Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,869 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? (17465 Views)

Story Behind Stingy Men Association Of Nigeria (Pictures) / What If Your Definition Of Success Was All Wrong??? / Funny Definition Of Pineapple On Urban Dictionary. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by lonelydora: 12:48am On Apr 13, 2018
This Chelsea fan is very stingy.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by Dollabiz: 1:38am On Apr 13, 2018
hmmm
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by cenaman(m): 1:40am On Apr 13, 2018
A stingy man aka (aka gum) is person who doesn't gives out money or other materials thing even though he/she has it in abundant. aka gum is a sin oo, is a sin oo in dunkan mighty voice.
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by deebrain(m): 2:07am On Apr 13, 2018
hmmm
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by stacyadams: 2:35am On Apr 13, 2018
Some years back .i met dis guy who owned a shop.u will never owe him 1 kobo..he starved himself on a regular basis.as skinny as Somalians ..he rather drank garri than eat proper food.till the day ulcer handled him ...that's stingyness

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by Nobody: 3:05am On Apr 13, 2018
I have never used the word stingy on anyone b4. You don't tell people how to spend their money. Girls are fond of doing this. You just expect someone thats not your boyfriend to spend carelessly on you.. When he tries to be careful with his money, he is stingy.. grin

1 Like

Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by secpowell: 3:22am On Apr 13, 2018
A stingy person is someone who come, to your house and eat your food .When it is his/her turn he/she, will hide is own food until you left.
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by Nobody: 3:48am On Apr 13, 2018
When a guy spends,they call him mugu,but when he doesn't they call him stingy...which one do you prefer to be called?

1 Like

Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by pressplay411(m): 3:49am On Apr 13, 2018
Shugarlord213:
I don’t care about the word stingy you girls problem should be looking for a job and stop claiming feminism

The real feminists aren’t online. All nairaland girls are h.oes

Enough said

According to dictionary, Stingy is defined as Unwilling to spend. Mean.
But to me, being stingy means being selfish.
Although some people are so stingy they won't even spend on themselves let alone others.

Stinginess is a state of the mind. It shows a person's slavery to money. A stingy person could have a million in his account yet worry that spending 1000 is a waste because (s)he is too mindful of losing any penny.

Yet the Bible preaches one simple truth, the more you give, the more you're blessed.
If you know you're blessed, you won't be too bothered about going broke tomorrow. You'd open your eyes to giving more. Cos truth is, you'll also receive more from life, from providence, from God.

But of a truth, society today has been designed to keep one always saving for tomorrow or investing for tomorrow, as if that tomorrow is so bleak. So in all things apply wisdom, apply moderation. Save more, give more.
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by Codebrain3323: 5:11am On Apr 13, 2018
When you are unnecessarily thrifty

Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by socialmediaman: 5:20am On Apr 13, 2018
It’s simple! They don’t give or spend.

Time is one of the things stingy people can’t give. You need their time for a non financially rewarding purpose but they can’t give it.

Money is another thing they can’t spend. Nothing for beggars, preachers etc.

Sometimes it’s good to be stingy too, don’t misunderstand being stingy as a bad thing, it’s just a word that qualifies unwillingness to spend or give.

In cases when you must achieve something for yourself without distractions, some stinginess might be necessary. However, avoid being stingy to the point where exile yourself from the world around you.

Enough said, be generous, that’s what the society needs, if you’re too stingy you’ll probably have fewer friends and few people will feel your impact or remember you when you aren’t there.
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by EmekaBlue(m): 5:53am On Apr 13, 2018
My co-worker is a fvcking stingy bastard angry

A stingy person is one who enjoys favors from others but very hard to give back even if in a good position to do so.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by CeeKay17: 6:25am On Apr 13, 2018
derrydinny:
you have no right to call anyone stingy in as much as you didn't work for them. Stingy tho means bring reluctant to let go of material things for others
You don't have to work for people to call them stingy. If they have benefited from you one way or the other but they don't reciprocate even they can, such people can be called stingy.
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by DrHighchief(m): 6:25am On Apr 13, 2018
Check dictionary...
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by CeeKay17: 6:28am On Apr 13, 2018
EmekaBlue:
My co-worker is a fvcking stingy bastard angry

A stingy person is one who enjoys favors from others but very hard to give back even if in a good position to do so.
Well said. It's not always even about giving money sef. When you can't help people who have helped you in the past, even when you have the capacity to do so, you're danm stingy.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by taretoofine(m): 6:41am On Apr 13, 2018
Proudly stingy
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by CAPSLOCKED: 7:14am On Apr 13, 2018
TheUpsetGirl1:
what's your definition of stingy??

to me a stingy person is the one who you spend on, help in time of his/her needs, but doesn't spend on you and doesn't help in your time of needs.

like;

I spend on a guy
, help him when he needs help but he doesn't spend on me, give excuses and refuse to help me in times when I'm in need of help.

what's your own definition of stingy? because I've noticed that the word have different meanings to many people.

I KNEW THIS THREAD WAS ABOUT "STINGY GUYS" THE MOMENT I SAW YOU'RE THE THREAD STARTED.

IF YOUR LIFE DOESN'T REVOLVE AROUND "GUYS THIS, GUYS THAT " MAYBE YOU'LL CEASE TO EXIST.

SHAME ON YOU.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by AreaFada2: 7:14am On Apr 13, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

wouldnt you think that the heartless ones here are the beggars who dont "feel" how much this man has SUFFERED in order to save this money, and these beggars want to make decision on HIS money?! how dare they! if anyone begging has pain then that shouldnt be the reason for a man with a plan to squander what he has suffered to put aside, especially when the majority of beggars were spending their own money on frivolous BS when this man was living a simple life to be able to save.

the minute you believe that you DESERVE to be helped and/or that you are ENTITLED to another person's wealth, thats the day you would have officially failed in life. any human being should strive to better their lives on their own, and if someone decide to help them, fair enough, and if they dont then SO BE IT. stop putting your life's responsibility on other people's lap
Mr brown you nailed it. Entitlement mentality disgusts me. Simply pathetic. Even some so called social media friends have this nauseating attitude. People I have never met and will never meet. I just cut them adrift sharp sharp.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by Godson201333(m): 7:15am On Apr 13, 2018
MrBrownJay1:
a stingy person is someone who is careful with money, who knows the value of money, and most importantly, how hard it is to make money (thus they dont squander it on BS).

sadly, the majority of people in Nigeria who call others stingy have absolutely no money to call their own, and are usually the one begging that same "stingy" person for handouts etc (or expect him to spend frivolously on them).

Well intelligently said,Sometimes being Stingy doesn't really mean he is not nice and not willing to help.Just like you said,He knows the Value of money and doesn't squander it on BS.It mean he knows how to manage his resources,If you worth giving the money and would use it for a reasonable thing, then thats okay.Would you call me a stingy person if i decline giving you money to buy condom, Beer, Cigarette ,f**kn prostitute?The other day a good friend of mine told me to buy him game Pad.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by ellizy(m): 7:31am On Apr 13, 2018
having something in my possession and doesn't feel like giving it out doesn't mean I'm a stingy person. you never know my plans about my possession. but a stingy person is he that you render service for and doesn't want to appreciate your service despite the service fetch him profit
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by Pheo: 7:35am On Apr 13, 2018
TheUpsetGirl1:
what's your definition of stingy??

to me a stingy person is the one who you spend on, help in time of his/her needs, but doesn't spend on you and doesn't help in your time of needs.

like;
I spend on a guy, help him when he needs help but he doesn't spend on me, give excuses and refuse to help me in times when I'm in need of help.

what's your own definition of stingy? because I've noticed that the word have different meanings to many people.

a stingy guy is someone who when you ask him for something he starts quoting the scriptures or starts giving you reasons why wat you need the money for isn't important or is always broke when you ask
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by pweshboi(m): 8:10am On Apr 13, 2018
I wonder if Mark Zuckerberg were to be a Nigerian, most of our girls would have termed him stingy...
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by jikins(m): 8:24am On Apr 13, 2018
Newpride:
]

Is this ur own definition of stingy or the one u read in the dictionary?
No dictionary in the world that has this ur definition of stingy.
U can do better next time instead of translating ur frustration into the meaning of words that do not justify same.

Oga what's the title of this thread again. Because that's his definition, if you have a different one say it and free the guy.
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by JhyMedex: 8:24am On Apr 13, 2018
UDUJ:
Though I don't like the Op, I will try to answer this as detailed as possible.

Let's take this in reverse order:

The "stingy" are those who could spend, but choose not to. They value money more than comfort or approval from others. This could be rooted in a fear of poverty, a lack of self esteem, selfishness or resentment.

The "cheap" are those who do not assess the value of what is spent vs. the benefit derived. They sometimes spend on items that are low in cost, but have no intrinsic value, simply because the item is cheap. They take pleasure from the immediate gratification of owning the item, without considering whether it has quality or enduring utility, or whether the amount spent could yield more if allocated differently.

The "economical" are those who assess the benefit of spending vs the cost. They seek to obtain the best value for, or highest benefit of, their spending. They seek enduring utility or intrinsic value in exchange for their spending.

The "generous" will spend a portion of assets not needed to sustain their needs. They may even sacrifice a measure of their own comfort to relieve a perceived need in others. Sometimes this is an act seeking approval. Sometimes this is a demonstration of power. Sometimes this is performed out of a sense of obligation. Sometimes this is an act of true philanthropy, performed simply because it is possible.

Terse!..
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by Newpride(m): 8:27am On Apr 13, 2018
Oga what's the title of this thread again. Because that's his definition, if you have a different one say it and free the guy.

Mr man, go check ur dico well and stop quoting me
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by Beverly(f): 10:29am On Apr 13, 2018
someone who doesn't like to spend on anybody; be it Financial or otherwise.
A selfish person indeed is a stingy person.
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by ImaIma1(f): 12:22pm On Apr 13, 2018
A stingy person is someone who has an assortment of excuses and reasons on why he or she cannot,could not, will not, may not and should not give.
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by BerryAnny(m): 12:41pm On Apr 13, 2018
Mariangeles:
For you to have no regards for women and mothers, you definitely grew up on the streets, probably slept under the bridge... that's the reason you had no proper upbringing, no character, zero class!
I blame the woman who gave birth to you!
Don't insult the street bro. There are matured and responsible people who are products of the streets. That one is just a kid with no sense of his own,you ought not to be trading words with such.
Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by kachiz(m): 12:50pm On Apr 13, 2018
MrBrownJay1:
a stingy person is someone who is careful with money, who knows the value of money, and most importantly, how hard it is to make money (thus they dont squander it on BS).

sadly, the majority of people in Nigeria who call others stingy have absolutely no money to call their own, and are usually the one begging that same "stingy" person for handouts etc (or expect him to spend frivolously on them).

GBAM!

1 Like

Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by majekoam(m): 12:51pm On Apr 13, 2018
lonelydora:
This Chelsea fan is very stingy.

Who said the wife isnt wearing a MAN UTD shirt.

He's secretly vexed at her...

wink smiley cheesy grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:33pm On Apr 13, 2018
Afam4eva:

I think the Nigerian and universal definition of stingy are different.

In Nigeria, you're stingy if you don't give people money just for the heck of it. Why should i give you money just because you asked me to and you think you reserve the right to call me stingy.

well said bro, also many say this word because they know the ego of men would have many pay up out of shame to be called stingy. its a trick used by the beggars that often works. i am a proud stingy man who only spend when i want and how i want it, and anyone who calls me cheap, i simply reply to them:"well why dont YOU pay for it then?"

jaxxy:
Not exactly. Sm stingy people spend frivolouly on themselves by can't give a dime out to others. Sm are only good at collecting bt hardly ever giving. Money only has value when it's not been spent on themselves as u put. I know people who are cautious spenders bt give to the needy around them.

and how is that WRONG?! so are you saying that if a man spend his money frivolously on what he desires, it is wrong... and should do so on everybody that is begging around him?! again, its his money, his sweat and blood through hard work, and if he wants to throw it in the sea rather than give it to beggars then so be it. again, there is nothing wrong with those who give, and certainly nothing wrong with those who dont. its their lives, their money, their CHOICE.

Bt if this is a twisted context of guys bashing gals and vice versa count me out!

sadly, it is a fact that the majority of people who use this word are women, when some dude doesnt want to bankroll their demands.
if we go to the restaurant and i ask you to go Dutch (aka pay for your own share), you will be quick to call me stingy supposedly because men "must" pay for dinner, right?... if you want to come over my place but yet want me to pay for your transport, and i refuse, you will be quick to also call me stingy because supposedly i want to mount you for free, right?... if you want me to pay for your hair salon trip and i refuse you will be quick to call me stingy supposedly because i want to be with a beautiful woman but dont want to help her look beautiful, right?

the reality of this matter is that,A) if i invite you for dinner, then i choose the place and i choose what you eat, and if you start ordering for 10 peeps (or better yet, bring 3 friends along), you are ON YOUR OWN! B) sex is a mutual pleasuring matter, when you come over we BOTH gonna enjoy ourselves so why should i pay for your transport? will you pay for my transport if i come visit you? and C) how did you do your hair before you met me? the same way you did it in the past is the same way you should continue today whether you date me or marry me.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Important Things In Life. Get Motivated Now!!!!!!! / Ever Been Discriminated Because Of Your Looks? / What Is Your Greatest Fear?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.