Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,758 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness (46371 Views)

I Have Bsc In Wildlife Can I Further My Masters In Psychology In The UK / UNILAG Medical Students Slept Outside In School Due To Power Outage / Studying Psychology In Nigeria: What Are The Pros And Cons? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by lilfreezy: 9:11pm On Apr 17, 2018
lipsrsealed
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by oyetunder(m): 9:11pm On Apr 17, 2018
streetfabulous:
Please explain to mama the difference between psychiatry and psychology and she'll be just fine. cheesy
Those in charge of the unstable ones are far better. They are treating mental instability while the phychos are even ready to treat sane minds. Mama Africa will not listen at all.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by akum78: 9:11pm On Apr 17, 2018
SCIENCE STUDENT
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by helphelp: 9:12pm On Apr 17, 2018
joro olumofin never mad na
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 9:14pm On Apr 17, 2018
Lifeofpolice1:
after studying so called psychology he will still be in his dad house doing feed me psychology

#unemploymentisbad
Nawa so everyone would be unemployed after school.Speak for yourself some people have plans either they learn a skill or start up a business.Government cannot employ everyone you create jobs for yourself.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Nobody: 9:14pm On Apr 17, 2018
Newsprex:
Am an undergraduate in the University of Ibadan. I study Psychology as my course but my mum won't just allow me read the course in peace. She keeps telling and frustrating me that Psychology is the study of MADNESS.

The more people keeps discouraging her about the bad side of the course, the more she keeps discouraging and frustrating me to rewrite JAMB and choose another course. Meanwhile, she can't read nor write. She has a very strange mentality that can't be changed even if you advice her till 100 years to come.

Please, what should I do? Should I quit or just continue my stuff?
That ur department failed me in Fss204, i narrowly survived DR Adejuwon's Psy 102, God save me with Prof Balogun's Course also....
Psy is interesting though but very easy to fail..

As for ur mum, just tel her u crossed to POLS...That's what i tel my mum anytime she ask what i am studying at the university..
She's more concerned about employability.. Trust me...BTW, what level are u?

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by 360command: 9:16pm On Apr 17, 2018
Huh
Newbeginnings:

Don't you dare give up a course because your mum thinks its about the stuy of madness... Never try...

Here is what I want you to do.... pscyhology is like a dead course here in Nigeria and it is not easy to find a job... Look around and make research on people who studied the course and are well to do here in Nigeria, also look for men/women in high places who studied the course.... Then look for opportunites in that field.. Like computer science has many openings in IT, Digital marketing, app development and web development.. Thse are all jobs, so find the ones available in psycholgoy I wanted to study pscyhology too, but the course has a lot of loopholes, I had to look for the opportunities available and look deeper into my passion. I later opted for biochemistry. It is almost the same but it has more opportunities and I am still able to study psychology....

Here is the qeustion you should ask yourself. Why do you want to study psychology, is it because of your passion or because of the opportunities it presents..

If it is because you love the course then I advice you to think harder, you can opt for another course and go to school and still study pscyhology while studying the other course... As I speak I am studying Economics even though I am biochemistry student.... I love economics its my passion, but biochemistry has a lot of opportunties and you can also do that... It will help you secure your future and still keep your passion in check..

Don't listen to anyone telling you that things will be better in Nigeria, expect the person promises you a job or to pay your school fees... Study a course that will give you opportunities and also study your passion while in school....

nonsense, even with biochemistry, there is no bright future.. I have numerous guys who did biochem.. No job for them . The ones who did masters, did not further in biochem
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Buffalo2(m): 9:18pm On Apr 17, 2018
Tell her that you've changed ur course to psychological banking and finance
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Talkwell: 9:19pm On Apr 17, 2018
BlueRayDick:
No offence, How educated is your mum?
Ok lemme put it this way ; how exposed is she?

You see all these our elderly ones always have this believe they have seen it all and know almost everything. Except she knows someone that studied the same course and was mentally derailed I will suggest you don’t listen to her and do your thing.

When you start making money from the so called madness she will come around.

What part of "she can't read nor write" didn't you understand
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Newbeginnings(m): 9:22pm On Apr 17, 2018
360command:
Huh nonsense, even with biochemistry, there is no bright future.. I have numerous guys who did biochem.. No job for them . The ones who did masters, did not further in biochem

Sorry, but I am not one of those Nigerians who hope that thigns will be better, but instead I make things better... With a first class result and my masters and various connections... I hope to start in Emzor Pharmaceuticals (if you have heard of it).. With that head start a good portfolio will keep me afloat
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Nobody: 9:22pm On Apr 17, 2018
Very funny. Where did she hear that from?

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by MrHistorian: 9:22pm On Apr 17, 2018
Babablogger.

Priscademmy.

Come and laugh with me. grin

BTW, OP. Since you said she can't read nor write, things are better that way. Just tell her you have switched to one of the courses she prefers. There's no way she can ascertain if you did or not, she believes whatever you tell her.

And bother less about employability, just do your thing and excel. Excellence is everywhere!!!

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Softmojo(m): 9:23pm On Apr 17, 2018
just wondering.

if she cant read or write. Then why the fuss.
how would she know if you have changed your course or not.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by sallyopy(f): 9:24pm On Apr 17, 2018
Newbeginnings:

Don't you dare give up a course because your mum thinks its about the stuy of madness... Never try...

Here is what I want you to do.... pscyhology is like a dead course here in Nigeria and it is not easy to find a job... Look around and make research on people who studied the course and are well to do here in Nigeria, also look for men/women in high places who studied the course.... Then look for opportunites in that field.. Like computer science has many openings in IT, Digital marketing, app development and web development.. Thse are all jobs, so find the ones available in psycholgoy I wanted to study pscyhology too, but the course has a lot of loopholes, I had to look for the opportunities available and look deeper into my passion. I later opted for biochemistry. It is almost the same but it has more opportunities and I am still able to study psychology....

Here is the qeustion you should ask yourself. Why do you want to study psychology, is it because of your passion or because of the opportunities it presents..

If it is because you love the course then I advice you to think harder, you can opt for another course and go to school and still study pscyhology while studying the other course... As I speak I am studying Economics even though I am biochemistry student.... I love economics its my passion, but biochemistry has a lot of opportunties and you can also do that... It will help you secure your future and still keep your passion in check..

Don't listen to anyone telling you that things will be better in Nigeria, expect the person promises you a job or to pay your school fees... Study a course that will give you opportunities and also study your passion while in school....

best response
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by francisduru: 9:27pm On Apr 17, 2018
Na Free Madness..... Watin she know self

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by castrol180(m): 9:28pm On Apr 17, 2018
Newsprex:
Am an undergraduate in the University of Ibadan. I study Psychology as my course but my mum won't just allow me read the course in peace. She keeps telling and frustrating me that Psychology is the study of MADNESS.

The more people keeps discouraging her about the bad side of the course, the more she keeps discouraging and frustrating me to rewrite JAMB and choose another course. Meanwhile, she can't read nor write. She has a very strange mentality that can't be changed even if you advice her till 100 years to come.

Stop going home in order to shun those who are making things worse...I also studied the interesting course (scientific study of human behaviours and its mental correlate) and today I am an Environmental Psychologist doing well as a teacher and counsellor with a government school now.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Klington: 9:28pm On Apr 17, 2018
cool cool

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Intrepid01(m): 9:30pm On Apr 17, 2018
Newbeginnings:

Sorry, but I am not one of those Nigerians who hope that thigns will be better, but instead I make things better... With a first class result and my masters and various connections... I hope to start in Emzor Pharmaceuticals (if you have heard of it).. With that head start a good portfolio will keep me afloat

Hmmm...sure boy, too much connections....don't worry, we'll be here waiting for you....

Na so you get connection reach, you end up in psychology....talk say na him you choose for jamb make I hear!

call first class like say na beans!.....secondary school still full your body....your eyes go soon clear....
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by MrHistorian: 9:30pm On Apr 17, 2018
olatunji21:

That ur department failed me in Fss204, i narrowly survived DR Adejuwon's Psy 102, God save me with Prof Balogun's Course also....
Psy is interesting though but very easy to fail..

As for ur mum, just tel her u crossed to POLS...That's what i tel my mum anytime she ask what i am studying at the university..
She's more concerned about employability.. Trust me...BTW, what level are u?
Things we go through at home though. But you shouldn't have lied shaa. grin

And is Political Science that lucrative? Lool, another fallacy that have stayed too long. Generally, the non-science academic field has limited employment opportunities with few exceptions though.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by DonCortino: 9:31pm On Apr 17, 2018
your mum is not enlightened!

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by James4424: 9:33pm On Apr 17, 2018
Study the course and help your mom . you can see that there is no rationality in you dropping the course
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Newbeginnings(m): 9:35pm On Apr 17, 2018
Intrepid01:

Hmmm...sure boy, too much connections....don't worry, we'll be here waiting for you....

Na so you get connection reach, you end up in psychology....talk say na him you choose for jamb make I hear!

call first class like say na beans!.....secondary school still full your body....your eyes go soon clear....

I'm not studying pyschology oooo.... biochem...... and school hard like mad... Only the trekking na die and I don port go Aba made sandals... no more gucci nonsense wey dey wear out...

But in the end.. I came to school for one reason and that is why I only make friends with lecturers and also I don't have a social life, no girlfriends and just 2 friends who love book die.....

that is how we roll, it is a very big sacrifice (something everything becomes so boring), but I need that cert)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Nobody: 9:40pm On Apr 17, 2018
Where are all these funny thread springing up from today? I have been laughing uncontrollably.

well psychology is the study of man behaviour and i did it as a borrowed course back in 100 and 200 lever, I love it so much, psychology, law physics and Philosophy are courses I don't joke with.

Your mom has a myopic view due to here little understanding in other words, she is miseducated so it's your place to prove her wrong, continue with your course, always explain basic things to her and why things happen, how and remedy to said situation/episode.

finally pursue your career, your mom lacks that standard of education experience to guide you on this one.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by shakyum: 9:43pm On Apr 17, 2018
Just tell ur mum that u want to do change of course, collect like 5k from her, come back like l week and tell her u did change of course, since she can't read or write she will believe u.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by olumighty2018(m): 9:44pm On Apr 17, 2018
[quote author=Newsprex post=66788959]Am an undergraduate in the University of Ibadan. I study Psychology as my course but my mum won't just allow me read the course in peace. She keeps telling and frustrating me that Psychology is the study of MADNESS.

Please, what should I do? Should I quit or just continue my stuff?[/quote

don't mind anyone saying Psychology is not relevant in Nigeria or u av limited opportunities. At the moment, getting a job largely depends on connection and not the course, as a psychologist u av opportunities and I mean opportunities. More so, u might find yourself in Canada or USA very soon where psy and sow are well appreciated. Tell you mum u will write another JAMB but u won't leave the course until u are able to get admission for another course because it's difficult to get admission in Nigeria now, at the same time u will find people to convince her, u don't need to write the JAMB, at the end of the day u will just tell her u av tried but couldn't get admission for another course
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Dramadiddy(m): 9:49pm On Apr 17, 2018
Newbeginnings:

true in some part wrong in some part, if it's his passion he can create a living out of it. people are hurting their mental health with drugs and it's gonna get worse, people like him will be needed unless, wrong treatments are gonna be given. it's a daring course you're studying OP
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Newbeginnings(m): 9:53pm On Apr 17, 2018
Dramadiddy:
true in some part wrong in some part, if it's his passion he can create a living out of it. people are hurting their mental health with drugs and it's gonna get worse, people like him will be needed unless, wrong treatments are gonna be given. it's a daring course you're studying OP

People are hurting themselves with drugs, the question remains is do they want the treatment or not...

I know a lot of health bloggers who stopped posting things about Nigeria and focused on America bedcause Nigerians know that health is wealth but don't care... They keep living their lives until disease nack them... In America therapists/psychologists are very important nad even the poorest of the poor have them.... The question I want to ask you is if you have ever visited one in your life... they are the ones that help with relationship, family and personal problems...
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by seguno2: 9:56pm On Apr 17, 2018
Newsprex:

The man isn't living with us. Too far to be reached easily. I just need someone that will advice her greatly. I don tire to dey explain and the people living with me are making the situation worst.

You are an attention seeking joker who should be ignored by youths who are not inconsequential.
SMH.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Jhayeahsam01(m): 9:59pm On Apr 17, 2018
let her write waec too meanwhile she can't read nor write
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by MrFly(m): 10:00pm On Apr 17, 2018
U are already driving her mad...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Mires: 10:09pm On Apr 17, 2018
Several advise have been given to you. I wish I am in Ui at the moment, I would have made myself available to talk to you in person. However, of a truth, psychology isn't a bad course. Several years ago, I was offered the course in one of the federal Universities in Nigeria when I couldn't secure admission to study my desired course having scored 204 in JAMB. I actually turned it down and people around me were like why. The reason wasn't far-fetched. It was tied to the fact that I needed to study what I desired. And years after I was glad that I didn't rush to accept any course not even after scoring 250 in JAMB the subsequent year.

To be candid with you, in today's Nigeria, course of study is immaterial. I would have also said that class of graduation is immaterial. However, why I reserve some comment, concentrate on your study and try to make a minimum of 2.1. If age is on your side after graduation, you are in a path way to secure white collar job in well established organizations such as KPMG, financial institutions, etc.

Above all, course of study doesn't determines wealth. It's all about grace. I personally don't want to mention my discipline but have seen several 2.1 holders and MSc in the field with good results that are unemployed. It's a discipline that 100% of people will say "yes". Pray to God to blessed the works of your hands.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness by Nwaohafia1: 10:12pm On Apr 17, 2018
Newsprex:

Same way my dad had issues in studying ECONOMICS in the university because they couldn't translate ECONOMICS in Igbo to his uncle without saying" the study of stinginess"

Choose between your mum and your future

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Meet Ake Agatha: The First Female SU President In Benue State University Makurdi / See Where Students Of Orizu College Of Education Charge Their Phones / 15 Best Uncommon Courses To Study In Nigeria In 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.