Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again (22746 Views)

Photo Of A Mosque Beside A Church In Jos / Mbaka: I Will Not Worship At Catholic Church Again - Nigerian Man / David Ibiyeomi Holds Church Again Despite Corona Virus PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by Mia44: 7:28am On Apr 15, 2018
It doesn’t bother me anymore to hear a phone ringing during a church service. It’s part of life in the 21st century. But I’ll admit I was shocked last month when I heard a ringtone while I was preaching—and a woman seated in the third row pulled her phone out of her purse and began a lengthy conversation as if she were in the waiting room of a beauty parlor.

That incident prompted me to post a question on Facebook the next day. I asked my friends to share their own stories of rudeness in church. That triggered an avalanche of pent-up frustration about crinkly peppermint wrappers, loud music, smelly feet (yes, someone took off their shoes during the service), unruly children, coffee-sipping saints and parishioners who try to finish their pastors’ sentences during sermons.

When I tallied the responses, I came up with this list of the rudest things people do in church:

1. Talking during a service.

2. Texting or surfing the web during a service. (One person mentioned seeing people playing video games on their phones.)

3. Sleeping—or snoring!—during a sermon.

4. Clipping fingernails during church. (I was amazed at how many people listed this offense. One person said his church’s sound technician clipped his nails routinely during the sermon, and it was amplified over the loud speaker.)

5. Answering a ringing phone in church.

6. Constantly getting up and leaving the auditorium, presumably to use the restroom.

7. Walking out of a service early, especially during a prayer.

8. Letting babies cry incessantly in the service.

9. Chewing or smacking gum. (One friend from Puerto Rico said he is particularly annoyed when people “chew gum like a goat.”)

advertisement
10. Public display of affection. (One person complained about a man and wife who enjoy giving each other back rubs during worship.)

Those were the most common replies. Other infractions mentioned in my unscientific poll included (1) “Pushing people to the floor while praying for them”; (2) “Saying ‘Amen’ 100 times during the sermon”; (3) “Taking change from the offering plate”; (4) “Swearing in church” (I didn’t ask for the details on that!); and (5) “Drinking beverages during the entire service.”

But as I mused over these replies, I couldn’t help but wonder: What does God consider rude?

I don’t think He’s too annoyed by crying babies or rambunctious children. Nor do I think God is offended if a husband and wife get slightly cozy in church. And surely God has compassion for a person whose tiny bladder forces them to go to the restroom more often than everyone else. Some of us just need to lighten up and extend grace to latecomers, fidgety kids, teeth-grinders, young mothers with infants and people who have to report to work promptly at 1 p.m.

But when I look at the Bible, it’s obvious God doesn’t like it when people refuse to focus their attention when He’s talking. He has called us to listen. Moses told the Hebrews they would be blessed if they listened to God’s commandments (Deut. 11:27, NASB). Solomon said that when we come to God’s house we should “draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools” (Eccl. 5:1, emphasis added).

Isaiah said that God awakened him “to listen as a disciple” (Isa. 50:4, emphasis added), while Jeremiah rebuked Israel because they “did not listen or incline their ears” (Jer. 17:23, emphasis added). And when Jesus was glorified in His transfiguration, the Father declared, “Listen to Him!” (Luke 9:35, emphasis added). There is no possible way we can please God or be His faithful followers if we don’t learn to listen.

Yet today we live in a distracted culture. We are sleep-deprived multitaskers. We surf the web while we watch TV; we text while we drive; we tweet while we work; we take calls when we are meeting friends for conversation. Some people even crash into each other while walking on sidewalks because they are too busy Googling to see another distracted Googler headed straight toward them.

We are so focused on everything that we can’t focus on anything. I sometimes wonder if the proliferation of fast food, sugary drinks, movies on demand, “smart” phones and 24-hour news isn’t rewiring our brains so we can’t focus on what’s really important. We’re turning into media zombies.

I’m not bashing technology. But we could lose the art of discipleship if we don’t reclaim the habit of careful listening. That means when we come to church, especially, we should not just turn off our phones but also tune out all other distractions so we can focus on what God is saying to us—through the preacher, the worship songs, the prayers and the Holy Spirit’s still, small voice.

Please don’t be rude to God. Don’t just go to church. Go and hear the word of the Lord. Don’t talk, text, sleep or take calls when He is speaking. Listen as if your life depended on it.

By J. Lee Grady

https://www.charismanews.com/opinion/40106-top-10-rudest-things-people-do-in-church

11 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by Stemkay: 7:30am On Apr 15, 2018
And wooing ........FTC for d 2nd time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by sonsomegrigbo: 7:31am On Apr 15, 2018
What about things PASTORS should stop � doing in the church...

Cc.
Apostle Johnson Sule

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by Mia44: 7:37am On Apr 15, 2018
Pastors are believed to be directed by God... Unless the person is deceiving him/herself

sonsomegrigbo:
What about things PASTORS should stop � doing in the church...

Cc.
Apostle Johnson Sule

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by vincent10(m): 7:38am On Apr 15, 2018
I disagree with number 3, 6, and 8 because these are acts of nature.

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by Mia44: 7:44am On Apr 15, 2018
They can actually be controlled
vincent10:
I disagree with number 3, 6, and 8 because these are acts of nature.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by vincent10(m): 7:50am On Apr 15, 2018
Mia44:
They can actually be controlled
I completely agree but they cannot be avoided.
Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by Kingsley10000: 9:05am On Apr 15, 2018
China is currently the world's leading economic power, in China there is Zero Church! Finland has the most stable economy in the world today. There are less than twenty churches in Finland! Switzerland has the second most stable economy in the world. Switzerland has fewer than thirty churches! Denmark is the third most stable economy in the world, there are about 23 churches in Denmark. These countries are considered to have the highest number of atheists, but they are blessed! Come to Nigeria, there are more than 70,000 churches. +25 000 churches in Lagos. +2 500 churches in Oyo +30000 churches in the south east In Africa, we have more churches than schools and hospitals combined! More pastors than doctors. Everyone is born again!o Everyone is covered with the blood of Jesus! Jesus even became the husband of all single women (according to them) in revival churches! Everyone is filled with the Holy Spirit! However, none of these claims reflect the moral elevation that is hoped for in a society. We are among the laziest, the most deceiving, the most corrupt, the most hypocritical, the most hateful on the planet today, with all our Jesus and the Holy Spirit! Our people need to distinguish between religion and stupidity or between spirituality and tradition!. Wake up!!! religion is the modern day slavery holding Africans down...

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by Tohzara(m): 10:54am On Apr 15, 2018
You want people to die of tedium and stasis? It's fücking torturous to have to listen to the same sermon over and over again, recycling the same shiit you've been listening to since you started going to church.

My brother in Christ, there's nothing more killing than such BOREDOM.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by Emytexboy(m): 10:54am On Apr 15, 2018
The temple of God, you're the temple of God not the buildings you see every where,act 17:24-29, 1cor3:16-17 and as Jesus demonstrated when he entered the physical temple, chasing away all kinds of worldly activities in mark 11:15-, so shall he enter you and chase away all powers of darkness in your spirit man the day you accept to offer your self as the temple of God, where the spirit of God will live, the day you become born again,John 3:3-6, that day you will become the house and temple of God (Church) not the buildings you see every where, God bless you

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by veacea: 10:54am On Apr 15, 2018
Buhari
Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by tokrizy: 10:55am On Apr 15, 2018
Kingsley10000:
China is currently the world's leading economic power, in
China there is Zero Church!
Finland has the most stable economy in the world today.
There are less than twenty churches in Finland!
Switzerland has the second most stable economy in the
world. Switzerland has fewer than thirty churches!
Denmark is the third most stable economy in the world,
there are about 23 churches in Denmark.
These countries are considered to have the highest number
of atheists, but they are blessed!
Come to Nigeria, there are more than 70,000 churches.
+25 000 churches in Lagos.
+2 500 churches in Oyo
+30000 churches in the south east
In Africa, we have more churches than schools and
hospitals combined!
More pastors than doctors.
Everyone is born again!o
Everyone is covered with the blood of Jesus!
Jesus even became the husband of all single women
(according to them) in revival churches!
Everyone is filled with the Holy Spirit!
However, none of these claims reflect the moral elevation
that is hoped for in a society.
We are among the laziest, the most deceiving, the most
corrupt, the most hypocritical, the most hateful on the planet
today, with all our Jesus and the Holy Spirit!
Our people need to distinguish between religion and
stupidity or between spirituality and tradition!.
Wake up!!!
religion is the modern day slavery holding Africans down...
nyc copy and paste..we already knw since last 2yrs

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by veacea: 10:55am On Apr 15, 2018
What of campaigning
Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by Chiefpriest1(m): 10:55am On Apr 15, 2018
Lol. Let pastors stop saying ' face your neighbour' or 'hold your neighbour's hands' or ' tell your neighbour'.

I detest that stuff. Let me just connect to God, jejely pray my prayer, pick my bible and go home.

8 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by Akshow: 10:56am On Apr 15, 2018
I know one thing...... stop paying tithes

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by Guapismo: 10:57am On Apr 15, 2018
Akshow:
What's your own sef..... Are they paying the tithes to u, people pay tithes willingly so who are you to tell them not to pay

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by veacea: 10:57am On Apr 15, 2018
Emytexboy:
The temple of God, you're the temple of God not the buildings you see every where,act 17:24-29, 1cor3:16-17 and as Jesus demonstrated when he entered the physical temple, chasing away all kinds of worldly activities in mark 11:15-, so shall he enter you and chase away all powers of darkness in your spirit man the day you accept to offer your self as the temple of God, where the spirit of God will live, the day you become born again,John 3:3-6, that day you will become the house and temple of God (Church) not the buildings you see every where, God bless you

3 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by jerecrown(m): 10:57am On Apr 15, 2018
Is God doctrine that matter not fabricated ones please
Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by hopefulLandlord: 10:58am On Apr 15, 2018
Akshow:
if you don't pay tithe you go to hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7C3VExeY6A
Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by Nobody: 10:59am On Apr 15, 2018
I dey church now reading ur nonsense, the usher think am writing something down to my phone note

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by akinyemi0103(m): 11:00am On Apr 15, 2018
And tell dem to stop falling like ripe paw-paw during deliverance.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by satowind(m): 11:00am On Apr 15, 2018
Who is this one church warden?
Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by Nobody: 11:01am On Apr 15, 2018
Kingsley10000:
[s]China is currently the world's leading economic power, in
China there is Zero Church!
Finland has the most stable economy in the world today.
There are less than twenty churches in Finland!
Switzerland has the second most stable economy in the
world. Switzerland has fewer than thirty churches!
Denmark is the third most stable economy in the world,
there are about 23 churches in Denmark.
These countries are considered to have the highest number
of atheists, but they are blessed!
Come to Nigeria, there are more than 70,000 churches.
+25 000 churches in Lagos.
+2 500 churches in Oyo
+30000 churches in the south east
In Africa, we have more churches than schools and
hospitals combined!
More pastors than doctors.
Everyone is born again!o
Everyone is covered with the blood of Jesus!
Jesus even became the husband of all single women
(according to them) in revival churches!
Everyone is filled with the Holy Spirit!
However, none of these claims reflect the moral elevation
that is hoped for in a society.
We are among the laziest, the most deceiving, the most
corrupt, the most hypocritical, the most hateful on the planet
today, with all our Jesus and the Holy Spirit!
Our people need to distinguish between religion and
stupidity or between spirituality and tradition!.
Wake up!!!
religion is the modern day slavery holding Africans down[/s]...

Dey go China naa ....

3 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by LisaAnne(f): 11:02am On Apr 15, 2018

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by Criticize001(m): 11:03am On Apr 15, 2018
If I no surf internet, how I go see this now?

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by Robisky001(m): 11:05am On Apr 15, 2018
Why would anyone in is right sense do the aforementioned in a Church? Well, I aren't surprise. People go to Church for different reasons.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by nonoski: 11:05am On Apr 15, 2018
Ok
Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by anyicash(m): 11:05am On Apr 15, 2018
"only kids or immature minds can do that"
Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by anyimontana(m): 11:06am On Apr 15, 2018
@ number 6..i guess those with prostate cancer will wear diapers to church..

@ number 7..keep ur eyes closed and continue praying if an usher taps ur back and says to u "brother, I saw someone entering ur parked camry and driving off..

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Do In A Church Again by fasho01(m): 11:07am On Apr 15, 2018
Okay, thank you as per Heaven's clerk.

I'm even surfing the web and replying this from church now

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Has Life Taught You So Far? / Aborisa:yoruba Religion / Should Christians Eat Pig? Pig Is Not Kosher.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.