Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,786 members, 7,817,262 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria (2909 Views)

Nigeria Breweries Ability Test For Trainee Shift Manager Packaging / First Bank Ability Test Invitation For FBN Graduate Recruitment 2013 / Nigeria Breweries Plc 2nd Ability Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by burn(m): 11:46am On Mar 14, 2007
I was invited for the virgin Nigeria Computer ability test on Monday the 12th. When I got there we were told that the test would be for Word and Excel. Then they brought out sheets of paper for the word, saying the word would be paper based. I think thats rubbish. furthermore they went ahead asking for shortcut keys to perform some actions. I think thats completely attrocious! Well, obviously they didnt pick me. I did well in the excel cuz that was computer based but the word was just crap. Goodluck to those who made it sha but Virgin Nigeria should really get their act right.
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by Seun(m): 11:48am On Mar 14, 2007
Thanks for sharing this information. What this implies is that they use Word and Excel in the company. This makes sense.
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by Duwizzle(m): 2:33pm On Mar 14, 2007
I see no reason why you should be upset with them. In actual fact, tests on MS word are usually on paper. What exactly do you want to do on the system. The shortcut keys are necessities. I will advise you put your act right instead of waiting for companies to favor your interests. It's just advise anyway!!
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by Duwizzle(m): 2:34pm On Mar 14, 2007
I see no reason why you should be upset with them. In actual fact, tests on MS word are usually on paper. What exactly do you want to do on the system. The shortcut keys are necessities. I will advise you put your act right instead of waiting for companies to favor your interests. It's just advise anyway!!
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by crito(m): 9:42pm On Mar 14, 2007
i was invited by virgin nigeria for a computer ability test 2moro march 15 by 12pm. smiley
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by kellorah: 9:44pm On Mar 14, 2007
and they call that a test? na wa oooo

even my little brother could have handled it angry
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by Fdeveloper(m): 8:55am On Mar 15, 2007
I think Duwizzle got it absolutely right. I always think of every interview and/or test as a learning experience and surely the positive thing you can take away from your experience is that it would be useful to learn the common shortcut keys for all the office applications.
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by 1forall: 9:15am On Mar 15, 2007
I think the paper based test verifies your proficiency by showing youre not just comfortable clicking away, everybody can use MS Word (I think).
Call that atrocious?!
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atrocious
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by oluite(f): 2:15pm On Mar 15, 2007
@burn
just learn from dat experience n move on.I dont see any thing wrong with virgin askin for shortcut keys.ctrl+b,i,v,p etc.A friend was asked the second standard of d national anthem in an interview. grin
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by Vickivicki(m): 8:19pm On Mar 15, 2007
@burn
I guess we as adults and leaders of tomorrow should be cautious and deeply care about our utterances.Friend,U don't have to be so wild (@atrocious).
Just like GLO SAYS rule your WORLD.

smiley

The gods are dead
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by Nobody: 1:18pm On Mar 16, 2007
sorry, but i think its RIDICULOUS to do a paper based test for a computer application.that's the sort of thing they do in our universities. a lot of us don't learn computer apps that way. ( go to a "computer school" where u cram all sorts of "manuals "on office apps & get only a few minutes actual pc time.

i'm more than a little disappoointed that virgin has chosen 2 take the nigerian approach.remember, there are several ways 2 execute commands in applications, from the GUI, or by text .a lot of peeps are mpre used to gui commands (whichwas the basis for gui in the first place, it drastically reduced the learning cyurve for using a computer) i use all sorts of software, and i didn't learn them by cramming every single text command.

plus do u know how many shortcut keys there are? do u realise that one can customise shortcut commands?
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by Nobody: 1:23pm On Mar 16, 2007
i took the computer test but was unsuccessful.
they picked 4 out of every 16.
for the person having a test 2moro,abeg go and practice on your p.c
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by Duwizzle(m): 2:03pm On Mar 16, 2007
@ Oyb,
I really dont think you should criticise VNA for holding such a test. What is so wrong about it? the questions were not all based on shortcuts. You really should get the facts. You have to work on theory before moving to practical and that's the case with MS word. If you cant explain sthg in theory how can you handle in practical? Let's not let frustrations cloud our judgement.
I took the test and it made sense to me. They were basic questions that the any user should know.
In UK universities, computer students work on paper before moving to PC's so it's not a "Nigerian" thing.
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by Christino(m): 4:33pm On Mar 16, 2007
It is actually dumb to test people based on shortcut keys. Even GUIs can be rearranged.

I've discovered time and again that sometimes, you may be overqualified than the person interviewing you, but for the sake of pride, will attempt to rubbish you. I've walked out on interviews halfway cos the interviewer's spewing utter rubbish.

The only shortcut keys applicable are Ctrl +b,i,u and some few ones like copy and paste, then undo and what have you. The shortcut keys were made for people who do not like to use the mouse or who do a lot on these apps.

Working with excel without knowing formulas will put you at a disadvantage.

Next time, ask your Word interviewer how to close the file with a shortcut key, minimize, maximize, make ALL caps, change font e.tc. with the shortcut keys and see if they can do that too.

Absolute brainless dummies! cheesy

N:B: there are shortcut keys for those as well. (I had to learn those when my mouse went bad) I even learnt to move the mouse with the arrow keys shocked

A guy was referring to the second standard of the national anthem, do you mean stanza?
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by Mishie: 7:20pm On Mar 16, 2007
you guys squirming at someone else for crying out loud, y dont you go and sit for the test and see if you come out of it.I am sure it wasnt all about the MS Word thing but the limited time given for the Excel practicals, where you have to perform ten questions in ten minutes. now go and claim you can do that in 5mins or less, computer gurus. mind you, alot of folks went in for the test without any idea of what to expect. this fellow shares his feelings and gives insight to what the test is all about for the benefit of others about to write, and you're calling his bluffs. take it easy!!!
i would like to say he tried cos lots of folks went in and never came out with a word cos they probably were also hurt not making it. how many posts have you read on this subject with somone giving you clues about the test. i think that speaks enough. but like someone said here, its an expereince and we ought to develope a positive attitude towards it. i knew about 3 candidates from2 other airlines in the same airport who are in T&R and Customer service who said it was ridiculous basing a customer service test on computer, when in reality they have got absolutely little business with excel in their job specifications.
I wish you all the best and all i can say is keep trying and never give up.
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by sema(f): 7:39pm On Mar 16, 2007
Hello my country people,

Indeed it is my first time here. I like to shout a BIG hello to all. I really want to say I love what you guyz are doing here. Nairaland is quite decent enough for me to belong. Just wanna say things like that really happens. it was just their style. But keep trying and keep learning as well. Best lucks
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by Nobody: 12:04pm On Mar 17, 2007
Duwizzle:

@ Oyb,
I really don't think you should criticise VNA for holding such a test. What is so wrong about it? the questions were not all based on shortcuts. You really should get the facts. You have to work on theory before moving to practical and that's the case with MS word. If you can't explain sthg in theory how can you handle in practical? Let's not let frustrations cloud our judgement.
I took the test and it made sense to me. They were basic questions that the any user should know.
In UK universities, computer students work on paper before moving to PC's so it's not a "Nigerian" thing.

i'm sorry but this is what it comes to as i see it.
i am moderately proficient in ms word 98,xp,2003,2007, ditto for excel

i didn't learn using any manual.
this biz of theory, quite frankly, cannot apply to computer applications!

what christino said is so true.
for me, the best way to learn any app is to have a task that you need it to execute.
thats how i learnt apps i use.i have a pal trying to learn autocad, insisting on assimilating the entire manual before he actually starts working! how much productivity will he lose?

the thing you have to remeber, like i said, is that with GUI apps, there are several ways to skin a chicken.

you see, the manual (not the tutorial) is simply 2 help u when u get stuck somewhere.what u need is tutorials that are based on example, and you will find these on the net.95% of so called compuer training in Naija is just a scam where u get a paper cert that u can't defend.

read and you forget
see and you remeber,
do and you understand

thats all there is to it!

also, you said computer students.theres a world of diff between computer scienctists and computer users.i don't write code or algorithms, i use computer applications!obviously, in a professional field, you learn the theory first.but using computer apps does not lassify as a professional field. imagine u are running a biz, and you want your staff to get up to speed on a new app. are you going to buy the manual and then start asking questions, or install it on their systems , provide the quick tutorial, and put them to work?

if you see the manuals of some applications.sketchup has a manual of over 600 pages.i shld read all that b4 i start using the software. that can only work 4 students.my boss wants results right now!!not long thing
'ehnnn oga i never finish the manual'

also u shld know, office 2007 is radically different from all other versions.so if they'd decided to test u on office 2007, you might be sunk(unless of course, u fall into otigba regularly grin)

ps google quicklearn for excel ,word and powerpoint manuals.i hope the site still exists though.i last used it in 2003.cheers
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by crito(m): 8:18pm On Mar 17, 2007
Thanks be to God i passed the test on thur. i am now @ the interview stage, smiley
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by gamugaza: 9:55pm On Mar 18, 2007
[b][/b][pre][/pre][color=#770077][/color] [b]MY dear nairalanders, lets put sentiments apart, any sound computer user would pass the test.
Its also to reduce population and overhead cost in training of employed staff.
The customer service jo entails the use of excel and word.So you guys that failed go to the net and see the duty and skills required of a customer service agent.well i passed. congrats mishie and you guys that were successful pls lets all prepare for the interview cos i learnt its all aout case studies and individual approach in solving customers problems in the airport. cheerio and see u all on the Job.
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by Nobody: 8:08am On Mar 19, 2007
correct guy/gal! all the best!
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by ekunit(f): 4:06pm On Mar 19, 2007
@ Crito
Interview Stage? please i did the test on thursday too and passed and i havent heard anything from them,i hope my fone has not done me in o.please if you have any useful info kindly let me know
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by Duwizzle(m): 4:37pm On Mar 22, 2007
So has anyone heard anything from VNA concerning an interview? by the way what is the interview stage like? Do they like put you in the centre of a room and pound you? lol. jus kidding. So pls holla if anyone's got info. Cheers
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by crito(m): 9:28pm On Mar 22, 2007
i have not heard from VNA yet too,
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by numbers: 8:22am On Mar 23, 2007
@burn, I did the test too and it was a walk through the park thanks to this forum I knew about the timing,my advice is always research on company tests and interviews before hand.
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by Duwizzle(m): 9:09am On Mar 23, 2007
@numbers,
Well said good sir or ma depending on your gender. Nairaland is filled with amazing individuals. It shows the hope in Nigeria's future. Nice one!!
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by crito(m): 10:29am On Mar 23, 2007
yeah you are rite.
no long thing.
smiley smiley smiley
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by babycool(f): 5:58pm On Mar 27, 2007
These V
Re: Computer Ability Test Of Virgin Nigeria by babycool(f): 6:02pm On Mar 27, 2007
These Virgin Nigeria people could be very funny, they didnt call me for the computer test when they were calln others but calld me a week sfter when i was on my way out of the country, i asked for a rechsdule becos i was to leave the country a day b4, they said they would see waht they can do, i guess i am just bench warming now undecided

(1) (Reply)

Letter Of Employment From Ascon Oil Coy Nig Ltd / Please How Much Do Nestle Pay Their I.T Students? / Interview By Inter-arc Consultants Ltd.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.