Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,672 members, 7,823,898 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline (13820 Views)

Only $323.7m Left In Nigeria’s Excess Crude Account - FAAC / $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila / ‘Where Is The $65bn Obasanjo Left In Excess Crude Account?’ Amaechi Fires At GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by 9jaArea: 7:42am On Apr 02, 2018
omohayek:

If you were paying attention, you'd know that Fayemi already proposed that the damned white elephant be privatized, so that businessmen who know what they are doing get to call the shots. Then again, nothing in your statements suggests you have the first clue about anything related to either finance or steel-making; you just "know" through some unspecified means that this project must be a "good thing" which the state and federal governments are duty bound to support. The crooks in the NASS are counting precisely on ignorance like yours to get their looting scheme passed.
Baba will still return the bill to them.
Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by omohayek: 8:06am On Apr 02, 2018
martineverest:
u are totally incorrect my brother....I watched the plenary session concerning this ajaokuata last month,the guest speaker, Natasha hadiza akpoti,who I guessed is the spokeswoman of the original builder,made us know that the original Russian builders are still functioning and are also responsible for building and maintenance of the 5 largest steel plants in Asia....she also made us know how much abacha syphoned when trying to revive the steel plant.obasanjo did sign MoU with the original buildera,but he didn't fulfill it....the original builders still exist
You're so dazzled by the jabber of one woman that you refuse to engage whatever critical thinking skills you possess, or to do any research of your own to determine whether what she said was true? Here are just a few useful correctives for you to peruse if you want something more than one woman's deceptive chatter:

1. A secret US government cable released by Wikileaks - This was never meant to be seen by any Nigerians, or even by unauthorized Americans, so don't try to dismiss it by the usual Nigerian appeal to conspiracy theories.

2. A New York Times story dating all the way back to 1992 - The NYT is one of the most reputable and thorough newspapers on the planet, right up there with the Washington Post, The Economist and the Financial Times.

3. ADB/OECD Anti-Corruption Initiative for Asia and the Pacific Asset Recovery - Page 175 and 176 cover Ajaokuta and how the Abachas used it as a vehicle to steal hundreds of millions of Dollars.

4. Governance and Accountability Issues in Nigerian Parastatals: The Case of Ajaokuta Steel - a PhD thesis investigating the systemic issues plaguing Ajaokuta and every other Nigerian parastatal. Not a single business or parastatal run by the Nigerian government has ever consistently run a profit or maintained even a merely decent level of operation, but for some strange reason you and the other Ajaokuta cheerleaders expect this particular case to be different?

I could go on dumping links here at will, but I suspect you won't even read the ones I've provided, as you clearly prefer to believe fairy tales spun for you by a woman who is good at wrapping her own eagerness to steal public funds behind a facade of "patriotism" that Nigerians only ever really muster when the Super Eagles are playing.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by COMPAQ(m): 8:21am On Apr 02, 2018
SternProphet:

How old are you?
Where are you from?

I want to restrain myself as I type this. I know Nigerian youths are very annoying so I will be restrained and very elementary.

Nigeria = plenty of youths (demographically speaking)
Youths = need a future, jobs, get married to whom they love,
have kids
Ajaokuta = Steel plant. They call it a basic industry.

Ajaokuta Steel Plant = liquid Steel + 30 very useful products and
gases

Ajaokuta can produce raw materials for 30 other industries.

Ajaokuta can produce enough Steel to 100x the current Nigerian rail capacity.

Trump is protecting US Steel and Aluminium. I don't like Trump but he struggles not to be a fool. Here he may have succeeded.

Why should Nigeria be foolish and not complete Ajaokuta

When a young man comes on Nairaland to vomit timidly what global Steel makers and their agents want to do to make us dependent, it means generational curses are at work. You showing off stupidly.

The stupidest idea running on the Internet is suggesting that Nigeria cannot run a steel plant.

They are not insulting Buhari they are insulting young Nigerian Engineers.

Ethiopia and Egypt and S. Africa are running Steel plants.

It is even sad that some of our brothers from the S.East have joined the crowd...you know showing off over nothing.

If Ajaokuta was sited in Enugu , won't it have been running since 1979?.

Please I like you but please think deep about issues before jumping in. Don't be mentally timid, running with other people's ideas.

Ajaokuta is a challenge. Nigeria will run it and develop other basic industries, defence industries, foundries and more sophisticated stuff from it. We shall become an exporter .

It can run, WITH or WITHOUT government. Ethiopian and Egyptian plants are not privately owned.

The same way Nigerian engineers were able to successfully run Nepa, Nitel, Nigerian airways, Nigerian national shipping line, Nigerian coal company, refineries, Nigerian ports authority, Nigerian schools and universities abi??

4 Likes

Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by COMPAQ(m): 8:23am On Apr 02, 2018
billante:

Guy you are talking balderdash!

Anybody can do a research about a topic and get it's facts and come to any NASS open hearing and present for members to debate on....the Natasha woman or anybody does not need to be an expert in steel plants to know the basics truths.....its left for 300 representatives of the people to debate and know who is making sense and take resolutions, that is their jobs

Is it the scam the minister and some cabals want to perpetuate with the concessioning that should be allowed to go on?!

Just know that the NASS is dead serious this time around to get ajaokuta work...and they are all out for the excutivies on this.

When was Nass ever dead serious about anything concerning you and me?

3 Likes

Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by Akpuoru: 8:59am On Apr 02, 2018
FemiMaduka:
Life doesn't start and end on 'google search'; there's alot google doesn't tell. Anyway, this is from your much-loved google. You think I trust those crooks? If you read me well you wouldn't even find any mention of 'House of Reps' or whatever. I am only saying: let's get Ajaokuta running! You still haven't apologised for using expletives even without provocation.
Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by jpphilips(m): 11:07am On Apr 02, 2018
seunmsg:
To start with, the ECA is not really a legal account that lawmakers can start legislating on. Again, the funds in the ECA belongs to the federation and not the Federal government. Federal government by law can only spend from the consolidated revenue fund and not straight from an account that is at best illegal. What the national assembly is trying to do with this bill is nothing but sheer illegality.

The ECA is a special arrangement to save money for the rainy day. The national assembly should stop over reaching itself by trying to legislate away the savings of the country.

Oh! Preach, section 163 renders ECA illegal, it is only allowed to thrive on moral grounds, do they think the state governors wont give a fight?
Bloody political amateurs.
Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by jpphilips(m): 11:17am On Apr 02, 2018
Ham5ter:
Pls can someone go and watch Natasha Akpoti’s talk on the floor of the house and know why it’s important we get the steel industry up and running

Natasha Akpoti the Russian agent? What does she know about steel business?

2 Likes

Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by Flaghouse1: 12:43pm On Apr 02, 2018
omohayek:

You're so dazzled by the jabber of one woman that you refuse to engage whatever critical thinking skills you possess, or to do any research of your own to determine whether what she said was true? Here are just a few useful correctives for you to peruse if you want something more than one woman's deceptive chatter:

1. A secret US government cable released by Wikileaks - This was never meant to be seen by any Nigerians, or even by unauthorized Americans, so don't try to dismiss it by the usual Nigerian appeal to conspiracy theories.

2. A New York Times story dating all the way back to 1992 - The NYT is one of the most reputable and thorough newspapers on the planet, right up there with the Washington Post, The Economist and the Financial Times.

3. ADB/OECD Anti-Corruption Initiative for Asia and the Pacific Asset Recovery - Page 175 and 176 cover Ajaokuta and how the Abachas used it as a vehicle to steal hundreds of millions of Dollars.

4. Governance and Accountability Issues in Nigerian Parastatals: The Case of Ajaokuta Steel - a PhD thesis investigating the systemic issues plaguing Ajaokuta and every other Nigerian parastatal. Not a single business or parastatal run by the Nigerian government has ever consistently run a profit or maintained even a merely decent level of operation, but for some strange reason you and the other Ajaokuta cheerleaders expect this particular case to be different?

I could go on dumping links here at will, but I suspect you won't even read the ones I've provided, as you clearly prefer to believe fairy tales spun for you by a woman who is good at wrapping her own eagerness to steal public funds behind a facade of "patriotism" that Nigerians only ever really muster when the Super Eagles are playing.

Well done !!!

If only people would take time to research on any discourse put on the front burner they will realise that apart from being emotional on some happenings going on the country they would be able to make/take informed decisions,

When I welcomed you to this thread as a "research partner" the guy attacking you would have being informed of the level you have gone on this topic as we also trashed out some issues clogging the success of ASC

Thanks chairman , I wil find time to read the links to increase my small knowledge

2 Likes

Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by Okoroawusa: 1:28pm On Apr 02, 2018
omohayek:

Oh really? Tell us exactly when it was privatised, and who bought it for how much. Tell us how the government then reacquired it after selling it off. You don't have the first clue what you're talking about.

Again, more pontificating based on nothing more than prejudice masquerading as knowledge. If Indians don't have the competence, how did ArcelorMittal become the world's biggest steel company, and its biggest shareholder - Lakshmi Mittal - the third richest man in the world?

The idiocy and ignorance packed into this single statement is simply unbelievable! What exactly do you think Nigerian governments have been doing with Ajaokuta since the 1970s other than pouring more money into a black hole? And do you realise that "the original builders" that you mention no longer even exist, as the Soviet Union was dissolved in 1991?

You're ever so typical of totally ignorant Nigerians who refuse to let their ignorance stop them from wanting to pour yet more good money after bad, even with more than 40 years of failure staring them in the face.
You wuked(in Mr Ibu's voice)
Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by hakanai(m): 2:00pm On Apr 02, 2018
Olalan:
Ajaokuta mill is just a drain pipe for our resources, they had better sell it off to private firms cause it seems government has no answer to the problems there

Seconded. We know how such ventures end. Cut the government waste and sell that thing to a competent private company.We still have our refineries that have suck funds and still remain comatose. It is fact Nig. government is a bad manager of companies or assets. Things like this do well with private sector...call the big business men in Nigeria to get involved with foreign partners.

It is a bad move on the NASS side o! They could have loaned that money to any private owner (local business owner) to get it rolling and later pay government back o. Than inject funds like that o.
Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by SternProphet: 2:03pm On Apr 02, 2018
COMPAQ:

The same way Nigerian engineers were able to successfully run Nepa, Nitel, Nigerian airways, Nigerian national shipping line, Nigerian coal company, refineries, Nigerian ports authority, Nigerian schools and universities abi??

No. The way Nigerian Engineers are running GSM companies, Breweries, Food companies, Cement companies.
Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by SternProphet: 2:04pm On Apr 02, 2018
hakanai:

Seconded. We know how such ventures end. Cut the government waste and sell that thing to a competent private company.We still have our refineries that have suck funds and still remain comatose. It is fact Nig. government is a bad manager of companies or assets. Things like this do well with private sector...call the big business men in Nigeria to get involved with foreign partners.

It is a bad move on the NASS side o! They could have loaned that money to any private owner (local business owner) to get it rolling and later pay government back o. Than inject funds like that o.

Complete it first, hire new management from all over the world, then sell shares on the stock exchange
Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by hakanai(m): 2:07pm On Apr 02, 2018
COMPAQ:

Do mention abeg>>>! Abeg make I Help you. Eg. Nigeria airways,steel mills,Mtel,federal palace hotel,game reserves,Roads,state and Fed. secretariats,Offices,guest houses,roads etc.

No mind am Nigeria Government Ke!!! No be Nigerian Government hand e dey wey make am like that? Nawa. People don't even know we have other smaller steel mills that are dead and killed under government. Without doubt Nigeria government has found a millions ways over the decades, how not make a company,asset or business work.

Abeg they should give private business...
Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by hakanai(m): 2:49pm On Apr 02, 2018
SternProphet:

Complete it first, hire new management from all over the world, then sell shares on the stock exchange

You do realize that without kick starting it and packaging it well the shareholders maybe reluctant to buy abi.They should just privatize or what ever. Let the business guys do there thing get other investors or equity arrangement etc.Government should just chill and collect taxes abeg. Whether you like it or not such a big company will need shareholders it can't be a one man business.

1 Like

Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by yemi15(m): 9:17pm On Apr 02, 2018
A conduit for 2019 election campaign monies?
Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by yemi15(m): 9:19pm On Apr 02, 2018
Olalan:
Ajaokuta mill is just a drain pipe for our resources, they had better sell it off to private firms cause it seems government has no answer to the problems there

Concessioning it to Mittal India or Tats, seems the best option here

1 Like

Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by mikolo80: 9:23pm On Apr 02, 2018
Ademat7:
you will have full understanding of the journey so far
then what will happen after the understanding.
Nigeria being looted.what else is new
Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by grandstar(m): 6:49pm On Apr 03, 2018
4Play:
This is an act of madness and a brazen triumph for corruption.

A plant that should have been blown up and a 100 miles radius around it fully mined.

The only thing worse is the expenditure on refineries.

And the only thing worse than that is for Trump to slap punitive tariffs on Nigerian made steel grin

2 Likes

Re: Ajaokuta Steel Mill Gets N360bn Excess Crude Account Lifeline by grandstar(m): 6:55pm On Apr 03, 2018
Obinwenite:

I disagree with you.What's the presidency doing, if the presidency is proactive the company should be functioning now.Everyone has to share the blame including kogi state government .

Functioning now when there's a massive glut of steel globally which has heaviy depressed prices?

As at 2 years ago, China's excess capacity was well over a 100million tons. No other country produces up to a 100m tons and that aone was China's excess capacity.

Nigeria has no comparative advantage in making steel using such a steel plant.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

'Sunset Workers' Employed By Abdulfatah Ahmed Not Sacked - Kwara Government / Zamfara Has Spent 970 Million On Ransom Payments / 2023: Consensus Drive Failed So I Am Still In The Race - Tambuwal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.