Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert (21752 Views)

Nigeria Becomes The First Nation To Ban White Models In Commercials / Nigerian-korean Han Hyun-min Is Breaking Barriers For Black Models In Korea / Beautiful Smile! Mide Martins Looks So Pretty As She Models In Bespoke Gown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by Nobody: 3:03pm On Apr 05, 2018
Biglittlelois:
I dont blame her, when she's charging over a million naira for her aso-oke why wont she use whites, see how they look like abeg, it doesn't even fit them, Nigerians and inferiority complex, smh!!

When you over hype someone's brand, you unknowingly make it more expensive e.g Deola Sagoe
shut ur mouth, I bet if she had use white men models u could have be singing her praises up and down. so shut the fvck up
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by Biglittlelois(f): 3:13pm On Apr 05, 2018
Saviour22:
shut ur mouth, I bet if she had use white men models u could have be singing her praises up and down. so shut the fvck up

You seem like someone who has low self esteem to think this way, i didnt even say white men or white women in the first place so why soo sad?
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by Nobody: 3:16pm On Apr 05, 2018
Biglittlelois:

You sound like someone who has low self esteem to think this way, i didnt even say white men or white women in the first place so why soo sad?
wat so u can hear me on Nl, i Love white women and ur comment is really pissing me off!!
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by eyinjuege: 3:18pm On Apr 05, 2018
I see a black model, an asian one and 2 caucasians.

African clothes fits one and all. That's the message i see here.

Should black models especially African ones be excluded from modelling for white designers showcasing their european culture?
Are whites banned from wearing african prints, or wearing clothes by African designers?

This isnt self hate. Diversity is key. A lot of blacks are so intolerant. If they're not crying that oyibo girls are wearing their hair as braids/dreadlocks, its that they're wearing African prints.
Please, make we hear word jare. What of all the black models she's used in the past?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by Biglittlelois(f): 3:26pm On Apr 05, 2018
Saviour22:
wat so u can hear me on Nl, i Love white women and ur comment is really pissing me off!!

Lol, no wonder, inferiority complex is already embedded in you
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by Jennifer89(f): 3:28pm On Apr 05, 2018
Her strategy, her business....
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by Elliot2(m): 3:28pm On Apr 05, 2018
too many self centered blacks with low inferiority complex.
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by kmaster007: 3:35pm On Apr 05, 2018
pple suld just learn how to mind deir business.. she can use anyone she feels like. nobody business.
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by Nobody: 3:53pm On Apr 05, 2018
The people that matter to her business aren't complaining. Her stuff are mostly for high-end users.

Besides, she is a global brand. Some of her workers aren't Africans.

That's globalization.

2 Likes

Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by revontuli(f): 3:59pm On Apr 05, 2018
eyinjuege:

Should black models especially African ones be excluded from modelling for white designers showcasing their european culture?
Are whites banned from wearing african prints, or wearing clothes by African designers?

This isnt self hate. Diversity is key. A lot of blacks are so intolerant. If they're not crying that oyibo girls are wearing their hair as braids/dreadlocks, its that they're wearing African prints.
Please, make we hear word jare. What of all the black models she's used in the past?

Exactly, she used black, white, Asian models and represented the diversity of human race. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. She should use Native American, Inuit, Hispanic and Tuareg models in the next advert cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by sunemi(m): 4:16pm On Apr 05, 2018
Everyone is free to believe in what they like.

Check my signature if you are a salary earner who works and reside in Lagos.
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by nextstep(m): 4:22pm On Apr 05, 2018
We complain if oyinbo don't feature black people in their adverts or on the cover of their magazines (we want equality ba?). But then we also complain when our own feature oyinbo. Is it that we only want to see black people... isn't that racist?

Abeg this is a world-class advertisement, showing how beautiful our outfits are on different bodies. There are two oyinbos, one asian, one black, and one mixed person modeling. Her clientele are international, and reflect this mix. If the bride has oyinbo as some of bridesmaids, don't you think she'll say: OK, I know I can have a good Nigerian outfit for the whole crew"? Or if the bride herself is oyinbo nko? Because this is happening a lot more nowadays.

The designs themselves are a blend of cultures: you can see the Nigerian influences of cosmopolitan Yoruba, blended really well with European influences (French modern, English Victorian and mid-century). Her tagline is "Gracing Every Woman Around The World". What does that mean: she's designing outfits with her unique blend of post-modern clothing (blending cultures), and offering them to every woman (not just Nigerian or Black women). This is a lofty, commendable, and achievable goal. Imagine women anywhere seeing it as a contemporary and desirable outfit, on par with offerings from Italy or London. I don't see how this translates to inferiority complex. Haba. Learn to enjoy beautiful things and think about the goals of design, without looking for faults where there are none.

Instead of celebrating this harmony, some people choose the path of myopia and close-mindedness. But thanks for the outrage, now I've discovered her and will check out more of her work. tongue

4 Likes

Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by grandstar(m): 4:33pm On Apr 05, 2018
I see nothing wrong with what she has done.

This is what Africans should even crave for? Do you think will always stay the same.

If she wants to go international, this is the price she ha to pay

She may one day have stores in London, Paris and New York.

She's thinking outside the box.

People see nothing wrong if Naija girls go overseas and look for modelling work but are here commiting suicide when Oyinbo's are used? If they had such a complex, you'll scream the house down about racism.

4 Likes

Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by CSTR1002: 4:38pm On Apr 05, 2018
Yorubas and owambe are five and six.

How can any sane person buy aso oke for 1 million just because of a party.?

na wa o.
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by grandstar(m): 4:38pm On Apr 05, 2018
nextstep:
We complain if oyinbo don't feature black people in their adverts or on the cover of their magazines (we want equality ba?). But then we also complain when our own feature oyinbo. Is it that we only want to see black people... isn't that racist?

Abeg this is a world-class advertisement, showing how beautiful our outfits are on different bodies. There are two oyinbos, one asian, one black , and one mixed person modeling. Her clientele are international, and reflect this mix. If the bride has oyinbo as some of bridesmaids, don't you think she'll say: OK, I know I can have a good Nigerian outfit for the whole crew"? I don't see how this translates to inferiority complex. Haba. Learn to enjoy beautiful things without squinting to look for faults grin

The designs themselves are a blend of cultures: you can see the Nigerian influences of cosmopolitan Yoruba, blended really well with European influences (French modern, English Victorian and mid-century). Instead of celebrating this harmony, somebody chooses the path of myopia and close-mindedness. But thanks for the outrage, now I've discovered her and will check out more of her work. tongue

Best comment of the day
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by Arielle: 4:46pm On Apr 05, 2018
nextstep:

Abeg this is a world-class advertisement, showing how beautiful our outfits are on different bodies. There are two oyinbos, one asian, one black, and one mixed person modeling. Her clientele are international, and reflect this mix. If the bride has oyinbo as some of bridesmaids, don't you think she'll say: OK, I know I can have a good Nigerian outfit for the whole crew"? Or if the bride herself is oyinbo nko? Because this is happening a lot more nowadays.

The designs themselves are a blend of cultures: you can see the Nigerian influences of cosmopolitan Yoruba, blended really well with European influences (French modern, English Victorian and mid-century). Her tagline is "Gracing Every Woman Around The World". What does that mean: she's designing outfits with her unique blend of post-modern clothing (blending cultures), and offering them to every woman (not just Nigerian or Black women). This is a lofty, commendable, and achievable goal. Imagine women anywhere seeing it as a contemporary and desirable outfit, on par with offerings from Italy or London. I don't see how this translates to inferiority complex. Haba. Learn to enjoy beautiful things and think about the goals of design, without looking for faults where there are none.

Instead of celebrating this harmony, some people choose the path of myopia and close-mindedness. But thanks for the outrage, now I've discovered her and will check out more of her work. tongue

Exactly. I think it's a really smart move. Even the background/decor reflects a mixture of periods and cultures. She sometimes does a lot of Nigerian with Victorian influences in her clothes. Smart woman. Not you usual Nigerian tailor.

1 Like

Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by Boss13: 4:55pm On Apr 05, 2018
White people generally don’t wear African prints, except they are married to Africans or have some interest in Africa, in other words, want to collect your money. Nonetheless, her target market is Africans and using whites models indicates a disconnection with your customers.
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by Nobody: 5:05pm On Apr 05, 2018
I only saw 2 white models... Even if all are white a model is a model & she has her reasons for that particular concept.. People overreacting over nothing undecided
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by Nobody: 5:07pm On Apr 05, 2018
Boss13:
White people generally don’t wear African prints, except they are married to Africans or have some interest in Africa, in other words, want to collect your money. Nonetheless, her target market is Africans and using whites models indicates a disconnection with your customers.

White people wear African prints a lot.. Both here & there
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by Nobody: 5:08pm On Apr 05, 2018
lol. even the oyibos as the model cant even afford it
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by MENTORCH(m): 5:16pm On Apr 05, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Nigerians have the "white-man superiority syndrome".

That's why music video roles for girls named Folake are played by white women.
This is one of the reason Toke Makinwa almost bleached herself to death.

Yes o!That is one of the reasons for the bad economy and unemployment because we don't believe in our stuff and we don't even like ourselves or our country. All those white models they will pay them in dollars when they are Nigerian models to pay.
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by Nobody: 5:26pm On Apr 05, 2018
Biglittlelois:

Lol, no wonder, inferiority complex is already embedded in you
eyah so wat so do u think I should do? maybe I should bleach my skin till I turn pale,or I should kidnapped one Albion she can pass as white.woman then we can dance shaku shaku under the sun tongue
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by victorian(f): 5:28pm On Apr 05, 2018
I see nothing wrong in the models she used.

She's stepping up to another class of audience , so let it be.

Its her business, her clothing line and choice.

If I were in her shoes, I will do the same.

It's called marketing strategy.

1 Like

Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by CioAngels(f): 8:01pm On Apr 05, 2018
I don't see anything wrong is this. don't we blacks model the English clothes? I like this because it will attract their liking to wear our clothes.
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by boyjo: 12:35pm On Apr 06, 2018
abefedammy:
Ondo State born houte couture fashion designer, Deola Sagoe's new advert has now gotten viral and being tagged a racist advert after the popular international designer used only White models in her advert.

The fashion designer is under fire from fans and her followers over the YouTube advert video because her wears are mostly used by blacks and the reason why she couldn't embrace the race.

https://www.gistrealm.com/nigerian-fashipn-designerdeola-sagoe-get-dragged-on-twitter-after-using-only-white-model-in-her-advert/

Isn`t it clear? She needs more patronages from Whites.
Or are you not aware of Ankara price abroad?
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by laudate: 1:25am On Apr 20, 2018
eyinjuege:

True! Diversity is being promoted here, and I think she is just trying to target an international audience, so she has to reflect that using models that are familiar to buyers within such foreign markets. undecided

cc: lalasticlala, please move to FP
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by eluquenson(m): 5:13pm On Apr 20, 2018
timsbee:
She dat is using whites for advert, is she white herself. Yeye racist.. Na so dem dey start soon now she go join d white folks dey perform nonsense racism.

Blacknyansh omoondo
She has been like this for decades, it's chinese ladies that sew for her at her Ikoyi office.
Re: Deola Sagoe Dragged For Using White Models In Advert by jbblues24(m): 7:42pm On Jun 01, 2019
Such illustration, many layout, so simple lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best Cream And Soap For A Fair Guy. / How African Are 'african Fabrics' - Ankara, Lace, Hollandais, George, Hi-target? / Does Wearing Necklace Makes A Man Irresponsible ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.