycling is coming from.
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by fixedhollies(m): 6:36am On Dec 07, 2020
Na soso bank alert me they receive... i don break d sim

22 Likes

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by lkillbrokehoes: 6:36am On Dec 07, 2020
Doradorwa:
Same thing is happening to me right now... Whenever people call my 4 months old MTN number with Truecaller it will bring Okafor Nmesomar.... People are calling me... speaking Igbo some even Hausa... I'm planning on breaking the SIM cos I don't have money for lawyer if kasala happen.
Better to break it and throw it away because if anything happens it will be pinned to you because u are the one using the sim

7 Likes

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by seunlayi(m): 6:36am On Dec 07, 2020
That is bad
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by lkillbrokehoes: 6:36am On Dec 07, 2020
s
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Exponental(m): 6:37am On Dec 07, 2020
Nigeria under this leadership is something else.

3 Likes

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by free2ryhme: 6:37am On Dec 07, 2020
jarawa:

https://dailytrust.com/danger-as-recycled-sim-cards-flood-streets-markets

All these cut and paste journalism is hard rubbish.

There is nothing wrong if the reporter buys a N200 sim and a present any Identity card to confirm if road side registration automatically activates the SIM.

Such experiment gives validity and credibility to the findings

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Sonnobax15(m): 6:37am On Dec 07, 2020
grin. I have been using this my sim card for the past nine years,but I've been receiving different calls from hausa people of late

So Tay some go even dey argue with me

na only God know how many salah maleku wey I don hear from hausa people for some time na

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by 9jaBlogger: 6:37am On Dec 07, 2020
Lol
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Dididrumz(m): 6:38am On Dec 07, 2020
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by henrycloud: 6:38am On Dec 07, 2020
Was going to say something then I remembered it's Nigeria. #ENDSARS
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by seunlayi(m): 6:39am On Dec 07, 2020
Saao:
Don't know where the get the info from but your newly purchased sim can't function without proper registration. Bought from Cms in Lagos few months back and that was what happened.

It is very true. One family even distributed Airtel simply card, registered and loaded with airtime to a whole church congregation about a month ago

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by DarkJeddi(m): 6:39am On Dec 07, 2020
Saao:
This is Nigeria and a lot of irregularities are going on..
A whole lot,and I have personally experienced it..

2 Likes

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by OakConsultNG: 6:39am On Dec 07, 2020
True..

Get huge discounts, take your business to the peak today.. Register your Business, Church and Company with the CAC today! Obtain your TIN. Check our signature and page for more details.

Offer lasts for a limited period only.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by free2ryhme: 6:40am On Dec 07, 2020
Sonnobax15:
s

.. for slow
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Nobody: 6:40am On Dec 07, 2020
Doradorwa:

You are supposed to get a lawyer and sue mtn. Chai. See money making avenue being wasted

2 Likes

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by myboy2010(m): 6:40am On Dec 07, 2020
I fear d country, when our leaders are bad y went d citizen b bad
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Pierocash(m): 6:40am On Dec 07, 2020
This is not the problem of Nigeria
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by prodev986: 6:40am On Dec 07, 2020
Okay
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Pio44: 6:40am On Dec 07, 2020
Too bad, Nigeria don't have database, maybe they have use those one to scam people and then throw them away
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by EdoFirstBorn(m): 6:40am On Dec 07, 2020
Saao:

Then you don't know anything

Here in southsouth Yoruba boys sell sims with fake registration for 300 naira

That's one of the many criminal activities they leave southwest and come here to commit daily
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by viqSmallz(m): 6:40am On Dec 07, 2020
Imagine my previous SIM was recycled and given to another person. He was even getting my bank alerts and bought airtime off my account. Reason because I didn’t use my sim for 3months. When I wanted to go reactivate the sim, I was told I go bring many many documents, when it clearly shows on their portal I own it. Airtel sucks.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

One Billion Yahoo Accounts Hacked! / Mtn Stealing Millions From Their Customers In The Current Promo / Phones And Tablets That Will Be Rocking In Nigeria This 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.