Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

Using Car Engine For Generator - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Using Car Engine For Generator (13288 Views)

What’s Your Experience Using Car Batteries Like / Things To Note When Using Car Air Conditioning / Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by chloedogie(m): 8:34am On Apr 20, 2018
Ekiseme:
ban dey hungry u embarassed

You people won't kuku kee me this early morning. Both the two of you yaf keel me with lafffff. That guy's comment on mynd4 opinion is life threatening and u come talk say na ban with that smiling cat kuku kill me. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by mumureloaded(m): 8:34am On Apr 20, 2018
come to my area, nearly all welder use it. it's powerful more than the conventional one though
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by DIKEnaWAR: 8:39am On Apr 20, 2018
Readonee35L:
It exists . i saw one in oyingbo in 2016. Picture attached.
i dont know what engine it is but i can tell its very powerful . it was used by a welder for welding

All you need is a coil for any engine to generate electricity. Big generators are actually earthmoving equipments engine with coils. In the engine, we measure the power in cylinder, on the electrical side, we measure by kv. Any big generator must have a mechanic and an electrician to work on it cos they are two different areas.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by 400billionman: 8:43am On Apr 20, 2018
tahoe:
Possible but the car engine will die in a short period because car engines were not designed to work 100% all the time
cheesy which car are you talking about that will die? People have been using vehicle engines to fabricate generators for a long time. People drive 10 hours non stop sometimes 15 to 18 hours intermittently. So which car engine are you describing? People who run generators TDB don't run it more than 12 hours daily otherwise they have 2 or 3 standby generators for maintenance

1 Like

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by 1stNumeroUno: 8:43am On Apr 20, 2018
Nice idea...
For the diesel engine type, the noise will be crazy o. Abi one can get a canopy for it? Experts please shed more light.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by samyyoung1(m): 8:46am On Apr 20, 2018
Seen in Lagos, go oyingbo, welders use dem a lot there
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by 9icetoo(m): 8:47am On Apr 20, 2018
JustCalMeDBoss:
It's a waste of resources because the torque is just too high to drive an alternator for electricity also the advanced gearing system is a waste
huh?
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Nobody: 8:49am On Apr 20, 2018
oyetunder:
Chai...In a country where discos are dancing in the dark, such questions are needed. Go and buy tiger generator...! Stop disturbing us after your presido called us lazy bastards before the whole world.
Brian dead, what brought the president into this matter.. People like you are the reason why this country never gets better, Drop a reasonable comment abeg
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by johnwell(m): 8:52am On Apr 20, 2018
yes, I once saw a technician fabricating a generator with a Nissan Civilian engine, it was cool, low fuel consumption and quiet.

1 Like

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Nobody: 8:53am On Apr 20, 2018
400billionman:
cheesy which car are you talking about that will die? People have been using vehicle engines to fabricate generators for a long time. People drive 10 hours non stop sometimes 15 to 18 hours intermittently. So which car engine are you describing? People who run generators TDB don't run it more than 12 hours daily otherwise they have 2 or 3 standby generators for maintenance
I thought the same too, I think car engines might have long lasting power than our generators, but what about compatibility of alternators so it does not give high voltage or low voltage than required
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by johnwell(m): 8:54am On Apr 20, 2018
400billionman:

the one I saw years back was a Nisan Civilian Engine, it runs all night for more than a year
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by johnwell(m): 8:55am On Apr 20, 2018
Tochyodiks:
I thought the same too, I think car engines might have long lasting power than our generators, but what about compatibility of alternators so it does not give high voltage or low voltage than required

the is how the regulate the injector, the engine runs at a very low RPM
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by bharseeth(m): 9:00am On Apr 20, 2018
Olasultan:
Using car engines to drive powerful and big alternators to provide electricity for homes, factories and offices has long been mastered by Nigerian Technicians.
The usual engine used is Nissan LD20 Diesel Engine and it's Toyota variant.
I have used this type of generator for many years, one of the best technician in this field is Seidu Dairo on 08037358592.
This guy produces 10kva/12kva/15kva for a fraction of the cost and they were very good.

He built mine too

1 Like

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Reference(m): 9:01am On Apr 20, 2018
tahoe:
Possible but the car engine will die in a short period because car engines were not designed to work 100% all the time

Do generators work all of the time, certainly not. The general rule is the smaller the engine and the lighter the fuel, the shorter the run time. So for small gasoline, air cooled engines, I will recommend not operaying the engine beyond 4 hours at a strech if thr engine is to endure the three year optimal service ceiling. For water cooled engines this can be extended to perhaps 6 hours between breaks. For more sophisticated systems with heat sumps and heat exchangers some gasoline engines can run up to 18 hours at a stretch optimally.

For extended times it is better to go for 'thicker skinned or metal alloyed engines which means denser fuels such as diesel or black oil. All these are on the premise that the engines are piston powered. So yes I believe it is possible but maintanance costs will be high and obviously highthe issue of cooling must be sorted out as vehicle engines have the distinctive advantage of flowing air to cool the radiator.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Nobody: 9:01am On Apr 20, 2018
johnwell:

the is how the regulate the injector, the engine runs at a very low RPM
okay,. Must be very a complex process tho, if I even boost my biz it's just to buy one if those engines, elepaq and big tiger are very expensive (over 400k) and people are saying fuel consumption in that car engine is low
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by DedeNkem: 9:01am On Apr 20, 2018
Peacefullife:
I heard from a friend that the engine of a car can be used to make a powerful generator. He went ahead to say that some people are using it already.

Is there any one using it? How does it work? Is it worth it? Do you know who can do it?

Let's discuss this.

Yes, it is possible. Remember, what every engine does is to - generate power.

So you can convert any engine to generate any type of power you need, including electricity.

So enjoy your new electricity generating engine!

1 Like

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Nobody: 9:01am On Apr 20, 2018
Ekiseme:
ban dey hungry u embarassed
grin Im no kno say na chief Mod im dey lash so.
grin
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by 400billionman: 9:02am On Apr 20, 2018
Tochyodiks:
Generators are made from two major components the Engine which provides a rotational movement and the Coil which generates electricity measured in KVA. The rating of the coil determines the amount of Electric power generated. Using a vehicle engine to power a coil of high rating means the vehicle engine will be running at the lowest RPM meaning No firing. It's just like putting on your car engine and allowing it to steam on its own and it's enjoying radiator and coolant. It will last far longer than an engine on the road that goes through various loads of velocity and acceleration

3 Likes

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by clemz85(m): 9:07am On Apr 20, 2018
Peacefullife:
I heard from a friend that the engine of a car can be used to make a powerful generator. He went ahead to say that some people are using it already.

Is there any one using it? How does it work? Is it worth it? Do you know who can do it?

Let's discuss this.

Uncle, the word 'powerful' is rightly used, imagine a 9000w generator uses just 1 piston and cylinder that is not up to 1.0 ltr and we are talking about a 4 cylinder and 1.8 ltr car engine,

Do you know how caterpillar came manufacture heavy duty standby Gens & Tracs

Have you seen a local speed boat powered by toyota camry engine? It out run a double 75hp boat engine

Just get the right tech-guys, go to aba or ikoku PH

1 Like

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by HerXLNC(f): 9:07am On Apr 20, 2018
Yes. Industrial generators are close makes of a truck engine
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Nobody: 9:08am On Apr 20, 2018
400billionman:
Generators are made from two major components the Engine which provides a rotational movement and the Coil which generates electricity measured in KVA. The rating of the coil determines the amount of Electric power generated. Using a vehicle engine to power a coil of high rating means the vehicle engine will be running at the lowest RPM meaning No firing. It's just like putting on your car engine and allowing it to steam on its own and it's enjoying radiator and coolant. It will last far longer than an engine on the road that goes through various loads of velocity and acceleration
wow, are you sure I won't go for this car engine grin so which means it will be more quiet and fuel efficient, but what about load, what load can it carry
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by 400billionman: 9:15am On Apr 20, 2018
Tochyodiks:
wow, are you sure I won't go for this car engine grin so which means it will be more quiet and fuel efficient, but what about load, what load can it carry
The fabricator will advice you on the Coil rating to use.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by oyetunder(m): 9:17am On Apr 20, 2018
Tochyodiks:
Brian dead, what brought the president into this matter.. People like you are the reason why this country never gets better, Drop a reasonable comment abeg
Brain alive. What will u gain by knowing if you can make a generator from car engines? Is that how to advance your Nation technologically? Missh bicycle dynamo brain you are.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Nobody: 9:21am On Apr 20, 2018
400billionman:
The fabricator will advice you on the Coil rating to use.
okay boss thanks
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by luluman: 9:26am On Apr 20, 2018
tahoe:
Doesn't go like that.The set up when used as gen does not involve gear changing, clutch stress , having to carry heavy load etc , so it actually last longer when used as a gen, as a matter of fact: engines that can no longer drive a car effectively are better used as generator.They only need to turn an alternator in just a fixed gear speed not carry people. so they work less.

2 Likes

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Nobody: 9:27am On Apr 20, 2018
oyetunder:
Brain alive. What will u gain by knowing if you can make a generator from car engines? Is that how to advance your Nation technologically? Missh bicycle dynamo brain you are.
innovation can come from anything.. Thomas Edison the inventor of the light bulb you see Today tried 999 times and failed, but you know what, he never failed he just saw 999 ways not to make it work, even at that some his failures resulted in today's diodes one of which powers the led flashlight on your phone, so man stop ranting and use your head

1 Like

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Readonee35L(m): 9:29am On Apr 20, 2018
DIKEnaWAR:

All you need is a coil for any engine to generate electricity. Big generators are actually earthmoving equipments engine with coils. In the engine, we measure the power in cylinder, on the electrical side, we measure by kv. Any big generator must have a mechanic and an electrician to work on it cos they are two different areas.
Quote the op with the message not me
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by rezzy: 9:34am On Apr 20, 2018
luluman:
Doesn't go like that.The set up when used as gen does not involve gear changing, clutch stress , having to carry heavy load etc , so it actually last longer when used as a gen, as a matter of fact: engines that can no longer drive a car effectively are better used as generator.They only need to turn an alternator in just a fixed gear speed not carry people. so they work less.

And we just sold our knocked engine to kolekole.{iron condemn}
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by ablaque(m): 9:38am On Apr 20, 2018
I saw one in ilorin in a mech village called IPATA OLOJE used by a welder wic he claimed he has bn usin it 4 abt 8yrs, its not noisy like many oda gens, fuel efficient, regular servicin. durability is nt a question if u knw hw to maintain a car. the rpm will be set to a particular position based on his load.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by oyetunder(m): 9:40am On Apr 20, 2018
Tochyodiks:
innovation can come from anything.. Thomas Edison the inventor of the light bulb you see Today tried 999 times and failed, but you know what, he never failed he just saw 999 ways not to make it work, even at that some his failures resulted in today's diodes which powers the led flashlight on your phone, so man stop ranting and use your head
Use my head to do what? to reinvent generator from car engine abi? Simple simple science won't even make anybody to ask this SS 2 physics question pls. Who dont you sit down and reinvent rug from mat? People like you are the ones using paper to build toys while begging for investors. Forget innovation pls...renovate your brain first.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by profmsboi(m): 10:13am On Apr 20, 2018
Yeah

My Dad once build one with an Honda engine, it's quiet cool, and consume fuel less
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 10:27am On Apr 20, 2018
9icetoo:
huh?
??

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? / How Did You Choose Your First Car? / Toyota To Share Its Patented Hybrid Car Tech With Other Automakers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.