Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,372 members, 7,829,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List (28699 Views)

12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” / Strangest Books Ever Written (photos) / Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by DonDiego(m): 6:34am On Apr 11, 2018
Throwback:

Good you mentioned most read.

But who has read his plays or his poetry?

Which of the theatres around the world has his drama been staged?

Soyinka's work spoke for him and was considered the best literary genius to come out of Africa and awarded the Nobel prize for Literature as the first ever African.

Achebe's stories too have made their mark, but literature has never been about stories only.

If the fans of Achebe were satisfied with his work being most read, they would not continually remind themselves of his inability to have the Nobel prize achievement of Soyinka, by feeling the need to refer to Soyinka on a thread that had no business with Wole Soyinka.

My guy, we all love WS as much as we love CA. These are/were two true giants of the literary game, and both're world class.

Having said that, allow me to dispel a certain ignorance that persists in claiming that CA not winning the Nobel was somehow a reflection of his less than sterling qualities as a writer. He was, of course, nominated for the Prize a number of times but was never going to win because of that his brutal take-down of an essay on Joseph Conrad which had somewhat helped to diminish the late British author's reputation among literary scholars.

Before Achebe's essay on Conrad, the British author had something of an iconic image both among the Brits and in fact the rest of the West. Then, Achebe proceeded with a temerity that was 'unbecoming' of an African to savage one of the West's darling literary savants by pointedly calling him 'a thorough-going bloody racist' in one of all times most referenced literary articles.

Na dat very day Achebe seal im fate forever with the guys in Stockholm. But did the author of TFA, the one writer who wrote as he pleased no matter whose Fulani oxen was gored, care? Not on your life.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by ogbiwa: 6:58am On Apr 11, 2018
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold.

Well I guess this is a list of Greatest Novels and not most popular novels. Cos talking about most popular, Animal farm and Robinson Crusoe have to be there
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Zuluhead(m): 7:10am On Apr 11, 2018
Couldn't win a noble laurent.
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Obdk: 7:14am On Apr 11, 2018
SHAKABOOM:

I agree with yu..Even the 2 greatest books of all times dint make the ipob compiled list OBO IYA OGBOMOSHO ad The fresh breath of JAGABAN.. grin
They really don't know the sweetness in yoruba language..Na Only craze man know the sweetness for im KOLOMENTALITY cheesy

u no well. ur head don go shakaboom..

OBO IYA OGBOMOSHO

baba no get fresh breath oo
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by NwaJozi: 7:18am On Apr 11, 2018
BROTHER BAM LORD
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Obdk: 7:18am On Apr 11, 2018
ZorGBUooeh:

Lols..Walai!I have read those books by WALE OTUNBA NGBATTI..The book sweet die..I like the part he said as FRESH ad WHITE as Jagabans teeth...AMALA as Black as BABA SUWE,ad as GREEN as the EWEDU of OGBOMOSHO cheesy

I don't know why some pipo can't rejoice with igbos for once.

this one don follow go shakaboom
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by gustav25: 7:22am On Apr 11, 2018
Olatara:
Me too. plSsssss
I said mail me
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by DIKEnaWAR: 7:57am On Apr 11, 2018
koladebrainiac:
i LOVE THE Arrow of God more tho

Achebe is a bad ass writer! All his works are classical, but Arrow of God is one novel I have read more than 40x and can't just understand why Achebe chose to destroy Ezeulu's character in the end. Why would a child's palm be scalded by a piece of yam given to him by his elders(in this case gods)?

I understand he has a penchant for tragedy, but Ezeulu does not deserve that from Achebe grin . If it could be argued that the man put his interest in the fight between the gods and elders of Umuaro led by Nwaka, why then did the gods start the fight in the first instance...?

I forgot we are talking about an Achebe, a master , who hurriedly explained it away with the parable of the Lizard who ruined his mother's funeral with his own hands. Ulu became an overzealous and over jealous god, who ended up self destroying alongside his priest.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by ogakizito(m): 8:14am On Apr 11, 2018
I still remember how my literature teacher described and demonstrated the wrestling between Okonkwo and Amalinze the cat... the way he interpreted every novel we studied line by line made me see the beauty and creativity in books.

I would later see the movie and the fight was not as interesting as the one my teacher demonstrated to us. Achebe is a legend. my literature teacher is a legend too

I've gone on to write my own books. check out "stories not told" "A Lone" both written by Kizito Martins and "Trapped" Co written by Lota Dibua... All available on Okadabooks app

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Olatara(f): 8:19am On Apr 11, 2018
gustav25:
I said mail me
I just did
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by koladebrainiac(m): 8:41am On Apr 11, 2018
Lightening:

Wole Soyinka name no near that list sef, yet Afonjeezies keep comparing him with the great Achebe. Shoe dey get sizes. Mcheeew.
lol he is poet tho and he won the master of Literature not the master of story teller bro. story Telling is inside Literature

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Throwback: 8:46am On Apr 11, 2018
CSTR1003:

Who has read his story?
Are you kidding me?

Every part of the world.

His book has been translated into more languages than any other African novel.

His novel is a recommended reading for schools in many countries including America.

There is a limit to bigotry. When bigotry makes you to ask stupid questions, then it has become a poisonous trait.

His book has been read in every continent of the world as a symbol of African literature.

No other book comes close. There is a difference between sleep and death .

Someone just got literary knighted as one of the 12 greatest books by the British intelligentsia . A book that is far the most translated book to come out of Africa.

And you are still asking me who has read his book.

It is spirits that read his book

Ridiculous .

BTW, I already said before that Achebe lost the Nobel due to political reasons when he confronted Joseph Conrad for racist literature ,before writing things fall apart as a response.

The Nobel is just an award. chinua won other awards.

His book has just been listed as the 12 greatest books ever.
His book is the most read African book by Africans and non-africans alike.

That is a far greater honour than the Nobel. That is the test of excellence

Now please reread my post you just quoted and show me where I mentioned the text in bold.

I repeat, who has read his plays or poetry?
In what theatres around the world has his dramas been staged?

Comprehension is really a problem in this part of the world.

That you continue to mention story, is the reason why Achebe will be known as the story teller he limited himself to, while Soyinka will be regarded as a literary genius for which he was accorded the recognition for marking excellent to all the genres of literature.

You talk about bigotry, yet your bigotry did not allow you to comprehend what you have read.

At the end of it all, we will remember Achebe as a story teller - a master of fiction that he was, while we will remember Soyinka as a literary genius and Africa's first to be so distinguished.

There is no greater honour in the literary world than the Nobel prize for Literature. Notable mentions are for those before the Nobel era or those who didn't quite make the cut during the Nobel era.

Your excuse that Achebe was punished for terming a literary icon as propagating racist literature and so not awarded a Nobel prize, is belied by the fact that you are today celebrating a list that was put together by the same "whiteman" society that has recognized him as a story teller.

Of great irony is the fact that Joseph Conrad whom you try to paint as Achebe's nemesis because of his critque, is a celebrated British writer. The same British you have exalted for recognizing Achebe's work.

So choose carefully when you use a yardstick to excuse his lack of a Nobel recognition, but use same yardstick to affirm he was indeed great.

The Encyclopædia Britannica (Latin for "British Encyclopaedia"wink, published by Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., is a general knowledge English-language encyclopaedia. It is written by about 100 full-time editors and more than 4,000 contributors, who have included 110 Nobel Prize winners and five American presidents. The 2010 version of the 15th edition, which spans 32 volumes[1] and 32,640 pages, was the last printed edition; digital content and distribution has continued since then.

See how highly regarded the Nobel prize is. The same Nobel prize Igbos have been trying to rubbish because a Yoruba man dared to be the first African to win it in Literature, while their "un-Nobel" Igbo brother and a contemporary of that Yoruba icon, continues to get notable mentions only.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by mercyville: 8:48am On Apr 11, 2018
Achebe was a great story teller.One of the best in the world.He could have won the Nobel Laureate but Providence...
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Vinstel: 9:24am On Apr 11, 2018
benueguy:

pls what's the name of the movie?
Things fall apart
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by chiedozie198100: 11:12am On Apr 11, 2018
Tohzara:
Soyinka is a Nobel Laureate, while unfortunately Achebe was probably never nominated for the Nobel Prize. grin

Herman Hess
Franz Kafka
Ernest Hemingway
George Bernard Shaw
Robert A. Heinlein
James Joyce

I can't see any of their books on the list. Does that mean Achebe is a more talented writer than the great pen soldiers listed above? You moröns are such delusional idiots. grin

I don't hate Igbos, neither do I hate Achebe, as I consider him a great Nigerian that made the country proud. But the attitude of you guys towards Prof. Wole Soyinka concerning this matter is an insult to hierarchy anywhere in the cosmos.

I'm not hating on Achebe for this honour bestowed on him. Why should I? He's my compatriot, and unlike some people cursed to loathe right from the womb, I wasn't programmed to hate people of other tribes, but knowing that you hate to hear the truth and often feel bitter and frustrated even after the most silent of whispers of it into your ears, I make no apologies for however this makes your delusional self feel.

Prof. Wole Soyinka and Achebe are not in the same league. Get that into your head, and stop fooling yourself. cheesy

name one masterpiece work by your hero prof?
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by mercyville: 11:43am On Apr 11, 2018
CSTR1003:

Who has read his story?
Are you kidding me?

Every part of the world.

His book has been translated into more languages than any other African novel.

His novel is a recommended reading for schools in many countries including America.

There is a limit to bigotry. When bigotry makes you to ask stupid questions, then it has become a poisonous trait.

His book has been read in every continent of the world as a symbol of African literature.

No other book comes close. There is a difference between sleep and death .

Someone just got literary knighted as one of the 12 greatest books by the British intelligentsia . A book that is far the most translated book to come out of Africa.

And you are still asking me who has read his book.

It is spirits that read his book .

Ridiculous .

BTW, I already said before that Achebe lost the Nobel due to political reasons when he confronted Joseph Conrad for racist literature ,before writing things fall apart as a response.

The Nobel is just an award. chinua won other awards.

His book has just been listed as the 12 greatest books ever.
His book is the most read African book by Africans and non-africans alike.

That is a far greater honour than the Nobel. That is the test of excellence
No other award nears the Nobel Laureate.I hope Chima wins it one day just like I hope other Yoruba writers win more too. wink Chinua Achebe too was a great man,a great story teller just like a very good dribbler who cannot score goals.Wole Soyinka is a great man,a great poet and a literary icon too.He did and does not know only how to dribble but a very good scorer.He scored the highest goals in literature which is the Nobel Laureate.There are a. lot of best sellers who would never smell the Nobel Laureate.The world is a funny place.I learnt that the ones that are lazy are mostly the genius because they tend to think more while the less brilliant tend to work more.I thought about the hardworking labourer and the lazy CEO and I smile. grin
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by CSTR1003: 11:52am On Apr 11, 2018
mercyville:
No other award nears the Nobel Laureate.I hope Chima wins it one day just like I hope other Yoruba writers win more too. wink Chinua Achebe too was a great man,a great story teller just like a very good dribbler who cannot score goals.Wole Soyinka is a great man,a great poet and a literary icon too.He did and does not know only how to dribble but a very good scorer.He scored the highest goals in literature which is the Nobel Laureate.There are a. lot of best sellers who would never smell the Nobel Laureate.The world is a funny place.I learnt that the ones that are lazy are mostly the genius because they tend to think more while the less brilliant tend to work more.I thought about the hardworking labourer and the lazy CEO and I smile. grin

What you wrote is a huge pile of nonsense.
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by mercyville: 11:56am On Apr 11, 2018
chiedozie198100:

FROM HARVARD:

Masterpieces of World Literature

Goethe
The Epic of Gilgamesh
Homer, The Odyssey
The 1001 Nights
Voltaire, Candide
Orhan Pamuk, My Name is Red
Wole Soyinka, Death and the King's Horseman
Lu Xun, Diary of a Madman
Eileen Chang
Murasaki Shikibu, The Tale of Genji Jorge
Luis Borges, Ficciones
Salman Rushdie and Jhumpa Lahiri
The Lusiads

https://online-learning.harvard.edu/course/masterpieces-world-literature-1
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by mercyville: 11:58am On Apr 11, 2018
CSTR1003:

What you wrote is a huge pile of nonsense.

Just like the Nobel committee said of everything Chinua Achebe wrote.
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by CSTR1003: 12:03pm On Apr 11, 2018
Throwback:

Now please reread my post you just quoted and show me where I mentioned the text in bold.

I repeat, who has read his plays or poetry?
In what theatres around the world has his dramas been staged?

Comprehension is really a problem in this part of the world.

That you continue to mention story, is the reason why Achebe will be known as the story teller he limited himself to, while Soyinka will be regarded as a literary genius for which he was accorded the recognition for marking excellent to all the genres of literature.

You talk about bigotry, yet your bigotry did not allow you to comprehend what you have read.

At the end of it all, we will remember Achebe as a story teller - a master of fiction that he was, while we will remember Soyinka as a literary genius and Africa's first to be so distinguished.

There is no greater honour in the literary world than the Nobel prize for Literature. Notable mentions are for those before the Nobel era or those who didn't quite make the cut during the Nobel era.

Your excuse that Achebe was punished for terming a literary icon as propagating racist literature and so not awarded a Nobel prize, is belied by the fact that you are today celebrating a list that was put together by the same "whiteman" society that has recognized him as a story teller.

Of great irony is the fact that Joseph Conrad whom you try to paint as Achebe's nemesis because of his critque, is a celebrated British writer. The same British you have exalted for recognizing Achebe's work.

So choose carefully when you use a yardstick to excuse his lack of a Nobel recognition, but use same yardstick to affirm he was indeed great.

See how highly regarded the Nobel prize is. The same Nobel prize Igbos have been trying to rubbish because a Yoruba man dared to be the first African to win it in Literature, while their "un-Nobel" Igbo brother and a contemporary of that Yoruba icon, continues to get notable mentions only.
So Joseph Conrad the man who termed your people as half man half beasts is now your idea of a literary icon? grin
So you honestly believe you are more knowledgeable than Achebe on these matters?

And he is British? And so what?
There are still racists Brits in existence as well as sensible brits.
What does that have to do with anything?

Your argument is very shallow and bigoted. A lot of nonsense.

I did not underestimate the Nobel .It is a prestigious award and wole deserves it.

But when compared to what Achebe achieved in life and death, the Nobel pails into insignificance.

A book has just been nominated as one of the 12 greatest books ever, and adjudged as the greatest novel to come out of a continent.

Any other award is rendered insignificant ,especially when the history of the reason why the author was snubbed of the said award is taken into reckoning.

And the funny thing is that Achebe may yet win the Nobel post -humously, given the way things are going.
But it wouldn't add anything that wasn't there before.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by isalegan2: 12:42pm On Apr 11, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Then watch the movie.

That's fine. But a movie cannot replace a great book. He should Also endeavour to read the book. I've met people from even Guyana who read Things Fall Apart" as teenagers.
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by isalegan2: 12:48pm On Apr 11, 2018
mercyville:

FROM HARVARD:

Masterpieces of World Literature

Goethe
The Epic of Gilgamesh
Homer, The Odyssey
The 1001 Nights
Voltaire, Candide
Orhan Pamuk, My Name is Red
Wole Soyinka, Death and the King's Horseman
Lu Xun, Diary of a Madman
Eileen Chang
Murasaki Shikibu, The Tale of Genji Jorge
Luis Borges, Ficciones
Salman Rushdie and Jhumpa Lahiri
The Lusiads

https://online-learning.harvard.edu/course/masterpieces-world-literature-1

Will check out.
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Tohzara(m): 1:02pm On Apr 11, 2018
chiedozie198100:

I can see you didn't come to this world to use your limited brain for the stupid things it was designed for, but to pontificate on matters beyond your cognitive capacity.

I gave you factual examples of writers who, without any scintillia of doubt, outclass Achebe by a wide margin, but whose books do not make the list. Are we then to imply, by your retärded, illogical logic, that Achebe's works surpass theirs in talent and finesse, and the beauty and sublimity of his art dwarf the elegance of theirs?

Shakespeare doesn't have any of his books on that list. Does he by that fact become a footnote to Achebe? What about Goethe? The bedazzling FAUST pales in literary magnificence when compared to Achebe's THINGS FALL APART?

Wole Soyinka is a Playwright of the most esteemable caliber, who blends poetry with prose in breathtaking, dramatic narratives that put no scorn on the masterful and dexterious story-telling skill of Achebe, but rather establish a distinction between the NARROW and the BROAD. Why not celebrate his achievements without any need for ridiculous comparisons that will only bring you disappointment and disgrace?

Just to indulge your stupidity, I will show you not only a masterpiece, but masterpieceS, by Soyinka who is not just my hero (as you rightly termed it), but the foremost literary hero of Nigeria and Black Africa, not with any intention of curing your self-imposed blindness, but to further magnify the intensity of a mockery you invited, one well-deserved:

The Lion and the Jewel (1959)
A Dance of the Forests (1960)
Kongi's Harvest (1964)
Death and the King's Horsemen (1975)

Die if it pleases you.
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by isalegan2: 1:16pm On Apr 11, 2018
flamingREED:
Have you watched 'six flying dragons', a
Korean historical traditional movie?

Then you've not seen a movie that beats what's in the books.

The suspense is unbelievable.

I love Korean drama (and culture, as it is closer to Yoruba and African tradition than oyinbo ways) but haven't seen much of their historical movies. I will check this out when I'm next ready to spend an inordinate amount of time transfixed to my computer or phone screen. Their movies are so addicting and tend to be episodic.

P.S. You can make a great movie from a great book but a classic work of literature will always stand the test of time even if the movie is a flop. A classic like "To kill a Mockingbird" turned out to yield a very pleasing movie but, truly, there is so much in a book that cannot be fit into a movie, so I still would advice anyone to read a book in its original form to get the full experience.

Some good info in this thread. Thanks, all!
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Throwback: 1:30pm On Apr 11, 2018
CSTR1003:

So Joseph Conrad the man who termed your people as half man half beasts is now your idea of a literary icon? grin
So you honestly believe you are more knowledgeable than Achebe on these matters?

And he is British? And so what?
There are still racists Brits in existence as well as sensible brits.
What does that have to do with anything?

Your argument is very shallow and bigoted. A lot of nonsense.

I did not underestimate the Nobel .It is a prestigious award and wole deserves it.

But when compared to what Achebe achieved in life and death, the Nobel pails into insignificance.

A book has just been nominated as one of the 12 greatest books ever, and adjudged as the greatest novel to come out of a continent.

Any other award is rendered insignificant ,especially when the history of the reason why the author was snubbed of the said award is taken into reckoning.

And the funny thing is that Achebe may yet win the Nobel post -humously, given the way things are going.
But it wouldn't add anything that wasn't there before.

So Joseph Conrad is not a literary icon, because Achebe said so?

What manner of delusion is this.

Who are you to decide who is a literary icon in a field that had given recognitions to whom it was due before the world even knew African writers/playwrights/poets?

Go to the literary world and Britain, and go tell them that Joseph Conrad was a nobody, because you are the one to decide who is who.

So Achebe is the standard for who qualifies as a racist or a literary icon? You must be suffering from arrogance to think there is an Achebe standard to be passed before the world can recognize those who came before Achebe or those who have come after him.

Why didn't same Achebe dream himself a Nobel prize, and awake to find one on his bed?

Are you not the one who exalted the fact that Achebe's mention was in a list drafted by British Intelligentsia?
Did you not use that to validate that Achebe was indeed great because he has been regarded by the British? So why the sudden feeling of superiority when you had previously betrayed an inferiority to the British?

Like I already opined, you cannot use a British/European yardstick as excuse for why Achebe did not get a Nobel in his lifetime, only to use the same British/European yardstick to validate that Achebe was indeed great.

Let Achebe win it, and finally catchup to Wole Soyinka. It is only just that a man who said the Igbos managed to catch up with Yorubas, should also catchup individually to his Yoruba contemporary, decades later.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by CSTR1003: 1:33pm On Apr 11, 2018
Throwback:

So Joseph Conrad is not a literary icon, because Achebe said so?

What manner of delusion is this.

Who are you to decide who is a literary icon in a field that had given recognitions to whom it was due before the world even knew African writers/playwrights/poets?

Go to the literary world and Britain, and go tell them that Joseph Conrad was a nobody, because you are the one to decide who is who.
A literary icon whose claim to glory was a lie. A lie that Africans such as you were half man half beasts.
And due to the social terrain of Europe at that time, he was applauded.

In this current dispensation, he would be seen as an ignorant mad racist .
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by flamingREED(m): 1:41pm On Apr 11, 2018
isalegan2:

I love Korean drama (and culture, as it is closer to Yoruba and African tradition than oyinbo ways) but haven't seen much of their historical movies. I will check this out when I'm next ready to spend an inordinate amount of time transfixed to my computer or phone screen. Their movies are so addicting and tend to be episodic.

P.S. You can make a great movie from a great book but a classic work of literature will always stand the test of time even if the movie is a flop. A classic like "To kill a Mockingbird" turned out to yield a very pleasing movie but, truly, there is so much in a book that cannot be fit into a movie, so I still would advice anyone to read a book in its original form to get the full experience.

Some good info in this thread. Thanks, all!
Yeah. But we soon forget what the books say.
I remember devouring Treasure Island (the heritage of literature) back then with great passion,
But what great moral in it can I recall now?
It's a picture to a thousand words and the perceptive equation is still not balanced.
Take care.
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by CSTR1003: 1:49pm On Apr 11, 2018
He is one of the best writers to ever live. It is even more impressive that he wrote in English which was not his native language. His writing has introduced many of us to non-Western culture. He helped to humanize African people which is important because many Europeans, like Conrad and Kipling, did the exact opposite mostly to further the prevailing imperialistic attitudes of the time.

Jeff Wilson

https://www.quora.com/What-is-so-great-about-Chinua-Achebe
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Olatara(f): 4:16pm On Apr 11, 2018
gustav25:
I said mail me
Thanks
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by chiedozie198100: 7:14pm On Apr 11, 2018
Tohzara:
I can see you didn't come to this world to use your limited brain for the stupid things it was designed for, but to pontificate on matters beyond your cognitive capacity.

I gave you factual examples of writers who, without any scintillia of doubt, outclass Achebe by a wide margin, but whose books do not make the list. Are we then to imply, by your retärded, illogical logic, that Achebe's works surpass theirs in talent and finesse, and the beauty and sublimity of his art dwarf the elegance of theirs?

Shakespeare doesn't have any of his books on that list. Does he by that fact become a footnote to Achebe? What about Goethe? The bedazzling FAUST pales in literary magnificence when compared to Achebe's THINGS FALL APART?

Wole Soyinka is a Playwright of the most esteemable caliber, who blends poetry with prose in breathtaking, dramatic narratives that put no scorn on the masterful and dexterious story-telling skill of Achebe, but rather establish a distinction between the NARROW and the BROAD. Why not celebrate his achievements without any need for ridiculous comparisons that will only bring you disappointment and disgrace?

Just to indulge your stupidity, I will show you not only a masterpiece, but masterpieceS, by Soyinka who is not just my hero (as you rightly termed it), but the foremost literary hero of Nigeria and Black Africa, not with any intention of curing your self-imposed blindness, but to further magnify the intensity of a mockery you invited, one well-deserved:

The Lion and the Jewel (1959)
A Dance of the Forests (1960)
Kongi's Harvest (1964)
Death and the King's Horsemen (1975)

Die if it pleases you.

Maybe no one told you. Most Soyinka books are adaptations of European writings.

I'm sure your limited perception of reality will prevent you from comprehending this.
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Tohzara(m): 9:27pm On Apr 11, 2018
chiedozie198100:

Maybe no one told you. Most Soyinka books are adaptations of European writings.

I'm sure your limited perception of reality will prevent you from comprehending this.
OK.
Re: Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List by Aceed: 10:06pm On Apr 12, 2018
flamingREED:
Have you watched 'six flying dragons', a
Korean historical traditional movie?

Then you've not seen a movie that beats what's in the books.

The suspense is unbelievable.

Guy abeg I need dload site for this film...

DATA FRIENDLY DLOAD OOO shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today / Blemished Love By Loudest Thoughts / Chidi Nwaogu, Just Broke A Fresh Guinness World For Longest Credit On A Book

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.