Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,656 members, 7,820,284 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. (2365 Views)

Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? / What Is Your "Wrongest" English Expression? / Lady Who Was Pregnant With Twins While Running Her Graduate Program Shares Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. by facenglish: 7:55am On Apr 13, 2018
'How I was insulted by a lady who misconceived my good English expression',said Mr John.

Let's read their conversation and learn from it.

Mr John: Hello Tayo, How are you doing?

Tayo: I'm fine,thanks.

Mr John: My friend called me yesterday. He said you were no longer interested in the relationship.Why?

Tayo: Yes! I don't love him anymore. But he should have explained to you what he did.

Mr John: He told me he didn't do anything wrong. So that is why I have decided to GIVE YOU A RING tonight.

Tayo: Me! GIVE ME A RING! The relationship that we haven't started.
If I didn't see any man to marry. So I will now marry my ex-boy friend's friend,a gateman for that matter! Pls go ahead and give me a ring. Ashawo...

Note:

From the conversation between Mr John and Tayo, we can affirm that a particular phrase has been misconceived by Tayo which has resulted in an insult to mr Mr John.

The phrase 'give somebody a ring'(British English) means to make a telephone call to someone:

I’ll give you a ring later in the week

You can also give somebody a call; I will give you a call later in the week.

For more interesting grammar lessons read on www.Facebook.com/facenglish
SPEAK & WRITE IMPECCABLE ENGLISH
Re: How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. by forreelinc(m): 7:58am On Apr 13, 2018
Ugh that was a terrible write up you suck

7 Likes

Re: How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. by Shedrack777: 8:21am On Apr 13, 2018
this is nigeria, not britain. even you, you'lll also think same thing with her. nanaija we dey
Re: How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. by Nobody: 10:27am On Apr 13, 2018
She has a bad impression of you plus she is not intelligent.
Re: How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. by Nobody: 11:33am On Apr 13, 2018
She is actually right pragmatically. That's an ambiguous statement.
You are talking about relationship and marriage then you suddenly decide to use the word "ring" who wouldn't misconceive you in such a situation

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. by MistadeRegal(m): 12:26pm On Apr 13, 2018
That was how I told a lady one day during a chat, I told her, "Well, you're bound to be a mother someday." The next message when she was going to reply, she was binding, rebuking, casting, nullifying, decreeing, prophesying and countering me and demons.
I was like, "Sister, you got me wrong!" Since then, we're not like friends or foes. So don't be down OP. Most women don't normally think before saying. I'm used to that so if they get angry, I just let them chill before explaining.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. by Nicklaus619(m): 4:42pm On Apr 13, 2018
forreelinc:
Ugh that was a terrible write up you suck

People like u nah over sabi dey kee unah, why don't u point out the terrible part and correct the writer, rather than being a bitch about it?

1 Like

Re: How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. by samuelchimmy(m): 4:48pm On Apr 13, 2018
man,you at fault,even me got confuse,in this situation,a british could easily get confused too,you get common sense so
Re: How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. by forreelinc(m): 4:53pm On Apr 13, 2018
Nicklaus619:

People like u nah over sabi dey kee unah, why don't u point out the terrible part and correct the writer, rather than being a bitch about it?
becos its all bad

1 Like

Re: How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. by Nobody: 8:33pm On Apr 13, 2018
This thread has been grossly misconcieved. The essence of this thead is to draw our attention to how our choice of vocabulary can be misconstrued by our listeners or target audience. I bet this is not a true story but a fiction.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. by Deckline(m): 9:40pm On Apr 13, 2018
Okoh1:
This thread has been grossly misconcieved. The essence of this (thead) is to draw our attention to how our choice of vocabulary can be (misconstrued) by our listeners or target audience. I bet this is not a true story but a fiction.
grin grin The spellings in bracket proved my point. YOU CAN'T BE AS GOOD AS THE BRITISH. BE PROUD OF YOUR COUNTRY'S SLANG AND ADJUST YOUR DELIQUENCIES. grin
Re: How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. by falcon01: 10:09pm On Apr 13, 2018
it wasn't good enough but The OP tried at least he brought something educative something positive something better than " hot teenager shares nudes online"
"cee c big brother caught sucking her boobs"
"how i banged to ladies from same mother".
Re: How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. by phemmyfour: 7:32am On Apr 14, 2018
The only ring familiar to naija girls is the one wore on the finger
Re: How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. by Aceed: 9:54am On Apr 14, 2018
When you decide to use simplicity to compound simple issues...

The situation wey dey ground no be the one wey you go dey blow grammar for or begin dey show mouth...

Your are the major cause of the misunderstanding because I can not blame the lady for being ajepako upstairs...

(1) (Reply)

WAEC Result 2019 Private Candidates Is Out: See How To Check. / Study Leave / Canada Study Permit-the Best Canada Visa Agent In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.