Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,328 members, 7,829,837 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Lake Chad Shrinks - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Lake Chad Shrinks (32573 Views)

Kangaroo Rescued From Freezing Lake in Australia (Pix, Video) / A 50,000-Year-Old Lake In India Turns Pink And Experts Don't Know Exactly Why / Heavy Storm Leaves A House Totally Encased In Ice On Lake Ontario, New Yor(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by fulaniHERDSman(m): 6:23pm On Mar 27, 2018
grin cheesy
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by Jeezuzpick(m): 6:23pm On Mar 27, 2018
Dannieln1:
D

Commentors Dan cast
Nairaland Dan turn to Gbag

May ur life never experience shrinking IJN

So why de quote, na?
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by alexaooo6(m): 6:24pm On Mar 27, 2018
FTC for d first time on nrland.beta tins go b happen fr my life.
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by Tellemall: 6:24pm On Mar 27, 2018
naijadriva:
FTC.

But seriously, global warming is evident. The goverments of Nigeria, Niger and Chad should come together to remedy the situation( like afforestation).

Isn't Nigeria exploring oil in the Chad basin?
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by segebase(m): 6:24pm On Mar 27, 2018
ty
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by Guestlander: 6:25pm On Mar 27, 2018
Lake Chad going the way of Aral sea. I hope the efforts to channel some rivers towards it is successful.
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by Nobody: 6:29pm On Mar 27, 2018
For those people that rather follow celebrity gist and BBN than read world news,cape Town is already suffering from water shortage,as in the borehole are totally getting dried up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by stankezzy: 6:29pm On Mar 27, 2018
buhari has finished this country , even water bodies are shrinking because of bad leadership and hunger

1 Like

Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by SapphirePRINCEX(f): 6:30pm On Mar 27, 2018
mr1759:
So the lake now have a soak away ���. This buhari govt
Hehehehehehe

1 Like

Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by ItsMeAboki(m): 6:34pm On Mar 27, 2018
naijadriva:
FTC.

But seriously, global warming is evident. The goverments of Nigeria, Niger and Chad should come together to remedy the situation( like afforestation).

Not just global warming but human activity as well; many of the tributaries feeding the Lake have been dammed up and the water used for irrigation and farming etc. in many of its neighbouring countries.
There was a novel idea a long time ago to address the problem by constructing a channel from River Congo (or something like that) to recharge the lake but the idea is yet to be actualised due to multiple layers of politics.

2 Likes

Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by Skepticus: 6:34pm On Mar 27, 2018
naijadriva:
FTC.

When haven't they come together?

The leaders of these countries are not serious about this issue only pay lip service to it.

Herdsmen moving down south to cause mayhem is one of its consequences.

Conferences after conferences, all ends on paper

1 Like

Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by sinaj(f): 6:35pm On Mar 27, 2018
xreal:
Too much borehole in Nigeria is the cause.
how pls
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by neonly: 6:37pm On Mar 27, 2018
eleojo23:
I don't know what to say but let us blame Buhari

Shabi
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by sinaj(f): 6:41pm On Mar 27, 2018
justscorchone:
For those people that rather follow celebrity gist and BBN than read world news,cape Town is already suffering from water shortage,as in the borehole are totally getting dried up
daz really scary.
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by ikorodureporta: 6:44pm On Mar 27, 2018
Is that the cause? When they'v tapped all the rivers that were recharging it, why wnt it shrink? They shld jst forget about it, cos its gone foreva. Its a good site for oil/ hydrocarbon exploration......chase out boko b4 they steal all the oil there....
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by naijanative: 6:50pm On Mar 27, 2018
xreal:

Lol. Olodo. Who teach you this one?
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by ceslide: 6:53pm On Mar 27, 2018
Geoengineering
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by xreal: 6:57pm On Mar 27, 2018
naijanative:

Lol. Olodo. Who teach you this one?

I just think am.

All the waters find their way into one borehole or the other. I fit count 100 borehole in my neighborhood alone.
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by gustav25: 7:01pm On Mar 27, 2018
xreal:
you have nothing tangible to say
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by Thegamingorca(m): 7:07pm On Mar 27, 2018
justscorchone:

Yeah the drought in the south is something to behold
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by naijanative: 7:09pm On Mar 27, 2018
xreal:

I just think am.

All the waters find their way into one borehole or the other. I fit count 100 borehole in my neighborhood alone.

I'm a geologist. Where do you live ? Probably in Lagos or Niger Delta? It doesn't work that way.
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by koolg: 7:18pm On Mar 27, 2018
Wow see image of 1963 in contrast to 2007!
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by uwajeh(m): 7:20pm On Mar 27, 2018
The largest freshwater reservoir in the world is Lake Baikal in Russia which contains roughly 20% of the world's freshwater. Stop spreading falsehood, it's disgusting.

1 Like

Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by Youngzedd(m): 7:20pm On Mar 27, 2018
Which lake is Buhari searching for oil again
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by treach(m): 7:33pm On Mar 27, 2018
People go chop na, we at ZAZIZI place we drill both industrial and commercial boreholes. So someone should help me tell FG abt us. Thank you..
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by Mcreloaded(m): 7:39pm On Mar 27, 2018
The river Nile though not a lake cuts across many countries like Ethiopia etc but I know for sure they regulate water used by the individual country so that it will not be over used and later dry up. The lake chad authorities should borrow a leaf from how the river Nile is manages.
Maybe it will also belp
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by BiafraIShere(m): 7:51pm On Mar 27, 2018
Going by the pictures, the lake should have completely disappeared by now. The North is being fvrked from all angles indeed. I shiver whenever I imagine what these region will be like in a decades time. Now, the problem is that they want to drag everyone else down the abyss with them. We must get Biafra ASAP kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by BiafraIShere(m): 8:05pm On Mar 27, 2018
xreal:

I just think am.

Lol, my friend there is what is called water cycle. Trees and vegetation cover helps humidity to build up in the atmosphere which in turn converts to rain clouds but when there is a lack of it, too much evaporation without recharge leads to draught overtime. The rate of discharge in the lake is far greater than the rate of recharge. To make matters worse for the water body, it is a lake without a direct source of recharge except through ground water and rainfall, now groundwater has fallen drastic and rainfall as well. The only way to save the lake now will be to embark on a massive reforestation and also to divert/channel a river into it but there may not be a suitable river for that.
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by xreal: 8:18pm On Mar 27, 2018
BiafraIShere:
Lol, my friend there is what is called water cycle. Trees and vegetation cover helps humidity to build up in the atmosphere which in turn converts to rain clouds but when there is a lack of it, too much evaporation without recharge leads to draught overtime. The rate of discharge in the lake is far greater than the rate of recharge. To make matters worse for the water body, it is a lake without a direct source of recharge except through ground water and rainfall, now groundwater has fallen drastic and rainfall as well. The only way to save the lake now will be to embark on a massive reforestation and also to divert/channel a river into it but there may not be a suitable river for that.

Boss!

U be geography textbook.

Thanks for the information.
[img]https://media1./images/88d89612db5eaacc6c9c6ac6bf6cd6e7/tenor.gif?itemid=7715402[/img]

3 Likes

Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by MUYEEKFIRST(m): 8:21pm On Mar 27, 2018
eleojo23:
I don't know what to say but let us blame Buhari
comment of the week
Re: Lake Chad Shrinks by piagetskinner(m): 8:23pm On Mar 27, 2018
Muafrika2:
I'm suspecting that 10 years from the last photo, it is now officially gone cry

you may still be able to get one bucket of water

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet Alex, The New AI Robot Designed To Give Full Body Massage. (PHOTOS) / Sun Unleashes Intense Solar Flare Causing Radio Blackout In Asia, Australia(Pix) / See The Huge Snake I Killed In Our Village Farm This Afternoon. (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.