Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,240 members, 7,957,577 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:04 PM

13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge (26838 Views)

Life Lager Beer Lightens Up The Niger Bridge (Photos) / Aerial Photos Of Ogbaru, Onitsha From Second Niger Bridge Site / Onitsha Niger Bridge In 1967 And 2019 (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Geeoriginal: 6:37pm On Apr 05, 2018
After the destruction during the civil war, when does the reconstruction happened? Also, at what cost? In the transition period between the war and the reconstruction, how were vehicles passing to the eastern part? Was it by make shift bridge or boat like means? Op, we need more research and that can be extended to why the 2nd Niger bridge is not ready till now, what progress is being made on the 2nd Niger bridge if there is any. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Mariangeles(f): 6:38pm On Apr 05, 2018
ruggedized1:
OP, it is called ONITSHA BRIDGE.
What a beauty!

2 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by sweerychick(f): 6:40pm On Apr 05, 2018
Imagine the bridge took just a year to complete ( 1964-65) and yet ordinary flyover project that is less than half a mile will take the government about 3years to complete. God forbid both past and present administrations undecided

2 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by kings09(m): 6:52pm On Apr 05, 2018
skarlett:

What is a Buhari Is that the name of an animal, place or thing undecided

Jesu!

1 Like

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by EdCure: 6:52pm On Apr 05, 2018
IME1:
wink
If you have never crossed this bridge click share
If you have ever used bike on this bridge quote me
If you have passed this bridge ruggedly (driven yourself, passed with bicycle, overtaken on it, been inside hold up, walked on it, passed Dec 23rd, passed 9pm) grin click like
I walked on the sidewalk from onitcha to asaba. Last week.

1 Like

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by nextstep(m): 6:53pm On Apr 05, 2018
okpala95:
Before the bridge was constructed, which road where people passing before

Ferry services from Asaba to Onitsha. My grandparents talk about how they used the ferry back in the day...

Not sure of the photo credit, but I saw this on

https://asaba.com/asaba-with-out-the-niger-bridge/
and
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eric_chicago/5291675915

5 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Anambra1stSon(m): 6:54pm On Apr 05, 2018
Great

2 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by otabaotaba: 6:56pm On Apr 05, 2018
We need second bridge this one is always jampacked during festive period, but seeing this now makes me feel as if am on my way home

2 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Bleiz(m): 6:56pm On Apr 05, 2018
They were using ferry

okpala95:
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by seunfape(m): 7:08pm On Apr 05, 2018
I don treck from beginning to the end before
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by duwdu: 7:08pm On Apr 05, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

FACT 14

The bridge is long overdue to have a brother but the Federal Government does not give a damn about it because it is in the South Eastern part of Nigeria.

If Lagos can have 4 mainland bridges, why should Onitsha and the gateway to Eastern Nigeria have just one?

If you're not being sarcastic, then give the current Federal Government its own 16 years of breathing space - as you generously granted the previous set of regimes but had not much to show for it - and see whether or not the Niger Bridge will have at least one modern, completed brother within this other time span.

P34c3

1 Like

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by omoelerin1: 7:09pm On Apr 05, 2018
id4sho:
i here by advocate for renaming of the bridge "SIR ABUBAKAR TAFA BALEWA".

11. The commissioning of the bridge was the last public function of the Prime Minister before his assassination on January 15, 1966.
And na Biafra man assassinated him. They even destroyed the bridge sef. Na dem take their hand spoil their own region. Now, they are calling for its rehabilitation and construction of other(s).

These biafrans can destroy things for Africa. That kind of people are known as 'arungun' in Yoruba language.

3 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Anambra1stSon(m): 7:18pm On Apr 05, 2018
omoelerin1:
And na Biafra man assassinated him. They even destroyed the bridge sef. Na dem take their hand spoil their own region. Now, they are calling for its rehabilitation and construction of other(s).

These biafrans can destroy things for Africa. That kind of people are known as 'arungun' in Yoruba language.
Od.e who is calling for rehabilitation of the bridge, abi you lack common sense Southeast is far developed than your backward region that didn't experience war

6 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by IME1: 7:22pm On Apr 05, 2018
EdCure:

I walked on the sidewalk from onitcha to asaba. Last week.

Fantastic
I'll like to challenge myself to jog through one day soon,
Maybe even th is month shocked
Though not been that way in months

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by omoelerin1: 7:23pm On Apr 05, 2018
post=66462591:
Od.e who is calling for rehabilitation of the bridge

1 Like

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by blessingsonflee(f): 7:24pm On Apr 05, 2018
The day wen dem go put fire for this bridge then it is over for my Eastern brothers. So, no governor or igbo man can construct another bridge. If na to build monuments or spend money on frivolous things dem carry number one . Shior! cry

1 Like

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Anambra1stSon(m): 7:25pm On Apr 05, 2018
[quote author=omoelerin1 post=66462689][/quote]
Southeast is far developed than your region that didn't experience war
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by omoelerin1: 7:29pm On Apr 05, 2018
post=66462730:

alright sir.
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Anambra1stSon(m): 7:39pm On Apr 05, 2018
blessingsonflee:
The day wen dem go put fire for this bridge then it is over for my Eastern brothers. So, no governor or igbo man can construct another bridge. If na to build monuments or spend money on frivolous things dem carry number one . Shior! cry
E.wedu brain, the road is a federal road, it connect to many states both east and west all tribes use the bridge, how do you expect eastern governor to construct second Niger bridge are you OK? There are many bridges within Anambra constructed by the state government, Obiano within three years flagged off 12 bridges completed 5 others are still going on.

This is one of the bridges he constructed.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Neddyogu(m): 8:07pm On Apr 05, 2018
okpala95:

They used ferry transport system. But the construction of the bridge made it unnecessary and obsolete.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Kamalu1190(m): 8:18pm On Apr 05, 2018
IME1:
wink
If you have passed this bridge ruggedly (driven yourself, passed with bicycle, overtaken on it, been inside hold up, walked on it, passed Dec 23rd, passed 9pm) grin click like
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Topmaike007(m): 8:28pm On Apr 05, 2018
Mariangeles:
Interesting...
That feeling of knowing you're almost home when crossing Niger bridge
bro you are making me to miss home.....
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Topmaike007(m): 8:32pm On Apr 05, 2018
post=66462730:

na so ooo...

I am proud of my place #Afikpo north..

2 Likes

Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Topmaike007(m): 8:35pm On Apr 05, 2018
sweerychick:
Imagine the bridge took just a year to complete ( 1964-65) and yet ordinary flyover project that is less than half a mile will take the government about 3years to complete. God forbid both past and present administrations undecided
don't mind our yeye politicians jare...
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Mariangeles(f): 8:51pm On Apr 05, 2018
Topmaike007:
bro you are making me to miss home.....
Na so my sister... grin
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Sunnible: 9:16pm On Apr 05, 2018
IME1:
wink
I follow ooo
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Amirullaha(m): 9:27pm On Apr 05, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

FACT 14

The bridge is long overdue to have a brother but the Federal Government does not give a damn about it because it is in the South Eastern part of Nigeria.

If Lagos can have 4 mainland bridges, why should Onitsha and the gateway to Eastern Nigeria have just one?
I don't see you as someone who's serious about most of your posts, but the above caught my attention...
There is also a bridge in the North linking the south and North that is also over due yet the Federal Government haven't done nothing about it...
Federal Government is doing nothing about the bridges so don't say it's because it's in the south...
The Federal Government is neglecting core issues regardless of location...
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by iambijo(m): 9:50pm On Apr 05, 2018
Mariangeles:
Yeah...different strokes
yeah my niggirl
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by sulakishop(m): 9:55pm On Apr 05, 2018
Everything was correct except that I have trekked across the bridge and measured at 1.37 km
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by Ade3000yrs(m): 11:02pm On Apr 05, 2018
Frozen
Re: 13 Things To Know About The Niger Bridge by blessingsonflee(f): 12:05am On Apr 06, 2018
post=66463125:

E.wedu brain, the road is a federal road, it connect to many states both east and west all tribes use the bridge, how do you expect eastern governor to construct second Niger bridge are you OK? There are many bridges within Anambra constructed by the state government, Obiano within three years flagged off 12 bridges completed 5 others are still going on.

This is one of the bridges he constructed.
ogbolor brain. Keep waiting for Federal govt. Anu nmpa !don't help yourselves out . Federal govt. Send una?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Son Of AbdurRasheed Adetokunbo Adenowo Dies In Accident At Lagos-badagry Express / One Dies In Third Mainland Bridge Accident / Accident Along Enugu/Port Harcourt Expressway, Victims Rushed To FMC Umuahia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.