Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,801 members, 7,817,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections (24666 Views)

Nigeria's 36 States Ranked In Order Of Land Mass / Difference Between 2015 And 2019 Postponement Of Elections / Onnoghen: Supreme Court Justices Shun Inauguration Of Elections Tribunal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by callthefred: 9:29am On Apr 15, 2018
mrphysics:

Did you read the bill? Was this the secret behind the bill? And how do you justify your claims? So Abia, rivers, Akwa Ibom, etc has no gubernatorial candidate in APC?

Like I said my brother "it was the excuse given by proponents" of the bill. Of course there could be motives. But looking sincerely, APC wouldn't have won those states you listed. They were never swing states.
Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by mrphysics(m): 9:31am On Apr 15, 2018
callthefred:

Not necessarily so, there could be accelerated hearing. Mind you Inec shot itself in the leg earlier on this bill and to retract. INEC like EFCC is a creation of the law. The law made and amended by the national assembly but in all honesty the bill is needed and would help our democracy if implemented.
It's not about needing the bill. The senators does not have the right to make such laws. NASS members are not permanent residents of the NASS, however, Nigeria will always remain even till the 20th senate. SO the 8th senate can't come and distort everything due to their assumptions. The supreme court will deny them that right.

Why did you think they didnt bother to veto presidential assent? They knew they will lose and they are now seeking the support of the governors by trying to favour them. So how is it healthy to our democracy? Court will always tell them to stop

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by seguno2: 9:32am On Apr 15, 2018
mrphysics:

This is supreme court Judgement. This judgement was given if I am not mistaken 2006/2007. So who amended it.

You read in the judgement that the NASS has no right to make laws relating to the listed conditions

Even if this one gets to the president, he will still reject it, then the NASS will try to veto it, if they succeed, FG will take it to court for proper interpretation. It will be resolved after 2023 election grin grin

Don’t get excited and mix up issues.
I did not suggest that the judgment, which you claim is of the Supreme Court, to be amended.
I asked if the elements relied upon have been amended in the Electoral Act. Are you able to answer that specific question or not?
Moving on, the judgement seems to limit the NASS role to that of a state IEC concerning local government elections. Is that not true?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by maasoap(m): 9:36am On Apr 15, 2018
Airforce31:
To those that don't understand the importance of the re ordering of elections tell me this after the presidential election isn't the governorship ticket of the whole nation secured for such a party?. Reordering the election make's sure that such a backward way of voting is abolished.

If Buhari vetoes he can be overridden and the bill will become law. That is democracy. If Buhari somehow escapes the over ride vote he will never have any legislative agenda even if he is re elected by his fellow non thinking notherners

Not if the court is involved (court is already involved) for interpretation, status quo will be maintained until the outcome of the court decision.
To even think that the NA can have it their way shows that we have too many baby politicians on nairaland. DOA!

3 Likes

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by callthefred: 9:37am On Apr 15, 2018
Afamed:

Many of them are here on Nairaland. few days ago, one of them said the F.G should be funding Budget with foreign reserve. Since that day, I occasionally engage them in a debate.

Trust me it might not be a bad thing if spend the reserves on "human capital development" the major reasons we save in dollars is for clearing bills and receipts for import purposes. If we spend heavily to develop our engineers, scientists and researchers we may end up producing 98% of what we consume and might be no need to import, after all America's savings is not up to $150b but the country can raise $1T in 24 hours. Our major forex drainer is refunded oil.

Also, you may want to know that the American visa lottery was a strategy to sabotage countries like Nigeria. After we've subsided education here and trained someone to become a qualified doctor or engineer, he travels to the USA and becomes useful to them and a loss to us. No one will be given a visa in the lottery process if you haven't atleast passed WASSCE so forget the old economics, my only problem is we spend on wrong things.

1 Like

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by Afamed: 9:42am On Apr 15, 2018
maasoap:

Not if the court is involved (court is already involved) for interpretation, status quo will be maintained until the outcome of the court decision.
To even think that the NA can have it their way shows that we have too many baby politicians on nairaland. DOA!
There are many baby politicians indeed on Nairaland, including those who could not manage their failed music life.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by mrphysics(m): 9:42am On Apr 15, 2018
seguno2:

I did not suggest that the judgment, which you claim is of the Supreme Court, to be amended.
I asked if the elements relied upon have been amended in the Electoral Act. Are you able to answer that specific question or not?
Moving on, the judgement seems to limit the NASS role to that of a state IEC concerning local government elections. Is that not true?
You finally cut your cable.

Did you read the second paragraph of Mr Presidents letter when he rejected the bill? Take a look at it again.
Then you extrapolate it to other areas not only local government

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by callthefred: 9:42am On Apr 15, 2018
mrphysics:

It's not about needing the bill. The senators does not have the right to make such laws. NASS members are not permanent residents of the NASS, however, Nigeria will always remain even till the 20th senate. SO the 8th senate can't come and distort everything due to their assumptions. The supreme court will deny them that right.

Why did you think they didnt bother to veto presidential assent? They knew they will lose and they are now seeking the support of the governors by trying to favour them. So how is it healthy to our democracy? Court will always tell them to stop

Mind you the sequence in 1999 was Presidential elections last. Our democracy is evolving yes, we have selfish idiots in power yes, but this is about the office and power attached to that office. That they changed narrative doesn't mean they can't veto the president but because it's all politics and many need their state governors to hand them tickets for continuity, hence they definitely would succumb but that's not to say they can't pass it.
Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by Afamed: 9:48am On Apr 15, 2018
seguno2:

Definitely if supreme Court makes another judgement about Election re ordering tomorrow, definitely your likes will still have another opinion

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by CoolAmbience(m): 9:58am On Apr 15, 2018
Fuckyoumod:
We must all support and commend this current Senate... They have refused to be Buhari's ass-lickers.

for this reason Saraki's led Senate has earned my respect.

Buhari must be fought in all direction.

They are lawmakers, they can make and amend any law in this country as long as the (two third majority is met) even the court knows this!

This is not about making and unmaking laws.

The question is, what value does it bring to the our elections?

Is it okay by you because it is a move against Buhari or because it will add value to the electoral process?

5 Likes

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by trillville(m): 10:00am On Apr 15, 2018
Teenaira:

I don't totally agree with you sir. Nigeria is not backward because budgets are not being passed but due to poor leadership. All the other budgets that have been passed year in year out, what impacts do they have on the country. It has always been garbage in garbage out.

If Nigeria will ever be great, we need to focus on our strategic development. I could comfortably say the whole world has left us behind in terms of development and good life due to the fact that we worship individuals rather than establishing and empowering institution of governance. If we continue to manage the country this way, i for see doom nearer than we thought. That is why you will notice that a lot of people are frantically moving their families out of the country. Of course I can't blame them. We are moving backwards with each regime and unfortunately every regime try to sit tight because there are no specific accountabilities. Even if there are accountabilities, it is to friends, relations and well wishers of the incumbents. This has been the same trend in the current and previous administrations.

I will like to commend the current legislature even though they have lots of short comings but they give some level of assurance that after all, we could have a part of the government that could tell the irresponsible executive this is the red line. Should we even be talking about any other thing in this country besides fellow human being been slaughtered day and night in an independent country. Where else do we have this kind of carnage in the world apart from Syria.

This government has failed Nigeria once again. In 2015, it seems to be our last hope.

Let me share a secret with you. I don't still have a PVC !!! But I want to assure you whatever obstacle they decide to place on getting one, I will get one and then I can participate in determining the fate of Nigeria and Nigerians for yet another 4 years.

Nigerians, if you love yourself, your family, your future generations go all out don't mind the obstacles, get your PVC and we will all have reasons to say yes I tried my best to help the helpless situation.

This is the best comment on this thread so far. Please support a youth to lead this nation. You have lots of options from Sowore, Durotoye to Fasau. Read up on their views and choose a candidate to support.

1 Like

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by Afamed: 10:01am On Apr 15, 2018
seguno2:

Do you still find it difficult to understand the verdict of Supreme court. In a lame man language, Supreme court said, it's only INEC that has the power to fix the date of an election and INEC remains the only body to fix the sequence of an election not even the presidency.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by trillville(m): 10:04am On Apr 15, 2018
mrphysics:

The Defendant in fact argued or treated Plaintiffs' claims (i), (ii), (iii) and (iv) together in its brief under Question one. So what was said in respect of Claim (i) above will apply here. Plaintiffs' Claim (ii) however is in five parts (a)-(e). I will therefore answer them one after the other as follows:

(ii)(a) The National Assembly has no power except in relation to the Federal Capital Territory alone, to make any law with respect to conduct of elections into the Office of Chairman, Vice-Chairman or Councillors of a Local Government Council except the power to make laws with respect to the registration of voters and the procedure regulating elections to a Local Government Council.

(b) The National Assembly has no power except in relation to the Federal Capital Territory alone, to make any law with respect to the division of a Local Government Area into wards for purposes of election into a Local Government Council.

(c) The National Assembly has no power except in relation to the Federal Capital Territory alone, to make any law with respect to the qualification or disqualification of a person as candidate for election as Chairman, Vice-Chairman or Councillor of a Local Government Council.

(d) The National Assembly has not power except in relation to the Federal Capital Territory alone, to make any law with respect to the date of election into a Local Government Council.

Attorney General VS Abia state government and all states attorney general.

That is if you will read

I hope you have realized that this is nonsense right. Sorry to be rude but these laws are not for national elections but for local government elections. Your evidence is meaningless.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by seguno2: 10:04am On Apr 15, 2018
Afamed:

Do you still find it difficult to understand the verdict of Supreme court. In a lame man language, Supreme court said, it's only INEC that has the power to fix the date of an election and INEC remains the only body to fix the sequence of an election not even the presidency.

The only body based on the Electoral Act in existence at the time of the judgement, not so
Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by pafisayo(m): 10:05am On Apr 15, 2018
junbi:
I really don't understand this reordering stuff undecided

How does reordering favour the senators and not the presidency, can anyone help

Infact which of the orders favours the masses

Thanks.

God bless you ... I see likes and comments coupled with praise for the legislators cos they are supposedly not ass-licking PMB yet the move is now to palacate the Governors
When and how will we get it right when major decisions are made just in favour of those in Government and not in favour of the Citizen ?
Election should be about the masses not asslicking of PM. Or any Set of Governors. And these people still earn some ridiculous amount of money for what ever it is they actually do that has absolutely no inpact on an Average Nigerian

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by seguno2: 10:14am On Apr 15, 2018
Teenaira:
I don't totally agree with you sir. Nigeria is not backward because budgets are not being passed but due to poor leadership. All the other budgets that have been passed year in year out, what impacts do they have on the country. It has always been garbage in garbage out.

If Nigeria will ever be great, we need to focus on our strategic development. I could comfortably say the whole world has left us behind in terms of development and good life due to the fact that we worship individuals rather than establishing and empowering institution of governance. If we continue to manage the country this way, i for see doom nearer than we thought. That is why you will notice that a lot of people are frantically moving their families out of the country. Of course I can't blame them. We are moving backwards with each regime and unfortunately every regime try to sit tight because there are no specific accountabilities. Even if there are accountabilities, it is to friends, relations and well wishers of the incumbents. This has been the same trend in the current and previous administrations.

I will like to commend the current legislature even though they have lots of short comings but they give some level of assurance that after all, we could have a part of the government that could tell the irresponsible executive this is the red line. Should we even be talking about any other thing in this country besides fellow human being been slaughtered day and night in an independent country. Where else do we have this kind of carnage in the world apart from Syria.

This government has failed Nigeria once again. In 2015, it seems to be our last hope.

Let me share a secret with you. I don't still have a PVC !!! But I want to assure you whatever obstacle they decide to place on getting one, I will get one and then I can participate in determining the fate of Nigeria and Nigerians for yet another 4 years.

Nigerians, if you love yourself, your family, your future generations go all out don't mind the obstacles, get your PVC and we will all have reasons to say yes I tried my best to help the helpless situation.

Wow.
I wish that I could frame your comment.
So complete. So beautiful. So powerful.
Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by Afamed: 10:17am On Apr 15, 2018
callthefred:

Trust me it might not be a bad thing if spend the reserves on "human capital development" the major reasons we save in dollars is for clearing bills and receipts for import purposes. If we spend heavily to develop our engineers, scientists and researchers we may end up producing 98% of what we consume and might be no need to import, after all America's savings is not up to $150b but the country can raise $1T in 24 hours. Our major forex drainer is refunded oil.

Also, you may want to know that the American visa lottery was a strategy to sabotage countries like Nigeria. After we've subsided education here and trained someone to become a qualified doctor or engineer, he travels to the USA and becomes useful to them and a loss to us. No one will be given a visa in the lottery process if you haven't atleast passed WASSCE so forget the old economics, my only problem is we spend on wrong things.
I disagree with you on that , there is provision for a human capital development projects in the Nigeria Budget already. Aside that there are other account set aside for training and re training of human capital in every ministry in Nigeria. Whether it's judiciously spent is another question for another day. No country in the world has ever used her foreign reserve either to fund it's budget or spend it on human capital development.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by gtown: 10:18am On Apr 15, 2018
factsandfigures:
You will be shocked that all APC Governors including die hard loyalist of PMB will support the bill. In politics the only thing that matters is permanent interest and not loyalty
The same surprise you will see when even the hate to the core Ipob P.I.Gs vote for Buhari in 2019. Let them even place presidential election 3 months after others.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by Afamed: 10:22am On Apr 15, 2018
seguno2:

The only body based on the Electoral Act in existence at the time of the judgement, not so
The only body on electoral Act as at which period and date of the judgement? can you give us the date of the judgement?
Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by seguno2: 10:24am On Apr 15, 2018
mrphysics:

The Defendant in fact argued or treated Plaintiffs' claims (i), (ii), (iii) and (iv) together in its brief under Question one. So what was said in respect of Claim (i) above will apply here. Plaintiffs' Claim (ii) however is in five parts (a)-(e). I will therefore answer them one after the other as follows:

(ii)(a) The National Assembly has no power except in relation to the Federal Capital Territory alone, to make any law with respect to conduct of elections into the Office of Chairman, Vice-Chairman or Councillors of a Local Government Council except the power to make laws with respect to the registration of voters and the procedure regulating elections to a Local Government Council.

(b) The National Assembly has no power except in relation to the Federal Capital Territory alone, to make any law with respect to the division of a Local Government Area into wards for purposes of election into a Local Government Council.

(c) The National Assembly has no power except in relation to the Federal Capital Territory alone, to make any law with respect to the qualification or disqualification of a person as candidate for election as Chairman, Vice-Chairman or Councillor of a Local Government Council.

(d) The National Assembly has not power except in relation to the Federal Capital Territory alone, to make any law with respect to the date of election into a Local Government Council.

Attorney General VS Abia state government and all states attorney general.

That is if you will read

I have re-read your post and see that it is all about local government elections.
Nice try at mixing things up for confusion.
Nice but failed attempt.
Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by rusher14: 10:25am On Apr 15, 2018
callthefred:

The excuses of the proponents of the bill which many Nigerians for selfish, bias or outright hatred for this national assembly didnt critically access is the reason for this noise.

The bill was introduced because in the last elections many states voted APC governors solely because Buhari had won the presidency and they couldn't afford been labeled opposition. Jigawa is a good example.

So in order to ensure the right persons win at governorship levels and possibly even an independent candidate may one day will the presidency they proposed the bill.

The only advantage to the masses is that the more these clowns clash the more revelations and secret we hear. It's now up to the masses to come together and send them all packing.

Who carried out this research?
Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by Abdul4trust1(m): 10:25am On Apr 15, 2018
Fuckyoumod:
We must all support and commend this current Senate... They have refused to be Buhari's ass-lickers.

for this reason Saraki's led Senate has earned my respect.

Buhari must be fought in all direction.

They are lawmakers, they can make and amend any law in this country as long as the (two third majority is met) even the court knows this!

can You Explain To Me How That Will Help Poor Nigerians?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by rusher14: 10:27am On Apr 15, 2018
seguno2:

I have re-read your post and see that it is all about local government elections.
Nice try at mixing things up for confusion.
Nice but failed attempt.

Local government is government. It is the executive and so they are intermingled.
Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by CilicMarin: 10:27am On Apr 15, 2018
aolawale025:

If NASS over rides the bill. Its law my friend

It is not law my friend, the Executive or even an ordinary Nigeria, can go to court and secure Order stopping it. And the Executive which the consitution vest the power of to implement law, will comply.

This is the last resort to these lawlessness from the National Assembly..That is why the Executive is much relaxed.

Go and mark it somewhere the Bill will not fly anywhere.
Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by gtown: 10:28am On Apr 15, 2018
Lamasta:
If that will make it easier for the man from Daura to be sent packing then it is accepted.
There was no election reordering before the man from Daura sent the man from Otouke packing to his villa.
Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by pafisayo(m): 10:28am On Apr 15, 2018
trillville:

This is the best comment on this thread so far. Please support a youth to lead this nation. You have lots of options from Sowore, Durotoye to Fasau. Read up on their views and choose a candidate to support.

And while we are at it let us also remeber the legislative arm needs youth leadership also else if any of these youth u mentioned by chance wins the post of the Presidency without us having changed the Old selfish members of our legislative arm ..
- they would have absolutely no respect for him
- they would ensure his efforts are frustrated
- we would end up back where it all started cos being a president is not alone enough to stir this country the legislative arm plays a lot of Role! They are the Keepers the Messi the Ronaldo and also the Refree.. infact the fans and pitch belongs to them cos they are supoosedly representing the people (they basically Represent their personal and common interest thou )

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by Afamed: 10:32am On Apr 15, 2018
seguno2:

provide us the date when the judgement was made so we can accertain if it's the only electoral body available then.
@seguno2
Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by seguno2: 10:34am On Apr 15, 2018
Afamed:

provide us the date when the judgement was made so we can accertain if it's the only electoral body available then.
@seguno2

You should direct it to the person who provided the Supreme Court judgement.
Cheers
Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by gtown: 10:36am On Apr 15, 2018
seguno2:

Is it the legislature that reinstated and promoted Maina the pensions thief whom Jonathan had earlier sacked and declared wanted by EFCC?
Na who do you this thing
Buhari is a monumental error of gargantuan proportions that must be corrected in 2019!
You and your other clowns are working on white elephant project.
Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by Mires: 10:45am On Apr 15, 2018
It's very clear that the masses are fed up with Bubu led APC government even APC legislators.

Kudos to Saraki who doesn't want a situation where State governors are at the leverage of working to secure votes for President Bubu in order to be delivered and elected for second term in their various states. With the reordering, it is now mind your own business. State governors work for their re-election first. Same goes with federal legislators. After which President Bubu is allowed to return to Daura. Hahahahahaha

1 Like

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by CilicMarin: 10:45am On Apr 15, 2018
seguno2:

You should direct it to the person who provided the Supreme Court judgement.
Cheers

Segun the Die hard PDP supporter, let me help you. Any law or act of the National Assembly that is inconsistent with any of the provisions of the constitution will remain null and void, inconsequential and of no effect.

So, if any section of the amended Electoral law, violates any section of the constitution, the whole act becomes null and void.

In the case of the issue at hand, the Executive have outlined where it conflicted with the provisions of the constitution regarding the powers of the INEC, if the National disagree, it is left for them or any interested member of the public to approach the court. But if they go ahead to over ride the president, the Executive will approach the court for interpretation...and any case before the court cannot be acted upon until the courts ruled up to the Supreme Court.

So stop celebrating with the Rogues of the National Assembly because they are against your enemy..

You, Saraki and the Useless PDP will fail again next year.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: In A Move To Placate Govs, National Assembly Revises Order Of Elections by Airforce31: 10:45am On Apr 15, 2018
Are appeals disallowed in your brand of politics adult politician. If the Court disallows it They will simply rearrange it but by the grace of God Presidential election must come last
maasoap:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NERC To Begin Mass Metering On May 1 / Petroleum Institute Finally Completes Its Modular Refinery, Ready To Compete / A Tribe Called Judah: Peter Obi Congratulates Funke Akindele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.