Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,245 members, 7,811,688 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:18 PM

Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? (6816 Views)

Young Widows Open Up On Their Life And Séx / Akwa-Ibom Outlaws Drinking Of Corpse Bath-water By Widows / The Plight Of Nigerian Widows. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by firebrand: 11:04am On May 13, 2010
There seems to be more widows than widowers in virtually all communities around the globe. What is worrisome is that women tends to live longer than there men counterpart. I know that men used to live longer than women in those old Bible days. But the trends has changed now. What could be reason. Is there any spiritual attachement to this or modernisation is taking its toll on men by reducing there livespan. Lets have your own reason or disagreement.
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by harakiri(m): 1:47pm On May 13, 2010
firebrand:

There seems to be more widows than widowers in virtually all communities around the globe. What is worrisome is that women tends to live longer than there men counterpart. I know that men used to live longer than women in those old Bible days. But the trends has changed now. What could be reason. Is there any spiritual attachement to this or modernisation is taking  its toll on men by reducing there livespan. Lets have your own reason or disagreement.

I used to ponder about this issue in the past and i came up with the following conclusions :

(1)Men of today's world are under more stress factors than their predecessors.

(2)The demands expected from a family man today would have been considered bizarre back in those days.There is more emphasis on "love", compatibility, the woman's needs (emotional and financial), setting up a bright future for the children , the western media's bastardization of what the "ideal" relationship should be hence brain washed couples who feel their relationship doesn't measure up to what they see on TV and magazines end up in seperation or divorce.

(3)The food and beverages being ingested today do more harm than good to the body.Back in the old days, they ate more fresh food,fruit and vegetables.Today, everything comes in cans and pre-packaged dinners which you warm up in a microwave that has been proven to cause cancer.Smoking and drinking is more common place than it used to be.

(4)Economic recessions/meltdowns/depressions cause a lot of people to be without work for periods of time and considering the fact that the world's population is blowing up at an exponential rate, it's hard to find jobs unlike in the old days,

Nuff said!
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by agathamari(f): 6:08pm On May 13, 2010
or you could look at it realisticly. the bible and all other religious texts are little more then a book of fables, old stories and rules set out by men. humans are animals and for the most part female animals live longer then male. carnivore, herbavore or omnivore matters not. if it was because of strees, the food we eat or any other modern intervention our life expectancies would be going down which they are not. infact the more developed a country the longer its life expectancy, the more primative the culture the lower thier overall life expectancy.
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by eddy1977(m): 1:47am On May 14, 2010
thankx agathamari;I agree with your analysis.

even from conception,male spe_rms die quicker than female s_perms. may be because man was created before the woman,therefore it is only logical for man to kiss the grave before the woman.
or may be because most men use their brains more than women. I dont know.
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by cpatra(f): 3:16am On May 14, 2010
From Islamic point of view, when a man (Senator Yerima) married 4 wives, his death alone will make 4 women widows, but if one of his wives dies, will u call him a widower?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by Shinatu: 11:08am On May 14, 2010
My analysis.

Men have always been more exposed to the dangers of life due to the fact that they move around to provide for the family, so they travel more and take more dangerous jobs.

I do not know where you got the idea that women died earlier in biblical times from but from what I know, men were the ones going to wars so they died more, except for the issue of maternal mortality which gets better as times
go on.

A great percentage of Widowers  get married in no time after the death of their wives because the society(African) is more supportive of that so they loose their 'widower' status, while a great percentage of widows stay single, catering for the children for the rest of their lives so you see them all around struggling to make ends meet.
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by blank(f): 3:35pm On May 19, 2010
cpatra:

From Islamic point of view, when a man (Senator Yerima) married 4 wives, his death alone will make 4 women widows, but if one of his wives dies, will u call him a widower?
grin grin grin grin

You dey find trouble.
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by Sissy3(f): 3:09am On May 21, 2010
many reasons including the fact that 9 and half out 10  women marry men who are older than them putting them at a greater chance of being a widow
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by femmy2010(m): 3:11pm On May 21, 2010
THE MEN TAKE UP MORE OF THE ACCIDENT PRONE JOBS THAN WOMEN AND THEY DO MORE ERE IPA THAN THE FEMALES.
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by blank(f): 6:22pm On May 21, 2010
femmy2010:

THE MEN TAKE UP MORE OF THE ACCIDENT PRONE JOBS THAN WOMEN AND THEY DO MORE ERE IPA THAN THE FEMALES.

What is Ere Ipa?
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by femmy2010(m): 7:10pm On May 21, 2010
THEY TAKE CERTAIN RISK THAT LADIES OR WOMEN WOULD NORMALLY NOT TAKE AND THE RESULT OF THESE COULD LEAD TO DEATH--- MEANING REDUCED LIVING MEN.

Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by GL(f): 4:37am On May 22, 2010
probably because the life expectancy of women is about 5 years longer than that of men.
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by blank(f): 4:41am On May 22, 2010
GL:

probably because the life expectancy of women is about 5 years longer than that of men.

That is part of the question. Why is it like dat?
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by GL(f): 5:27am On May 22, 2010
i dunno if there's any specific reason. men are more likely to indulge in smoking, drugs, alcohol, and this increases their risks of developing associated diseases like lung cancer or cirrhosis. men are more likely to be rough drivers, they are more likely to die by suicide and in wars etc,
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by Osama10(m): 3:54am On Jun 14, 2010
Men take more risk than women in all aspect of life, be it the job, food, drinking, smoking, womanizing e.t.c.
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by DaDewdropsNVS: 7:19am On Feb 01, 2013
Because men piss off too many women at ONE TIME!!! Mu Che Che Che Che Che che
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by tpia1: 7:37pm On Aug 12, 2014
widowers outnumber widows.
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by egopersonified(f): 8:28pm On Aug 12, 2014
tpia1: widowers outnumber widows.

tpain (thatz how I visualize yr name), how did you arrive at this?
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by itstpia8: 7:34pm On Oct 31, 2015
tpia1:
widowers outnumber widows.
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by joyfullyjoyous(f): 10:31am On Nov 29, 2018
Of course there would be more widows than widowers as most of the time the men are older than their wives so it's just natural that men tend to for earlier. For instance a 60yr old man can marry a 25 yr old or even younger.
Re: Why Do We Have More Widows Than Widowers? by dmola(m): 10:38pm On Nov 30, 2018
joyfullyjoyous:
Of course there would be more widows than widowers as most of the time the men are older than their wives so it's just natural that men tend to for earlier. For instance a 60yr old man can marry a 25 yr old or even younger.
hmmmm
mind if i u chat u up

(1) (Reply)

My Story; A Troubled Married Man / Would You Date/marry An Albino? / Child Dedication

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.