Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,270 members, 7,811,788 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:31 PM

12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” (33229 Views)

Strangest Books Ever Written (photos) / List Your Top Five Greatest Books / Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Okolo3662(m): 8:48am On Oct 27, 2023
1. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
2. To Kill A Mockingbird By Harper Lee. Hardcover book first published July 11, 1960. Novel won 1961 Pulitzer Prize. Later made into an Academy Award winning film.
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
4. One Hundred Years of Solitude Garcia Marquez, 1982.
5. A Passage to India by E.M. Forster.
6. Things Fall Apart by Chinualumogu Achebe.
7. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.
8. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.
9. Beloved by Toni Morrison
10. Mrs Dalloway by Vagina Wolf.
11. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
12. The purple color by Alice Walker.

78 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by viyon02: 9:07am On Oct 27, 2023
Achebe my man

176 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by LordIsaac(m): 11:01am On Oct 27, 2023
I’ll stay with Sidney Sheldon and the Bronte’s anytime.😊

100 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Authoreety: 11:35am On Oct 27, 2023
Achebe really did a lot in putting Nigeria 🇳🇬 in the limelight

237 Likes 22 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by EmperorCaesar(m): 11:46am On Oct 27, 2023
Shakespeare books no even dey here

Went to quora to read up on this and they are there arguing about mark twain, ralph emerson but for here, even achebe dey ahead of Williams shakespeare cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

108 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by EmperorCaesar(m): 11:48am On Oct 27, 2023
Authoreety:

Something shakespeare couldnt do for England

If u believe an Achebe books will ever be rated above that of Williams, omo, u must believe dragons once existed cheesy cheesy

141 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by udede(m): 12:19pm On Oct 27, 2023
EmperorCaesar:

If u believe an Achebe books will ever be rated above that of Williams, omo, u must believe dragons once existed cheesy cheesy
leave tribalism aside, you have not read things fall apart by Achebe

184 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Weretuntun: 12:29pm On Oct 27, 2023
I JUST WASTED MY MONEY TO BUY THE INVISIBL MAN,VERY LONG AND BORING.

11 Likes

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by EmperorCaesar(m): 12:34pm On Oct 27, 2023
udede:

Do u even know my tribe or am I a citizen of England?

I never talked down on Achebe's works, I only stated what i saw on Quora and what other literary institutions think about Williams works

Not even the Greek could boast of such a great writer that can rival Williams despite their advance years of civilization over England. I would be cool with Achebe ranking by williams side but not above him

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by 9jaBloke: 1:03pm On Oct 27, 2023
Virginia Woolf

For those disputing the inclusion of Things Fall Apart, this list is actually from a reputable British website: britannica.com

https://www.britannica.com/list/12-novels-considered-the-greatest-book-ever-written

I wonder why the OP didn't state the source.

Things Fall Apart is more than just a novel written by a Nigerian. You need to understand the literary significance and impact on African literature.

One of the first African novels to receive global critical acclaim. It is widely read and studied in English-speaking countries around the world. The novel was first published in the United Kingdom in 1962 by William Heinemann Limited, and became the first work published in Heinemann's African Writers Series (most of which I binge-read).

It is regarded as a milestone in Anglophone African literature, and for the perception of African literature in the West. It has come to be seen as the archetypal modern African novel in English, and is read in Nigeria and throughout Africa.

It is studied widely in Europe, India, and North America, where it has spawned numerous secondary and tertiary analytical works. It has achieved similar status and repute in Australia and Oceania.

It has sold more than 20 million copies worldwide. Time magazine included the novel in its TIME 100 Best English-language Novels from 1923 to 2005. It has been translated into more than 50 languages, and is often used in literature, world history, and African studies courses across the world.

The publication of Achebe's Things Fall Apart helped pave the way for numerous other African writers. Novelists who published after Achebe were able to find an eloquent and effective mode for the expression of the particular social, historical, and cultural situation of modern Africa.

Before Things Fall Apart was published, most of the novels about Africa had been written by European authors, portraying Africans as savages who were in need of western enlightenment.

This book helped convince the world that African Writers have something to offer and publishers paid attention.

The comment below is needless.
Wole Soyinka is one of the greatest literary icons in the world and last time I checked, he is still the only Nigerian with the Nobel prize in Literature. Rare feat!

adolfHitler1934:
He wrote "Pirates of The Sea Dogs" How to become a Cultist.

Foolish overrated Professor.

Achebe & Soyinka were founding members of Ulli Beier's Mbari Club, together with J.P Clark, Chris Okigbo, Demas, Mabel and Pa Bruce Onobrakpeya and they all maintained maximum respect for one another.

It's sad to see this generation of youngsters, most of who do not know literary s**t from chocolate denigrate their legacy.

It's high time we switched off our tribal antennae

106 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by jamesversion: 3:00pm On Oct 27, 2023
What books did Wole Soyinka even write that even one of them cannot feature in world greatest books? undecided

35 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by jamesversion: 3:03pm On Oct 27, 2023
Authoreety:

Prior to Things Fall Apart, every books about Africans and their way of life was written by Europeans who portrayed Africans as Savages or Subhuman species.

67 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by jamesversion: 3:05pm On Oct 27, 2023
The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Saintdan0421(m): 3:12pm On Oct 27, 2023
Weretuntun:
I JUST WASTED MY MONEY TO BUY THE INVISIBL MAN,VERY LONG AND BORING.

Lol, no knowledge is wasted.
I think it has a movie.

6 Likes

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by CJStarz: 3:13pm On Oct 27, 2023
I no see Wole Soyinka's name there o

Okolo3662:
2. To Kill A Mockingbird By Harper Lee. Hardcover book first published July 11, 1960. Novel won 1961 Pulitzer Prize. Later made into an Academy Award winning film.

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by CJStarz: 3:14pm On Oct 27, 2023
udede:

That was a classic. An African story through the eyes of an African

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by whippersnapper(m): 3:48pm On Oct 27, 2023
EmperorCaesar:

the said novels not dramatic texts. Can you mention any novel Shakespeare wrote

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by brain54(m): 6:07pm On Oct 27, 2023
I have only read about 6 from this list…

But who made them the greatest?

What was the criteria used for selecting them and making them the greatest?

Personally I have read some really good books… some by relatively “unknown “ authors.

There are Books I would pick anytime and any day over the ones listed here as greatest…

… at least the 6 I have read from the list!

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by TKVick(m): 6:45pm On Oct 27, 2023
This are my top 5 1. War and peace by leo tolsoy 2. The first blade trilogy. 3. The da vinci code by dan brown. 4.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Ishilove: 7:01pm On Oct 27, 2023
Okolo3662:
Virginia Woolf.

Stop being mischievous

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Nobody: 7:13pm On Oct 27, 2023
There is power in writing 😁

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Jokerman(m): 7:13pm On Oct 27, 2023
Where is Milton's Paradise lost?

5 Likes

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Nazgul: 7:13pm On Oct 27, 2023
I've read the invisible Man. Even things fall apart that was written by our own Nigeria author, I haven't read it. I've only watched the TV show.

Another book I feel should be on that list is Oliver twist by Charles Dickens. It's a very good novel.

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by socialmediaman: 7:13pm On Oct 27, 2023
Things fall Apart.

At least Nigeria is known for something good despite the efforts of a Chicago heroin trafficker, certificate forger and election fraudster, to destroy what’s remaining of it

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Jahzrockballer(m): 7:13pm On Oct 27, 2023
ok
Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Unbiased1: 7:14pm On Oct 27, 2023
Una wey dey read books dry try oo. I don't even know anybody in this list except Achebe and that's because his name is popular in Nigeria. At least a Nigerian book is in the list cool

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by alfredilly: 7:14pm On Oct 27, 2023
Who or which body is credited with this rating or is it just the OP opinion? Well, Leo Tolstoy is a legend given how brilliant writer quote him profusely, though I've never read any of his work.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by datola: 7:14pm On Oct 27, 2023
Hmmm... Where did you get the information from?

Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart deserves it even though Things Are No Longer At Ease

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by Mandate2023: 7:14pm On Oct 27, 2023
The dead beat achebe has done well for his ppl😂😂😂😂😂

3 Likes

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by netpro(m): 7:14pm On Oct 27, 2023
Will add to my reading list

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by chieveboy(m): 7:15pm On Oct 27, 2023
Ishilove:

Virginia Woolf.

Stop being mischievous

Of all things to see... cool

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Novels Considered The “Greatest Books Ever Written” by DinaDesign: 7:15pm On Oct 27, 2023

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Abdulrazak Gurnah Wins 2021 Nobel Prize In Literature / That Night In My Best Friend’s Bed (18+) / Chinua Achebe Branded Vehicles Spotted In Uganda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.