Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,704 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? (15279 Views)

Should Abortion Be Legalised?? / I Took Abortion Drug, But Didn't Bleed, Am I Still Pregnant? / Doctor Sleeps With Married Lady During Abortion While Husband Waits Outside (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 8:11am On Mar 30, 2018
Doctormarrvin:
I guess I got all sentimental last night,i'll admit. I understand now that some people don't have choices and there are some scenarios that may even warrant an abortion because I did my research last night. Thanks for keeping this argument insults free. smiley
Good I just didn't want to view it from a religious angle smiley.Hippolyta doesn't argue with insults I prefer constructive criticisms or arguments grin You are welcome have a nice day wink.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 8:14am On Mar 30, 2018
Yes, it should be legalised. Like others have said, what about pregnant women in distress? Or ladies that have been raped? Or women that are mentally imbalanced (thereby preventing genetic transfer)?

Yes, people tend to abuse abortion. However, that doesn't negate the other reasons why it should be legalised. Not legalising it exposes females who need it to quacks and further endangers lives. Although, there should be some form of regulation to prevent abuse.

2 Likes

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by biggieoflife: 8:38am On Mar 30, 2018
funmisticqueen:
in that case, all deworming medicines should be illegal. There are many similarities between a tapeworm and a fetus. They both depend on the host to survive by living in the host. They can both affect the health of the host or in this case the mother.
A fetus is just a modified parasite that has a shorter tenacy agreement with the mother. What makes it different is that it has the tendency to either be a blessing or menace to society.

Hmmm.

A tapeworm or any other parasite is usually in an heterospecific relationship with the host. A foetus is of the same species with its host. There is a dependent relationship, but not a parasitic relationship.

You also have to consider the fact that parasites come from an outer source and once they invade the definitive host, they will usually remain with the host for life as long as the host survives. A foetus doesn’t meet this definition.

Anyway, even if your point is to say the foetus isn’t really a parasite but it behaves like one, then consider this. Let’s agree that the foetus is an endoparasite that should be flushed out like tapeworms. That would also mean babies are ectoparasites. They depend on the mother and stick to her like glue. They depend on her mamary glands for feeding. They can be annoying, they cry for everything they need, they can drive their host crazy or drive them to depression grin

Does that mean babies should be terminated like other parasites? Like a tick?
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by cocolacec(m): 8:40am On Mar 30, 2018
bhlesingglory:
Good pm Nairalanders,
My friends and I were in an argument about the issue of abortion. Some were of the opinion that it should be legalized while some were against it.
Personally, I think we all should look beyond the religious views on this and so be factual about it. In Nigeria, abortion is illegal but it hasn't stopped ladies from getting their pregnancy aborted, that so, from quacks. This,most times leads to several complications and even death.

So Nairalanders, i want to know your takes on this issue.

The Silent Scream Complete Version - Abortion as Infanticide
Dr. Bernard Nathanson's classic video that shocked the world. He explains the procedure of a suction abortion, followed by an actual first trimester abortion as seen through ultrasound. The viewer can see the child's pathetic attempts to escape the suction curette as her heart rate doubles, and a "silent scream" as her body is torn apart. A great tool to help people see why abortion is murder. The most important video on abortion ever made. This video changed opinion on abortion to many people.

Introduction by Dr. Bernard Nathanson, host. Describes the technology of ultrasound and how, for the first time ever, we can actually see inside the womb. Dr. Nathanson further describes the ultrasound technique and shows examples of babies in the womb. Three-dimensional depiction of the developing fetus, from 4 weeks through 28 weeks. Display and usage of the abortionists' tools, plus video of an abortionist performing a suction abortion. Dr. Nathanson discusses the abortionist who agreed to allow this abortion to be filmed with ultrasound. The abortionist was quite skilled, having performed more than 10,000 abortions.

We discover that the resulting ultrasound of his abortion so appalled him that he never again performed another abortion. The clip begins with an ultrasound of the fetus (girl) who is about to be aborted. The girl is moving in the womb; displays a heartbeat of 140 per minute; and is at times sucking her thumb. As the abortionist's suction tip begins to invade the womb, the child rears and moves violently in an attempt to avoid the instrument.
Her mouth is visibly open in a "silent scream." The child's heart rate speeds up dramatically (to 200 beats per minute) as she senses aggression. She moves violently away in a pathetic attempt to escape the instrument. The abortionist's suction tip begins to rip the baby's limbs from its body, ultimately leaving only her head in the uterus (too large to be pulled from the uterus in one piece). The abortionist attempts to crush her head with his forceps, allowing it to be removed. In an effort to "dehumanize" the procedure, the abortionist and anesthesiologist refer to the baby's head as "number 1." The abortionist crushes "number 1" with the forceps and removes it from the uterus.

Abortion statistics are revealed, as well as who benefits from the enormously lucrative industry that has developed. Clinics are now franchised, and there is ample evidence that many are controlled by organized crime. Women are victims, too. They haven't been told about the true nature of the unborn child or the facts about abortion procedures. Their wombs have been perforated, infected, destroyed, and sterilized. All as a result of an operation about which they they have had no true knowledge.

Films like this must be made part of "informed consent." NARAL (National Abortion Rights Action League) and Planned Parenthood are accused of a conspiracy of silence, of keeping women in the dark about the reality of abortion. Finally, Dr. Nathanson discusses his credentials. He is a former abortionist, having been the director of the largest clinic in the Western world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?debug_prerolls=false&sts=17616&utcoffset=120&v=gON-8PP6zgQ&has_verified=1&layout=mobile&client=mv-google
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:42am On Mar 30, 2018
bhlesingglory:
Good pm Nairalanders,
My friends and I were in an argument about the issue of abortion. Some were of the opinion that it should be legalized while some were against it.
Personally, I think we all should look beyond the religious views on this and so be factual about it. In Nigeria, abortion is illegal but it hasn't stopped ladies from getting their pregnancy aborted, that so, from quacks. This,most times leads to several complications and even death.

Abortion should be expressly made legal for rape n inciest victims amd also to save a mother.

If decades pass by and people still continue abortions in very high numbers , Then it should be fully legalised with parental consent
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Dheartless: 8:46am On Mar 30, 2018
Hahnemann:

U are completely out of your mind here, I'm going to report this your comment to the appropriate authorities so you can face the full rot of the law.

grin
na wa for you o...all the whole politicians wey you see for Nigeria , you no fit find one to report so he or she faces the full rot of the law.

na me "Dheartless" on a faceless forum trying to help reduce baby mamas production you dey pursue.
na me produce the drugs?

You don't have conscience.

1 Like

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by BIXYBABE: 8:56am On Mar 30, 2018
The experience elders have spoken
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Lagusta(m): 9:03am On Mar 30, 2018
SnakeChopMoney:

Should murder and gay marriage be legalized in Nigeria ??

Drop that thing you've been smoking, your brain is already dead

You should be talking about how to develop and fix your country and not how to slaughter innocent babies that were brought into the world by 2 idiots who can't use a 20 naira condom or control their sexual urge

if shekau raped your sister, would you tell her to keep it
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by biggieoflife: 9:04am On Mar 30, 2018
1760:
Personally I think safe abortion should be legalized, we can call it murder or any thing you like, I feel many people copulate everyday so I think it's not wise to be against it.

Before anyone says no

Can they answer this question?

What plans or what should the government do for people who gives birth without proper planning?

Have you seen kids begging for food and causing nuisance on the street, they later become miscreant, tout, junkies etc.

How would you feel if robbed or killed because some people who have skewed upbringing? aborton should have saved us the stress

Many people make bad decisions everyday and there should be ways to control the errors made, if everyone has paid for the errors we have made in life I guess all of us will be in prison now, there should be ways we can rectify our errors. Even if someone gets pregnant before planned time.

Also for religious peeps, you're quick to shout murder, do you know how many times you've been aborted before you come through your parents ?

So why the emotional argument ?

Do you know how the world would have been if there is safe abortion, people that have cause untold hardship on the world would not have have those chances

Summery: I support save abortion,enough of these emotional talks

Ask people saying no, if they are born will you accommodate or feed the child/children ?

I am sure no one will help

YES, people should be allowed to correct their mistakes. But NO, that correction shouldn’t be in the form of terminating another life.

As for that analogy that an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy will lead to birthing a nuisance. The couple that caused the pregnancy, aren’t they a nuisance? Shouldn’t they be terminated too? grin
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by KhadyM(f): 9:15am On Mar 30, 2018
It should be legalised
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by 1760: 9:19am On Mar 30, 2018
biggieoflife:

YES, people should be allowed to correct their mistakes. But NO, that correction shouldn’t be in the form of terminating another life.

As for that analogy that an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy will lead to birthing a nuisance. The couple that caused the pregnancy, aren’t they a nuisance? Shouldn’t they be terminated too? grin

Can you authoritatively say that all your mistakes you have paid for?
If not then you don't have a right to judge the parents

Also,if the parents are messed up, and they aren't ready to accept responsibility for their actions, will the child pay for all the sins of the parents , living on the street,contacting disease, prone to abuse such as rape.

How do you fathom an individual committing a crime when you could have corrected their parents error by aborting them .

I don't want us to be emotional about this,it's about being factual and be realistic

People will always continue to have unprotected sex, that's 1000% sure

How do we correct their mistake. We have enough nuisance in the society
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:40am On Mar 30, 2018
It should be LEGALIZED in AFRICAN countries.
It will enable us get RID of the teaming eediots and leaders, Africa brings forth as children.

It's obvious CONDOMS can't do that alone...
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by KhadyM(f): 9:42am On Mar 30, 2018
Being pro-choice indirectly supports pro-life. If women are presented with options for when they get pregnant and they get to know both the advantages and disadvantages of keeping the child or aborting it, i think at the end of the day majority will make the right decision to keep their child. But if there are no options to terminate it, a woman will still find a way to terminate that pregnancy, and worst end up losing her own life. Hey unless you are God or the person who brought her into the world, people dont like to be dictated on what they can or cannot do with their bodies. So stop making laws about women's bodies!
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by KhadyM(f): 9:49am On Mar 30, 2018
Doctormarrvin:
I see your point. Not all the children will be terrorists or nuisances. I can imagine alot of exceptional geniuses have been aborted too. Kids who would have cured cancer or Aids or make alot of positive impacts on the world. I understand your stance though.

Except if the mother was forced to keep that pregnancy, she probably wouldnt do her best to raise that child well physically, emotionally and psychologically and that will produce a scarred child who might end up being a nuisance or terrorist. How children turn up depends on the environment within which they were raised. Happy and dedicated parents=awesome children smiley

1 Like

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by dnawah(m): 9:50am On Mar 30, 2018
bhlesingglory:
Good pm Nairalanders,

pls no go there o! it is every where na if they do people go begin kill they children in the name of abortion.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Thomanad(m): 10:06am On Mar 30, 2018
Yes it should be legalized......
1. Why force someone to give birth to a child he/she doesn't have plans for....When you see some really small kids suffering around you ehn,you will wish they were never born at least dey won't be suffering that way
2 People should be free to have sex anyway they want or like it....but shouldn't be forced to have a child that might later die or become a criminal without education, because of lack of food,good health,shelter and parent care
3 Ladies do abortions whether legal or not. What not legalizing it does is that these ladies go to quacks and end up losing their lifes or losing their wombs for life.
4 God gave us a choice as humans,if it is legalized today,those that won't abort won't abort,while those that wish will do..........Even legalizing gay marriage today won't make someone not interested become interested
And everyone has their lifes to live....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:14am On Mar 30, 2018
1Sharon:

You can't miss what you never had.
Can I know y better
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by biggieoflife: 11:23am On Mar 30, 2018
1760:

Can you authoritatively say that all your mistakes you have paid for?
If not then you don't have a right to judge the parents

Also,if the parents are messed up, and they aren't ready to accept responsibility for their actions, will the child pay for all the sins of the parents , living on the street,contacting disease, prone to abuse such as rape.

How do you fathom an individual committing a crime when you could have corrected their parents error by aborting them .

I don't want us to be emotional about this,it's about being factual and be realistic

People will always continue to have unprotected sex, that's 1000% sure

How do we correct their mistake. We have enough nuisance in the society

You keep using the word ‘mistake’. Ok. People will always have unprotected sex. 1000% sure. Good
When the sex leads to pregnancy, you call it a mistake and tag the baby a nuisance. But have you ever considered that the couples are the real mistake. Aren’t these the same people that spread HIV and other deadly STIs and STDs? Aren’t they a threat to mankind? Aren’t they the real nuisance? Shouldn’t they be terminated? Aborted?

Why presume that the baby will grow up to be a nuisance when the real nuisance is staring you in the face?

By the way, your assumption that people commit crimes because of their upbringing is a fallacy of hasty generalization. Osama Bin Ladin grew up in an affluent home. Adolf Hitler grew up with both parents, surrounded by his siblings. Both men grew up to become stone cold killers. Mention one of the politicians currently bleeding Nigeria dry and I will give you there bio showing how they grew in normal households with both parents together.

I am waiting....
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Doctormarrvin: 12:25pm On Mar 30, 2018
KhadyM:

Except if the mother was forced to keep that pregnancy, she probably wouldnt do her best to raise that child well physically, emotionally and psychologically and that will produce a scarred child who might end up being a nuisance or terrorist. How children turn up depends on the environment within which they were raised. Happy and dedicated parents=awesome children smiley
couldn't agree more. There was a case of an infant abandoned by the road side,the infant was crushed to death by a vehicle.In cases like that I'lld have preferred the child was aborted instead of being crushed by the tires of a car. Abortion while the embryo hasn't fully formed is way better than dumping babies in toilets,pit latrines and by the road side. I'm still an advocate of condoms,birth control,vasectomy and the likes though.

1 Like

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by oganoble(m): 2:19pm On Mar 30, 2018
1. In countries where abortion is legal, the prevalence is actually far lower than where it’s illegal and there are fewer morbidities and mortalities
2. If you have no means of raising a child, don’t have them. From statistics, the number that cause harm to society is more than those that influence the society positively. Besides, what’s the point of having a child that will be killed at age 25 for armed robbery
3. If you have a 13 year old daughter in junior secondary school, very fine and promising, who gets raped by 3 idiots, she didn’t tell you until you realized she’s pregnant. And then you find out she’s raped. Now considering her immature pelvis, she will most likely have a C/s and pregnancy complications are more likely to occur. Will you allow her go ahead with the pregnancy knowing how it came about, the risks involved and the psychological and social effects on your daughter?
4. You are pregnant with a baby with a bad congenital defect that will make quality of life very poor for it and it may eventually die at a young age after you have suffered and stressed so much, if you had the option of an abortion, will you consider it?
5. You have 4 children, all sicklers. Some of us here know the stress of what having one sickler is. Now you have 4 and your wife is pregnant again. You go for a prenatal testing and this one is found to be a sickler too. What will you do.
I can paint a lot of scenarios. Those shouting No No, should think again. We are just too much of hypocrites. Don’t judge anyone.

2 Likes

Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by 1760: 2:36pm On Mar 30, 2018
biggieoflife:

You keep using the word ‘mistake’. Ok. People will always have unprotected sex. 1000% sure. Good
When the sex leads to pregnancy, you call it a mistake and tag the baby a nuisance. But have you ever considered that the couples are the real mistake. Aren’t these the same people that spread HIV and other deadly STIs and STDs? Aren’t they a threat to mankind? Aren’t they the real nuisance? Shouldn’t they be terminated? Aborted?

Why presume that the baby will grow up to be a nuisance when the real nuisance is staring you in the face?

By the way, your assumption that people commit crimes because of their upbringing is a fallacy of hasty generalization. Osama Bin Ladin grew up in an affluent home. Adolf Hitler grew up with both parents, surrounded by his siblings. Both men grew up to become stone cold killers. Mention one of the politicians currently bleeding Nigeria dry and I will give you there bio showing how they grew in normal households with both parents together.

I am waiting....

There are various nuisance but nuisance should be limited if and when possible, abortion is avoidable why can't we limit the spread

I'm focusing on abortion not single parenthood, I just want parent to be prepared before giving birth and not bring kids to suffer for parents stupidity

Let me restate my point

Poor people// or rather unprepared people don't do well when they give birth unprepared

It's best to have process in place before parents get pregnant.

Look at people under various bridges in Lagos you'll see that beggars and touts are mostly from the result of unwanted pregnancy.

I'll suggest that safe abortion for all.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Mar 30, 2018
Tell me you have aborting and you almost died in the hands of a quack!? if they had aborted you will you be here today?
Anybody that finds careless sex interesting should be interested in having a baby period!!!
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by bhlesingglory(m): 6:24pm On Mar 30, 2018
Venerable612:
It depends.

Laws are enacted for variety of purposes; two of which is to curb or encourage a state of affair.

If you curb abortion - it discourages people from doing it, for fear of being caught. They intuitively avoid getting pregnant since they know their only option for aborting is through a quack, which may result in death.

If you encourage abortion by enacting law - then intuitively people won’t mind having unsafe sex. They know they will be able to abort legally and safe anyway. Thus, higher abortion rates.... with the inevitable option that aborting females will still die anyway.

So curbing may well be the better of the two evils.

Abortion done by a professional is 95% safe.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by bhlesingglory(m): 6:25pm On Mar 30, 2018
reminiscing:
Tell me you have aborting and you almost died in the hands of a quack!? if they had aborted you will you be here today?
Anybody that finds careless sex interesting should be interested in having a baby period!!!

Do you think that is the only reason why abortion is been considered by many??
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Mar 30, 2018
biggieoflife:

Hmmm.

A tapeworm or any other parasite is usually in an heterospecific relationship with the host. A foetus is of the same species with its host. There is a dependent relationship, but not a parasitic relationship.

You also have to consider the fact that parasites come from an outer source and once they invade the definitive host, they will usually remain with the host for life as long as the host survives. A foetus doesn’t meet this definition.

Anyway, even if your point is to say the foetus isn’t really a parasite but it behaves like one, then consider this. Let’s agree that the foetus is an endoparasite that should be flushed out like tapeworms. That would also mean babies are ectoparasites. They depend on the mother and stick to her like glue. They depend on her mamary glands for feeding. They can be annoying, they cry for everything they need, they can drive their host crazy or drive them to depression grin

Does that mean babies should be terminated like other parasites? Like a tick?
Touché, i love your reply.
But my answer is no, because a baby, unlike a fetus does not cause the mother disease and a baby has a higher chance of surviving than a fetus.
Also although it is optimal to breastfeed, it is not the only option for nutrition for the baby, therefore the mother can choose not to breastfeed.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Octaves(m): 11:47pm On Mar 30, 2018
ibnchokomah:
You don't deal with life based on probabilities. Simbi should be the judge of that. Why didn't you address the other points raised? Secondly republicans are conservative hence the defund. It doesn't mean that it didn't work
I didn't see any other serious point. Simbi should be the judge of her own live not that of another person (the baby)
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by oluwayemisi1960: 11:48pm On Mar 30, 2018
Dead and buried.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by ibnchokomah(m): 11:56pm On Mar 30, 2018
Octaves:
I didn't see any other serious point. Simbi should be the judge of her own live not that of another person (the baby)
Wow you really must be a smart fella. The part of the mother's health at stake or the zika case study ain't serious? I'm done with you sir.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Octaves(m): 11:59pm On Mar 30, 2018
ibnchokomah:
Wow you really must be a smart fella. The part of the mother's health at stake or the zika case study ain't serious? I'm done with you sir.
you better be done with me. you must really have bad eyes because I made mention of women who faced life threatening complications in my first response
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Venerable612(m): 2:15pm On Mar 31, 2018
bhlesingglory:

Abortion done by a professional is 95% safe.

Does that not depend on the months?
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:51am On Apr 01, 2018
bhlesingglory:

Do you think that is the only reason why abortion is been considered by many??
So does abortion justify those reasons?
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalized In Nigeria? by Ayobami7(m): 2:24pm On May 23, 2018
No oo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do You Still Wear Face Masks? / Bayelsa Diagnostic Center At Imgbi, Yenogoa (Photos) / COVID-19 Patient Flees Bauchi Isolation Centre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.