Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? (32462 Views)

Is Medicine And Surgery Worth All The Admission Stress? / Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? / OAU Medicine And Surgery Cut-off Mark 304 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by seunO4: 5:06pm On Apr 19, 2018
Not only in medicine, every other fields inclusive

2 Likes

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Marvel1206: 6:10pm On Apr 19, 2018
Lalasticlala mynd44.

Now this is a post

2 Likes

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Billionboi: 6:54pm On Apr 19, 2018
That was then
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by dokJ: 7:04pm On Apr 19, 2018
in my next life, I ll still b a DOCTOR God willing. I love d profession!

8 Likes

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by GreatSuccess: 7:08pm On Apr 19, 2018
dokJ:
in my next life, I ll still b a DOCTOR God willing. I love d profession!

That's your own cup of tea!!!!

9 Likes

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by chnovpaul(m): 7:09pm On Apr 19, 2018
I studied medicine and have practiced for about four years before I decided to take a break and explore other areas.

I agree with the OP in that there are many people who should have been in other sectors but are currently trapped in the hospital. Please note that Nigeria needs as many doctors as it can get, but a lot of the brains in medicine will be maximized somewhere else -agriculture, banking, etc. Unfortunately, the society believes studying medicine is supreme, and as such every brilliant kid should go for medicine.

Even though things are changing, I think we need a lot more of counselors to help kids make the right decisions as to their career. It's best if a kid goes for what's the right fit for him/her right from the start and not waste time like many of us did.

Many of my colleagues aren't practicing anymore - for various reasons though. We've realized that practicing medicine isn't giving us that avenue to make significant impact, and we've decided to explore and check out areas where we can maximize our potential and become who we really wanna be.

But for whoever ends up studying medicine, the rigor and challenge of the training will mould the fellow into becoming a better person, and perhaps ready for any area of life.

So, maybe our parents weren't that wrong after all. Maybe they knew why they wanted kids to study medicine...

17 Likes

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by pxjosh(m): 7:09pm On Apr 19, 2018
Study Pharmacy and live like a king! cheesy grin

12 Likes

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by kense88: 7:10pm On Apr 19, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

Medicine is bad very bad but law is worse. I am waiting for someone to create a thread on lawyers. In school they all work with their shoulders high up but today 90 percent are in abject poverty.
Lol, abject poverty is an understatement. Most keke drivers earn more than an average lawyer in Nigeria. The country is unbelievable useless.

3 Likes

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Sterope(f): 7:11pm On Apr 19, 2018
@icewinz

When next you are sick, don't be a big hypocrite by visiting the GP.

Also, what did you study to begin with? undecided

1 Like

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Apr 19, 2018
eleojo23:

How many of them will get to work in Canada or UK?

Let's be realistic...

Those countries are not very easy to enter like you portray it.

Canada is difficult, UK, much better, because their own doctors are running to places like Australia
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by thiolhuwar09(f): 7:21pm On Apr 19, 2018
In a country like ours, medicine is overhyped due to our parents mindset but we still need more doctors and other health team

In an ideal hospital, there should be a doctor to 1-5 patients but that's not happening in our country. I believe there's more for the government to do concerning the health sector.

Also not all nurses or doctors strafe themselves. There a alot of honourable ones among them

4 Likes

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by doyinbaby(f): 7:24pm On Apr 19, 2018
If you are a doctor ... just travel abroad where you r labour will be well rewarded
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Apr 19, 2018
so what will u pple say about VETERINARY MEDICINE in Nigeria then?
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by otokx(m): 7:27pm On Apr 19, 2018
From my experience, Medicine and Surgery is not over hyped, the only problem is that our Nigerian psyche has been bastardized and some people believe certain disciplines can provide an escape from poverty.

A teacher was telling me how intelligent her daughter is, how she got 252 last year and was not admitted to medicine so she opted for the pre degree program. This year she got 232 and wants to know her chances, she went on to say her daughter got at least 40/50 in her 1st semester exam and was from Imo State. We had to counsel her that 232 going by last years criteria is nothing to write home about, we also told her that children of nowadays are experts in telling lies. We had her get the daughters ID no and rechecked the 1st semester result online and her least score turned out to be 17 with an aggregate of 128/250 which is fail. The woman suddenly became ashamed but was still muttering that she wants the daughters life to be better than hers. Now this woman is a teacher so imagine what a farmer or trader will be thinking. She has gone to do a change of course in Jamb from Medicine to Human Physiology. Jamb is really making money off Nigerians.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Jboogie912: 7:29pm On Apr 19, 2018
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
CAPITAL NO

1 Like

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Originalsly: 7:40pm On Apr 19, 2018
Hmmm...is it worth the attention? If you become a doctor today.... where would you be working?...how much would be your salary?...is it worth the time and money spent to get to this point?... and finally...is there a bright road ahead?
Not saying being a doctor is not important...but this is the 21st century... in the information age... doctors are no longer all knowing..... their diagnosis and prescriptions can easily be challenged by clients...thanks to Google. Wayyy more people self diagnose..... and find treatments on their own.
The ever increasing number of new drugs and ones becoming obsolete make it necessary for a doctor to never stop studying nor updating his knowledge. Not only drugs. ..but also equipment and medical procedures. What a doctor learns in his first two years...by the time he becomes a full doctor.... all that is obsolete. ..and we wonder why sooo many of our doctors and surgeons are passed over for any serious condition....lack of up to date info...lack of proper equipment..lack of efficient support staff. If it's the person's life long passion......then doctor is worth it.
Should someone today ask me what field to get into...auto mechanics.....lots of new cars ..outdated mechanics. Elevator repairs...refrigeration. ..these are skills that are in great demand...and the demand will be growing.

3 Likes

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by CandidNotes: 7:47pm On Apr 19, 2018
Those who can, do. Those who can't, criticize.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Apr 19, 2018
Stallion93:
Toh! Medicine and Law dan cast, well what should we expect in A Shithole country? I guess the way out now is to acquire some Computer(Hardware or software) skill and leave this country
am studying computer engineering and am crying because I applied for that course thinking I would get something out of it and at least impress my folks.. , am not good in math and I thought we would be doing more of programming than calculations am am good at certain programming languages but man anything engineering is for those that are good at math and calculation. Me am just tired of school, need to graduate anyhow so I can focus on my business and improve on it

2 Likes

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by olylove: 7:50pm On Apr 19, 2018
My brother... I am currently serving now, this medical guys are collecting N100K me my PPA no de pay shingbin and u say thunder will not fire somebody

4 Likes

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by zagorakis(m): 7:56pm On Apr 19, 2018
Me am just tired of school, need to graduate anyhow
Words of a failure.. Change ur mindset.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Worldbest281: 8:00pm On Apr 19, 2018
medicine is overrated no be today

1 Like

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Yankee101: 8:08pm On Apr 19, 2018
Yes
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Montez90: 8:11pm On Apr 19, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

Medicine is bad very bad but law is worse. I am waiting for someone to create a thread on lawyers. In school they all work with their shoulders high up but today 90 percent are in abject poverty.
how about the ones in high court?
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Wizedoc(m): 8:14pm On Apr 19, 2018
CandidNotes:
Those who can, do. Those who can't, criticize.
With just eight words and one sentence, you ended every deliberation. You too gbaski

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by streamsofjoy(f): 8:18pm On Apr 19, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

I put it to u that law is not worst lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:18pm On Apr 19, 2018
streamsofjoy:

I put it to u that law is not worst lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Which one is the worst?
Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by Dnevasaynevaguy: 8:22pm On Apr 19, 2018
I also studied M&S.
Worked a couple of years ,took a break,
Delved into business as an experiment.Doing way much better than consultants in the hospital.
I can afford summer holidays with the family and what have you.
But it is important to state that what helps me most in business is my approach to problems like i was still in the hospital.
I always have a mamagement plan whenever i face crisis in business.
Medical thinking made me who i am now.

chnovpaul:
I studied medicine and have practiced for about four years before I decided to take a break and explore other areas.

I agree with the OP in that there are many people who should have been in other sectors but are currently trapped in the hospital. Please note that Nigeria needs as many doctors as it can get, but a lot of the brains in medicine will be maximized somewhere else -agriculture, banking, etc. Unfortunately, the society believes studying medicine is supreme, and as such every brilliant kid should go for medicine.

Even though things are changing, I think we need a lot more of counselors to help kids make the right decisions as to their career. It's best if a kid goes for what's the right fit for him/her right from the start and not waste time like many of us did.

Many of my colleagues aren't practicing anymore - for various reasons though. We've realized that practicing medicine isn't giving us that avenue to make significant impact, and we've decided to explore and check out areas where we can maximize our potential and become who we really wanna be.

But for whoever ends up studying medicine, the rigor and challenge of the training will mould the fellow into becoming a better person, and perhaps ready for any area of life.

So, maybe our parents weren't that wrong after all. Maybe they knew why they wanted kids to study medicine...

5 Likes

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by streamsofjoy(f): 8:26pm On Apr 19, 2018
The bulk of the blame goes to our parents. I have a neighbor who is so mad about the doctor thing to the extent that he already calls his son a doctor Becos he wants him to study medicine, and from all indication the boy is not even good in sciences but his parents have chosen for him and he cannot do otherwise.

4 Likes

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by AlphaT1(m): 8:27pm On Apr 19, 2018
icewinz:
Medicine and Surgery; Is It Truly Worth The Attention It Gets?

I woke up at about 6am, said my prayers and exited the room only to find a flock of birds flying past the roof. Amazingly, the hens and cocks were stretching their feathers and feeling awesome not minding nor even noticing the height of their counterparts.

I logged on to facebook to see if she replied the chats I sent her last night but NO, she didn't. It's obvious she is sad. It's her third year of applying for Medicine and Surgery and this time, she was offered provisional admission to study Food Science and Technology. I could guess, she felt her dreams has been shattered again.

I care for her a lot but I just couldn't find a means to pacify her so I kept my cool.

I've had the privilege of meeting prospective undergraduates on various occasions and their clamour for Medicine and Surgery is alarming. Sometimes it's very difficult to ascertain what fuels their desire.

Why do you want to Study Medicine? Most of them don't seem to have any answer.

They either grew up in an Igbo family where the parents so much believe that the way out of poverty and lack is for their ward to become a medical doctor or while in secondary school, they belonged to a class where 90% of the brilliant ones kept singing Medicine and because they didn't want to feel less than equal, they joined the bandwagon.

Every year, thousands of students apply for Medicine, yet, very few get admitted.

11,130 candidates applied for Medicine and Surgery in UNN alone and not more than 200 will be admitted.
It's is already clear that more than 10,000 will be denied admission.

Same with other 24 FULLY accredited Medical schools in Nigeria.

Only about 1.6% of people who apply for Medicine in Nigeria get admitted yearly.

And only 56% of the admitted students end up becoming doctors.

If you successfully scale through the 6years spent in school, getting a placement for housemanship within the stipulated 2years becomes another bridge to cross. If you eventually end up not getting a place, you will have to resit your final exams this time conducted by the Medical body not your school and you will have to pay plus the high failure rate involved.

Looking at the stress in the journey to becoming a doctor, one should be able to vow that these guys should be the most successful set of people in the society but unfortunately, the reality is different.

Failure in Marriage:
Whatever business, ministry or profession that takes a toll on your family life has made you a failure and that is the predicament of most Doctors. I read an article where an American Medical Body reacted to a medical divorce research by saying only 23% of Doctors have a failed marriage as against the 27% earlier proven, what difference does it make?

I don't have a problem with the statistics because in Nigeria, you will rarely find any divorce case but I've been to Doctors' houses and to be sincere, their wives suffer lack of attention and so do their kids. But the Nigerian culture has taught ladies to tolerate till Jesus comes. In the book 'for men only', 80% of the women interviewed said they would rather suffer financial insufficiency in their homes than lack of attention from their spouse.

He goes to work even on Sundays, he never thinks of taking his family on a vacation, he comes home by 9pm and is so exhausted to chat with his wife and as he lays to sleep, two hours later, the nurse is on the phone 'Doctor there is an emergency' and he rushes out by 11pm and that is the profession that thousands of deceived Nigerian students wants.

Financially:
Doctors are not poor but very few of them are rich. 300k per month, you have a wife and children, you have house rent to settle and have other family members who has a perception that you are rich so they make demands on you. I've never seen a Doctor riding a Range Rover, you only see them on Toyota Camry, Corolla, Honda and other 1-2million naira cars.

Business:
If they invest in other businesses, maybe things will be better. I was with a Doctor in the Medical Centre here and he began lamenting that even if he wants to do anything like business, he won't have time for it and people will end up taking advantage of him. Moreso, if at the workplace, they realize that you have investments, you will be denied certain financial privileges.

I am not despising the medical profession, as I can't deny the fact that the society can't survive without them. I am only worried that an individual spends 7years resitting Jamb simply because he wants to study Medicine.

Come to a gathering and introduce yourself as a medical doctor, nobody will bow to you, outside the school setting what speaks is your
Success in life not your A in Pathology.

How many less privileged kids have you given a reason to smile by sending them to school? How many homes have your existence deleted poverty from their lineage. Therein lies fulfilment.

We need doctors, don't get me wrong but our quest for the medical profession is not worth it. It has crippled rich minds, buried companies that would have been providing 10,000 jobs today and hidden business potentials and leadership models in the chocking atmosphere of the hospital.

So guys, don't feel bad if you not admitted to study Medicine, settle for anything. It's your imagination in life that counts not your IQ. Make the best out your life wherever you find yourself.

Share your opinions please.
I refused to apply for medicine in my JAMB against my dad's wish, it wasn't an easy battle but eventually I won and when I showed him my acct balance just after NYSC, he had to apologize and admit that he was wrong to try to force me into what wasn't my interest. Interestingly almost all my guys who went for MBBS are now consultants or senior registrars (we were intelligent boys and girls) and they are all my 'boys' 'for account balance level'.

5 Likes

Re: Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? by streamsofjoy(f): 8:28pm On Apr 19, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

Which one is the worst?

Me I no know o, I just dey talk ni o, na as God go take distinguish me for my own field I dey pray.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See This Ss1 Mathematics Questions / University Of Benin Students (undergraduate/graduate) Chatroom / Can You Solve This Without Calculator?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.