Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe (21138 Views)

Ministers Of Darkness By Bayo Onuwaje / Giving Birth To A Story By Jon Doe / BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by just2day: 2:29pm On Jul 13, 2018
donkelz:
Oya NL's finest, report here...its a wonderful piece!

Lol, I can't afford this high level PR moves oh. I value your belief in this work of fiction. Thanks
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by just2day: 3:47pm On Jul 13, 2018
barristerbiodun:
Nice plot. This can be made into a movie...

Thank you for thinking highly of this work. Fingers crossed they let me play Malaozi in the movie.

Appreciate you putting down your thoughts
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by just2day: 9:36pm On Jul 13, 2018
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by just2day: 11:16am On Jul 14, 2018
My heart My soul I give to you... even as you color me black and blue

TANGENT - 100th post. A toast to...

HIDDEN DARKNESS CH 20

In sync, Ola and Malaozi dove behind the bar, knocking glasses and bottles aside. The bartender who served them diligently no where to be seen.

"Is there no one that doesn't want you dead?"

"You?"

"Think again."

Broken glass crunched beneath their feet, spilled alcohol mixing into an unrecognizable cocktail. What a waste. Half full bottle of Jack survived, how lucky.

"Are you pouring yourself a drink right now!"

She was unable to look away from Ola who calmly found an unbroken glass, pouring himself a generous amount.

"No reason to let it go to waste."

Brown liquid fire charged, joining the vanguard of bubbles, lips smacking in appreciation.

"Any idea who they are?"

"Raise your head and check."

"Aren't you meant to be my bodyguard?"

She ignored him, a nine millimeter glock appearing in her hand, 3 magazines on the floor, each containing the standard 15 bullets. She inspected them, fingers diligently unloading and reloading the clips. 

"You only brought 3 magazines..."

"I wasn't expecting to fight a war. What did you bring?"

"Glock like you. No extra magazines."

"That's it?"

"Have you forgotten my pastor status?"

"What does that have to do with bullets?"

"My maker is all the extra ammo I need."

A bullet popped out of the magazine she held, landing on her lap.

"What is that bullet for?"

"You. For the next time you call yourself a pastor..."

The magazine rammed into the butt of the gun, the lone bullet disappearing into the burgundy jacket she wore.

"Club security still hasn't shown up..."

"They won't be coming."

"How can you know?"

It was Ola's turn to remain silent.  All this time and they still scream my name the same.

"I'll check since it's you they are looking for."

"No need."

"You know who they are?"

"..."

"Useless!"

Malaozi took a peek, head rising above the bar, taking in the scene. Two women blocked the main entrance, scanning the crowd racing past. What drew her eyes were their firearms. It was impossible to ignore. In their hands identical Heckler Mp7's pointed at the ceiling but this wasn't what kept Malaozi looking for a few seconds longer than she should. "Pink! Their guns are bloody pink!", she nearly shouted in disgust. Bright and shocking, the glossy finish left the sub machine guns with a cute and harmless aura rather than the deadly harbingers that they were.

Ripping her eyes away she studied the two who held them. Women; Even in the poor lighting they were ungodly stunning. Standing side by side, exuding an image of perfect symmetry. They belonged together, one without the other rendering all incomplete. The similar beauty they possessed was uncanny. At first Malaozi couldn't put her finger on it. A conflict was born as she saw what was both different and the same. One had stepped out of an -Africa Magic- Igbo film, a bride in the midst of her vows. Layer after layer of red coral beads hung from her neck, others blending and nesting on her braids to form a crown. Her face lay bare, devoid of any color not her own. Gold weighed down her ears, their hue in perfect union with the fiery red blouse and wrapper she wore. Small stones adorned the native design, sparkling in the intermittent club light. Malaozi had a sneaky suspicion those stones were precious.

The second gun totting lady did not adopt the look of her partner, opting for a pure white Italian cut gown, its flow the powdery snow on a mountainside. A patterned muslin shawl hung across her shoulders, the ends covering the parts of her chest the gown did not. Her lips were painted a vibrant red that gave the illusion it would pool and drip at any moment. Cheeks, roses in partial bloom. Her hair was a mass of curls piled elegantly on her head. A woman approached them from among the crowd still rushing for the exits. 'Isn't that...' Malaozi thought as she watched them converse, too far away to hear. The woman she was now sure was Whitey pointed straight in her direction, the three catching sight of her.

Ola pulled her back down, bullets spraying where her head had been. They slammed against the shelves holding the pricey bottles, sending those that had escaped the initial stampede plummeting from their lofty perch. Both shielded their eyes from a rain nature could not mimic.

"Get out here Duhu! We know where you are!"

Bullets hit the bar the two crouched behind, their backs soaking in the vibration. Muscles tensed waiting for the slugs to punch through.

"You know them don't you."

Pushing him forward, she ran her hand along his back checking for holes, her fingers finding nothing but finely defined muscle. The bar had held off the onslaught.

"Why do you say that?"

"Quit with the games Duhu..."

"Alright, alright, no need to call me that. Yeah, I know them."

Patience at an end, glock twitching, muzzle inching closer and closer to his leg.

"It's Amo and Oma now point that thing away from me"

She showed no reaction.

"You don't know them. How long have you been in Lagos?"

She didn't bother with his questions, gun hand returning to her side.

"They seem... similar."

"Not surprising, if you got closer you'd see they are identical."

"Twins... Must be a chore telling them apart."

"Not with their clothes on..."

"What!"

"Amo is always in traditional wear and Oma only wears foreign attire."

"Then why didn't you say that?"

"..."

"You know what, don't answer. Better question is how do you know all this?"

"We dated."

"Which one?"

"... em... both of them"

"F-u-c-k. Wait, how do you know you can't tell them apart without their clothes? F-u-c-k! Tell me you didn't date them at the same time."

"..."

"W-h-o-r-e."

"Are you my bodyguard or my conscience. You don't even know the whole story."

"Did they know?"

"Not at first obviously..."

"Damn it! I should throw you over the bar and be done with it."

Her fingers flexed, a smile he did not like appearing on her lips. She can't be seriously considering... can she?  

"Why are they dressed like brides at a wedding?"

"Brides?"

There was a lull in the gunfire. Ola peeked over the bar and quickly ducked, the first bullet of a reloaded mag singeing the tip of his hair.

"They really are in wedding dresses. That might be a good or bad sign."

"How could that be good or bad."

"If they were really going to kill me they would be dressed for a funeral. What they probably have planned might be much worse."

"What is worse than death?"

"Marriage of course."

An unbroken bottle found its way into her hand, smashing against his head, white wine washing over him, thick hair cushioning the blow.

"Are you trying to do their job for them!?"

"Be happy I couldn't spare a second bullet... w-h-o-r-e."

"It wasn't my fault."

"How the hell wasn't it your fault. Not like you thought they were the same person..."

"No, but both told me to keep our dating a secret. It's sort of an interesting story. Each kind of asked me out on..."

"Does this look like the place I want to hear this?"

"Why not, it's not like we're going anywhere."

"And whose fault is that?"

"Em... well... you see..."

"Just shut up."

"Is that how you talk to your employers?"

"You are the job, not the contractor... sir."

"Now you remember 'sir' "

Her lower lip found it's way between her teeth.

"Can't die to a bullet from a pink Heckler. I'd become the laughing stock of the profession."

"Would it matter? You'd be dead..."

"Screw you."

I would like that. Malaozi pulled back the slide of her glock, noting the round in the chamber. Beside her, Ola did the same. Rising from the safety of the bar, each wordlessly found a twin and squeezed, triggers sending hot lead at the two who had kept them pinned for the better part of a minute. The two beauties dove for cover, splitting to either side of the club. Malaozi emptied her magazine, the bullets chasing Amo, forcing her behind a table. Ola fired off a few shots, taking his time, guiding more than harrying Oma as she found a pillar to his right to hide behind. Both immediately ducked back behind the bar, the twins return fire coming in hard and heavy.

"Are you even trying to hit them?"

"Hey, have you ever tried shooting at your exes?"

His hand rose above the bar, firing a few wild shots; keeping count.

"I haven't had an ex try to murder me."

"Someone had the courage to break up with you?"

Taking out her building frustration on the magazine sliding into the chamber, Malaozi got up, emptying the clip into the table Amo crouched behind. 15 bullets came in quick succession tearing it to bits, forcing her to find a pillar like Oma had. As she moved, Malaozi noticed the wrapper she had worn had been discarded, her now visible garter belt a matching red. It wasn't a surprise, it would be difficult remaining agile in such an outfit during a gun fight. Covering fire from Oma sent her back down.

"I've fired off fourteen rounds. What about you?"

Ejecting the spent magazine, Malaozi glanced at the third mag on the floor in front of her.

"Down to my last mag."

"If you had brought five magazines and two fish I could have gotten you 5000 bullets."

Before Malaozi could make sense of what he just said, a sweet girlish voice floated above them.

"Duhu dear, why don't you be a darling and show us your lovely head of hair."

"Oma, I've missed that voice of yours. You always had a way with words."

She giggled, a crystal sound of misplaced innocence. Only the four remained, the club becoming their private playground.

"If you've really missed me you'll let me see you. I promise not to shoot. "

"For you Oma, anything."

Ola rose from the safety of the bar, Malaozi grabbing his arm before he made any headway.

"Are you crazy? Or just tired of living. I can happily let you die tomorrow when my job is done."

"I know what I'm doing."

"I hope so, since one magazine and your last bullet isn't going to do much against their semi-autos."

"Load it and give it to me."

"Why?"

Her hands loading the last magazine.

"Duhu why are you taking so long. You know how I am when I get impatient."

How can I forget... A shiver accompanying the memory.

"Coming dear, I'll be out in a second."

Malaozi held out her glock, a few tugs needed before it could be pried out of her hand. In turn, Ola gave her his.

"Go round while I hold their attention, you should be able to sneak up on her."

"That is your plan? Convince them not to blow your head off while I get the jump on one?"

"Got a better plan?"

She didn't.

"Don't die."

"You too."

Stealthily she made her way out the side, Ola rising at the same time, gun laid flat on the bar in easy reach. His eyes were on Oma, beside the pillar, neglecting its cover. Fabric that had once been part of a gown, on the floor behind her. Torn at mid thigh it had become a more convenient short dress. Gone was the muslin shawl, the top of her sculpted mounds visible and glistening from a thin film of sweat caused by the heat coming off the pink gun currently pointing at the dance floor. I can't let myself get sucked into the depths of those glimmering pillows. Such an obvious ploy.

"I can barely recognize you with all that tangled hair. Come let me run my fingers through so we can remove the knots. I promise to be gentle."

"I think I'll stay right here Delilah. Just remember you promised not to shoot."

"I always keep my promises."

"But I made no such vow."

Amo swung out of cover, garter suspenders twirling, her gun rising, finger reaching for the trigger, Ola alone in her sights.

twitter - @just2days

email - just2day@yahoo.com

Thanks for reading

Chapter 21 - July 17

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by pacifust058(m): 5:28pm On Jul 14, 2018
Keep it up Man...
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by tonyxxx(m): 3:55pm On Jul 15, 2018
Awesome as always... Ola is in for it this time! Eagerly looking forward to the 17th so bad that i wish i was a time traveler,so i can travel into the future for the sole purpose of reading the complete version of a best selling novel titled hidden darkness written by a famous author named just2day. That's how much i love your work & wish you the very best in making a financial success out of your writing talents.
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by just2day: 11:23am On Jul 16, 2018
pacifust058:
Keep it up Man...

I hope to. Appreciate the encouragement
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by just2day: 11:37am On Jul 16, 2018
tonyxxx:
as always... Ola is in for it this time!...travel into the future...

Can't express enough my gratitude for this comment
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by Jazmiynne: 2:29pm On Jul 17, 2018
donkelz:

Jazmiynne

Thanks for the mention
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by aries26(m): 3:02pm On Jul 17, 2018
You are good. I am totally hooked.
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by just2day: 11:26pm On Jul 17, 2018
I hate you as I had loved you; Deeply

HIDDEN DARKNESS CH 21

Amo could taste it, victory in her grasp. Never had she felt such an intense need to inflict pain on a man. "Kill him!" her mind demanded, pushing her body to respond. His heart, her sole target, her eyes catching his in a hope to find a piece of what they once shared. His grey were calm, lacking the panic most would have when they saw a gun coming to bear. A flutter in her chest, muzzle rising painstakingly slow in her eyes, trigger waiting for a finger to fulfill its purpose. She hesitated, less than a second; an amount of time that should be meaningless but wasn't to the man whose heart she wished to pierce.

Ola's gun disappeared from the bar to his hand, no reluctance in his actions, four bullets already on their way before Amo could squeeze. None hit her, striking the floor and pillar around, forcing her back to cover.

"Four! Oma, point that gun back down. You promised."

"You shot at Amo!"

"She was about to shoot me!"

"So?"

He could only look at her, unsure what to say. Four more shots rang out, chipping the edges of Amo's pillar, pinning her down.

"Stop it!"

Beneath Oma, the dance floor shattered, metal emptied into it in an explosive tantrum.

"Eight! Tell her to stay behind the pillar."

"Don't tell us what to do! You forfeited that right."

Three more shots rang out, forcing a sneaking Amo scrambling back.

"Eleven! What is it going to take to bring this to a peaceful end."

"If you could die twice maybe."

"Why must you be so antagonistic even now."

"You can't keep me pinned here forever. You are bound to run out."

More plaster broke off from the pillar as four more slugs struck its bullet riddled carcass, his answer to Amo. 

"Maybe so but I have more than enough to get the job done. Fifteen!"

The slide of Ola's glock locked back, the gun empty. Tossing it aside, he scaled the bar, sprinting forward as he landed. 

"He's out, shoot him!"

Oma yelled, her full focus on his suicidal charge at her, promise still kept.

"You can't outrun a bullet Duhu."

Eagerly she waited for him to be cut down but it didn't come. Sensing something wrong she turned, meeting a picture of Amo with a gun to her head.

"It's over Oma."

"No, no, no, no..."

Her grip on the heckler tightened, Duhu a few strides away with palm stretched out. 

"I could just shoot you."

"You never break a promise and you wouldn't risk your sister."

Ejecting the loaded mag, she tossed the pink heckler to Ola. 

"Don't pretend to know me."

"I don't need to pretend."

"What are you going to do to us?"

The two sisters stood together, their guns now pointed at them.

"First get your discarded wrapper so I can think straight. And you, your shawl."

"Men..." The three said at the same time. Ola's fingers stiffened, sub machine gun falling to the floor as he watched all three exchange a smile. Did I just unite them against me! Can't let this friendship take root.

"Great work on the ambush, partner." 

The twins had returned in time to hear his words, shawl and wrapper in hand. Malaozi  pulled out the glock, aimed at Ola and shot. With a click, the slide locked back, an empty gun in her hand.

"You shot me!"

"It's empty! You sent me on an ambush with an empty gun!"

"It worked. Wait, don't change topic. If it was loaded I'd be dead!"

"We both know it would have been a flesh wound. Why do I have an empty gun, I'm sure you shot fourteen rounds."

"About that, remember the guy I saved you from this morning, missing bullet should be in his head."

Switching to the heckler, she sprayed the floor, live rounds sending Ola into an awkward dance to the merriment of the twins.

"I like her."

"Me too."

"How about working for us?"

"No! I forbid it!"

"You forbid it?!"

His outburst did not have the desired effect, the bullets in the heckler spent his saving grace.

"Here's another mag... ehm what do we call you."

Ola could only watch as Malaozi caught the rounds they tossed to her, load it and continue the conversation like they weren't trying to kill each other a minute ago.

"Malaozi."

"Pretty name. I'm Amo and this is my little sister Oma."

"Little?! You aren't even half an hour older than me."

"I'm not just going to stand here and watch you steal my bodyguard."

"Shut up Duhu! We didn't even get a whiff of an apology from you."

"I'm sorry for the way I treated you both... but..."

Gunfire sent him dancing again before the 'but' came out; Malaozi generous with the expenditure. The twins did not laugh this time, shawl and wrapper falling to the ground as they gazed upon the stranger before them.

"Did Duhu just apologize?"

"He insists on going by Ola now."

Marching up to him, they pulled and prodded his face checking to see if it was a mask. Satisfied, two kisses were planted, one on each cheek, a red imprint marking the younger sisters claim.

"Malaozi won't you come with us? We could put your talents to better use and spoil you rotten."

"I'll think about it. Thanks"

"If you are free reach out to us. He knows how."

"Be careful Duhu, Lagos has changed since your absence. There are whispers."

Hand in hand, pink hecklers at their side, they left the havoc they had wrecked. Ola and Malaozi remained in the middle of it watching them leave.

"Who's going to pay for this?"

"Why do you think we both kissed you..."

When did cheek kisses get so expensive... 

Phone out, Malaozi's thumbs were a flurry of motion.

"What now?"

"Have to move. If they could find you, others will too."

"Not likely. Amo and Oma's information network is one of the best in the city."

"Didn't think that was their business."

"More of a byproduct of their business."

"Byproduct?"

"Don't worry about it. They aren't done with me. You can ask when next we meet."

"Is that before or after they try to kill you."

He pushed past her question.

"Where to now?"

"Somewhere to lay low till daylight."

"Sounds good."

A yawn cracked his mouth wide, hand running through his hair. The front door opened once again, men rushing in brandishing batons. 

"It was like this when we got here."

Ola said, a light fixture crashing to the ground behind them in answer to his outlandish claim. The bewildered security were rooted to the spot, eyes widening with each passing second as they took in the damage. Together the duo walked through the sea of men, cleanly parting them, none daring to block their path. Outside the manager waited, his posture mimicking that of a danfo driver who hit a politicians Mercedes. Malaozi handed him a card.

"Call this number, follow the instructions given and this situation will be handled."

"Thank... you.... I... I... I... hope you... you... enjoyed your stay."

Ola patted the shoulder of the man who seemed to be a second away from prostrating and kissing the ground. Must be worried we will hold him accountable for not warning us about the twins.

"It was a fine time. Don't worry, very few people can say no to those twins."

Beneath his fingers, the tense muscles of the manager visibly relaxed, his head bowing over and over to their backs as they walked away. Outside, their Range was gone, the keys now in the hands of some stranger whose luck had changed. A nondescript car pulled up in front of them.

"What is this?"

"Uber. Harder to track. Get in."

Holding the door open for him, he slid inside. 

twitter - @just2days

Thanks for reading

CHAPTER 22 - July 20

2 Likes

Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by just2day: 12:05pm On Jul 18, 2018
aries26:
I am totally hooked.

sweetest thing for a writer to hear. Appreciate you stopping to comment. Thanks
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by Nobody: 5:41am On Jul 19, 2018
i have a bucket of ink in my house pls come and take it for ur pen, wow! Nice n interesting
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by just2day: 6:51pm On Jul 19, 2018
debbycreamy:
i have a bucket of ink in my house pls come and take it for ur pen, wow! Nice n interesting

deeply appreciate the positive feedback. Bucket of ink in my house sounds like bait to trap a writer lolz. Thanks for taking the time to comment
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by just2day: 8:49pm On Jul 20, 2018
The seemingly powerful are mere lambs to those who grant them power

HIDDEN DARKNESS CH 22

The city stretched and yawned, shaking the sleep from its eyes. Those who ruled the night tidied up, preparing to relinquish the city to the day walkers.

Ola sat at a round breakfast table, awaiting the first rays signalling the end of the true night. A glass sliding door leading to a large open balcony kept out the elements while affording him an unobstructed view. Though dawn was at least a half hour away, he didn't mind, his gaze held by the lady who had led him here.

Clad in a white tank top and red loose fitting pants, Malaozi remained motionless at the center of the balcony. Her fingers were intertwined, upward facing palms held right below her navel. She saw nothing of the world, body in the lotus position. Eyes closed, mind blank, sole focus on taking a breath, holding it and slowly letting it out. Time lost meaning as she sunk deeply into her meditation.

Rising, she faced the east and bowed, right fist meeting left palm. With a shout she struck out sharp and fast, fist punching through the empty air. Strike after strike followed, a mix of out stretched fingers and open palm. Precise and steady, each carried a deadly force that could be seen even when not felt. Bare feet rose, the kick lifting her clear off the ground, a cry following the cut through space, her landing soft and effortless. The tempo increased as she went through the forms, each step heavy and forceful yet formless and malleable when needed.

Watching from his perch he could see the beauty in the forms even as beads of perspiration left her brow to end up on the glass separating them. Dawn, a living fire of reds and orange crested the balcony, joining to observe what would soon come to an end. With one last stamp of her feet, she bellowed vehemently into the world. So much pain... With another bow to the east, she left the balcony and headed to the bathroom. Ola said nothing as she stalked past, his keen sense of self preservation holding his tongue.

Sounds of running water filled the quiet apartment they had slipped into at the dead of night. The concierge had not bat an eye when Malaozi walked in with a beggar in tow, both reeking heavily of alcohol. Without the slightest change in expression, he handed her a key card, returning to his post after the single task was complete. From the elevator to the apartment was passed in silence, Ola finding the nearest flat surface and promptly falling into a death like sleep.

Having slept immediately, he hadn't had the chance to explore the apartment. A quick look around when he woke up netted him nothing. Not even a personal picture on the wall. Maybe this isn't her apartment. It seemed plausible, the family kept many of such safe house locations in case any kind of need arose. All the rooms he entered were neat and tidy, white doors silent as they opened and closed, having the feel of a hotel more than a home. The only oddity was a red door situated near the kitchen. At first Ola assumed it was the pantry, paying no mind though his curiosity was tickled. Only after finding the fridge empty and the cupboards bare did he return. It was locked. Should be her room. The deduction did not survive as he remembered there was one other locked door. Taking a seat at the breakfast table which afforded him a view of both doors, he waited. Soon he was rewarded as Malaozi emerged from the door that was not red and headed to the balcony for her meditation.

Having watched her return to the room, he got up and made his way to the red door. Should be at least 15 minutes before she's done in the shower. Better clock for 10 just in case. She did not fit the conventional mold of a lady, a truth one would have to be blind not to see. Barely four minutes had passed before Ola gave up. After observing the door and lock he came to the conclusion it would take proper tools and a lot more time to break through. He did not feel disheartened, rather the opposite as his thirst to know what could be behind the door grew. Must be her apartment. A new found urge to explore once again for anything he might have missed was born. It was quickly doused, the sound of running water petering out. Wasting no time, he returned to the breakfast table before she found anything amiss.

Out of the room she came, a towel wrapped around her head. She was dressed once again in the same burgundy jacket, white top and black trousers. He could tell they weren't the same she'd worn the day before. 

"Planning on showering? You smell like a winery."

"And whose fault is that?"

The blow she struck with the wine bottle still fresh. 

"All it'd take is a spark and you'd go up in flames."

He could see her toying with a box of matches

"Alright, you are as demanding as..."

He didn't finish, a knock on the door cutting him off.

"Expecting company? Do you need me to give you privacy?"

She opened the door, revealing the concierge. He pushed forward a mobile service table with an assortment of dishes without taking a single step into the apartment. 

"The clothes you requested."

Handing a covered hanger over to Malaozi he left as silently as he came. 

"Here, change into this."

"Will I ever escape ladies trying to dress me. I'm not your figurine."

As he talked she ripped open the covered hanger revealing new clothes identical to what Ola currently wore. 

"Well played."

She smirked, tossing them over. Grabbing it, he made his way to an empty rooms shower. Though cleaner than he had been in quite some time, he still felt dirty as he thought of the previous days events. What a dreadful emotion. Running fingers through his hair, he headed back to the room he had been sitting in. Malaozi occupied a chair of the breakfast table but the dishes remained beside her; untouched. Instead, the surface in front of her contained parts to a disassembled gun she was currently putting back together. A lone round stood face up by her side. Doesn't look like the round for a glock. He crept up, touching her shoulder.

"What is written on the barrel?"

The single bullet flew into the cylinder of the reassembled revolver and pressed at his side before he could finish his question.

"This bullet is not for you."

"I can tell. Maybe now you can explain why you didn't bring out that gun during the close call in the club?"

"Car is waiting for us."

"Or why you didn't hesitate to bring it out at the church?"    

She was already at the door, holding it open for him, stance clear. Before the day is over i'll have you bare a part of your soul. Grabbing a couple slices of toast, he left the apartment.

A Range Rover waited for them at the drive way of the apartment complex, its engine running. Passengers secured within, it sped off. As they navigated their way through the city of Lagos, more Ranges joined till they were 13 strong. Swift and imposing, the lead car cleared the way for the rest to follow. Ola closed his eyes, wishing to add a few more minutes of sleep to the short couple hours he'd had. 

"We're here." 

Ola looked out at a familiar sight. A building of glass and concrete towering above the rest. In front, convoy after convoy came and went dropping off personnel. Some had their faces shielded so as not to be recognized while others brazenly walked in the daylight. From politicians to crime bosses, one thing connected them, they were here for the reading of one man's will. That a single piece of paper could set in motion the gathering of such powerful people only served to show the might in which the author of that parchment possessed. The surrounding streets had been blocked off to the public. A few managed to slip past the barricades to see the brilliant display and splendor. Thinking the President of the country was making a none publicized stop within the city, they took pictures aiming to post online. Only then did they notice their phones had no signal. As they tried to leave they were summarily found by security personnel and their digital devices quickly destroyed.

"So many prominent people. Isn't that the current governor?"

Malaozi said as she took it all in. 

"Not surprising. Whoever takes over the family business will have substantial control over the futures of these people. Power is what they crave and power is what the family trades."

"Doesn't that include you?"

Ola did not answer, door of the Range opening at that moment. The guards at the entrance spotted him, their briefing having warned them of his appearance, each standing straighter as they cleared a path. He was in no rush, craning his neck to see to the top of the building which carried his family name. He couldn't, the top obscured by low hanging clouds. Part of me knew the old bastard would force me back here. I will kneel on a layer of rocks and bow to your corpse before I let your machinations from the grave sweep me into this madness. Oath declared with gritty determination, Ola stepped into the building; Malaozi his shadow.

twitter - @just2days

Thanks for reading

CHAPTER 23 & 24- July 24

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by paqman: 10:27pm On Jul 20, 2018
I gat the invitation late, man i must say you are a genius and you really deserve some accolades keep the good work coming
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by paqman: 10:28pm On Jul 20, 2018
I gat the invitation late i must say you are a genius and you really deserve some accolades keep the good work coming
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by donnaD(f): 2:21pm On Jul 21, 2018
donkelz:

Samexdx stephengee12 hadampson dview001 rachealfst alarmednigerian vakjay08 meneski yommy20 prettyrose bibijay123 oyindawealth maltaleeza bakeuhappy supizino queenitee honourable356 debbycreamy dabila olufemiwhit kimkardashian Kimberly west iamloyalty countrygirl ayoshewa donteanz smokeydrinky chisiudeh dupsai sirgoldejike vincad skillful01 captainpower sikells castleberry maryclaire1 modik rhayne kunbeex princessadeola soulminister heemah osch10 Nmaglit forzarush sofiaamrozia misselocon jazmiynne mobecs damselbae igyeseh nanadeeva01 tolezy001 eitsei raintaker slimberry123 segibambo ladysunshine94 khennykhay rchilee dimssy boderline politicalthug Rodriguez12 prisivileth pweetywizzy charytea laraemi emzyme tillaman niwdog jekonmor officialflex bleeze2 cjizzy citygold121 aminatope247 jaesharp emmyn donnad diegonakel ogmeekzy07 hardeybay princesam10 bleeze2 cruzyteekay freshestmanny oluwaemmanuel sleekhoyen sexyolori pinkfeet ayodijex cyber5 succyblinks jupitre cindymorgan shurley22 ayodijex damibiz criis costal alamiendagash jide219 switkera renybenks osmon1996 queendd oroolorun shawdey tlordz toyin223 funnyfun precial419 boldndbeautiful tenniebae mightyfortress rosalieene nawtielizzie yourradiance tzminaj adeculate creeza go4success swankmee marvwhite aka sherlock Holmes
Dominicnuel skeetz gallantemory senatorpope
always present.thank you.
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by donteanz(m): 3:25pm On Jul 21, 2018
Present
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by queenitee(f): 3:28pm On Jul 22, 2018
Thank you, nice story
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by devilmaycry1(m): 8:52am On Jul 23, 2018
cheesy
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by just2day: 3:13pm On Jul 23, 2018
paqman:
I gat the invitation late, man i must say... keep the good work coming

High praise though I have a ways to go to reach such lofty levels. It's a pleasure to welcome you. Hope the work remains good. Thanks for dropping this comment

1 Like

Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by just2day: 3:16pm On Jul 23, 2018
queenitee:
Thank you, nice story

Thanks for the positive comment. Feel like a new mom being told my baby is cute lol
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by just2day: 3:17pm On Jul 23, 2018
devilmaycry1:
cheesy

words are overated. Emoji's for life! grin Thanks for the comment

CHAPTER 24 MIGHT NOT COME OUT TOMORROW BUT 23 DEFINITELY WILL. SORRY IN ADVANCE TO BOTH NEW AND OLD DARKIES
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by just2day: 9:18am On Jul 24, 2018
Travelling to a region I won't have access to internet. Be back on Friday. Chapters will be delayed till then. Have a good week.
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by tonyxxx(m): 11:16am On Jul 24, 2018
Wishing you a safe trip bro. & i hope you would compensate us with a long update when you get back.
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by AvatarMode(m): 1:51pm On Jul 24, 2018
Good work man..you write so well
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by donteanz(m): 9:49pm On Jul 24, 2018
Honestly, I'm A Loyal Fan Of Yours Just2day. Do Me A Favor By Mentioning My Moniker When The New Update Finally Comes Up.
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by donteanz(m): 10:11pm On Jul 29, 2018
just2day:
Travelling to a region I won't have access to internet. Be back on Friday. Chapters will be delayed till then. Have a good week.
Jon Doe Abi Its Just2day You Prefer, Friday Never Reach 4 Ya Calendar Ba.
Abeg Come Do The Needful.
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by dimssy(m): 11:55am On Aug 01, 2018
Thank you for the updates.
Re: HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe by just2day: 6:55pm On Oct 05, 2018
NEVER OUTSHINE THE MASTER

THE STORY SO FAR :- The movers and shakers of Lagos; those who operate in the brightness of day, in the darkness of night or in the shadows between, gathered at the family building of Ola in Marina to hear the reading of his fathers will. It would determine who controlled the family business of POWER. Malaozi’s objective of getting Ola to the meeting would soon be completed after a day and night of gunfire and struggle for survival.

HIDDEN DARKNESS CH 23

A rainbow of colors greeted him within the spacious lobby. Many eyes locked onto Ola as he made his way in, all but a few quickly losing interest when they saw his drab attire in stark contrast to their expensive wears and agbadas that flowed without wind. These few were unable to hide the glint in their eyes once they spotted him. Their hands reached for phones, none but themselves knowing what ran through their minds. Their interest was not lost on Ola, taking note of each as he made his way to a wall much like any other within the large lobby. Out of the few who still watched him, only a couple were not surprised when the wall slid aside revealing an elevator. Without missing a beat Ola strode in, Malaozi a step behind. The wall seamlessly slid back into place, soft elevator music accompanying its ascent.

The climb was quick, Ola’s ears experiencing slight discomfort as they gained altitude. Did not miss this. Malaozi stood behind him lost in thought. His words from last night echoed in her mind; ‘Are you my King Maker?’. Why they rattled around she could not understand. Shaking herself she refocused for the task ahead. ‘He’ll be someone else's problem soon.’

“Try not to get lost in the faces Malaozi.”

“Faces? Lost?”

Before he could say more, with a crisp ding, the elevator doors slid open revealing a mono colored room with a baleful aura. Softly lit, it sported a sea of grey from the walls to the marble floor with a lady in the center on a small island. Giving the room a threatening air was what hung on every available surface. Gracing its walls were masks, spears and shields. Enough to easily arm dozens of men. They were a blend of wood, metal and animal leather. Giving off a dangerous glint, the spears still seemed capable of piercing the flesh of its enemies, the head held in place by twine. Each shield stood half as tall as a fully grown man. Carved into their surface were scenes of slaughter, not much imagination was needed to sense the reek of spilled blood that must have filled the air of the battlefield. Malaozi remained unfazed by the imagery but couldn’t help but gasp at the first mask she glanced at. She could not look away no matter how hard she tried. Though carved from deadwood, it came alive before her, leaving the wall and racing to fill her mind. A shudder swept down her spine as she struggled. Ola did nothing but watch her frozen form. Only a few ticks passed before Malaozi dashed back a couple steps, her breathing heavy like she had escaped a mob after stealing akara. On the wall the mask remained, its countenance menacing, drawn to drive fear and sap the courage from the hearts of those who dare to challenge its dominance.

“What was that!?”

A wild guarded look remained on her face, her eyes refusing to come in contact with anything else that covered the walls of the room they were in. Ola did not answer, proceeding to the center where the lady sat within a semi-circular glass top reception desk, her pale skin blending with the grey. In front of her was a similar mask which she gazed at intently.

“You are late Ogiuwu.”

“It is others that are too early.”

Without taking her eyes off the mask she flipped a switch and a wall holding a spear slid open revealing a room filled with suited men and a few suited women.

“She’ll wait in there, you may continue on.”

“We’ll be going together.”

There was a subtle promise of violence hidden beneath Ola’s tone that the lady’s honed intuition picked. She looked up for the first time, nodding soon after. Another wall, holding a mask, slid open revealing an empty room with 2 sets of double doors. Without any hesitation Ola walked in, a bewildered Malaozi in tow as the wall slid back flawlessly behind them.

“What is that room?”

“Which room?”

Much of the bewildered look left Malaozi, replaced with one that she had been experiencing ever since meeting Ola. After taking a couple calming breaths and stilling the hand that was reaching inside her jacket she tried again.
“The room with the spears and shields”

“It’s the only place to access certain parts of the building.”

“But why are there mas…”

“We are here.”

Ola cut her off, his hand reaching for the handles of the double door. On well oiled hinges they silently parted, revealing a room of wall to ceiling windows overlooking the Lagos skyline. A giant table stood at the center, seats surrounding it, each filled with a prominent individual listening to a man whose back was to them. Their positions could not have been acquired without the blessing of the family whose building they currently sat in. Their perception had been honed by years of struggle to reach the lofty height they currently occupied. They noticed the change almost immediately and turned to confront the threat. The one still speaking remained oblivious to the open door, his words floating to the ears of Ola still experiencing discomfort.

“Why do we have to wait for that spilled seed. He’s not coming. Even if he came so what. Should a bastard have a right to what my father built? If he was a man he would have followed his slut of a mother to the grave. To even think he dares to take our name makes my blood boil.”

No one told the one whose words cut deep that the bastard had arrived.

Twitter - @just2days

E-mail - just2day@yahoo.com

Thanks for reading

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Baby And Me - A Crime Story / What Book Are You Reading Now / In - Between ( A Fictional Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.