Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,737 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:23 PM

Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry (4162 Views)

Reverse gear issue When Engine Is Cold / P0021 Diagnostic Trouble Code On 2003 Toyota Sienna Van / Corolla 04 Gear Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by Tekkyy: 4:31pm On Apr 02, 2018
Auto gurus please help.

My 2003 Toyota Camry gear won't reverse when switched to R. When at D it moves slowly and makes noise.

I have changed the gear oi but the problem still persists.

My mechanic is clueless to what the problem could be.

Advise needed pls.
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by UceeGod: 5:07pm On Apr 02, 2018
Could be the torque converter. Get a good AT mechanic to diagnose it correctly, possibly with a code reader.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by Tekkyy: 5:57pm On Apr 02, 2018
UceeGod:
Could be the torque converter. Get a good AT mechanic to diagnose it correctly, possibly with a code reader.

Thanks. I need more responses pls
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:57pm On Apr 02, 2018
Tekkyy:
Auto gurus please help.

My 2003 Toyota Camry gear won't reverse when switched to R. When at D it moves slowly and makes noise.

I have changed the gear oi but the problem still persists.

My mechanic is clueless to what the problem could be.

Advise needed pls.
4cyl or v6?
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by obekediamondfuto(m): 7:47pm On Apr 02, 2018
from ur explanation u r looking at a costly something oh.....

cc kashif

u might need to get to see competent workshop to scan the gear.... sounds like u have lost some gears.... and car is starting from a higher gear..
what is the car and maintenance history?
what was done to car before it started the problem

1 Like

Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by Tekkyy: 7:55pm On Apr 02, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

4cyl or v6?

4plugs sir
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by Tekkyy: 7:58pm On Apr 02, 2018
obekediamondfuto:
from ur explanation u r looking at a costly something oh.....

cc kashif

u might need to get to see competent workshop to scan the gear.... sounds like u have lost some gears.... and car is starting from a higher gear..
what is the car and maintenance history?
what was done to car before it started the problem

I do not know much about the car history. But ever since I bought it, I have not had issues with the gear. It never have any signs of defect or issues before it became faulty this afternoon. Thanks
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:17pm On Apr 02, 2018
Tekkyy:

I do not know much about the car history. But ever since I bought it, I have not had issues with the gear. It never have any signs of defect or issues before it became faulty this afternoon. Thanks

scan transmission, check harness for cuts by rodents.
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by Tekkyy: 1:46am On Apr 03, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Will do that.
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by Tekkyy: 2:26pm On Apr 03, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

My mechanic took the car to a gear expert and he was told that the "leather needs to be changed and would be rebuild"

I do not know what the above means but I want to be sure I am not been taken for a fool as the gear expert is demanding whooping 40k

Is that amount commensurate with the leather change?

Please help
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by Tekkyy: 2:26pm On Apr 03, 2018
Please I need a reliable and competent gear expert in Abeokuta. Its urgent pls
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by mayor2013: 3:37pm On Apr 03, 2018
How much is your gearbox
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:04pm On Apr 03, 2018
Tekkyy:

My mechanic took the car to a gear expert and he was told that the "leather needs to be changed and would be rebuild"

I do not know what the above means but I want to be sure I am not been taken for a fool as the gear expert is demanding whooping 40k

Please help

I have a toks gear, I'll give you at a discount of 50k.

Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by captainking(m): 7:12pm On Apr 03, 2018
Tekkyy:

Please help
Go with gazzuzz option.. A guaranteed toks gear from gazzuzz to rebuilding your gear.. Make a wise choice bro...

2 Likes

Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by Tekkyy: 10:12pm On Apr 03, 2018
captainking:

Go with gazzuzz option.. A guaranteed toks gear from gazzuzz to rebuilding your gear.. Make a wise choice bro...

Will do that

1 Like

Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by Tekkyy: 11:10pm On Apr 03, 2018
captainking:

Pls what is the downside of converting auto transmission to manual in a 2003 Toyota Camry?
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:39pm On Apr 03, 2018
the spirit if dancok is hovering over this thread...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by captainking(m): 11:44pm On Apr 03, 2018
Tekkyy:

Pls what is the downside of converting auto transmission to manual in a 2003 Toyota Camry?
its like inserting the engine of Volkswagen beetle into Toyota Camry 2.2..its not advisable bro..

2 Likes

Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by timifakay(m): 12:05am On Apr 04, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
the spirit if dancok is hovering over this thread...

It's being ushered in by the spirit of legalwealth

1 Like

Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by Originalsly: 12:15am On Apr 04, 2018
Tekkyy:

Hmmm....the leather?.... did your mechanic really take the car to a gear expert?..... or a shoe maker?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by jam04(m): 5:22am On Apr 04, 2018
It is either this poster is the mechanic and clueless about the gear probem or the car doesnt belong to him just soliciting for help on behalf of someone. How can you be offered the option of buying a tokunbo gear that cost around 70-90k for 50k but you chose to play with your car electronics by converting from auto to manual..huh??

1 Like

Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by debanj326: 7:46am On Apr 04, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Morning Sir, Pls how much is the Gear for Toyota corolla 2001(small but mighty) 3pins. Thanks
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by Tekkyy: 8:57am On Apr 04, 2018
jam04:
It is either this poster is the mechanic and clueless about the gear probem or the car doesnt belong to him just soliciting for help on behalf of someone. How can you be offered the option of buying a tokunbo gear that cost around 70-90k for 50k but you chose to play with your car electronics by converting from auto to manual..huh??

I am the owner of the car. It was my mechanic that told me about the leather problem. If gear leather is bad, does it mean the gear box is totally bad and cannot be repaired?
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by diportivo: 3:28pm On Apr 04, 2018
Tekkyy:

I am the owner of the car. It was my mechanic that told me about the leather problem. If gear leather is bad, does it mean the gear box is totally bad and cannot be repaired?

no

it's not totally bad oh....and it can be repaired for 40k as the leather changer told u

but

be sure to go back to dat problem after a week

also,there's no downside to changing it to a manual gear

only,if this ur mechanic that was clueless at first Is the one to do it,den u are on a long thing

lastly,if there's no money to buy a toks gear for now,be humble and park it till the money don complete

all this corner corner,u will spend much more on the long run sir
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by fishing: 8:09pm On Apr 04, 2018
Please contact mazdaengine parts.

He will surely help change the leather of your gear and even convert to manual at a cheaper price with absolute peace of minds.

2 Likes

Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by Tekkyy: 10:07pm On Apr 04, 2018
fishing:
Please contact mazdaengine parts.

He will surely help change the leather of your gear and even convert to manual at a cheaper price with absolute peace of minds.

How do I contact him pls
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:45pm On Apr 04, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Please disregard.

2 Likes

Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by AutoElectNG: 10:20am On Apr 05, 2018
Tekkyy:

There is something called falling from fry pan into the fire...are you sure you are not about to do so?

Secondly, you got an offer too good to be true on the ultimate solution to your car trouble, treated it with disdain, causing it to be withdrawn.

They way you are going you will soon without a car unless you retrace your steps very quickly.

The solution to your problem is to rebuild the transmission but those you are contacting cannot do a reliable job, certainly not for the quoted amount. The cost of doing a reliable job can be as much as your ride, the next best choice is to get another working transmission, a concession you treated with levity....because the offer was below market rate.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by ray48: 12:28pm On Apr 07, 2018
Tekkyy:

How do I contact him pls

Lol. Can’t u see d sarcasm in his statement?
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by Kashif(m): 7:48am On Apr 08, 2018
Tekkyy:

Bro, I am not sure why you have chosen to ignore sound advices here - replace your gearbox!

There is no leather in your gearbox, it's either you misheard your mechanic, or he miscommunicated.

No reverse (usually last to go) and binding or slipping forward and mechanical NOISES. Not looking good for a 40k rebuild. Don't go that route.

The noise means something may have broken inside, and I can bet you have metal pieces in the pan. Depending on how long you may have been testing this vehicle after this failure, these may have found their way into the cooler lines.

You may need to replace the radiator with the gear, to avoid a failure.

SIR, DO NOT REPAIR THAT GEAR IN YOUR BEST INTEREST.

2 Likes

Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by Tekkyy: 10:18am On Apr 08, 2018
Kashif:

Bro, I am not sure why you have chosen to ignore sound advices here - replace your gearbox!

There is no leather in your gearbox, it's either you misheard your mechanic, or he miscommunicated.

No reverse (usually last to go) and binding or slipping forward and mechanical NOISES. Not looking good for a 40k rebuild. Don't go that route.

The noise means something may have broken inside, and I can bet you have metal pieces in the pan. Depending on how long you may have been testing this vehicle after this failure, these may have found their way into the cooler lines.

You may need to replace the radiator with the gear, to avoid a failure.

SIR, DO NOT REPAIR THAT GEAR IN YOUR BEST INTEREST.

Thanks, bro. I admire the way and manner you have carefully explained the gear issue. Keep it up pls.

I will surely replace it.
Re: Help With Gear Issue On 2003 Camry by RZArecta2(m): 4:00am On Apr 09, 2018
Op, you had better beg Gazzuzz for that 50k transmission now considering the source of the offer's integrity and the country's current economic climate. That's if you really want the car to keep serving you o

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nissan Maxima 2003: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (service Engine Soon Light) / The Best of Mercedes-benz 230 Classic / Can Bad Injector Mouth Causes Black Smoke Or Increase Fuel Consumption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.