Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,462 members, 7,830,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List (28701 Views)

12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” / Strangest Books Ever Written (photos) / Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Rajahbite(m): 9:08pm On Apr 10, 2018
Out of twelve I've read only nine?
Beloved
One hundred years of solitude
Anna Karenina
You three, I must conquer you.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Nobody: 9:14pm On Apr 10, 2018
gustav25:
achebe's illustration and use of words is so simple but breathtaking. His novels literally recreate themselves before you as you read

So true...What cracks me up about the novel is whenever l remember how the "mighty and most feared" okonkwo and a couple of elders were lured into their detention,those jailers, abi prison warders, showed them shege,no be small.No respect for their elders, especially the titled ones.

They used piece of glass to scrap their hairs off their skulls and they kept giving them hefty knocks here and there on their new gorimakpa,for days before they were released. And when they returned, shame and humiliation made them dumb for days.
Achebe was a great writer,l felt everyone's emotion in that novel, especially my ikemefuna

4 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Rosskii: 9:21pm On Apr 10, 2018
desmond2pk:
Woke soyinka novels are not even among the first 100000.hahahahahaha

Wole Soyinka only wrote two real novels, Season of Anomy, and The Interpreters, which were highly intellectual novels, with grammar, phraseology, and prose beyond the grasp of the average person. His prison memoirs, The Man Died, is an acclaimed work of huge international repute, as is his autobiography, Ake - The Years of Childhood.

But the great Wole Soyinka is known worldwide, first and foremost, as a fabulous, first-class playwright. His plays, The Lion and the Jewel, Death and the King's Horseman, A Dance of the Forests, and Kongi's Harvest, among others, have graced the finest and most prestigious theatres on Earth, from Milan to Moscow, from New York to New Orleans, from Accra to Ankara, and from London to Los Angeles. Soyinka is a Nigerian legend, just like the great Chinua Achebe of blessed memory.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by hadow(m): 9:42pm On Apr 10, 2018
chiedozie198100:
no book from the fake activist professor? grin grin grin grin grin grin

A man with a Nobel prize

1 Like

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by gustav25: 9:48pm On Apr 10, 2018
ikechizoba:

So true...What cracks me up about the novel is whenever l remember how the "mighty and most feared" okonkwo and a couple of elders were lured into their detention,those jailers, abi prison warders, showed them shege,no be small.No respect for their elders, especially the titled ones.

They used piece of glass to scrap their hairs off their skulls and they kept giving them hefty knocks here and there on their new gorimakpa,for days before they were released. And when they returned, shame and humiliation made them dumb for days.
Achebe was a great writer,l felt everyone's emotion in that novel, especially my ikemefuna
now this is funny and taking back the years when I digest the sweet novel

1 Like

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Vulcanheph(m): 10:07pm On Apr 10, 2018
They need to make a movie of the book... A remake of pete edochie's version
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by dfrost: 10:15pm On Apr 10, 2018
Himmler:

Okonkwo grin

And Amalinze (not sure of the pronunciation) the cat

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by phase1: 10:22pm On Apr 10, 2018
SHAKABOOM:

I agree with yu..Even the 2 greatest books of all times dint make the ipob compiled list OBO IYA OGBOMOSHO ad The fresh breath of JAGABAN.. grin
They really don't know the sweetness in yoruba language..Na Only craze man know the sweetness for im KOLOMENTALITY cheesy

Lmao!

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Throwback: 10:32pm On Apr 10, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Isn't a Nobel price receiver on literature supposed be outclass his rivals wen their literary works are graded/Compared? cool

Literature has always been known to cover:

Prose, Drama, Poetry.

Achebe ticks 1 box, Soyinka ticks all the boxes.

That one is awarded a Nobel prize, already means you are considered the best among your peers. Or you think it is an Aba or Oluwole certificate? Do you know what it means to be the first African to attain such a feat in the field of Literature?

It can never be wished away, no matter the envy.

A Nobel laureate should only be compared to a fellow Nobel laureate.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by conehead2018: 10:50pm On Apr 10, 2018
AfonjaConehead:
Coneheads and lagoon will be 5and6 today grin
my brother we are already at d lagoon,just let me finish writing my will and finish my last plate of amala and ewedu before taking a backstroke dive into the lagoon cos I can't take this goodnews from the Igbo.

5 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by DSDLIVEREPORT: 10:55pm On Apr 10, 2018
Am happy for the generation of this great man . Oluwa Jo wa se temi fun mi o.
Unborn babies will still be collecting royalty

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Tohzara(m): 10:56pm On Apr 10, 2018
chiedozie198100:
no book from the fake activist professor? grin grin grin grin grin grin
Soyinka is a Nobel Laureate, while unfortunately Achebe was probably never nominated for the Nobel Prize. grin

Herman Hess
Franz Kafka
Ernest Hemingway
George Bernard Shaw
Robert A. Heinlein
James Joyce

I can't see any of their books on the list. Does that mean Achebe is a more talented writer than the great pen soldiers listed above? You moröns are such delusional idiots. grin

I don't hate Igbos, neither do I hate Achebe, as I consider him a great Nigerian that made the country proud. But the attitude of you guys towards Prof. Wole Soyinka concerning this matter is an insult to hierarchy anywhere in the cosmos.

I'm not hating on Achebe for this honour bestowed on him. Why should I? He's my compatriot, and unlike some people cursed to loathe right from the womb, I wasn't programmed to hate people of other tribes, but knowing that you hate to hear the truth and often feel bitter and frustrated even after the most silent of whispers of it into your ears, I make no apologies for however this makes your delusional self feel.

Prof. Wole Soyinka and Achebe are not in the same league. Get that into your head, and stop fooling yourself. cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by CSTR1003: 11:00pm On Apr 10, 2018
Throwback:

Prose, Drama, Poetry.

That one is awarded a Nobel prize, already means you are considered the best among your peers. Or you think it is an Aba or Oluwole certificate? Do you know what it means to be the first African to attain such a feat in the field of Literature?

Nobel laureate is only an award. It does not confer literary sainthood.

The test of the pudding Is in the eating.

China Achebe Is the most read African author ever. That speaks for itself more than a 100 Nobel prizes will.

4 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by OyinO: 11:14pm On Apr 10, 2018
idiot British imperials! They refused to honour him when he was alive because he exposed their atrocities. Of what use is this now when he's long dead? They love honouring the dead and buried.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by wayne4loan: 11:14pm On Apr 10, 2018
TheCongo2:
First time I read "Things Fall apart" was in high school.
It was the French translation of it, " Le monde s'effondre" ( The world is collapsing). This is how I got to know about Achebe.
Sir are u from Congo

1 Like

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Throwback: 11:15pm On Apr 10, 2018
CSTR1003:

Nobel laureate is only an award. It does not confer literary sainthood.

The test of the pudding Is in the eating.

China Achebe Is the most read African author ever. That speaks for itself more than a 100 Nobel prizes will.

Good you mentioned most read.

But who has read his plays or his poetry?

Which of the theatres around the world has his drama been staged?

Soyinka's work spoke for him and was considered the best literary genius to come out of Africa and awarded the Nobel prize for Literature as the first ever African.

Achebe's stories too have made their mark, but literature has never been about stories only.

If the fans of Achebe were satisfied with his work being most read, they would not continually remind themselves of his inability to have the Nobel prize achievement of Soyinka, by feeling the need to refer to Soyinka on a thread that had no business with Wole Soyinka.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by wtfcoded: 11:17pm On Apr 10, 2018
koladebrainiac:
i LOVE THE Arrow of God more tho
Its because u are an afonja.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by TheCongo2: 11:22pm On Apr 10, 2018
wayne4loan:
Sir are u from Congo

Oui monsieur,
I was born in the Congo

3 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Favouritegirl1(f): 11:37pm On Apr 10, 2018
HeyCorleone:
I started reading the book when I was 7. Didn't quite follow thru but I'm sure I finished it before age 9. Still it's one of the best books I've ever read. Even at that young age I still managed to grasp the picture Achebe was painting. Why? Because he wrote it in simple English. Man pictures of that book still live in my heart. I want to get a copy to read now that I'm much older.

That was when Nigerian writers used to really think. Not these days. "Last Days of Forcados High". A recent disaster.

You haven't read enough books by Nigerians. Try Nnedi Okoroafor, Tomi Adeyemi, Othuke Omniabohs. P.S "Last days of Forcados high school isn't great but it's surely not a disaster. Besides people have written not too great books even from old times. E.G Ogali A Ogali's "Veronica my daughter
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Nobody: 11:47pm On Apr 10, 2018
moscobabs:
I prefer Alawiye and Ogboju ode ninu igbo irunmola. just because oyinbo dont know the beauty of Yoruba language
who be dis one?

Make sense nah

3 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Chinagurum1995(m): 11:49pm On Apr 10, 2018
Hmmmm � I remember that time I read that Things fall apart by Chiniua Achebe it was a long time Novel it was a story about Okonkwo who is belog too a village called Umuofia so I remember I was reading Things fall apart by Chiniua Achebe. smiley wink cheesy grin
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Octaves(m): 12:11am On Apr 11, 2018
TheCongo2:
First time I read "Things Fall apart" was in high school.
It was the French translation of it, " Le monde s'effondre" ( The world is collapsing). This is how I got to know about Achebe.
I'd like to get the French translation. so I'll use it to improve my French
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by TheCongo2: 12:20am On Apr 11, 2018
Octaves:
I'd like to get the French translation. so I'll use it to improve my French

That is a good idea.
Where are you located.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by LukeLook: 12:24am On Apr 11, 2018
Do you know how much was paid to the authorities in order to have the book on the list...? mtcheewwww

Some of the fraudsters will start quoting me soon...
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Octaves(m): 12:33am On Apr 11, 2018
TheCongo2:

That is a good idea. Where are you located.
port Harcourt

1 Like

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Nobody: 12:46am On Apr 11, 2018
ZorGBUooeh:

Lols..Walai!I have read those books by WALE OTUNBA NGBATTI..The book sweet die..I like the part he said as FRESH ad WHITE as Jagabans teeth...AMALA as Black as BABA SUWE,ad as GREEN as the EWEDU of OGBOMOSHO cheesy

I don't know why some pipo can't rejoice with igbos for once.
Guy you af kee me with laughter....
Infact come make i give you better drink biko.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by akindlesfarm: 12:52am On Apr 11, 2018
there many Nigerian literature as nice or even better like discovered by the dead, the concubine, passport of mallam ilia etc
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by ImaIma1(f): 12:54am On Apr 11, 2018
So that other man's books didn't make the list with all in investment in big grammar.

It is really not about writing to confuse readers but to communicate and pass the message clearly
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by arinze3131(m): 12:57am On Apr 11, 2018
Achebe was a great writer, that's all I can say.
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Nobody: 1:23am On Apr 11, 2018
Throwback:

Prose, Drama, Poetry.

The top 12 best writers in the world should only be compared other fellows in the top 12.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Ndipe(m): 3:25am On Apr 11, 2018
koladebrainiac:
i LOVE THE Arrow of God more tho

One of my favorite novels is The Arrow of god. Even the late author admitted that it was perhaps his favorite.
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by CSTR1003: 6:15am On Apr 11, 2018
Throwback:

Good you mentioned most read.

But who has read his plays or his poetry?

Which of the theatres around the world has his drama been staged?

Soyinka's work spoke for him and was considered the best literary genius to come out of Africa and awarded the Nobel prize for Literature as the first ever African.

Achebe's stories too have made their mark, but literature has never been about stories only.

If the fans of Achebe were satisfied with his work being most read, they would not continually remind themselves of his inability to have the Nobel prize achievement of Soyinka, by feeling the need to refer to Soyinka on a thread that had no business with Wole Soyinka.
Who has read his story?
Are you kidding me?

Every part of the world.

His book has been translated into more languages than any other African novel.

His novel is a recommended reading for schools in many countries including America.

There is a limit to bigotry. When bigotry makes you to ask stupid questions, then it has become a poisonous trait.

His book has been read in every continent of the world as a symbol of African literature.

No other book comes close. There is a difference between sleep and death .

Someone just got literary knighted as one of the 12 greatest books by the British intelligentsia . A book that is far the most translated book to come out of Africa.

And you are still asking me who has read his book.

It is spirits that read his book .

Ridiculous .

BTW, I already said before that Achebe lost the Nobel due to political reasons when he confronted Joseph Conrad for racist literature ,before writing things fall apart as a response.

The Nobel is just an award. chinua won other awards.

His book has just been listed as the 12 greatest books ever.
His book is the most read African book by Africans and non-africans alike.

That is a far greater honour than the Nobel. That is the test of excellence

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today / Blemished Love By Loudest Thoughts / Chidi Nwaogu, Just Broke A Fresh Guinness World For Longest Credit On A Book

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.