Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,068 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. (27512 Views)

Is Bonny Igbo Or Ijaw??? / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / Ibo, Hausa And Yoruba Are Not Indegenous Africans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Cirochukade: 9:36pm On Mar 27, 2018
But Igbo na weed na !

2 Likes

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Chinagurum1995(m): 9:43pm On Mar 27, 2018
Yes ooo the answer is Igbo.

#proudlylgbo

#Ndigboforlife.�� cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Liftedhands(f): 9:45pm On Mar 27, 2018
IBO is the derogatory name called igbos by people who see them as selfish and greedy! Its an acronym of

I-
B-efore
O-thers.

1 Like

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by HeWrites(m): 9:48pm On Mar 27, 2018
prince3009:

Aren't you ashamed of yourself? You'll get banned now...just wait
cheesy
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Fatherofdragons: 9:48pm On Mar 27, 2018
flokii:

Not only Igbos..

Yorubas coined the names of most tribes in Nigeria.
Civilization started in the West don't forget.
Yoruba coined the name igbo but could not name themselves instead were named oyo oba to Yoruba by their masters up north OK ooooo am feeling ur lie . WICKED THINGS.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by satysaca: 9:50pm On Mar 27, 2018
we are Ibos we speak Igbo. our language is Igbo . but we are Ibos please take note

2 Likes

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Corrinthians(m): 9:51pm On Mar 27, 2018
Heeeeebow Hamaka. grin

3 Likes

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by meccuno: 9:53pm On Mar 27, 2018
conductorl6:

Yoluba means coward or snake in my language.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Kimcutie: 9:53pm On Mar 27, 2018
HeWrites:
Yeye Igbos

Igbo - Weed

Shut up.

1 Like

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Dennismaria(m): 9:54pm On Mar 27, 2018
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by degamemaster(m): 9:55pm On Mar 27, 2018
SmartPolician:
Every day Igbo is in the news. When will this madness end?!
It will end any day you begin to have and sense and make use of it.

Now say after me, IGBO AMAKA!

4 Likes

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by tiger28: 10:01pm On Mar 27, 2018
Not WASTING my time on folks that are STILL searching for their root in 2018??in Europe for that matter?? Shame on Africa!

1 Like

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Kimcutie: 10:06pm On Mar 27, 2018
FanYogo1:
Ibo - men of African tribe that wear that women's wrappers

Igbo- weed
Only God knows why you guys hate igbos so much and that hatred is only showing on the internet, if only I was seun, I would made it compulsory to upload users pictures and manually approve users. It's a shame really.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by HeWrites(m): 10:08pm On Mar 27, 2018
Kimcutie:
Shut up.
OK.
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by deji17: 10:09pm On Mar 27, 2018
Fatherofdragons:
Yoruba coined the name igbo but could not name themselves instead were named oyo oba to Yoruba by their masters up north OK ooooo am feeling ur lie . WICKED THINGS.

Yoruba named themselves Oyo Oba - Yoruba. Both words are Yoruba words with Yoruba meaning, so how could someone else name them?

3 Likes

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by ZhyonKross(m): 10:11pm On Mar 27, 2018
Igbo is the people, me and you while Ibo is the spoken language
IjeleNwa:
It is "igbo" originally but how ever "Ibo" is the anglicized version using the English vocabulary,and this mispronouncement was done by the illegitimate semi igbo speakers from the South-souths and non speakers from other regions.

How the both pronounciations are accepted though partially but one still remains officially and formally which is "igbo"

Pls any contrary opinions should state below......

1 Like

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Kimcutie: 10:12pm On Mar 27, 2018
HeWrites:

OK.
You call yourself a blogger yet you're posting derogatory comments against another tribe because you're faceless here, if I check well, I will find out you're from Yoruba, why are you guys like this? I blame Seun for this rascality.

1 Like

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by lozanni(m): 10:12pm On Mar 27, 2018
flokii:

Actually Yorubas coined that name "igbo".. The igbos at that time didn't know how to read and write.

I'm happy they prefer the Yoruba coined "igbo" to the colonial masters "ibo"

undecided Too much Oshogbo weed, I suppose.

1 Like

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by haslaw(m): 10:13pm On Mar 27, 2018
Ibo = OSU cannibals.
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Iceman2017(m): 10:13pm On Mar 27, 2018
bakaredc:
I asked a friend of mine for clarification on this sometimes ago, she said igbo is the people and ibo is the language...how true?
Very wrong my dear... There is nothing like ibo.
We don't have (b) as an alphabet. We have (gb) .
So many that was born outside Igbo land can misconstruct some certain things.
Igbo is the tribe and we speak Igbo...
Youruba is a tribe and they speak Yoruba..
Efik is a tribe and they speak efik. etc
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Iceman2017(m): 10:16pm On Mar 27, 2018
ZhyonKross:
Igbo is the people, me and you while Ibo is the spoken language
Who taught you that one dear.
Then Yoruba as a tribe speak what?
Igbo is a tribe and they speak Igbo language

1 Like

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by HeWrites(m): 10:16pm On Mar 27, 2018
Kimcutie:
You call yourself a blogger yet you're posting derogatory comments against another tribe because you're faceless here, if I check well, I will find out you're from Yoruba, why are you guys like this? I blame Seun for this rascality.

Bro, I'm not anyway abusing your tribe.

In Yoruba, Igbo is Weed if you can comprehend properly, you suppose know that I'm indirectly saying Ibo should be the correct word.

If you in anyway sees it as abusive, I'm sorry.
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by obailala(m): 10:16pm On Mar 27, 2018
IjeleNwa:
It is "igbo" originally but how ever "Ibo" is the anglicized version using the English vocabulary,and this mispronouncement was done by the illegitimate semi igbo speakers from the South-souths and non speakers from other regions.

How the both pronounciations are accepted though partially but one still remains officially and formally which is "igbo"

What do you mean by "illegitimate semi Igbo speakers"?
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Strikethem: 10:17pm On Mar 27, 2018
conductorl6:

Yoluba means coward or snake in my language.
We are not Yoluba but Yoruba, so yoluba can be coward or snake in your language, but that doesn't change the fact that igbo means bush, cannabis in Yoruba language. cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Iceman2017(m): 10:19pm On Mar 27, 2018
satysaca:
we are Ibos we speak Igbo. our language is Igbo . but we are Ibos please take note
Your grandfather's must be regretting in their grave that they begat a child like you... Its a pity
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Nobody: 10:20pm On Mar 27, 2018
bakaredc:
I asked a friend of mine for clarification on this sometimes ago, she said igbo is the people and ibo is the language...how true?
untrue like your friend
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Kimcutie: 10:21pm On Mar 27, 2018
HeWrites:

Bro, I'm not anyway abusing your tribe.

In Yoruba, Igbo is Weed if you can comprehend properly, you suppose know that I'm indirectly saying Ibo should be the correct word.

If you in anyway sees it as abusive, I'm sorry.
Alright. Am half Igbo, am from Rivers but I got an igbo lineage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 27, 2018
Fatherofdragons:
Pls stop writing rubbish
exactly
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by aribisala0(m): 10:25pm On Mar 27, 2018
Actually in Yoruba Igbo means woods as in forest or bush. Weed is just a slang bear in mind that weed is not even indigenous to Nigeria and was brought here in the last century
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Nobody: 10:26pm On Mar 27, 2018
Inspire01:
Why calling igbos in the South South illegitimate. So u mean igbos in Delta and rivers state are illegitimate
I did not technically. It seems you have issues with semantics.
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by Ugo4hotish(m): 10:32pm On Mar 27, 2018
LeSulk:
Ibo is the anglicized version. Just as name of places like Anambara, Owerre , Onicha etc go by their anglicized forms.
it's actually Omambala not Anambara
Re: Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. by postmann: 10:40pm On Mar 27, 2018
IjeleNwa:

What do you mean by the "illegitimate semi igbo speakers from the south south"?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

History Of Ika People(umunede) / The Misconception About Igbo Bride Prices / Ooni Of Ife & His Entourage At The Voice Of America Studios In Washington.Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.