Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,222 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? (28479 Views)

FG Urges Citizens To Link NIN To SIM Without Delay / Linking NIN To SIM: Matters Arising / What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by ireneidiva(f): 3:38pm On Mar 28, 2018
jayson87:
After reading all the comments, I have just come to terms that, uninformed and uncouth persons are those behind most moniker here on Nairaland. You mean you don't know your network recycles numbers that have been inactive for 3months.

Whew! jeez
ITK. 365 days not 3 months.
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by Barlowskillz(m): 3:41pm On Mar 28, 2018
Icecream4U:
I tried this on a new Sim I bought after receiving a message from a bank which I don't have account with. Base on the message, I use the code to load 1,000 Naira and it was successful! I got alert on the Sim. The person has about 364k in his account. shocked

It's been almost two months now, no call from the owner and no transaction has been done on the account - no deposit, no withdrawal. I'm beginning to think maybe the owner is dead o!

Fear no let me use the Sim again cos it was registered with my real details my drivers license and my real home address. Make efcc no come visit man.

So, in a case where someone died leaving money in his bank account his family does not know about, what would happen to the money?

So out of 364k you only took out 1k? My brother that's very bad of you.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by made2fit(f): 3:49pm On Mar 28, 2018
jayson87:
After reading all the comments, I have just come to terms that, uninformed and uncouth persons are those behind most moniker here on Nairaland. You mean you don't know your network recycles numbers that have been inactive for 3months.

Whew! jeez
how will he know? is it written boldly on every sim pack you buy? I bet there are 'common' things you yourself don't know about. We are all hear to learn, brother.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by cnonyechi(f): 4:09pm On Mar 28, 2018
noeloge82:

I use Access bank and if it's their Mobile App it will ask u for your pin and then u verify before payment or airtime purchase maybe u can check it now u will see
I use access bank and with *904*amount # u r good to go

1 Like

Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by ImaIma1(f): 4:18pm On Mar 28, 2018
Icecream4U:
I tried this on a new Sim I bought after receiving a message from a bank which I don't have account with. Base on the message, I use the code to load 1,000 Naira and it was successful! I got alert on the Sim. The person has about 364k in his account. shocked

It's been almost two months now, no call from the owner and no transaction has been done on the account - no deposit, no withdrawal. I'm beginning to think maybe the owner is dead o!

Fear no let me use the Sim again cos it was registered with my real details my drivers license and my real home address. Make efcc no come visit man.

So, in a case where someone died leaving money in his bank account his family does not know about, what would happen to the money?

This happened to a customer. He wasn't using his sin for a while and it was reassigned. The person that bought the new line was loading airtime constantly uo to 40k. The account owner was an army pensioner.

When the thief was called and confronted, he was begging and even crying on the phone1
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by Rozaytee: 4:18pm On Mar 28, 2018
they are thrown away..wen granny died i threw her sim away

1 Like

Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Mar 28, 2018
Rozaytee:
they are thrown away..wen granny died i threw her sim away
why? Some millions maybe tied to that number, btw what u flash in that DP is so inviting.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by fashrola(m): 4:33pm On Mar 28, 2018
Glo is really guilty of this issue....

I have two Glo lines already registered with true caller with previous owners. .. and the first line i always receive credit and alert from zenith Bank till i had to abandon the line for another Glo line. .
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by horlahsunbo225(m): 4:41pm On Mar 28, 2018
Henrypraise:
i decided to ask this question after certain events.

So i decided to call my late dads mobile number (its mtn tho) out if plain curiosity, I was surprised it rang n sumone picked it, i immediately established friendship wit this individual who intimated me on how he bought d number from mtn office. He explained dat immediately he inserted d number, calls started coming n even bank alerts...

Mind u, my late dad used dis number for more dan 10years n barely 2years after his death his number was sold to a new customer.

my questions:
the
1. Is it legal for mtn to do dis? (make i sue na na)

2. is dia a procedure for deactivating sim numbers? (i can imagine if dis sim had fallen into d hands of fraudsters)

my nairaland family pls advice..
I have the same issue na so uba keep sendinge.statement of acc every month and I dont bank with them

Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by rezzy: 4:52pm On Mar 28, 2018
noeloge82:

U need a four digit pin to authorize any transaction using the short codes so there is no way u buy card do transfer without having to know the owners four Digits

If you are recharging same line, you don't need any pin.

It happened to my brother. He traveled out, left his sim with his girlfriend, the girlfriend didn't put it in a phone for a while. It was deactivated and a lady bought it. The lady recharge 6k in less than 24 hrs. My brother get email alert. He contacted the bank and the sim was deactivated from his account.

We here called the girl to threaten her but she denied ever recharging thru the bank.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by Angy55(f): 5:34pm On Mar 28, 2018
Icecream4U:
Mine na eco bank too o. And you don't need to register it for ussd. This is the code I used to load the Sim *326*1000#

Okay grin grin grin
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by noeloge82(m): 5:39pm On Mar 28, 2018
cnonyechi:

I use access bank and with *904*amount # u r good to go

Just try it now cos mine is asking for my pin
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by Synthase(m): 5:39pm On Mar 28, 2018
noeloge82:

Pls which bank cos it will always ask for transact code which is four digit no
Bro, when recharging your line directly from your gtb account, you don't need any four digit number. That's what the guy did; meaning he probably recharged his new number from the gtb account of the old owner of the line out of curiosity...

2 Likes

Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by noeloge82(m): 5:40pm On Mar 28, 2018
rezzy:

If you are recharging same line, you don't need any pin.

It happened to my brother. He traveled out, left his sim with his girlfriend, the girlfriend didn't put it in a phone for a while. It was deactivated and a lady bought it. The lady recharge 6k in less than 24 hrs. My brother get email alert. He contacted the bank and the sim was deactivated from his account.

We here called the girl to threaten her but she denied ever recharging thru the bank.
Which bank pls
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by rezzy: 5:42pm On Mar 28, 2018
noeloge82:

Which bank pls

I can't remember the bank. I will chat him up to tell me the bank
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by noeloge82(m): 5:44pm On Mar 28, 2018
Synthase:

Bro, when recharging your line directly from your gtb account, you don't need any four digit number. That's what the guy did; meaning he probably recharged his new number from the gtb account of the old owner of the line out of curiosity...
Am surprised cos I have a Gtb account and before any financial transactions it will ask for the transaction pin even on their 737 it's same so I wonder how others don't ask them could it be that it's an instruction during filling form for on line transactions
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by Fourwinds: 5:45pm On Mar 28, 2018
made2fit:
how will he know? is it written boldly on every sim pack you buy? I bet there are 'common' things you yourself don't know about. We are all hear to learn, brother.
I'm happy about your reply to that guy...I wanted to reply him but I knew it would have resulted into insults.... na really ITK
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by rezzy: 5:51pm On Mar 28, 2018
I just tried recharging from my gtb account. I dialed *737*500#

The reply I got was
Your bank account balance is not sufficient......
No pin asked

1 Like

Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by Synthase(m): 5:54pm On Mar 28, 2018
noeloge82:

Am surprised cos I have a Gtb account and before any financial transactions it will ask for the transaction pin even on their 737 it's same so I wonder how others don't ask them could it be that it's an instruction during filling form for on line transactions
The pin is only required when you are making a third party recharge or money transfer from your account. Dialing *737*amount# will load that amount on your cell number.
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by uyigideon(m): 6:16pm On Mar 28, 2018
Icecream4U:

This would have been another tread entirely, good question.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 6:46pm On Mar 28, 2018
obaataaokpaewu:
I was surprised when I saw my former etisalat number on my whatsApp(didnt register WhatsApp with the number) contact list with a display picture of someone I haven't come across before
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by ObaIgwe1: 7:12pm On Mar 28, 2018
davidflipcy5856:
When my brother travelled out, he gave his SIM to our mum to keep using so it doesn't get blocked. The line is tied with his bank accounts. So you can give it to your siblings or folks to keep. The person you give will be helping you recharge it and keep it active.

My mom is not living in Nigeria, my dad is late and I didn't wanna leave it with my siblings, before they find out the balances in my accounts and I start getting unending financial requests coz the line is linked to my accounts
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by holysina(m): 7:34pm On Mar 28, 2018
May be mine is a magic because I Havent used my line for like 3 years now, I found it in my old walet today, I inserted it in my phone and it showed MTN roaming with all my old contacts inside, I decided to make international recharge and it went through, I made a call with it and it went through am still surprised though

2 Likes

Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by madgoat(m): 7:42pm On Mar 28, 2018
Icecream4U:

364K grin how far na, sell the sim to me. Let EFCC do their worse to me, highest i spend few months in jail and get released.

1 Like

Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by Devgist: 8:36pm On Mar 28, 2018
JideSM:

Hi Henrypraise, please note that if there is no activity on a line for 365 days, it will be disconnected/recycled and another customer can purchase it. As regards the bank alerts, you will need to visit the bank to unlink the number from his account. In addition, I wish to inform you that I currently run a thread here called the MTN Customer care https://www.nairaland.com/1379574/mtn-customer-care-thread/ where issues like this are discussed and resolved.
Why will Telecom Service providers re-cycle numbers when bank details are linked to it?
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by elitejayjeff(m): 9:14pm On Mar 28, 2018
OceanmorganTrix:
undecided

That's not true sir,first the line is deactivated, that's after 3 to 4 months depending on the network. Lines are recycle like after a year or even more.

Numbers are recycled by network providers after four months if it is no longer active (i.e if it is not inserted in a phone, no recharge made, no calls or text) and sold out to customers from other regions.
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by davit: 9:25pm On Mar 28, 2018
ObaIgwe1:
Hmmmmm

I have an Airtell line and I am presently out of Naija for a project and might not be back in Naija until next year. I didn't leave my sim behind with anyone for privacy concern. I plan recharging it maybe every 2 months from my account online. Hope my line is safe this way. I don't want it deactivated and sold out o.

Or. What else can I do?
I don't know about Airtel. But with MTN you can retain your line with annual fee of 500 naira when not in the country for a long time. Google it.
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by benjanny(m): 10:03pm On Mar 28, 2018
I have a friend who died 3 years ago,I have refused to delete his number and till now the number has been switch off.Likewise my late mum,s number she died two years ago and the number is still switch off
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by Icecream4U(m): 10:28pm On Mar 28, 2018
Barlowskillz:

So out of 364k you only took out 1k? My brother that's very bad of you.
The sim was registered with my real info. The house address i gave them belongs to me - I'm the landlord. So, I no go wan fvck myself up na. To avoid stories that touch.
Re: What Happens To Sim Numbers Of Deceased People? by Ztittude(m): 11:30pm On Mar 28, 2018
noeloge82:

I use Access bank and if it's their Mobile App it will ask u for your pin and then u verify before payment or airtime purchase maybe u can check it now u will see
from fone with the ussd code.. you don't need pin

so some1 can recharge the phone with airtime and transfer it if he knows ur normal airtime transfer pin, then delete all the text... it's as dangerous as that

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

9mobile Launches N14,000 Rhino 2 Android Phone / The Blackberry Z30! The Game Changer For Blackberry Guys!! / Phone Is Gradually Turning Me To Something Else(help/advice)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.