Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,874 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

"Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari (52081 Views)

Strangers Were My Ministers During My First Term – Buhari / Kenneth Okonkwo: Why I Am Running For Enugu Governorship Election In 2019 / "Why I Will Serve For Only One Term" - Buhari (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by yns4real: 1:51pm On Apr 09, 2018
President Muhammadu Buhari has formally announced his intention to seek a second term in 2019.
The president made his plan known to the National Executive Committee of the All Progressives Congress.
His office issued the statement below on the announcement giving further details on the president’s decision.

See Full statement below:

PRESIDENT BUHARI TO SEEK RE-ELECTION IN 2019

President Muhammadu Monday in Abuja declared his intention to seek re-election in 2019.

President Buhari made the declaration at a closed-door meeting of the National Executive Council of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

The President said he was responding to the clamour by Nigerians to re-contest in 2019, adding that he wanted to give NEC the honour of notifying them first.

Shortly before making the declaration, the President presented a speech on the report submitted by the APC National Executive Technical Committee.

His remarks:

REMARKS BY HIS EXCELLENCY, MUHAMMADU BUHARI, PRESIDENT, FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA, ON THE REPORT SUBMITTED BY THE ALL PROGRESSIVES CONGRESS NATIONAL EXECUTIVE TECHNICAL COMMITTEE 9TH APRIL, 2018

I am delighted to welcome you all to this very important meeting in the affairs of our party and our country. I want to specifically thank members of the Technical Committee for a job well done within the limited time frame.

2. It shows a great sense of commitment to the ideals of our party with a view to consolidating and positioning the party to continue delivering good governance in the overall interest of Nigerians.

3. With the present state of the party and based on the report submitted by the Technical Committee, It is important to focus on how to move the party forward by avoiding actions detrimental to the interest of the party. Considering that politics is a game of numbers, we must not be a house divided against itself and must try to note, appreciate and accommodate our differences as far as the law permits.

4. Upon my review of the Report, my position is to ensure that the party tows the path of unity, legality and cohesion and not that of division.

5. Therefore, I am stressing that we should strengthen our internal democracy by organising the Party’s Congresses and Convention where election of National Executive Committee members would be held. This will automatically end the cases filed by members seeking orders of Court compelling the party to hold its Congresses.

6. I also believe that the current executives should be free to vie for elective positions in the party if they so wish as permitted by our Party constitution.

7. However, considering the provision of Article 31(1)(iii) of the APC Constitution which requires any serving officer desirous of seeking re-election to resign from office 30 days before election, I am not sure of the practicality of present serving officers’ ability to meet this condition.

8. Accordingly, the party may consider granting waivers to party executives at all levels so that they are not disenfranchised from participating in the elections should they wish to do so, provided this does not violate our rules.

9. Necessary waiver(s) should also be extended to executives at the Ward level whose tenures may have elapsed, and indeed to anyone knocking at our doors from other political parties. This is in the spirit of the Right to Freedom of Association guaranteed by the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended).

10. In this circumstance, the party should officially issue a statement on the above Waivers so that our house may be full. We all must not be ignorant of the times, and the journey that is ahead of us.

11. Just like our party symbol; “the Broom,” which typifies strength in unity, let us strive to remain united in our purpose. Victory is sure by the Grace of God, and together we must continue to sanitize Nigeria’s political environment.
12. Once again, I welcome you all to this meeting with the hope that we will, in our deliberations today, conduct ourselves without rancour and promote the highest interest of the party and the nation.

Thank you.

Garba Shehu
Senior Special Assistant to the President
Media & Publicity
April 9, 2018

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/264420-why-im-running-for-second-term-buhari.html

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by Kingpee2(m): 2:04pm On Apr 09, 2018
The same reason is to steal and pile up more money ....What else ?

92 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by three: 2:07pm On Apr 09, 2018
Okay

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by Kingdollar28(m): 2:09pm On Apr 09, 2018
Lol

Hopeless government!!

Even a blind man can see the future failure in you and your useless government!!!!!!

141 Likes 9 Shares

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by kinggenesis(m): 2:09pm On Apr 09, 2018
And you think you will make heaven?

2019 isn't that far.

45 Likes

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by pussywounder: 2:10pm On Apr 09, 2018
Iam highly disappointed in Buhari. as a man of integrity, when u fail you resign. in Buhari's case, he failed amd refused to resign and now he wants to rub it in on Nigerians by contesting next year. I will personally travel to my village next year just to make sure my vote counts against him.

148 Likes 9 Shares

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by appini: 2:10pm On Apr 09, 2018
More like.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by SIRKAY98(m): 2:10pm On Apr 09, 2018
Dear Mr.President, i dnt say u should not go 2nd term or 3rd or 4th or 5th if u still Alive

Just help solve 1point Agenda

Give us 24/7 Electricity and dont do anything Again.

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by Meti99(m): 2:10pm On Apr 09, 2018
He who the gods will destroy they first make mad

83 Likes 7 Shares

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by ChangetheChange: 2:10pm On Apr 09, 2018
grin grin grin
Nigerians will retire u back to DAURA in 2019 INSHA allah

BUHARI NEVER AGAIN

BUHARI NEVER AGAIN , You are gone forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RgyFv6N93c

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by Dee60: 2:10pm On Apr 09, 2018
I took a taxi a few days ago and the taxi driver asked a simple question - Please can you mention one thing that the current administration has achieved in 3 years? I thought for a few minutes and found it hard to give any response.

Perhaps the president is looking for more time to try to record some achievements! This is 50-50. I wont vote for that risk.

PMB had better come up with some answers to that simple question asap, otherwise......his loss at the election could be colossal.

Ordinary Lagos-Ibadan road has not been completed. Power situation has hardly improved. Anyway, for me, the key is simple - Unless PMB rises up to stop the terrorist killings and robberies, he should consider himself a gonner!

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by yarimo(m): 2:10pm On Apr 09, 2018
I can see jubilation all over the country, sir carry on majority of Nigerians are happy with your style of leadership. BUHARI / OSIBANJO till 2023

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by godfatherx: 2:11pm On Apr 09, 2018
Run to Daura

A Yoruba adage says "The dog that wants to get lost, doesn't heed the Hunter's whitsle"

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by Nobody: 2:11pm On Apr 09, 2018
Go to hell, we don't care

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by clevvermind(m): 2:11pm On Apr 09, 2018
To do the final looting.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by Onbami(m): 2:11pm On Apr 09, 2018
which Nigerians are your responding to their calls? abi you are responding to the call of Fulani herdsmen!

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by Mujtahida: 2:11pm On Apr 09, 2018
Buhari is a plague worse than death.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by sotall(m): 2:11pm On Apr 09, 2018
Ok
Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by Meajor(m): 2:12pm On Apr 09, 2018
Na today I realise say this man na really dullard..... Abeg who brain wash Dis man head cry cry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by krissconnect(m): 2:12pm On Apr 09, 2018
You can declare but you won't win it, except ofcos you decide to rig the election which might throw the nation into chaos and except ofcos the south westerners will decide to trade their brain with furadinunu undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by penta(m): 2:12pm On Apr 09, 2018
Hmmm....
Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by adenine02: 2:12pm On Apr 09, 2018
May he loose inshaAllah

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 2:12pm On Apr 09, 2018
yarimo:
I can see jubilation all over the country, sir carry on majority of Nigerians are happy with your style of leadership. BUHARI / OSIBANJO till 2023
Jubilation of BMC crew you mean,more 30k a month to your acct

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by Wealthandjobs: 2:12pm On Apr 09, 2018
God bless President Muhammadu Buhari. Only the corrupt are afraid. God bless Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by fxjunkie(m): 2:12pm On Apr 09, 2018
In saner climes, he wouldn't be qualified to run for councillor

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by clevvermind(m): 2:13pm On Apr 09, 2018
yarimo:
Are you well at all?

31 Likes

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by IME1: 2:13pm On Apr 09, 2018
angry
Everyone who is qualified by law has a right to run and aspire for elective offices.
But you and I who have no interest have the right to vote provided we too qualify, 18 years, being Nigerian and all that.
Buhari has a right go run and voters have the right not to vote him.

Now this sounds pretty simple, but sadly the truth is, votes doesn't count, and before you start calling out Nigeria, know that it is not peculiar to Nigeria or developing countries but everywhere, see Russia, see Trump USA, see Uganda, Kenya, Brazil and I can go on.

What saddens everyone who didn't want Buhari to run for the 2nd term, which he has now declared interest in, is that
Votes don't count! undecided

I personally registered for my PVC in a place far from my house because they was no crowd there and the centre near me had crowd.
However, as someone who over many years engaged in endurance trek and aspires to try Lekki/Ikoyi and Onitsha/Asaba bridges, and even participate in the Okpekpe marathon come this May
I will or rather I would have been happy to trek to that centre to cast my vote.

But I won't because, as at 9th of April 2018, I'm sorry if I offend, discourage or dampen anyone's spirit or morale, I don't believe votes count.
And if they do,
We are yet to deal with issues of underage voters, violence at polling booths, snatching of ballot boxes, delay in bringing voting materials, machine errors and so on.

I trekked in Sokoto under the sun because we were told it was part of our service.
I'll trek on those bridges and run the marathon because I want to test my endurance, mark a feat and run for a course...

But, I will not walk to any polling station unless if by February 2019 God keeping us, I see signs, convincing signs that my one singular vote and those of others all around my dear Nigeria will count, oh cry 1984 comes to mind, George Orwell comes to mind, There was a Country comes to mind....

#PrayforNigeria

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by SamuelAnyawu(m): 2:13pm On Apr 09, 2018
Well I'm only concerned with Imo State For now

PDP ain't serious at Federal level

Senator Samuel Anyanwu for Governor Imo2019

2 Likes

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by zinaunreal(m): 2:13pm On Apr 09, 2018
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely

To command men is sweeter than sex

This is an absolute example of a failed president drunk in power

Choosing personal desires over your countrys welfare

Dont want to be tagged a failure in the history books

Mr President youre a fool and may God punish you

22 Likes

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by chosengocap: 2:13pm On Apr 09, 2018
yarimo:

“We have had it in Nigeria; people came and said they were implementing Sharia. Zamfara state started Sharia in Nigeria, it has the highest rate of poverty in the country today. It’s a matter of time for people to realise that this is all deception, this is all politics, this is not religion; it is about politicians appropriating religion as a discourse for getting into power.”
Emir Sanusi

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by Roger3D(m): 2:13pm On Apr 09, 2018
Nigeria is safer in Buhari's hands

4 Likes

Re: "Why I Am Running For Second Term" — Buhari by IBBG(m): 2:13pm On Apr 09, 2018
lol. the same fate that befell GEJ is awaiting you sir at the polls. Nigerians will decide once again

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Boy Escaping From Kidnappers Killed By Soldiers He Ran To For Help In Edo / Osun Election: Omisore Reacts As INEC Declares Election Inconclusive / Obasanjo: It's Ridiculous To Believe That Buhari Has Died (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.