Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,246 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG (1915 Views)

Buhari To Inaugurate First Northern Nigeria's River Port On Saturday / Conclusion Of N4.5bn Onitsha River Port Concession Mired In Controversy / 'Amaechi Is A Thief': APC Members Protest In Rivers, Urge FG To Prosecute Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by 0monnak0da: 6:51am On Apr 10, 2018
mikolo80:
i still don't get it
even after damming the flow rate should remain the same
Why should it remain the same? There are all kinds of damming . If the damming diverts the water is could permanently change the course of the river . Damming for drinking and damming for agricultural use would reduce outflows The Niger couldd be diverted into Lake Chad

This is quite technical so if you want to "get it" you have to do some work read and research but your assumption is wrong

The other thing is the actual SOURCE of the Niger in the Guinean Highlands. It is not guaranteed to be there forever or in the same amount . Man Rivers have shrunk and or dried in the past and will in the future
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by 0monnak0da: 6:59am On Apr 10, 2018
mikolo80:
the imports still need a water port na
and lagos is congested?
There should be water ports at the coast the solution to Lagos congestion is not dredging rivers when we have hundreds of miles of coast in Ogun,Ondo,Delta,Rivers Akwa Ibom and Cross River states . Rather we can build more ports.

I do not agree with your premise that Lagos is congested.

Ethiopia and Switzerland are totally landlocked and are performing better than Nigeria. This is the same resentment and rivalry to Lagos argument packaged in another way.

If Lagos Capacity is inadequate it can be expanded. More ports can be built wherever viable with viability being the key consideration.

A new port will soon be completed in Lekki. Let the SS governments create an enabling environment for investors to build a port in the SS

1 Like

Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by Chibuzoc(m): 8:38am On Apr 10, 2018
Do not expect any port in Igboland till Biafra is actualized
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by mikolo80: 4:47pm On Apr 10, 2018
0monnak0da:
There should be water ports at the coast the solution to Lagos congestion is not dredging rivers when we have hundreds of miles of coast in Ogun,Ondo,Delta,Rivers Akwa Ibom and Cross River states . Rather we can build more ports.
i'm nt a marine engineer but i thought ports need to be natural
you can't just berth (from my understanding at bar beach when yua not jack sparrow

I do not agree with your premise that Lagos is congested.
why does it take long to clear containers
why is apapa on total lockdown with trucks parrked on bridges?

Ethiopia and Switzerland are totally landlocked and are performing better than Nigeria. This is the same resentment and rivalry to Lagos argument packaged in another way.
they are surrounded by serious countries whose ports work

If Lagos Capacity is inadequate it can be expanded. More ports can be built wherever viable with viability being the key consideration.

expanded to where
apapa looks tight to me(layman)

A new port will soon be completed in Lekki.

nice one(i need aerial view of lagos map ffor reference)

Let the SS governments create an enabling environment for investors to build a port in the SS
heck why don't they build the damn thing themselves(with their loot) instead of buying houses in dubai
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by mikolo80: 4:50pm On Apr 10, 2018
0monnak0da:

Why should it remain the same? There are all kinds of damming . If the damming diverts the water is could permanently change the course of the river .
i don't think damming and diversion are the same thing

Damming for drinking and damming for agricultural use would reduce outflows The Niger couldd be diverted into Lake Chad

won't it overflow after a few years

This is quite technical so if you want to "get it" you have to do some work read and research but your assumption is wrong

agreed

The other thing is the actual SOURCE of the Niger in the Guinean Highlands. It is not guaranteed to be there forever or in the same amount . Man Rivers have shrunk and or dried in the past and will in the future
new ones will replace them
all that rain's gotta go somewhere,downhill
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by 0monnak0da: 5:13pm On Apr 10, 2018
mikolo80:
i don't think damming and diversion are the same thing

won't it overflow after a few years

agreed
new ones will replace them
all that rain's gotta go somewhere,downhill

Damming simply means an interruption in the flow usually by a wall . The most usual form of damming is to get water to drink and for agricultural and other uses . That is diversion in my book though diversion could be permanent when the course of a river is changed permanently that does not have to happen before it is called diversion

It is clear you are just yapping and not well informed

What rain are you talking about and what do you mean by downhill? I don't know what you mean. I hope it is not another one of those North is "up" and South is "down" convos.
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by mikolo80: 5:28pm On Apr 10, 2018
0monnak0da:

Damming simply means an interruption in the flow usually by a wall . The most usual form of damming is to get water to drink and for agricultural and other uses . That is diversion in my book though diversion could be permanent when the course of a river is changed permanently that does not have to happen before it is called diversion

It is clear you are just yapping and not well informed

so being well informed gives you license to talk down to others
if you want us to go into the gutter,run your mouth one more time

What rain are you talking about and what do you mean by downhill? I don't know what you mean.

smh
and i thought you were well informed
a shey you touched the snout of an elephant and described it as a snake

I hope it is not another one of those North is "up" and South is "down" convos.
now yua rambling
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by 0monnak0da: 5:31pm On Apr 10, 2018
mikolo80:

so being well informed gives you license to talk down to others
if you want us to go into the gutter,run your mouth one more time

smh
and i thought you were well informed
a shey you touched the snout of an elephant and described it as a snake

now yua rambling

Gutter is where you might feel more comfortable ,your problem.

I have nothing to gain from speaking with you as you have nothing to offer on this subject so face your lane
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by mikolo80: 5:42pm On Apr 10, 2018
0monnak0da:

Gutter is where you might feel more comfortable ,your problem.

I have nothing to gain from speaking with you as you have nothing to offer on this subject so face your lane
smh
empty barrel
doesn't even know what a watershed is
Re: Make Onitsha River Port Functional, Shippers Urge FG by knowledgeable: 5:47pm On Apr 10, 2018
joeyfire:
They are not interested in making any port in the east viable. No be today matter

Explain further...

(1) (2) (Reply)

''Igbo Better Off With Buhari Presidency'' - Yoruba Ronu Leadership Forum. / PDP WON Five lgvt Collated So Far / 2023: It's A Scam Promising Igbos Presidency, We Want Referendum - Amechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.