Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,259 members, 7,815,412 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity (1256 Views)

Rev King, Pentecostalism, Christianity, Gullibility And Igbo Nation / Tongues: A Fundamental Flaw In Pentecostalism / My Fear For Pentecostalism. . .will She Last? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by donnie(m): 9:53pm On Mar 11, 2007
Someone asked me to show him from the bible where it says that the Holy Spirit weeps. I might not be able to show you in black and white but comparing scripture with scripture you will understand. In my experience, while in prayer, i have heard him weep for the world, for sinners and for the afflicted and sick. I sometimes hear him weep when i ignore Him and go doing things my own way. The bible tells us that Jesus wept at the grave of Lazarus. And remember He had said, 'i do what i see my father do'. The bible also says about Jesus that He is touched with the feelings of our infirmity. The bible lets us know that the Holy Spirit can be grieved. It is not strange therefore to hear that that gentle Holy Spirit weeps in compassion with and over us since the three persons- father son and Holy ghost are one. Jesus is the express image of the father's person and the fullness of the God- head dwells in Him. He said, 'if you have seen me, you have seen the father.' If you would read Isaiah 63:7-9 it talks about the angel of His presence (which is the Holy Ghost) who carried the Israelites through the wilderness, protecting them. It says in verse 9 that 'in all their distresses, He too was distressed.' So He does express such emotions. And as for whether i look like the Holy Spirit? My answer is in the words of John. He said, 'as He is, so are we in this World'. Do Jesus and the holy spirit look alike? Emphatically yes! So?
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by shahan(f): 12:24am On Mar 12, 2007
@donnie,

There was absolutely no need to open a new thread just to answer an enquiry where doing so in the existing thread would have saved the day. Now to the gist of your post:

donnie:

Someone asked me to show him from the bible where it says that the Holy Spirit weeps. I might not be able to show you in black and white but comparing scripture with scripture you will understand. In my experience, while in prayer, i have heard him weep for the world, for sinners and for the afflicted and sick.

I won't try to disparage your experience; but I would rather be persuaded by the Word of God than taking anyone's experiences for it. We live in a day when people tnd to magnify their own experiences over Scripture; and I trust you're not one of them.

Nonetheless, we read of the various passions of the Holy Spirit in a number of verses. He can be grieved (Eph. 4:30); lied to (Acts 5:3-5); and bears/helps with our infirmities (Rom. 8:26). But nowhere does Scripture give us the picture of Him weeping.

donnie:

I sometimes hear him weep when i ignore Him and go doing things my own way. The bible tells us that Jesus wept at the grave of Lazarus. And remember He had said, 'i do what i see my father do'.

This is simply pushing humanistic ideas. So, Jesus' weeping at the grave of Lazarus meant that the Father was also weeping? Are we to take it then that when Jesus cried "with a loud voice" on the Cross, the Father was also crying with a loud voice as well? Or, that when Jesus was hungry (Matt. 21:18) the father was also hungry?

You really don't push this idea willy-nilly and make them up supposedly from the Bible.

donnie:

The bible also says about Jesus that He is touched with the feelings of our infirmity. The bible lets us know that the Holy Spirit can be grieved. It is not strange therefore to hear that that gentle Holy Spirit weeps in compassion with and over us since the three persons- father son and Holy ghost are one.

The Holy Spirit does not weep - it is men that have supposed He does.

donnie:

Jesus is the express image of the father's person and the fullness of the God- head dwells in Him. He said, 'if you have seen me, you have seen the father.' If you would read Isaiah 63:7-9 it talks about the angel of His presence (which is the Holy Ghost) who carried the Israelites through the wilderness, protecting them.

The angel of His presence is rather the Lord Jesus Christ in His pre-incarnate ministry. You can read the following verses for cross-reference and verification: Exodus 23:20; 32:34; 33:2; and Num. 20:16.

donnie:

It says in verse 9 that 'in all their distresses, He too was distressed.' So He does express such emotions.

That cannot be stretched to mean that the Holy Spirit weeps.

donnie:

And as for whether i look like the Holy Spirit? My answer is in the words of John. He said, 'as He is, so are we in this World'. Do Jesus and the holy spirit look alike? Emphatically yes! So?

By taking John's statement out of context, you have cleverly arrived at something different from the intended meaning in I John 4:17. Study it carefully - perhaps you will see just how you short-changed yourself.
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by lysaa(f): 10:08am On Mar 12, 2007
I won't try to disparage your experience; but I would rather be persuaded by the Word of God than taking anyone's experiences for it. We live in a day when people tnd to magnify their own experiences over Scripture; and I trust you're not one of them.

That's true, but I respect people's experiences. Cos when one has such experience, it gives that person a new balance in viewing the things of God. Knowledge of God are in various ways and one of them is the experiential one which includes u participating in the picture; whether by seeing or hearing or feeling. . but we bear in mind Rom 8;14 and not people's experiences. In as much as I regard people's encounter, my perception of the Holy Spirit in/through His word is still esteemd highest.

Nonetheless, we read of the various passions of the Holy Spirit in a number of verses. He can be grieved (Eph. 4:30); lied to (Acts 5:3-5); and bears/helps with our infirmities (Rom. 8:26). But nowhere does Scripture give us the picture of Him weeping.

There's no where in the Bible that could be quoted from that he wept but in Rom 8:26-27, The type of Prayer involved here is not just a person's but two involved, we and the Holy Spirit. He's present and could be said participating in our groaning as we pray and he intercedes for us.

Romans 8:26 (King James Version)
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Romans 8:26 (Amplified Bible)
So too the [Holy] Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance.

Romans 8:26-28 (The Message)
Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.

From this different Versions, it is evident that we and the Holy spirit are involved in this groaning/wordless sighs. This type of prayer is deep and cannot be explained fully enough. It's a point where we are in him praying and he is in us praying too but this time with one voice, with the Holy Spirit bringing out our earnest need to God. . But a question that pops out is, where do we draw a line between groaning and weeping? are this words synonymous? @ shahan and donnie please help me out. . I nor sabi english well.  But i know in groaning, shedding of tears is possible as in weeping.

The angel of His presence is rather the Lord Jesus Christ in His pre-incarnate ministry. You can read the following verses for cross-reference and verification: Exodus 23:20; 32:34; 33:2; and Num. 20:16.

the references u gave goes ahead to explain what Donnie says as per the holy spirit being the Angel of His presence rather than the pre-incarnate ministry of Christ Jesus.

Isaiah 63:8-10 (King James Version)
For he said, Surely they are my people, children that will not lie: so he was their Saviour.

9In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old.

10But they rebelled, and vexed his holy Spirit: therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them.

Isaiah 63:9-10 (The Message)
He said, "Without question these are my people,
   children who would never betray me."
So he became their Savior.
   In all their troubles,
   he was troubled, too.
He didn't send someone else to help them.
   He did it himself, in person.
Out of his own love and pity
   he redeemed them.
He rescued them and carried them along
   for a long, long time.
10But they turned on him;
   they grieved his Holy Spirit.
So he turned on them,
   became their enemy and fought them.

verse 10 shows us who this angel is; the Holy Spirit. And your other reference talks about this same angel that God gave to his people to lead them.

He is still that angel today. An angel means a messenger. He is the messenger of the presence of God. Stephen saw the Lord Jesus in a vision-Acts 7:56. Jesus is in heaven but the holy Ghost is the one here carrying God's presence from place to place. John 15:26 says he proceeds from the Father. He is the one that comes out from God to represent God where ever His name is mentioned in Faith, wherever God's people are gathered; church, home, conferences etc. And the most exciting of all -he appears in different places at the same time doing different works. He is here in/with me, he is there in/with u and where all God's people at right now and never diminishes i.e Thru his ministry, we experience the omnipresent power of God. This is the angel of his presence.
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by Backslider(m): 10:15am On Mar 12, 2007
hmmmmmmmm
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by shahan(f): 1:40pm On Mar 12, 2007
@lysaa,

Your input has blessed, humbled and refreshed me - no kidding. May God blessed and fill you more.

Now let me offer a few pointers:

lysaa:

That's true, but I respect people's experiences. Cos when one has such experience, it gives that person a new balance in viewing the things of God. Knowledge of God are in various ways and one of them is the experiential one which includes u participating in the picture; whether by seeing or hearing or feeling. . but we bear in mind Rom 8;14 and not people's experiences. In as much as I regard people's encounter, my perception of the Holy Spirit in/through His word is still esteemd highest.

Apt.

lysaa:

There's no where in the Bible that could be quoted from that he wept but in Rom 8:26-27, The type of Prayer involved here is not just a person's but two involved, we and the Holy Spirit. He's present and could be said participating in our groaning as we pray and he intercedes for us.

Romans 8:26 (King James Version)
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Romans 8:26 (Amplified Bible)
So too the [Holy] Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance.

Romans 8:26-28 (The Message)
Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.

From this different Versions, it is evident that we and the Holy spirit are involved in this groaning/wordless sighs. This type of prayer is deep and cannot be explained fully enough. It's a point where we are in him praying and he is in us praying too but this time with one voice, with the Holy Spirit bringing out our earnest need to God. . But a question that pops out is, where do we draw a line between groaning and weeping? are this words synonymous? @ shahan and donnie please help me out. . I nor sabi english well.  But i know in groaning, shedding of tears is possible as in weeping.

I appreciate the understanding that a verse may not be readily offered for the idea of the weeping; and there are so many things that we believe which we may not evidently provide verses for to the point. However, I had hoped that donnie might have been able to offer some for his persuasion - which didn't happen.

In anycase, it seems rather obvious that the Holy Spirit's groaning does not translate into weeping with tears. There seems to be a very marked contrast between the two in Scripture (although you are not far wrong that in some other instances we may both groan and weep). An incident in John 11 might be of much help here -

"33When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, He groaned in the spirit, and was troubled, 34And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto Him, Lord, come and see. 35Jesus wept. 36Then said the Jews, Behold how He loved him! 37And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died? 38Jesus therefore again groaning in Himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it."

When we carefully follow the narrative sequence, we find that while Mary and the Jews were "WEEPING", Jesus "GROANED" in the Spirit (vs. 33). The distinction is brought out in vs. 35 where Jesus "WEPT"; and then later on in vs. 38 Jesus GROANED again (rather than WEEP again).

"Groaning" in the Spirit is not the same thing as "weeping". Yes, I've wept in prayer a couple of times; but even then, I cannot take my own experience to be the same thing as the idea of the Spirit 'weeping'. I am still carefully studying the Word to see if there's any verse that might be remotely suggestive of a case of the Spirit Himself "weeping" - it's a hard case to establish, no doubt; but for all that, it appears Scripture does not teach that at all.

An akin word we often read of in Scripture is "CRY"; but we understand that it does not always involve tears as though one was "weeping". A few examples:

Matt. 3:3 - "For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight."

Matt. 9:27 - "And when Jesus departed thence, two blind men followed him, crying, and saying, Thou Son of David, have mercy on us."

Matt. 14:26 - "And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear."

Psa. 5:2 - "Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray."

Psa. 18:6 - "In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears."

As in the latter text of Psa. 18:6, 'crying' in connection with prayer has nothing to do with 'weeping'. Rather, it is an expression that conveys the sense of strong and passionate praying - which is no different from the idea expressed in Rom. 8:26 about 'groaning' in the Spirit during prayer.

lysaa:

the references u gave goes ahead to explain what Donnie says as per the holy spirit being the Angel of His presence rather than the pre-incarnate ministry of Christ Jesus.

Isaiah 63:8-10 (King James Version)
For he said, Surely they are my people, children that will not lie: so he was their Saviour.

9In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old.

10But they rebelled, and vexed his holy Spirit: therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them.

Isaiah 63:9-10 (The Message)
He said, "Without question these are my people,
  children who would never betray me."
So he became their Savior.
  In all their troubles,
  he was troubled, too.
He didn't send someone else to help them.
  He did it himself, in person.
Out of his own love and pity
  he redeemed them.
He rescued them and carried them along
  for a long, long time.
10But they turned on him;
  they grieved his Holy Spirit.
So he turned on them,
  became their enemy and fought them.

verse 10 shows us who this angel is; the Holy Spirit. And your other reference talks about this same angel that God gave to his people to lead them.

He is still that angel today. An angel means a messenger. He is the messenger of the presence of God.

It is hardly a balanced interpretation to suppose that the angel of the Lord's presence represents the Holy Spirit in Isa. 63:10. God's Spirit is never in Scripture spoken of as an "angel"; and the reference to the Holy Spirit in vs. 10 simply points out that the obstinacy of God's people grieves Him.

When you compare the texts I offered earlier, you will find that the same expression does not point to the Holy Spirit; but rather to the pre-incarnate Christ.

lysaa:

Stephen saw the Lord Jesus in a vision-Acts 7:56. Jesus is in heaven but the holy Ghost is the one here carrying God's presence from place to place. John 15:26 says he proceeds from the Father. He is the one that comes out from God to represent God where ever His name is mentioned in Faith, wherever God's people are gathered; church, home, conferences etc. And the most exciting of all -he appears in different places at the same time doing different works. He is here in/with me, he is there in/with u and where all God's people at right now and never diminishes i.e Thru his ministry, we experience the omnipresent power of God. This is the angel of his presence.

Like I said just above, the word angel is never used in reference to the Holy Spirit. It is simply human interpretation that draws this inference.

Regards. cheesy
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by Backslider(m): 3:19pm On Mar 12, 2007
@Shahan

I will not call you a heretic here but I guess you have erred a little.

God's Spirit is never in Scripture spoken of as an "angel"; and the reference to the Holy Spirit in vs. 10 simply points out that the obstinacy of God's people grieves Him.

shahan:

God's Spirit is never in Scripture spoken of as an "angel"; and the reference to the Holy Spirit in vs. 10 simply points out that the obstinacy of God's people grieves Him.

Now Look at

Genesis 18

1And the[b] LORD appeared[/b] unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;

2And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, thr[b]ee men stood by him[/b]: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,

3And said, My LORD, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant:

4Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:

5And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.

6And Abraham hastened into the tent unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes upon the hearth.

7And Abraham ran unto the herd, and fetcht a calf tender and good, and gave it unto a young man; and he hasted to dress it.

8And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat.

9And they said unto him, Where is Sarah thy wife? And he said, Behold, in the tent.

10And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him.

11Now Abraham and Sarah were old and well stricken in age; and it ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women.

12Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?

13And the LORD said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old?

14Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.

15Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not; for she was afraid. And he said, Nay; but thou didst laugh.

16And the men rose up from thence, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to bring them on the way.

17And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;

18Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?

19For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

20[b]And the LORD said,[/b] Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;

21I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

22And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD.

23And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?

24Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein?
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by shahan(f): 3:29pm On Mar 12, 2007
@Backslider,

Backslider:

@Shahan

I will not call you a heretic here but I guess you have erred a little.

Thank you for being that gracious. However, it appears you haven't helped clarify where I erred a little.
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by Backslider(m): 4:11pm On Mar 12, 2007
@SHAHAN

I THOUGHT YOU KNEW THAT THERE THREE ANGEL THAT CAME TO ABRAHAM. AND ONE AMONG THEM IS THE LORD.

IF YOU HAVE THE HEBREW TEXT OR YOU LISTEN TO THE HEBREW BIBLE YOU WILL SEE WHAT I AM SAYING

THE LORD HAS APPEARED IN ANGELIC FORM. THERE WERE THREE MEN 2 WENT TO S&G ONE REMAINED TALKING TO ABRAHAM.

IF YOU ALSO READ REVELATION. YOU READ THERE IS AN ANGEL PUT HIS FEET ON THE LAND, SEA AND SWORE.

WE ARE SUPPOSED TO JUDGE ANGELS ACCORDING TO BROTHER PAUL.

SO GOD CAN COME IN ANY FORM HE CHOOSES THIS IS BECAUSE OF HIS LOVE FOR MAN.

HUMILITY IS A GREAT ATTRIBUTE OF GOD WE SHARE THIS WITH GOD WHEN WE ARE REGENERATE.

FROM THE MOST PURE HOLY GOD SELAH
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by shahan(f): 7:01pm On Mar 12, 2007
@Backslider,

Okay, thanks for pointing that out - but it still it hasn't brought out distinctly where in that chapter in Genesis 18 the Holy Spirit is seen as "the angel of the LORD's presence".

In the verses highlighted, the LORD is said to have appeared to Abraham and spoken to him (verses 1 & 20). Notice that it was the LORD Himself, and not an angel who appeared to the patriarch. However, just who was it that "appeared" to Abraham??

We are told in the previous chapter 17 that, "the LORD appeared to Abram" (vs. 1); and also that, "God went up from Abraham" (vs. 22). This has been the very same language maintained through Biblical history until Stephen in the NT said: "The God of glory appeared unto our father Abraham" (Acts 7:2).

Reading all this in line with Exodus 6:2-3 might help put this in perspective:

"And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD: And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them."

So, you see that the One who appeared to Abraham in Genesis 18 is the LORD in His pre-incarnate ministry; and not the Holy Spirit.

Now in respect of the other two "men" along with the LORD who appeared unto Abraham (vs. 2), some believe them to be representing the Son of God and the Holy Spirit. But notice what was said of them:

"And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD" (ch. 18:22).

"And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground" (ch. 19:1).

"And the men said unto Lot, Hast thou here any besides? son in law, and thy sons, and thy daughters, and whatsoever thou hast in the city, bring them out of this place: For we will destroy this place, because the cry of them is waxen great before the face of the LORD; and the LORD hath sent us to destroy it." (ch. 19:12-13).

I do not necessarily subscribe to the views of some who feel that these two "men" or "angels" are the Son and the Spirit. According to Gen. 19:13, they confessed that "the LORD" had sent them to destroy the place. The angels appeared in the form of "men"; but they are not to be mistaken for the Son and the Spirit. More so to the point is that there cannot be more than one LORD (or Jehovah - Deut. 6:4): and in no verse were the "angels" in Genesis 18 & 19 referred to as "God" or "the LORD."

It seems obvious that the term "angel of the LORD" (or, "angel of God"/"angel of the LORD's presence"wink would be pointing to none other than to Christ who as God was presented in His pre-incarnate ministry. It is clear from Exo. 3:2-6 that "the angel of the LORD" is Himself the very God worshipped by the Jews. He also was the same "angel" who followed the Israelites through their journeys in the wilderness (compare Exo. 13:21 and 14:19). It is until we turn to the NT and read I Cor. 10:4 before we can grasp this:

"And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ."

The spiritual Rock was not some massive stone rock following them; for the sense that the apostle presents is that same which any Jewish reader was familiar with, such as in Psalm 18:2 & 31 ~~ "The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. . . For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God? "

Psa. 62:2 & 6 - "He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved."

If there's anyone called "the angel of the LORD", He is none other than the Lord Jesus Christ Himself in His pre-incarnate ministry.
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by Backslider(m): 7:30pm On Mar 12, 2007
REV 20

1And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.

2And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

please read this

I will give you another one just hold on
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by Backslider(m): 7:40pm On Mar 12, 2007
I Normally use this Scripture when I am debating JW

Now Read With Understanding

Revelation 10

1And I saw another mighty angel come down from heaven, clothed with a cloud: and a rainbow was upon his head, and his face was as it were the sun, and his feet as pillars of fire:

2And he had in his hand a little book open: and he set his right foot upon the sea, and his left foot on the earth,

3And cried with a loud voice, as when a lion roareth: and when he had cried, seven thunders uttered their voices.

4And when the seven thunders had uttered their voices, I was about to write: and I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Seal up those things which the seven thunders uttered, and write them not.

5And the angel [/b]which [b]I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven,

6And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer:
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by Backslider(m): 7:44pm On Mar 12, 2007
I will do less Expeounding the Scripture will interprete for itself

2 Kings 19:15
And Hezekiah prayed before the LORD, and said, O LORD God of Israel, which dwellest between the cherubims, thou art the God, even thou alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; thou hast made heaven and earth.
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by Backslider(m): 8:11pm On Mar 12, 2007
@ Shahan

We Worship a great God and no one can claim to know him completely. I sometimes like the way you do your academic summaries of post I think you should be doing that to the Bible also, it will help your understanding.

Some of the things I know In more than one decade and half I have started digging the bible I cannot put down on words I have learnt this By the Spirit of Truth and words are too difficult to picture his power.

That is why he had to Inspire men to write the bible if not if he wrote a book with his hand we mey not understand.

Look at where it said Jacob I love Esau I hate. Apostle paul ask the Question can anyone question God? Who will Judge God.

In Other words we can not completely understand God by our analizes but the spirit of God. I used to be a very Good BK student but there is a Different when you pray and you open the word of God to God himself so that he can Share his heart.

Christianity is very Different. This is a Religion that the Deity WE SERVE LIVES IN US NO OTHER RELIGION HAS THIS.
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by lysaa(f): 10:37pm On Mar 12, 2007
@Shahan

thanks for ur input again, I'm the one humbled, 4 real. I just said to come and check the replies before i sleep and found urs which has raised some topics in my mind but i rather not start up a thread on it. One of them includes The Trinity. This has popped out from ur reference to Jesus. What do u think? Its hard to differentiate the persons of the Godhead for they are one and same but their mainifestations tells us who is in operation at different point in time. Tho i still believe that in Isaiah 63:10 referred to the Holy spirit. cos verse 10 modifies verse 9 in that context.

I really need to catch some sleep. TTYS.

Remain Blessed
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by shahan(f): 10:51pm On Mar 12, 2007
@lysaa,

Please enjoy your evening, and the Lord bless you. I'm still learning and growing, and indeed will not claim to have knowledge that I don't. That would especially apply to the fresh point your brought out about the Trinity - an interesting one, no doubt. There's a thread where I'd been trying to treat that subject, and Lord willing will continue sometime soon.

However, I think no one can improve on your erudite statement that:

lysaa:

Its hard to differentiate the persons of the Godhead for they are one and same but their mainifestations tells us who is in operation at different point in time.

Exactly to the point.

I would have to acknowledge your take on Isaiah 63:10 even though I'm strongly persuaded that the whole context is otherwise as you interpreted it, especially in light of comparing it with other texts.

Much grace. cheesy
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by shahan(f): 11:00pm On Mar 12, 2007
@Backslider,

Backslider:

I will give you another one just hold on

Thanks again for yours; and since you asked me to hold on, my replies could not have come any earlier.

Backslider:

We Worship a great God and no one can claim to know him completely. I sometimes like the way you do your academic summaries of post I think you should be doing that to the Bible also, it will help your understanding.

You're absolutely right about the highlighted line in yours; and we can only do our utmost to know Him as much as He reveals Himself by the Spirit.

Again, I could only do my best to deal with issues to the point - and that's why most of my inputs summarizes the gists of those I respond to. I'm not so sure if one can also summarize the Bible in that respect. . . but, Lol. . . I'm just being me.

Backslider:

Look at where it said Jacob I love Esau I hate. Apostle paul ask the Question can anyone question God? Who will Judge God.

Right, are we back to the issue of HATE and ANGRY? I believe there's a world of difference between the two; and therefore maintain the position earlier enunciated in my previous posts.

Backslider:

In Other words we can not completely understand God by our analizes but the spirit of God.

Agreed. Cheers.
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by mrpataki(m): 6:58pm On Mar 13, 2007
Wow this is beautiful, scripture with scriptures.

God bless you all. I will be back to add my own inputs soon.
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by shahan(f): 10:59pm On Mar 14, 2007
mrpataki:

Wow this is beautiful, scripture with scriptures.

God bless you all. I will be back to add my own inputs soon.

How bodi? Lol. cheesy

We go wait for your addition - would be really appreciated! Bless up.
Re: Re: Pentecostalism And Christianity by Horus(m): 2:46pm On Mar 28, 2007
Receiving The Holy Ghost
Pentecostalists claim that when the Holy Spirit comes to you, you speaking in tongues, or Glossolalia. Glossolalia comes from the Greek word Glossa and it literally means, "tongue."
They claim the "lord" is passing a message through them. I have no qualms with this, if the Holy Spirit is truly bestowed upon them. One may be blessed with the divine gift of speaking in tongues (languages). Yet, Pentecostalists don't speak in other tongues. Instead, they fall out on the floor and start babbling and muttering, while moaning and talking undecipherable mumbo-jumbo.

(1) (Reply)

The Morons Have Started Again / What You Need To Know About Hadith / Little Pastor Chris

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.