Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,364 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. (27515 Views)

Is Bonny Igbo Or Ijaw??? / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / Ibo, Hausa And Yoruba Are Not Indegenous Africans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Nobody: 10:40pm On Mar 27, 2018
Igbo, orginally, but many spell it as "Ibo".
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Chigold101(m): 10:43pm On Mar 27, 2018
TheNigerianMan:
Like seriously, I think we shouold decide if its Igbo or Ibo... Too much insult already
there is nothing to decide. We Igbo and we can't kill anybody that calls us IBO but it will be a taboo for Onye Igbo to call us ibo .

1 Like

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Nobody: 10:43pm On Mar 27, 2018
postmann:

What do you mean by the "illegitimate semi igbo speakers from the south south"?
not true sons of the land. Migration took place,either by marrige,business or war.

Anybody that refer to himself as IBO is not a true flesh of the Igbo nation
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 10:51pm On Mar 27, 2018
The authority on Ibo language, Chinua Achebe, used "Ibo" in all his books, so it's Ibo and if you don't like it, go and hang.

IBO - I Before Others.

iGBO - Forest, Marijuana,
.which is better ?
Ibo.

1 Like

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by postmann: 10:52pm On Mar 27, 2018
IjeleNwa:
not true sons of the land. Migration took place,either by marrige,business or war.

Anybody that refer to himself as IBO is not a true flesh of the Igbo nation

I'm still not clear with the explanation.

Not true sons of what land? South south or south east?
And what migration from where to where?

1 Like

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Awaja(m): 10:53pm On Mar 27, 2018
Igbo kwenu
Heeeeee
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Baroba(m): 10:54pm On Mar 27, 2018
hilroy:
I think many non-indigenous people with no "gb" sound in their language are the ones that call it Ibo. Many words are mispronounced by british across africa because of their inability to pronounce some african sounds

Yup, same as Enugu, which has no meaning in Igbo, it's supposed to be Enugwu; I just wish someone will be brave to change it to Enugwu..

1 Like

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Nobody: 10:57pm On Mar 27, 2018
postmann:

I'm still not clear with the explanation.

Not true sons of what land? South south or south east?
And what migration from where to where?
the igbos in south east have no other ethnic groups,igbo is only.
But south south has other ethnic groups nd Ibo re minor there.....they have similar cultures like igbos but not to loud,igbo language was adopted there bcus of migration and other fctors
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Nobody: 11:11pm On Mar 27, 2018
Awaja:
Igbo kwenu
Heeeeee
how about ndigbo?
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Yunjeezy(m): 11:13pm On Mar 27, 2018
Igbotic
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by dheilaw1(m): 11:19pm On Mar 27, 2018
ibo simply mean 'I BEFORE ORDERS' that's why selfishness, robbery, fraud and rituals runs in their blood
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by uncleade(m): 11:23pm On Mar 27, 2018
Aldebaran:
grin

it is Igbo

And Igbo in YORUBA means FOREST, CANNABIS ,HEADBUTT AND ELECTION grin grin grin
ELECTION IN YORUBA LANGUAGE IS IBO, NOT IGBO.
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by FanYogo1(f): 11:28pm On Mar 27, 2018
Kimcutie:
Only God knows why you guys hate igbos so much and that hatred is only showing on the internet, if only I was seun, I would made it compulsory to upload users pictures and manually approve users. It's a shame really.

Cry me a river.

Igbo in Yoruba means weed and bush.
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by blazhykowskyi(m): 11:40pm On Mar 27, 2018
bumi10:

If you are asking that, what does Yoruba mean in Yoruba language?

Betrayers?

Igbo mean coward and snake in ibo language.

That's why you are not proud of using an ibo moniker.

It's Bunmi, not bumi osu.

1 Like

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by BerryAnny(m): 11:42pm On Mar 27, 2018
conductorl6:

Yoluba means coward or snake in my language.
Lame clapback!!! Try more next time dude!
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by donbenie(m): 11:55pm On Mar 27, 2018
GoroTango:
Igbo is the correct spelling in that language while Ibo is the spelling in English. I don't know why Igbos take offence when it is spelt as 'Ibo' when using it in the English language context
So you wouldn't take offence if someone misspells and mispronounced your name..
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Nobody: 11:56pm On Mar 27, 2018
donbenie:
So you wouldn't take offence if someone misspells and mispronounced your name..
Ibo means Igbo in English and we are speaking English aren't we?
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by donbenie(m): 11:58pm On Mar 27, 2018
Adoptson:
Ibo=people igbo=language ndi Ibo and asusu Igbo. exactly as we have in english and england.
Don't talk what you clearly know NOTHING about..
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by donbenie(m): 12:02am On Mar 28, 2018
GoroTango:
Ibo means Igbo in English and we are speaking English aren't we?
And you're pronouncing an indegenous name,so if you're speaking Yoruba or Hausa how then do you refer to the name..since you're no longer speaking English..
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by SmartPolician: 12:03am On Mar 28, 2018
degamemaster:
It will end any day you begin to have and sense and make use of it.

Now say after me, IGBO AMAKA!

Akpa amu! I'm even more Igbo than u are.

Ifere eme. How many times do u see Yoruba, Ijaw or Hausa in the news like Igbo?

Nwa furu efu!
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Nobody: 12:06am On Mar 28, 2018
donbenie:
And you're pronouncing an indegenous name,so if you're speaking Yoruba or Hausa how then do you refer to the name..since you're no longer speaking English..
I wouldn't know because I'm not a Yoruba speaker and I only speak English. So Igbo to me in English is simply Ibo
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by donbenie(m): 12:12am On Mar 28, 2018
GoroTango:
I wouldn't know because I'm not a Yoruba speaker and I only speak English. So Igbo to me in English is simply Ibo
Well,Igbos pronounce it Igbo since we are not English..
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Nobody: 12:14am On Mar 28, 2018
donbenie:
Well,Igbos pronounce it Igbo since we are not English..
That's OK so long as you're not speaking English
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by donbenie(m): 12:20am On Mar 28, 2018
GoroTango:
That's OK so long as you're not speaking English
I don't need an English man to tell me how to pronounce my own name,whether am speaking English or not, I've heard English football commentators mutilate African names, according to your reasoning I should follow too.. because that's the Anglicised version..
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by ofwest47(m): 12:28am On Mar 28, 2018
If you don't know it was Dr. Nnamdi Azikwe that renamed Igbo to be IBO (I BEFORE OTHERS)
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Psalm45(f): 12:46am On Mar 28, 2018
I did igbo language in secondary school. Then i was taught that the people frm eastern region are called 'ibos' while their language is called 'igbo'. Pls you all shld take note cos thats the difference b/w ibo and igbo

1 Like

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Heartbender: 1:24am On Mar 28, 2018
OP what do you mean by illegitimate semi igbo speakers of the south south? I refuse to believe your destiny has been used to wipe a herdsman's butt...be guided.

1 Like

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by aribisala0(m): 5:39am On Mar 28, 2018
bakaredc:
I asked a friend of mine for clarification on this sometimes ago, she said igbo is the people and ibo is the language...how true?

Some time ago

not sometimes ago.

Very annoying

Sometimes means occasionally
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by aribisala0(m): 5:41am On Mar 28, 2018
What does Igboo mean I thoght they said it means bush and th eIgbo people are the bush dwellers or bush people
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by fortune1968: 6:08am On Mar 28, 2018
KingsleyCEO:
Which one represents weed I mean Marijuana grin grin grin

ipob Igbo
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by postmann: 6:43am On Mar 28, 2018
IjeleNwa:
the igbos in south east have no other ethnic groups,igbo is only.
But south south has other ethnic groups nd Ibo re minor there.....they have similar cultures like igbos but not to loud,igbo language was adopted there bcus of migration and other fctors

Though your diction is barely comprehensible, i seem to get your point.

Firstly, you believe Igbo is used as a term to describe the Igbos or Ibos of the south east, while Ibo is used to describe according to you the "semi illegitimate igbo speakers" from the south south.

My friend, you're poorly read and you obviously failed your Nigeria people's and culture GST course, that is if you made it to tertiary education.

The white man has a problem with the sound "gb" . They'd rather pronounced the G and B independently in modern times , eg Drogba. Ibo is the anglicized form of Igbo. The former may stick more among south south Igbos due to having non non-igbo neighbours around them which conditioned their later generation to speak the English language more.

Having said that, calling the igbos of the south south "semi illegitimate igbo speakers " exposed you as a naive, ill-exposed ignoramus. You're a victim of political manipulation and a shameless newt who has no knowledge of the geographical stretch of the igbo boundaries. Neither are you abreast with her history.

You should know that Onitcha, Obosi, Oguta etc are of the same Igbo stock as Delta Igbos with a common history / ancestry. But in your myopia, the geopolitical boundaries created by the north to divide our people became the benchmark for your twisted analysis of "legitimate and semi illegitimate Igbos.

You're a disgrace to our collective political and cultural integration and awareness.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by bakaredc: 6:49am On Mar 28, 2018
aribisala0:

Some time ago

not sometimes ago.

Very annoying

Sometimes means occasionally
Tnx for the correction eventhough i dont know why u annoyed..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

History Of Ika People(umunede) / The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices / Ooni Of Ife & His Entourage At The Voice Of America Studios In Washington.Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.