Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,829 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:11 AM

Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures (12782 Views)

UNIMAID Students Protest Fees Hike(pictures) / Baze Uni Throws Out 185 Amnesty Students Over Tuition During Exams / Students Shutdown Polytechnic Ibadan, Lock Lecturers Out Over Tuition, Portal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by seankay(m): 6:46pm On Apr 10, 2018
AnonyNymous:

Though I'm privileged enough to attend a private university, you're right, tbh. In the United States a single student pays thousands to go to school! For example, $28,000+ per year to the University of California, Berkeley! Some pay much more than that. And we wonder why our universities are nowhere near the top when compared with the rest of the world. Universities need funding. Its also a reason why about 70% of their adult population, according to Senator Rick Santorum (in the 2015**) aren't University educated.

But then again, I don't know if I can say all these apply to Nigeria because the average income is well below the poverty line. So should we say University education is only for the rich? (Dollar to Naira, most 'rich' working class Nigerians are in the middle class abroad).

While your point about the cost of education in the US is correct, you should also note that financial aids in terms of loan, scholarships, grants and all are available to their students. A student can go through college without paying a dime but will pay back in installment for about 10 years when he starts working full time. An average American student while in college own a car and have a job. You are not even guaranteed a job after spending million in Nigeria. Government should provide jobs and create a business thriving atmosphere in Nigeria before thinking of hiking the tuition fee.

1 Like

Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by yemi15(m): 6:46pm On Apr 10, 2018
fixedhollies:
do yourself a favour and study Finland Education System. D best in the world! Free from Primary to post graduate.

Germany too
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by fixedhollies(m): 6:55pm On Apr 10, 2018
yemi15:

Germany too
yea... we should learn and follow good countries than for us to be mentioning bad examples. If two parents who are civil servants cannot send their two children up to University. Haba... Our coming generations will not pray 4 us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by fixedhollies(m): 6:59pm On Apr 10, 2018
seankay:

While your point about the cost of education in the US is correct, you should also note that financial aids in terms of loan, scholarships, grants and all are available to their students. A student can go through college without paying a dime but will pay back in installment for about 10 years when he starts working full time. An average American student while in college own a car and have a job. You are not even guaranteed a job after spending million in Nigeria. Government should provide jobs and create a business thriving atmosphere in Nigeria before thinking of hiking the tuition fee.
Thank you... Nigerians seek for Technological advancement but neglects the role education can play! Ordinary Zimbabwe has better education system.
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by kidneystones(m): 7:20pm On Apr 10, 2018
olatunjithomas:

after ijomimo junction... going to towards iyeoma plaza, Alagbaka.... That white building in the first pics use to be WEMA BANK (still is).... I'm in Lagos too... oti pe gann.

Thug ... Where in lag ,??
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by Nobody: 7:46pm On Apr 10, 2018
seankay:

You're not guaranteed a job when you graduate from a US university either. Some Harvard graduates end up as Uber drivers.

As at 2014, the total student debt profile Nigeria.ut $1.3 TRILLION dollars in the United States. They don't 'pay it off' in ten years. Most spend all their lives paying it off- and the interest keeps accumulating. I don't think anyone in Nigeria would want to start that kind of loan system here. The special grants, scholarships, etc are awarded to the extremely smart- same as Nigeria.
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by adesamix(m): 8:55pm On Apr 10, 2018
ultron12345:
and do you know the amount of heavy taxes they pay over there. If such taxes are charged in Nigeria, u will b d first to start insulting buhari, saying he wants to suffer the common man. Quality education is expensive and must be paid for, either by high fees or high taxes. Also, their population is far less than ours.
have u been there? u will see what they are using taxes 4 when u get there.
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by Charly68: 9:01pm On Apr 10, 2018
So this is what Aketi came to offer his people..it is highly inconceivable that a man who ascended to power on progressive platform has turned himself to a taskmaster..how many farmers or artisans can pay the exorbitant school fees he wants the students to pay..
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by jaychubi: 9:01pm On Apr 10, 2018
fixedhollies:
do yourself a favour and study Finland Education System. D best in the world! Free from Primary to post graduate.

We are in Nigeria, why not move to Finland no one is stopping u
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by Nobody: 9:01pm On Apr 10, 2018
fixedhollies:
check government allocation for education? Where is Nigeria channeling her energy? Finland did not just start a day! 4get their small number! What the Nation gives into her education is much more than what Nigeria budgets... what Malaysia gives is also more. Our government see education as a burden! If they can't manage it let them close all their schools!

In Finland, no room for private schools. If you create one... it must be free and government subsidies. Betters laws are in place.
Corruption is the root of the whole thing.
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by Whyke141: 9:06pm On Apr 10, 2018
THE ANGLES OF MANAGEMENT'S EXPLOITATION, UNION'S INEPTITUDE AND STUDENT'S PANIC.
•••

In the opinion of John Stuart Mill "...there are many truth of which the full meaning cannot be realized until personal experience has brought it home". These are certainly the words in which students who now go through uncongenial conditions, a corollary of assuming the acute portion of in a triangular environment that is supposed to benefit them in a manner of speaking, now finds expression. For those who know the politics well enough knows the other two angles are the corners for the Student Union Government and Management/Government.

Now more than ever is the man on the campus street not only aware of this inequalateral triangle, but knows it features are that of exploitation, ineptitude and panic; a state of mad confusion. Interestingly unfortunate, Management/Government exploitation as assumed normalcy in the historical development of this triangle. And so, the focus of the average student must be turned towards the SUG(the defender of his interest).

Whatever bedevils the defender of the student's interest is none other than the evil forces of INTEREST and FEAR,  which is in tandem with the opinion of Napoleon Bonaparte who said "...men are moved by two levers only; fear and self interest". An example in history where the Interest factor played out was the height of intellectual anorectism exhibited by Kenneth Hembe, one time NANS president in 2005,  who used the platform in promoting the third term bid of General Olusegun Obasanjo.

Secondly, the FEAR factor can or is better explained by folks who must pay irrational increment in tuition fee and other charges amidst articulate and constructive reasons why they shouldn't. This is all because the the Student Union folks ain't up to task to challenge appropriate authorities. Too bad the meeting point for justifying this inactions is that in the end, it is going to be their funeral not yours if they had acted.

These are times that try men souls for all those caught up in this inequalateral triangle across the country. Late Musician,  Dobie Gray says he would drift away with rhythm of rock and roll at that point of confusion. Over time, my job has been to trigger this issues and whatever  you do with the information you have remains your sole right, hoping you student folks drift away with something that keeps you sane amidst this state of panic.

WRITTEN BY: OHIAFI CHRISTOPHER.

Source���
http://www.whykeanthology.com/2018/04/the-angles-of-managements-exploitation.html?m=1
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by fixedhollies(m): 9:17pm On Apr 10, 2018
jaychubi:

We are in Nigeria, why not move to Finland no one is stopping u
Tell me Nigeria doesn't have d resources. People like you have yielded mind that it should continue d way it is... no iota of hope. So when people demand for their right it pains u! If u are rich... remember more than half of Nigerias population spend less than $3 a day!

When people are holding their leaders for somethings... it's better you keep quiet than saying something else!
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by ultron12345: 9:20pm On Apr 10, 2018
fixedhollies:
which tax? Civil servants pay tax! In Finland, Education is a human right! If a nation refuses to educate her citizens such a nation will regret it. Those nations u are mentioning, their basic education is sufficient to produce educated citizens. Alas Nigerias Education can't do that... only few Private schools can deliver such. There are many things to check out... Our education system is not good, government at all levels should invest first in it b4 increasing such fees! A nation that gives 6 percent of her budget to education! What should take bigger budget than education? It is obvious Nigeria do not view education as investment for her citizens!
how much tax do Nigerians pay, is that one tax, how many even pay. Nigeria has a tax to GDP ratio of abt 4% while Finland is almost at 49%. U.S that still charges far more for education has it tax to GDP ratio at about 29%. Nigeria has the lowest yet it's the cheapest and the people still expect quality education. It's not possible. You say government should invest, where should they get d money to invest, or is it sand they will invest. If the government didn't have to overstretch scarce resources, I'm sure they would have been able to adequately fund primary education, but certainly not tertiary education.

Should the whole budget be spent on education. For Nigerian universities to b adequately funded, they need N3 trillion according to ASUU and FG, for universities alone o, not polytechnics, not primary schools, just universities. So u expect d country to just take out 3 trillion out of our 8 trillion Naira budget for education, power nko, roads nko, health nko, salaries nko.
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by ultron12345: 9:24pm On Apr 10, 2018
adesamix:
have u been there? u will see what they are using taxes 4 when u get there.
and how much tax do Nigerians pay. Do they even pay tax. Nigeria's tax to GDP ratio is 4% while Finland is almost at 49% and you still dare to compare both.
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by ultron12345: 9:26pm On Apr 10, 2018
fixedhollies:
yea... we should learn and follow good countries than for us to be mentioning bad examples. If two parents who are civil servants cannot send their two children up to University. Haba... Our coming generations will not pray 4 us.
no problem, let us hike up our taxes till we get a tax to GDP of 49%. Only then do you have the right to compare Nigeria to those countries.
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by jaychubi: 9:31pm On Apr 10, 2018
fixedhollies:
Tell me Nigeria doesn't have d resources. People like you have yielded mind that it should continue d way it is... no iota of hope. So when people demand for their right it pains u! If u are rich... remember more than half of Nigerias population spend less than $3 a day!

When people are holding their leaders for somethings... it's better you keep quiet than saying something else!

U r not making any sense

Every one must not go to higher institution go n learn hand work or a trade if u can't afford it.

Higher education should be at least 250k in Nigeria to improve quality of graduates n reduce quantity of graduates. Others shld learn hand work
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by vaxx: 9:55pm On Apr 10, 2018
AnonyNymous:

Though I'm privileged enough to attend a private university, you're right, tbh. In the United States a single student pays thousands to go to school! For example, $28,000+ per year to the University of California, Berkeley! Some pay much more than that. And we wonder why our universities are nowhere near the top when compared with the rest of the world. Universities need funding. Its also a reason why about 70% of their adult population, according to Senator Rick Santorum (in the 2015**) aren't University educated.

But then again, I don't know if I can say all these apply to Nigeria because the average income is well below the poverty line. So should we say University education is only for the rich? (Dollar to Naira, most 'rich' working class Nigerians are in the middle class abroad).
In all honesty, education in the USA is dammn expensive to her citizens. what is the purpose of paying up to 20 to 30 thousand dollars just for a degree that can still be gotten for free in country that offer similarity such as Germany. To me America got it wrong in education sector . the money that should be spent on education is channel toward military. i DO NOT THINK SUCH A COUNTRY IS INTERESTED IN EDUCATING HER CITIZENS, SHE IS SO MUCH CONCERN ABOUT LOOTING THEM.

Take for instance, Germany spends about $ 49 bn on defence. The US spends $ 640 bn on defence, which is 13 times as much, although it only has four times the population. Total spending on higher education in Germany is about $ 37 bn. If the US spent only four times as much on defence as Germany (about $ 200 bn), the money it would have left over ($ 440 bn) would pay for all German higher education 12 times over.
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by lereinter(m): 10:37pm On Apr 10, 2018
jaychubi:
grin
Mumu students

180 k is still cheap bc it can't pay school fees for good nursery and primary schools in Nigeria.

Everyone must not go to school, if u can't afford it go and learn hand work.

For me no tertiary institution shld charge anything less than 250k per year so as to improve quality.

Quote me to talk trash n die a shameful death this month

#mumustudents

will u die a peaceful death this month
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by BabangidaHamza(m): 12:42am On Apr 11, 2018
jaychubi:
grin
Mumu students

180 k is still cheap bc it can't pay school fees for good nursery and primary schools in Nigeria.

Everyone must not go to school, if u can't afford it go and learn hand work.

For me no tertiary institution shld charge anything less than 250k per year so as to improve quality.

Quote me to talk trash n die a shameful death this month

#mumustudents
That's the bitter truth my friend.. My registration fees and accommodation fees is N41,301.50k.. It's far far to cheap even though if the price in been increased I will struggle to pay for it.. You can't pay less than $60 for tuition fee and expect services of $20,000? Does that make sense? Let's a spade be called a spade!!

1 Like

Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by Gistforme(m): 12:44am On Apr 11, 2018
I just laugh at how some people reason with their mental faculty imagine 1 saying 180k is small RUBBISH STATEMENT! pls u r comparing U.S education with ours here abi okay let say 1 dollar equals 1 naira will $20000 nt equal to #20000. See d rate of our money is different have u ever seen an american complaining dat his/her skul fee is high HELL NO! . Again u cant compare d opportunity available 4 their graduate wth ours abi hw can i pay millions 4 skullng and whn am tru i cant get a job worth more dan d skulling expenses. Believe me most americans dnt trully believe in skulling like dat bt here they ve made us believe without skul u cant be successful i tink we have to make dis anoda topic. American and dere counterparts believe in their skill... Like mr akeredolu said nd i quote your 20000 cant buy a shoe abeg whose shoe d student or they
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by newslifeop: 1:24am On Apr 11, 2018
oh
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by Femmedy: 5:43am On Apr 11, 2018
You have the most valid and straightforward point.

seankay:

Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by fixedhollies(m): 6:56am On Apr 11, 2018
jaychubi:

U r not making any sense

Every one must not go to higher institution go n learn hand work or a trade if u can't afford it.

Higher education should be at least 250k in Nigeria to improve quality of graduates n reduce quantity of graduates. Others shld learn hand work

Bros na you make sense... what makes you feel higher education should cost 250k? Can a civil servant who earn 18k save that in a year? make I ask u a question... of what benefit is your Nigerian citizenship? What has d government offered to you as a person? You are only occupying space! D education isn't free, at least d students have been paying b4... what will be d difference btw State owned school and private schools... if government cannot subsidize her education... there is no reason getting into it... one of d aims of govt sch is to make education affordable.
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by fixedhollies(m): 7:15am On Apr 11, 2018
What Nigeria spends on maintaining Democracy can give us free higher education... It will shock you to know that after Akeredolus tenure that he will be able to build a University and pay d schools workforce

Failed government at all levels!
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by jaychubi: 7:39am On Apr 11, 2018
fixedhollies:

Bros na you make sense... what makes you feel higher education should cost 250k? Can a civil servant who earn 18k save that in a year? make I ask u a question... of what benefit is your Nigerian citizenship? What has d government offered to you as a person? You are only occupying space! D education isn't free, at least d students have been paying b4... what will be d difference btw State owned school and private schools... if government cannot subsidize her education... there is no reason getting into it... one of d aims of govt sch is to make education affordable.

Higher education is not compulsory
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by fixedhollies(m): 8:58am On Apr 11, 2018
jaychubi:

Higher education is not compulsory
let's scrap it then... rather than limiting it to a few!
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by olatunjithomas(m): 9:04am On Apr 11, 2018
kidneystones:

Thug ... Where in lag ,??
Medina estate... Gbagada.
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by squadron: 9:15am On Apr 11, 2018
some people don dey craze for here.
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by manbayu(m): 10:36am On Apr 11, 2018
Every intellect who has spoken on this issue has all spoken well, after going thru all the comments I think it's right to say Nigeria has gotten it wrong from on set.

We were programmed with d mentality that we can't make in life without Education.

Those saying our tuition fee is too small to enhance the quality of Education we are receiving might be right but let me remind you that we have Private institutions and Govt institutions be it Federal or State. Let's leave d high tuition fee for the Privates while the govt ones are in place to make education affordable for the under privilege.

In the US, not in all schools you pay high tuition fee and they have educational standard for all schools which must be met before they can become operational. There are also cases where one might dream of schooling in a specific school where tuition fee is considered high, d schools still makes it affordable in many area such as:
* School and work in d campus
* Loan
* Scholarship
Many student are on different scholarship, some as a result of their activeness in sport, drama, IQ, dance and so on.

The truth is that, how can our minimum wage be 18k, what do u do with 18k. Our structure has put it all in place, so for someone receiving 80k as salary, it is not a bad thing if such person is paying 20k for tuition fee of his or her ward to be able to get that QUALITY EDUCATION.

On establishment of any institution be it Govt or private, there should be a STANDARD. There might be difference in social life and some other areas but ACADEMIC STANDARD should be dsame.

Thanks for taking ur time to read thru, am not saying am right but am simply speaking from my point of view.
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by jaychubi: 10:40am On Apr 11, 2018
fixedhollies:
let's scrap it then... rather than limiting it to a few!

D only thing Government can do is to offer scholarship to some people
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures by seankay(m): 1:37pm On Apr 11, 2018
AnonyNymous:

You're not guaranteed a job when you graduate from a US university either. Some Harvard graduates end up as Uber drivers.

As at 2014, the total student debt profile Nigeria.ut $1.3 TRILLION dollars in the United States. They don't 'pay it off' in ten years. Most spend all their lives paying it off- and the interest keeps accumulating. I don't think anyone in Nigeria would want to start that kind of loan system here. The special grants, scholarships, etc are awarded to the extremely smart- same as Nigeria.

Uber drivers in America live a comfortable life. They make good money from that. They can also have 2 to 3 Jobs at the same time.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Check Fed Poly Ilaro Semester Results Online / World’s Most Expensive Selfie: This Picture Is Worth $143 BILLION (LOOK) / 20 Bag First Class As Law School Graduates 4,350

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.