Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth (2664 Views)

2 Reliable Ways To Identify An Unknown Caller ID Without Using A Truecaller / How To Save Whatsapp Status Without Using Any Status Saver App / WhatsApp Allows You To ‘Put Words In People’s Mouth’ In New Feature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by Tarivanessa(f): 11:47am On Apr 19, 2018
Researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have created a headset called AlterEgo.
Amazingly, the headset can transcribe your thoughts, we saw a similar idea and concept from an episode of Black Mirror but now it’s in reality’s fruition.

The new device is supposed to be worn on the face, and electrodes pick up signals from your jaw and face that are triggered by internal thoughts but are undetectable to the human eye.

These signals picked up by the electrodes are then fed to a machine – learning system that’s trained to associate certain signals with certain words. The system also contains a pair of bone -conduction headphones, which transmit vibrations through the bones of the face to the inner ear.

This enables the system to carry out information to the user without interrupting their conversation.

“At the moment, the use of those devices is very disruptive.

“If I want to look something up that’s relevant to a conversation I’m having, I have to find my phone and type in the passcode and open an app and type in some search keyword, and the whole thing requires that I completely shift attention from my environment and the people that I’m with to the phone itself.“So, my students and I have for a very long time been experimenting with new form factors and new types of experience that enable people to still benefit from all the wonderful knowledge and services that these devices give us, but do it in a way that lets them remain in the present.”

To develop properly the efficiency of the AlterEgo device, the researchers first had to determine which parts of the face are the sources of the reliable neuromuscular signals.

To do this, they conducted a survey and asked several people to say a series of words, while wearing a range of electrodes on their face.

This allowed them to distinguish where on the face different sounds are vocalised.

The resulting headset is around 92 percent accurate, but the researchers believe that this should improve with more training data.

source http://www.infinix.club/forum/197/371850

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by IdeyFindWife: 11:59am On Apr 19, 2018
Tarivanessa:
Researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have created a headset called AlterEgo.
Amazingly, the headset can transcribe your thoughts, we saw a similar idea and concept from an episode of Black Mirror but now it’s in reality’s fruition.

The new device is supposed to be worn on the face, and electrodes pick up signals from your jaw and face that are triggered by internal thoughts but are undetectable to the human eye.

These signals picked up by the electrodes are then fed to a machine – learning system that’s trained to associate certain signals with certain words. The system also contains a pair of bone -conduction headphones, which transmit vibrations through the bones of the face to the inner ear.

This enables the system to carry out information to the user without interrupting their conversation.

“If I want to look something up that’s relevant to a conversation I’m having, I have tfornd my phone and type in the passcode and open an app and type in some search keyword, and the whole thing requires that I completely shift attention from my environment and the people that I’m with to the phone itself.“So, my students and I have for a very long time been experimenting with new form factors and new types of experience that enable people to still benefit from all the wonderful knowledge and services that these devices give us, but do it in a way that lets them remain in the present.”

To develop properly the efficiency of the AlterEgo device, the researchers first had to determine which parts of the face are the sources of the reliable neuromuscular signals.

To do this, they conducted a survey and asked several people to say a series of words, while wearing a range of electrodes on their face.

This allowed them to distinguish where on the face different sounds are vocalised.

The resulting headset is around 92 percent accurate, but the researchers believe that this should improve with more training data.

This should be a good boost of adapted for the speech impaired, nice one.

But such I/o devices would be fun-targets for hackers come some years, we'll wait and see.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by OKUCHI11(m): 4:07am On Apr 20, 2018
jkl
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by Skinnienigga(m): 8:18am On Apr 20, 2018
So wait oh, if I dey talk to girl but I dey think oh how to lash am.. Na so this headpiece go blurt out "Baba wan lash you oh" abi?

This invention is not for everyone oh.

Na yahoo boys go suffer pass sef!

5 Likes

Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by Tarivanessa(f): 10:23am On Apr 20, 2018
Skinnienigga:
So wait oh, if I dey talk to girl but I dey think oh how to lash am.. Na so this headpiece go blurt out "Baba wan lash you oh" abi?

lolz oh my chest grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by OVA200(m): 11:02am On Apr 20, 2018
Things will scatter in Nigeria with this technology
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by Behankey(m): 9:43am On Apr 21, 2018
Abeggiiiiiiii
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by MorataFC: 10:18am On Apr 21, 2018
It will be useful for deaf and dumb people grin
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by Johnsonwise: 11:10am On Apr 21, 2018
Skinnienigga:

loll...bros u wicked oooooo...but Wat that device is awesome
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by Thebusybrain: 11:12am On Apr 21, 2018
MorataFC:
It will be useful for deaf and dumb people grin
yes of course.... People are inventing this day by day!!!
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by Crazythinker: 11:17am On Apr 21, 2018
Ooo boi we call this technology advancement!!! Kudos to the inventor.... How I wish I can invent something like this.... So so impressive!!!
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by Thebusybrain: 11:19am On Apr 21, 2018
Tarivanessa:

“If I want to look something up that’s relevant to a conversation I’m having, I have to find my phone and type in the passcode and open an app and type in some search keyword, and the whole thing requires that I completely shift attention from my environment and the people that I’m with to the phone itself.“So, my students and I have for a very long time been experimenting with new form factors and new types of experience that enable people to still benefit from all the wonderful knowledge and services that these devices give us, but do it in a way that lets them remain in the present.”

neuromuscular signal Wowww
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by Crazythinker: 11:21am On Apr 21, 2018
Thebusybrain:
neuromuscular signal Wowww
no bi small thing oooo
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by Johnsonwise: 11:22am On Apr 21, 2018
Crazythinker:
no bi small thing oooo
my brother we are moving to the end of the world....
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by Crazythinker: 11:25am On Apr 21, 2018
Tarivanessa:

i cannot even imagine me experiencing the function of this device...... Lollll
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by Thebusybrain: 11:29am On Apr 21, 2018
Tarivanessa:

omo!!! This device reminds me of "Professor" in X-men movie!!! This is awesome!!!
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by Crazythinker: 11:30am On Apr 21, 2018
Thebusybrain:
omo!!! This device reminds me of "Professor" in X-men movie!!! This is awesome!!!
na so
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by 4kings: 11:43am On Apr 21, 2018
Ya, seen this before with Emotiv.
Though it constrained for now, to set of trained examples with a particular test set(people).
So you have to train it on what you think and corresponding action/words to learn and generate a model for use later on. So it just can't read people's mind without being trained for now.

Here's a short video demonstrating it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bposG6XHXvU

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by incometojah: 5:33pm On Apr 21, 2018
IdeyFindWife:

But such I/o devices would be fun-targets for hackers come some years, we'll wait and see.
my bro u are right. let's watch out

2 Likes

Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by incometojah: 5:35pm On Apr 21, 2018
Skinnienigga:

Lolzzz..Azin eerhn.. the thing go really cast person
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by surest07: 7:19pm On Apr 21, 2018

Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by surest07: 7:25pm On Apr 21, 2018
Tarivanessa:

Nice feature but will b deadly since it can expose someones thought
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by incometojah: 7:27pm On Apr 21, 2018
surest07:
Nice feature but will b deadly since it can expose someones thought
Lolzzz it will b very good for deaf and dumb individuals
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by incometojah: 7:29pm On Apr 21, 2018
Tarivanessa:

this is a very good technology but we should all b aware that it can be deadly
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by incometojah: 7:30pm On Apr 21, 2018
incometojah:

very deadly
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by iamtojah(m): 7:31pm On Apr 21, 2018
incometojah:

Nice feature advancement in technology
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by Sarhyd(m): 7:35pm On Apr 21, 2018
This is nice and at the same time not nice because it invades privacy
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by zamanient: 8:35pm On Apr 21, 2018
IdeyFindWife:

the tin movr me
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by zamanient: 8:36pm On Apr 21, 2018
Sarhyd:
This is nice and at the same time not nice because it invades privacy
thats how it sopos to be
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by zamanient: 8:36pm On Apr 21, 2018
iamtojah:

Nice feature advancement in technology
yech leads the way forward
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by zamanient: 8:37pm On Apr 21, 2018
incometojah:

i love tech
Re: New Headset Enables You To Talk Without Using Your Mouth by kasim1: 8:42pm On Apr 21, 2018
incometojah:

mehn nice pice

(1) (2) (Reply)

Summary Of The First MTN 5G Network Trial In Abuja, Nigeria / Redmi Note 9 Pro, Note 9 Price & Release Date In India: Specifications And Leaks / Tecno Camon 15 Premier DISSTRACK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.