Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,087 members, 7,859,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 09:57 PM

My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate (36923 Views)

My Son Is Getting Married Without My Approval. / Our Daughter Got Married Without Our knowledge / My Sister Got Pregnant At 21 And My Dad Is Not Taking It Lightly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by DavidEsq(m): 8:36am On Apr 07, 2018
KOPT33:

I am an absolutist: as far as I am concerned, there was no marriage. I have satisfied my conscience though.
"Do not let urself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good". Romans 12:21. My brother, the same ish that happened to u is happening to me ryt now, but guess wat? After all their arrangements, the tin backfired and now dem dey cal me. I didn't feel angry at all. Why? The above scripture and 1 John 2:17 which says "The world is passing away and so is its desire....". That position of 1st sonship has always been and those who held it have passed on. The same thing (death) that happened to everyone else happened to them. So wats special about it, if it wld pass away? Nada. Besides, who made u the first Son? 1 Corinthians 4:7 answers it: "For who makes u different from another? Indeed wat do do have that u did not receive? If in fact, u did receive it, why do u boast as though u did not receive it"? Dis is not suggesting that u are boastful about ur position. Hell no! Bro just help pls. I'm doing so too. So there is two of us in d same kinda toilet, sh1tting the same kinda sh1t.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Nobody: 8:38am On Apr 07, 2018
DavidEsq:

"Do not let urself be conquered by the evil, but conquering the evil with the good". Romans 12:21. My brother, the same that happened to u is happening to me ryt now, but guess wat? After all their arrangements, the tin backfired and now dem dey cal me. I didn't feel angry at all. Why? The above scripture and 1 John 2:17 which says "The world is passing away and so is its desire....". That position of 1st sonship has always been and those who held it have passed on. The same thing (death) that happened to everyone else happened to them. So wats special about it, if it wld pass away? Nada. Besides, who made u the first Son? 1 Corinthians 4:7 answers it: "For who makes u different from another? Indeed wat do do have that u did not receive? If in fact, u did receive it, why do u boast as though u did not receive it"? Dis is not suggesting that u are boastful about ur position. Hell no! Bro just help pls. I'm doing so too. So there is two of us in d same kinda toilet, sh1tting the same kinda sh1t.

This would have been great counsel, but unfortunately, I am not a Christian.

I am a traditionalist, and in keeping with the ethos of my belief, I am on the right course.

5 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by engrelvis(m): 8:40am On Apr 07, 2018
I dnt know y people attach so much importance to first son in dis part of d world.it now make dem behave like alpha n omega .it has spoilt alot of things in Nigeria.op ,if u like u meditate or nt yr sister life will still go on .u r nt her God.am a first son tough n my siblings v done annoying tins to me but hey is no big deal.life geos on men.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Nobody: 8:44am On Apr 07, 2018
Useless fellow...better stop with all that pettiness and pitch in where you're needed...6yrs and you're still recalling ancient history mtcheeeew
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by DavidEsq(m): 8:48am On Apr 07, 2018
KOPT33:

I am a traditionalist, and in keeping with the ethos of my belief, I am on the right course.
U don't need to be. It's just like saying u have to be a Muslim to know the value of washing ur feet. Science today has realised the evil in breeding two different sorts of animals: their offspring cannot reproduce. The bible in Leviticus 19:19 already spoke against it. So wld u say this bible advice has found no use outside the boundary of Christians?

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by airlord2020: 8:51am On Apr 07, 2018
Help your sister and move on because it is the right thing to do.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Nobody: 8:52am On Apr 07, 2018
DavidEsq:

U don't need to be. It's just like saying u have to be a Muslim to know the value of washing ur feet. Science today has realised the evil in breeding two different sorts of animals: their offspring cannot reproduce. The bible in Leviticus 19:19 already spoke against it. So wld u say this bible advice has found no use outside the boundary of Christians?

Really can't understand why you feel the need to belt down your christianity into my throat.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by evavista: 8:53am On Apr 07, 2018
IAmAmbrose:
A popular ibadan adage says.... Too Hair is woman... To forgive is design undecided.... Please forgive them
its not an Ibadan adage and the correct statement is 'to err is human, to forgive is divine'

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by soonest(f): 8:57am On Apr 07, 2018
micflo28:
Its heart wrenching. Your position as the eldest son wasn't asserted as a result of your financial status. Tradition is tradition, choose to be a man, demand for a small wedding and your position recognised before you intervene. However they managed to jump the rope; evading tradition, demand that the proper thing be done.

This is funny! Which small wedding when the sister and the husband's marriage are on the verge of collapsing. He should intervene and afterwards they should come and make amends and fulfil the custom of the land, even if it's with a bottle of wine.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by DavidEsq(m): 9:00am On Apr 07, 2018
KOPT33:

Really can't understand why you feel the need to belt down your christianity into my throat.
I'm not doing that bro. I'm I'm at all.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by DavidEsq(m): 9:01am On Apr 07, 2018
KOPT33:

I'm not doing that bro. I'm I'm at all.
Just that rather than defend ur position with reason, u now seem to be going emotional, which has basis in reasoning.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Dcholeric: 9:01am On Apr 07, 2018
a great percentage of women are the same ...to them it's all about money.

Oga do what your heart tells you .

If you were still a nobody, they wouldn't have bothered to call you.

like someone said...you no be Jesus.

if you must help ...then you deserve all the explanations they can come up with why you weren't informed before the marriage and you deserve an apology from everyone involved.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by engrelvis(m): 9:02am On Apr 07, 2018
GogobiriLalas:
Useless fellow...better stop with all that pettiness and pitch in where you're needed...6yrs and you're still recalling ancient history mtcheeeew
dnt mind Mr first son .d thing is entering his head as like most first son in our country.Gosh! Some can b so annoying .
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by DavidEsq(m): 9:03am On Apr 07, 2018
evavista:
its not an Ibadan adage and the correct statement is 'to ere is human, to forgive is divine'
Too bad u wr too serious and straight-faced to see the humour.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by OpanachiOzohve: 9:16am On Apr 07, 2018
KOPT33:
I am the first son of my father who is now late.

When my father died some 11 years ago, I relocated to Lagos to finish my schooling. I lived with my aunt then but I had to leave their home because I was being abused. Upon leaving my aunt's house, things became so difficult for me but I persevered with my education till I finished my bachelors.

During my lean years, I fell out with most of my family members. My mom refused to speak to me for three years, I was essentially the outcast of the family. During this period, my mom and some elders in our family gave out my sisters hand in marriage.

The couple had a trad/white wedding. Bride price was paid, all the customs of our people were followed save for one: the consent or knowledge of the first son. I wouldn't get to hear about this marriage until six months later. That night, I cried because their action proved that I was nobody, a nothing to my mom and siblings.

Anyways, I kept on working hard and soon became comfortable. I mended fences with everyone in my family, but even at that, no one offered an explanation why things unfolded the way it did or an apology. I didn't make any noise, I just picked up myself and moved on after committing the lessons learned to mind.

Six years and two children later, my sisters marriage has hit the rocks.

Now they're asking me as the first born to mediate and talk to the man.

I REFUSED.

The man (sister's husband) won't speak to my mom or the other elders he had been dealing with regarding a possible reconciliation. My family know me to be a good mediator and peace maker and they are not wrong.

I refused because there is no point mediating in a marriage that was done over my head.

As it stands now, I have no interest in playing head of house or anything of such nature. I send money, I help make connections, I foot bills for everyone in the family but I leave their decision making to them since they discounted me right from the very beginning. I have no interest whatsoever in becoming a leader in that family.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?
My brother please flee!

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by soonest(f): 9:16am On Apr 07, 2018
KOPT33:

Obviously your mind is made up, then keep to your belief.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Nobody: 9:25am On Apr 07, 2018
KOPT33:

I am an absolutist: as far as I am concerned, there was no marriage. I have satisfied my conscience though.
Dont Do Shiit For Them... You Are Even a Good person To Send Them Money... The Marriage Was Done Without Your Consent, please Stay Out Of It... This They Must Bear The Consequences Of Their Wicked Acts to You

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by adedayoadeoye(f): 9:28am On Apr 07, 2018
i no u stil av soft spot 4 ur family.i want u 2 seriously take ur time b4 u mediate den ask ur sister one on one y she did dat 2 u as ur blood.4get about been askd ur mum cos she wont give u d right anwer u actually need dat mother 4 u cos nt all of dem love their children equaly.talkin 4rm exprience cos i am a victim of type right now
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Originalsly: 9:38am On Apr 07, 2018
Hmmm....if I were in your shoes.... knowing nothing about the guy... how can you mediate?...putting them back together may be for the worse. I guess greed was the reason you weren't informed about the wedding. Maybe the guy was clearly not good enough but had money. Why would they have you in to chase away the guy along with the bride price? ...and here you are...wondering why they are silent on that issue. Money is the root of all evil.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Pinkyposh(f): 9:55am On Apr 07, 2018
evavista:
its not an Ibadan adage and the correct statement is 'to ere is human, to forgive is divine'

It is correctly written as "to err is human but to forgive is divine"........ "Not to ere"

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Coldfeets: 10:10am On Apr 07, 2018
Pdizzle:

There's nothing wrong with relishing that moment, he should take his time. Family should stick together, but they showed him he didn't matter because he had no money. Those people will forget him in minutes if he goes broke today and deny all he has done for them. Let him enjoy his revenge.

Yeah, let him enjoy his revenge vanity.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by BennyMaiNasara(m): 10:36am On Apr 07, 2018
Two wrongs don't make a right.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Dcholeric: 10:48am On Apr 07, 2018
Coldfeets:

Two wrongs don't make a right.
of course ...that's why he needs to do the right thing by correcting the wrong and selfish attitude of both his mom, sister and elders .

mediating without any significant discussion and correction to that devilish attitude is the very wrong thing he should stay clear off...

people that will still ditch him as soon as things go bad...they need to understand... even God punish sinners.

his mom and his sister are liable for a grievous evil against him and he deserves an explanation, an apology and an oat of faithfulness...
if I were him I will concentrate on my wife and children , in a situation such as devilish as this . the only people he can count on in his old age or in hard times are his wife and children .

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Dcholeric: 10:53am On Apr 07, 2018
PDJT:

-Let me have your sister’s contact. I will help her myself. Most of this marriage issues are mostly environment and financial issues. She has kids to support. I don’t know where you come from, in Igboland we say: When a man grows, he waits for others.
Op please give this Christ the contacts fast...
no time.

Na em be saviour of the world.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by esere826: 10:57am On Apr 07, 2018
KOPT33:

When my father died some 11 years ago, I relocated to Lagos to finish my schooling. I lived with my aunt then but I had to leave their home because I was being abused. Upon leaving my aunt's house, things became so difficult for me but I persevered with my education till I finished my bachelors.

During my lean years, I fell out with most of my family members. My mom refused to speak to me for three years, I was essentially the outcast of the family. During this period, my mom and some elders in our family gave out my sisters hand in marriage.

The couple had a trad/white wedding. Bride price was paid, all the customs of our people were followed save for one: the consent or knowledge of the first son. I wouldn't get to hear about this marriage until six months later. That night, I cried because their action proved that I was nobody, a nothing to my mom and siblings.

Anyways, I kept on working hard and soon became comfortable. I mended fences with everyone in my family, but even at that, no one offered an explanation why things unfolded the way it did or an apology. I didn't make any noise, I just picked up myself and moved on after committing the lessons learned to mind.

I REFUSED.

The man (sister's husband) won't speak to my mom or the other elders he had been dealing with regarding a possible reconciliation. My family know me to be a good mediator and peace maker and they are not wrong.

I refused because there is no point mediating in a marriage that was done over my head.

As it stands now, I have no interest in playing head of house or anything of such nature. I send money, I help make connections, I foot bills for everyone in the family but I leave their decision making to them since they discounted me right from the very beginning. I have no interest whatsoever in becoming a leader in that family.

The bolded is the problem
You can meditate for your sister if you wish,
but they suddenly remembering that you are the elder is stupid of them.
..and you should let them know this.

If they want to want rectify this, then the family knows what to do, not pretending that nothing ever happened
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Jamiualabi12(m): 11:00am On Apr 07, 2018
pls don't hesitate to help, you might be the one God really need to settle the dispute.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by MrCEO69(m): 11:19am On Apr 07, 2018
KOPT33:

I REFUSED.

I think what you need it an explanation to why they neglected you. This is your anger. you should ask them why, cos from ur story u havnt asked them why, they are hiding that area and u are till hurt by it, u better go and find out why to be totally free with ur mind bro. then the process of total forgiveness or the inverse can take place. then u can tell them ur condition like doing the right thing as u wanted.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by 1234IKECHhukwu: 11:27am On Apr 07, 2018
ochukwuma15:

There was a marriage bro. There was a valid marriage!!!

I don't know the tribe you hail from, but as the first son of the family, you're supposed to represent your late father in the traditional marriage rites okay . Now if the family can get someone that will be there instead of your to represent your father (in this case, a brother to your late father or an uncle to your late father), then the traditional marriage is valid.M,sorry to say this u re not an igbo man how can u replace the place of a first son who in every ramification Is replacing the late father in the immediate family with an uncle.

Now coming to the white marriage, your consent is not needed, the consent of the people needed are : the bride, the groom and the marriage sponsors. Once four of them are present in church, the officiating priest goes on with the wedding.

I wrote this writeup to explain to you and any other proud person that might be reading this that the first son of a family has no significant role to play in marriage rites especially in igbo context.

Now , what a good son will do is to wish her sister good in her marriage, though it will pain him that his dear sister got married in his absence, now that the marriage hit the rocks, he will do everything humanly possible to unite her sister back to her marriage knowing fully well that marriage is the happiness of every woman and also knowing fully well that if her sister is happy in her husband's house, then the first son has one less mouth to feed and take care of.

What will an evil son do?
Exactly what you're doing now!

I pray my writeup meets you in good faith. Always be there for your siblings no matter what.

Do have a lovely weekend.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Artistree: 11:38am On Apr 07, 2018
GoldenJAT:
Bro....mk sure u suit urself 1st...allow d hurt 2 touch and overwhelm u a bit.u can't b JESUS CHRIST...d only perfect being i know of.i have a simple philosophy in life..no1 has d monopoly 2hurt another.if u werent there when d going was tough...u definitely have no business with me,when d going takes a softer stance.REFUSE THEIR ENTREATIES..AND LET THEM CLEAR THEIR MESS...let them know u r d 1st son 4 reason.
God bless you for this, insofar as he wasn't informed when the marriage was contracted, no jupiter should make him interfere... I would do same if I were in his shoes.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Nobody: 11:58am On Apr 07, 2018
TheLordIsGr8:

Marriage took place without his knowledge or consent, Not in his absence.

Of course he has a significant role to play. He is the head of the house and has not given out his *daughter* in marriage.

You made a valid point, though you're progressing in error my brother.

One his consent is not needed since there is an elder that can represent the family.

During her sister's marriage rites (in respect to igbo traditions), her sister pointed to someone their in-laws should communicate with and that person is not the young man who was in diaspora then (now remember that if her sister has pointed to him, he will be sought after and brought back).

From all indications, there's already a Crack in the family and we're all here to contribute our quota in mending the Crack, that's why the opp pasted the information for us to contribute.

So what am I saying, in Igboland, since their dad is late, there is someone they used to replace their dad, and our opp is not the person, so her sister's marriage is valid in all ramifications.

As you argued that her 'daughter' is not married, in this issue, that matter did not arrise at all, let him have some patience, when he begets a daughter, he can travel to panya and asked the daughter not to get married till he comes back.

But still, in igbo traditions, her daughter will get married before he comes back, why, maka na be anyi, oburo otu onye nwe nwa.

Peace unto you.
Re: My Sister Got Married Without My Knowledge -- Now They Need Me To Mediate by Nobody: 12:33pm On Apr 07, 2018
Acidosis:

Your mom has some explanations to make. Until that is done, do nothing.

Two statements that destroy people:

(1) Leave everything to God (yeah, leave everything to god including your commonsense)

(2) Forgive and forget (oh, what about correct, forgive and forget?)

I love what you pointed out in the emboldened.

It appears his mum made herself the head of that family at the demise of her husband when God actually graced her with a first son.

It pained the OP so much, he cried. Just imagine. So things should be cleared right from the mum's angle. A woman that should have been all out, guiding and helping her first son to lead and organize her late husband's household, rather turned out to be the one that despised and ridiculed him (her own son o), while his sister simply followed her lead. Some women sha. Who knows whether she did same to her husband while alive. undecided

Interestingly, the OP didn't suggest she is ready to mend her ways. But for the sake of his late dad's reputation, the OP should please urgently mediate and attend to his pains later.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

He Did Not Enjoy Intimacy With Me, And Concluded I Am Cheating / Late Alao Akala Dancing On His Last Birthday (Video) / Incredible! Read The Best Divorce Letter I Have Seen Exchanged By A Couple

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.