Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,097 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

Differences Between The Gmat And Gre - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Differences Between The Gmat And Gre (16767 Views)

Where To Buy Sat, Toefl, Ielts, Gre, Gmat, And Act Books In Nigeria / Between GMAT And GRE, Which Is Easier To Pass? / 25 vouchers for less privileged on Toefl, Gre, Gmat And Pte (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by ponpon(m): 2:55pm On Apr 12, 2018
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by mainboy247(m): 2:55pm On Apr 12, 2018
Pls can someone help me with GRE material nd as well a good tutor.am dame need of them..tanx
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by joey150(m): 2:56pm On Apr 12, 2018
Sarang:

Both if possible smiley you can help too if you want to, no worries

How?
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by YoungBrains: 4:04pm On Apr 12, 2018
mainboy247:
Pls can someone help me with GRE material nd as well a good tutor.am dame need of them..tanx

I know of a great tutor who can help you online. But the problem is, I can't recommend the person to you because his money will be a lot for an average naijna based in naija. I know how things are there mhen. But just in case you belong to the very, very lucky few money bags, then the charges are 65 dollars per hour - one on one teaching online.

This person finished from Harvard, so track record is there. We can also help you arrange top notch applications to good schools. Visit us - baumtenpers.com

Meanwhile, you can get some sound tutors if you are based in Nigeria. They won't charge more than 6K per hour and they are good..
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by YINKS89(m): 4:10pm On Apr 12, 2018
Grab d offer at a subsidies fee.

Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Bamidele7603: 4:23pm On Apr 12, 2018
Hoping to face this soon
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Sarang(f): 4:38pm On Apr 12, 2018
joey150:

How?

P.M please and thank you
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by abiola65: 6:09pm On Apr 12, 2018
lincoffm:
PUBLIC NOTICE

I am here to inform y'all about the 50% discount I offer for TOEFL , SAT & GRE . There will be free .pdf Format materials after every registration.

Contact Signature.

View Recommendations;

https://www.nairaland.com/search?q=lincoffm

Regards,

Bro, how do I get the 50% discount,
How can I reach you please.
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by qanda: 6:20pm On Apr 12, 2018
Thank you for the enlightenment. Download FREE GMAT Resources from Q and A App. Download Q and A App from Google PlayStore.

Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Nobody: 6:59pm On Apr 12, 2018
abiola65:

Bro, how do I get the 50% discount,
How can I reach you please.

wlincoff@aol.com
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by 2000SMS: 7:13pm On Apr 12, 2018
Temysteve:
what wass post so meaningless to you, that was why you were able to celebrate FTC! I pray your head brain open.
a beg wats d full meaning of dis FTC?
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Temysteve(m): 10:47pm On Apr 12, 2018
2000SMS:

a beg wats d full meaning of dis FTC?
Lol see NL baby. Its 'First To Comment' (FTC)
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by ETC36: 11:22pm On Apr 12, 2018
GRE is quite simpler than GMAT
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by ETC36: 11:24pm On Apr 12, 2018
Tutorials, very affordable at abuja, call, text or WhatsApp. 08119474709
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by ETC36: 11:25pm On Apr 12, 2018
08119474709, I would send you the materials through WhatsApp.
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by SageTravels: 2:33am On Apr 13, 2018
ETC36:
08119474709, I would send you the materials through WhatsApp.

Can you help me with GMAT past questions.
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by SageTravels: 2:34am On Apr 13, 2018
YINKS89:
Grab d offer at a subsidies fee.
YoungBrains:

I know of a great tutor who can help you online. But the problem is, I can't recommend the person to you because his money will be a lot for an average naijna based in naija. I know how things are there mhen. But just in case you belong to the very, very lucky few money bags, then the charges are 65 dollars per hour - one on one teaching online.

This person finished from Harvard, so track record is there. We can also help you arrange top notch applications to good schools. Visit us - baumtenpers.com

Meanwhile, you can get some sound tutors if you are based in Nigeria. They won't charge more than 6K per hour and they are good..

lincoffm:
PUBLIC NOTICE

I am here to inform y'all about the 50% discount I offer for TOEFL , SAT & GRE . There will be free .pdf Format materials after every registration.

Contact Signature.

View Recommendations;

https://www.nairaland.com/search?q=lincoffm

Regards,

Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by mytym(m): 2:45am On Apr 13, 2018
geostrata:
From my job test experience.... I prefer GMAT to GRE, GMAT has variety of common maths n English questions, unlike GRE we dem go use graphs finish u, n true false cannot say questions

Click LIKE for GMAT and Share for GRE

GMAT is to test your competence and preparedness for a job.
GRE is to test your comp versatility for a graduate or research learning.
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by mytym(m): 2:59am On Apr 13, 2018
ETC36:
GRE is quite simpler than GMAT

But the grading method is way more complex than gmat.

It gives you question based on difficulty level. If you answer a very simple question wrongly, the next will even be simpler. If you then pass that one, then it brings questions slightly above...And gradually increasing difficulty level for each question you answered correctly. That means it judges ones knowledge/aptitude per question... Increasing or decreasing the complexity whenever a question is passed or failed accordingly.

If you manage to get all the questions correctly except the first one missed. Then they​ may not carry so much weight depending on difficulty of the first question that was answered wrongly.

The opposite happens if the first question is very tough/difficult but answered correctly, the next questions will even be tougher....But if you manage to answer them correctly. The total weight is higher.

Ultimately, two people who got all questions correctly on a section, say Verbal in GRE may have different scores depending on the respective difficulty level of each question both answered correctly.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Nobody: 3:09am On Apr 13, 2018
mytym:

GMAT is to test your competence and preparedness for a job.
GRE is to test your comp versatility for a graduate or research learning.

The GMAT he is referring to is not the GMAT you write for job tests
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Nobody: 3:11am On Apr 13, 2018
mytym:

It gives you question based on difficulty level. If you answer a very simple question wrongly, the next will even be simpler. If you then pass that one, then it brings questions slightly above...And gradually increasing difficulty level for each question you answered correctly. That means it judges ones knowledge/aptitude per question... Increasing or decreasing the complexity whenever a question is passed or failed accordingly.

If you manage to get all the questions correctly except the first one missed. Then they​ may not carry so much weight depending on difficulty of the first question that was answered wrongly.

The opposite happens if the first question is very tough/difficult but answered correctly, the next questions will even be tougher....But if you manage to answer them correctly. The total weight is higher.

Ultimately, two people who got all questions correctly on a section, say Verbal in GRE may have different scores depending on the respective difficulty level of each question both answered correctly.

GMAT has a more complicated grading method. It is a purely Computer Adaptive Test which adapts PER QUESTION, not PER SECTION like the GRE

Mind you, the GMAT Jahrushub is describing here is not the GMAT you write for job tests. This one is GMAT for admission strictly to business schools
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by mytym(m): 3:30am On Apr 13, 2018
Chidinho10:

GMAT has a more complicated grading method. [b[It is a purely Computer Adaptive Test which adapts PER QUESTION, not PER SECTION like the GRE[/b]

Mind you, the GMAT Jahrushub is describing here is not the GMAT you write for job tests. This one is GMAT for admission strictly to business schools

my earlier comments summarily is actually explaining that GRE is adaptive to the taker per question if you digested it well...I only mentioned verbal as an example. It does same for the quantitative.

Ultimately the analytical writing In GRE is measuring the candidate's depth of faculty, in making sound versatile judgement. Which is more tailored for research.

The GMAT jarushub is talking about is the one I'm talking about. The online MBA GMAT.
Yes it's tailored for jobs. That's why most Business School prefer to admit folks that have field experience. People who have actually applied different business principles and strategies in a dynamic world are targets of Business Schools. To bring diverse methods and sector expertise to the classroom.
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by mytym(m): 3:34am On Apr 13, 2018
The summary of the bolded is simply telling you it is adaptive to the the takers knowledge, intelligence and aptitude per question.

mytym:

Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Nobody: 5:22am On Apr 13, 2018
mytym:

my earlier comments summarily is actually explaining that GRE is adaptive to the taker per question if you digested it well...I only mentioned verbal as an example. It does same for the quantitative.

Ultimately the analytical writing In GRE is measuring the candidate's depth of faculty, in making sound versatile judgement. Which is more tailored for research.

The GMAT jarushub is talking about is the one I'm talking about. The online MBA GMAT.
Yes it's tailored for jobs. That's why most Business School prefer to admit folks that have field experience. People who have actually applied different business principles and strategies in a dynamic world are targets of Business Schools. To bring diverse methods and sector expertise to the classroom.

1. I have written both exams in three attempts (GMat once and GRE twice) and I have strong knowledge of both of them.

2. Your assertion that GRE is question adaptive is false. GRE is section adaptive, it adapts to your performance on the previous section. Mind you, question adaptive and section adaptive are two very different things. See proof here

https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/scores/how/

The GMAT on the other hand, the business school GMAT, is question adaptive. That is, each question adapts according to your performance on the previous one. That is why you can't skip questions on the GMAT because your performance on one question determines the next question you get (whether easy, hard or medium) . But on the GRE, you can skip questions WITHIN a section (another proof that it is SECTION adaptive). Here is proof

https://www.kaptest.com/gmat/what-is-the-gmat

3. As I said, the GMAT you are referring to is not the one jarshub is referring to. Job application GMAT and business school GMAT are different even in their meanings. Job application GMAT means Graduate xxxxxx Aptitude Test while the one for business school means Graduate Management Admissions Test

4. GMAT has an AWA section as well. In fact, it has an Integrated Reasoning section too that GRE doesn't have. I'm sure you're referring to the job aptitude test that was why you didn't know that GMAT has AN AWA section. It's similar to that of GRE just that GRE asks two questions (issue and argument) while GMAT asks one question (argument)

Also, there is nothing research-like about the AWA on GRE. I agree with you that it tests your reasoning skills but there is no correlation between that and research. Any Tom, Dick and Harry with good writing skill can ace it.

5. So try and understand that there is a GMAT for job test and GMAT for business school admissions. Both of them are different even in the meanings of their acronyms.

6. I agree with you that business schools prefer people with work experience.

7. From my experience, I agree with Jarushub. GMAT Quant is more difficult while GRE verbal is easier. Overall, GMAT tends to be more difficult from my experience cos learning how to deal with the question adaptive nature of the exam is another test on its own (hahaha)

8. I still assert that the GMAT has a more complicated marking scheme from the GRE and this is caused by the question adaptive nature of it. In fact, no one has been able to accurately predict the marketing pattern of the GMAT but there are GRE score predictions tools developed by Indians that is 99% accurate.

Not all questions are scored on the GMAT. Out of the 37 questions Quant and 41 questions in verbal, some of the questions you see are experimental and you don't know which of the questions are experimental cos you don't have a hint like it's done on the GRE. You don't even know how many of the questions are experimental. Also, the difficulty in understanding the marking scheme has led to several myths which are untrue.

But on the GRE, one whole section is experimental and it can be predicted with up to 70% accuracy cos they are generally more difficult and have a similar question pattern with one of your previous sections.

I think I've said enough
Thank you
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by mytym(m): 7:21am On Apr 13, 2018
Chidinho10:

1. I have written both exams in three attempts (GMat once and GRE twice) and I have strong knowledge of both of them.

2. Your assertion that GRE is question adaptive is false. GRE is section adaptive, it adapts to your performance on the previous section. Mind you, question adaptive and section adaptive are two very different things. See proof here

https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/scores/how/

The GMAT on the other hand, the business school GMAT, is question adaptive. That is, each question adapts according to your performance on the previous one. That is why you can't skip questions on the GMAT because your performance on one question determines the next question you get (whether easy, hard or medium) . But on the GRE, you can skip questions WITHIN a section (another proof that it is SECTION adaptive). Here is proof

https://www.kaptest.com/gmat/what-is-the-gmat

3. As I said, the GMAT you are referring to is not the one jarshub is referring to. Job application GMAT and business school GMAT are different even in their meanings. Job application GMAT means Graduate xxxxxx Aptitude Test while the one for business school means Graduate Management Admissions Test

4. GMAT has an AWA section as well. In fact, it has an Integrated Reasoning section too that GRE doesn't have. I'm sure you're referring to the job aptitude test that was why you didn't know that GMAT has AN AWA section. It's similar to that of GRE just that GRE asks two questions (issue and argument) while GMAT asks one question (argument)

Also, there is nothing research-like about the AWA on GRE. I agree with you that it tests your reasoning skills but there is no correlation between that and research. Any Tom, Dick and Harry with good writing skill can ace it.

5. So try and understand that there is a GMAT for job test and GMAT for business school admissions. Both of them are different even in the meanings of their acronyms.

6. I agree with you that business schools prefer people with work experience.

7. From my experience, I agree with Jarushub. GMAT Quant is more difficult while GRE verbal is easier. Overall, GMAT tends to be more difficult from my experience cos learning how to deal with the question adaptive nature of the exam is another test on its own (hahaha)

8. I still assert that the GMAT has a more complicated marking scheme from the GRE and this is caused by the question adaptive nature of it. In fact, no one has been able to accurately predict the marketing pattern of the GMAT but there are GRE score predictions tools developed by Indians that is 99% accurate.

Not all questions are scored on the GMAT. Out of the 37 questions Quant and 41 questions in verbal, some of the questions you see are experimental and you don't know which of the questions are experimental cos you don't have a hint like it's done on the GRE. You don't even know how many of the questions are experimental. Also, the difficulty in understanding the marking scheme has led to several myths which are untrue.

But on the GRE, one whole section is experimental and it can be predicted with up to 70% accuracy cos they are generally more difficult and have a similar question pattern with one of your previous sections.

I think I've said enough
Thank you

Well said, good information but from what you said i believe you wanted to type that GMAT has more complex quantitative while the verbal is easier than GRE. GRE has seemily less cumbersome quantitative (An intelligent SS 2 student sound in Further math can ace it).

If you have written both like you claimed, then you should know that the Issue based verbal on GRE is the same as Integrated Reasoning for GMAT and the reason both exams have either not included.

The grading system is such that incorrect options for a particular GRE question carry different degree of arbitrariness hence different weight. Only the right option assumes absolute mark for that question.

The degree of deviation from the right answer is what the system uses to judge the taker for the next question regardless of skipping. Skipping only saves time for the taker, it doesn't replace the position of a question.

For instance, If you have answered first 3 questions and the fourth one seems difficult, skipping to the 5th or 6th or 10th, the system registers it as your '4th' and it's level of difficulty will be determined by the last question you answered (whether you answered correctly or incorrectly).

Finally, Issue based verbal is not for all and sundry that can write. It's a faculty drilling exercise of testing the depth of the taker's expression of knowledge exposures.

I have not written GMAT and I'm not contesting that there 2 kinds of GMAT..., I know there's a separate GMAT for MBA other than the popular GMAT job tests. My argument is that even the GMAT for Most AMBA is still job tailored. My stand is the grading system for GRE is looking for an adept academic while that of GMAT is looking for a strategic jobber more succinctly, a business strategist.

Thanks for your time.
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by YINKS89(m): 7:36am On Apr 13, 2018
SageTravels:

t koms with d text book ND I have d soft copy of d text book.
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by Nobody: 9:53am On Apr 13, 2018
mytym:

Well said, good information but from what you said i believe you wanted to type that GMAT has more complex quantitative while the verbal is easier than GRE. GRE has seemily less cumbersome quantitative (An intelligent SS 2 student sound in Further math can ace it).

If you have written both like you claimed, then you should know that the Issue based verbal on GRE is the same as Integrated Reasoning for GMAT and the reason both exams have either not included.

The grading system is such that incorrect options for a particular GRE question carry different degree of arbitrariness hence different weight. Only the right option assumes absolute mark for that question.

The degree of deviation from the right answer is what the system uses to judge the taker for the next question regardless of skipping. Skipping only saves time for the taker, it doesn't replace the position of a question.

For instance, If you have answered first 3 questions and the fourth one seems difficult, skipping to the 5th or 6th or 10th, the system registers it as your '4th' and it's level of difficulty will be determined by the last question you answered (whether you answered correctly or incorrectly).

Finally, Issue based verbal is not for all and sundry that can write. It's a faculty drilling exercise of testing the depth of the taker's expression of knowledge exposures.

I have not written GMAT and I'm not contesting that there 2 kinds of GMAT..., I know there's a separate GMAT for MBA other than the popular GMAT job tests. My argument is that even the GMAT for Most AMBA is still job tailored. My stand is the grading system for GRE is looking for an adept academic while that of GMAT is looking for a strategic jobber more succinctly, a business strategist.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks for your clear analysis

1. You're right! I wanted to say the GMAT Quant is more difficult than the GRE. Thanks for the correction

2. Nope! The Integrated Reasoning for the GMAT is not similar to the Issue Task of GRE AWA. Integrated Reasoning is more like advanced quantitative reasoning from our elementary education days. I understand sha since you haven't written the GMAT.

3. ALL QUESTIONS in 1 section of the GRE carry equal marks but questions in different sections carry different marks. That is one other reason the GRE is section adaptive, not question adaptive. Refer to that ETS link I sent.

For instance, Questions 1 - 20 on Section 1 Quant carry equal marks irrespective the difficulty of the question.

Also, question 1 - 20 in Section 2 Quant carry equal marks irrespective of the difficulty

But, Questions 1 - 20 on Section 1 Quant may have different marks from Question 1-20 on Section 2 Quant.

In summary, questions carry equal marks on a section but their marks may vary when compared to questions on another section

That is why Magoosh and other prep companies tell you to skip difficult questions on each section cos you ain't getting extra marks for answering a difficult question

4. Your analysis of skipping is untrue so I won't take that as true.

GRE has a structured question pattern. We all know questions 13 or 14 - 17 are DI questions. Questions 18 - 20 must contain sequence questions, Question 1-5 must carry angles.

Also, you can view a question and skip. The question doesn't change if you answered the other questions correctly or wrongly. That is not question adaptive at all

Question adaptive means that the difficulty of your next question adapts to your ability based on your answers to the previous question

When you view a GRE question and skip, it doesn't change when you return back to it based on the difficulty of the question you answered

I'll suggest you go to GMATclub and try a practice test to see how the GMAT algorithm works. At the end of the test, check your results sheet and see how the algorithm adopts to your level of accuracy on each question.

5. About the GRE Quant being easy, hmmm. It's difficult to say. Yeah, those are secondary school math but they are twisted and I don't think an AVERAGE secondary student can ace it.

It is an exam anybody can learn and ace but without adequate prep, one will find it difficult to ace it except you're Albert Einstein

Don't get it twisted. I got a decent score. Upper 80+ percentile Quant, Upper 70+ percentile in Verbal and 90+ percentile in AWA.

6. The GMAT for business school applications being a replica of a job test isn't true also. GMAT for business schools tests high level Quant proficiency (needed in business schools) + Critical reasoning and other basic verbal concepts needed from a business leader. The question adaptive mode tests the decision making skills of a business leader. It's more like a chess game. Will you trade something lower to gain something bigger? Will you fight for something bigger and risk losing other benefits you're supposed to get?

Those are the concepts tested and they're far different from what a job tests
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by engrobidigbo: 10:22am On Apr 13, 2018
Mistadapo:
This is Maldives Island a luxury vacation spot on the Indian Ocean. Nice place to spend your vacation. Contact us at TravelCom Network today.
W: www.travelcomnetwork.com
E: Info@travelcomnetwork.com
T: 081368557676, 08177415259

#businesstravel #travelworldwide #travelagencylagos #travelagency #travelmanagement #travelwithstyle #travelwithtravelcomnetwork #igtravels #traveldestination #vacation #holiday #destination

What's the average cost of a family of 2+2kids going on vacation here?
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by SageTravels: 8:23am On Apr 14, 2018
[quote author=YINKS89 post=66667769] t koms with d text book ND I have d soft copy of d text book.[/quote
can you help me pls. inyaamadi@gmail.com
Re: Differences Between The Gmat And Gre by YINKS89(m): 9:06am On Apr 14, 2018
[quote author=SageTravels post=66696505][/quote] okay

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

71 Nigerian Scientists Among Top 2% Globally - Statisense / UNILAG Rewards Honest And Efficient Staff With Accelerated Promotion(Photo) / University Of Uyo Bans Wrist Watches During Exams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.