Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,922 members, 7,806,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:38 PM

Using Car Engine For Generator - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Using Car Engine For Generator (13260 Views)

What’s Your Experience Using Car Batteries Like / Things To Note When Using Car Air Conditioning / Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Using Car Engine For Generator by Peacefullife: 8:20pm On Apr 19, 2018
I heard from a friend that the engine of a car can be used to make a powerful generator. He went ahead to say that some people are using it already.

Is there any one using it? How does it work? Is it worth it? Do you know who can do it?

Let's discuss this.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by tahoe(m): 10:04pm On Apr 19, 2018
Possible but the car engine will die in a short period because car engines were not designed to work 100% all the time

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Peacefullife: 10:13pm On Apr 19, 2018
Great perspective about durability there. Thanks.

I equally imagine how the radiator and other cooling units will be installed. What about a speedometer for a generator? Funny, ern?
tahoe:
Possible but the car engine will die in a short period because car engines were not designed to work 100% all the time
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Readonee35L(m): 11:30pm On Apr 19, 2018
It exists . i saw one in oyingbo in 2016. Picture attached.
i dont know what engine it is but i can tell its very powerful . it was used by a welder for welding

27 Likes

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by hentech911: 3:08am On Apr 20, 2018
I have seen in Enugu, a day I was like wow!.

1 Like

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Nobody: 3:28am On Apr 20, 2018
There's no reason that a car engine cannot be used in a standalone application. None.

That being said, it is not the most efficient engine for that application. Static engines have different valve timing, rpm range, and torque loading.

But it will work.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Mynd44: 7:22am On Apr 20, 2018
What is the difference? The end point is one is used to drive a motor, the other to turn wheels. The principle is basically the same

Both are IC engines, possibly the two stroke/4 stroke difference noni and other add-ons

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Donpresh95(m): 7:25am On Apr 20, 2018
ABA BOYS WILL MAKE IT COME TRUE IF YOU REQUEST

4 Likes

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by phayvoursky(m): 7:27am On Apr 20, 2018
Yes. Once saw such at my secondary school mates house

1 Like

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by miteolu(m): 7:27am On Apr 20, 2018
This question weak someone

4 Likes

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by directonpc(m): 7:27am On Apr 20, 2018
Nothing is impossible

1 Like

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by pawesome(m): 7:28am On Apr 20, 2018
Yes....come to building materials market in Plateau state and see plenty

In the north hia is much especially those people into welding and fabrication...those welders normally use it cz d diesel generator is expensive hence looking fr a dead car engine to serve d purpose n it does dt 100%...but it dsnt last long when been used always hence they switch it on n off per time so as to last

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by tempex88(m): 7:28am On Apr 20, 2018
It can. just connect to an alternator.

1 Like

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by montumonami(m): 7:29am On Apr 20, 2018
EgunMogaji:
There's no reason that a car engine cannot be used in a standalone application. None.

That being said, it is not the most efficient engine for that application. Static engines have different valve timing, rpm range, and torque loading.

But it will work.
..nice comment.. . You are talking like an engineer... Are you one?

1 Like

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by DannyJ19(m): 7:30am On Apr 20, 2018
yes...but depends on the type of engine and it would require some re-engineering..

2 Likes

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Highesschief1: 7:30am On Apr 20, 2018
Yes, I have seen some at onitsha, many of the small scale industries use them over there and it durable and cheaper than the makano heavy duty generators

4 Likes

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Raylight2(m): 7:33am On Apr 20, 2018
so much in use here in Edo state. was asked to pay #120k for a 3-phase engine

3 Likes

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by omegainterior: 7:36am On Apr 20, 2018
100%...but diesel engine dou..its cheaper n durable

1 Like

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by hakimi1974(m): 7:37am On Apr 20, 2018
we are currently using a truck engine to power our house at the village in kaduna, the ingenuity of technicians from plateau state no be here.

5 Likes

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Nobody: 7:37am On Apr 20, 2018
Mynd44:
What is the difference? The end point is one is used to drive a motor, the other to turn wheels. The principle is basically the same

Both are IC engines, possibly the two stroke/4 stroke difference noni and other add-ons

Spoken like a true expert... grin

Everybody sha wan form 'knowledgeable' whether they make sense or not.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by kunle86(m): 7:38am On Apr 20, 2018
yes it can be use, most 400v generators are incorporated with a trailer engine, such as mikano generators, generator only require device to power rotor to generate electric power. so is possible.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by AiiVee(m): 7:38am On Apr 20, 2018
never thought about it before..but then OP thanks for opening my mind to it

1 Like

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Ekiseme(m): 7:39am On Apr 20, 2018
Yeah, it can be converted,
I know someone that does it at oregun Ikj.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Macgreat(m): 7:41am On Apr 20, 2018
Yes. I've seen it before
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Ekiseme(m): 7:44am On Apr 20, 2018
tempex88:
It can. just connect to an alternator.
lol at the "just connect",
It takes a lot of work from experts to pull that off.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Ekiseme(m): 7:48am On Apr 20, 2018
ShyCypher:

Spoken like a true expert... grin

Everybody sha wan form 'knowledgeable' whether they make sense or not.
ban dey hungry u embarassed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 7:56am On Apr 20, 2018
It's a waste of resources because the torque is just too high to drive an alternator for electricity also the advanced gearing system is a waste

1 Like

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by oyetunder(m): 7:58am On Apr 20, 2018
Chai...In a country where discos are dancing in the dark, such questions are needed. Go and buy tiger generator...! Stop disturbing us after your presido called us lazy bastards before the whole world.

1 Like

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by obyback: 8:05am On Apr 20, 2018
I actually have one
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Olasultan(m): 8:26am On Apr 20, 2018
Using car engines to drive powerful and big alternators to provide electricity for homes, factories and offices has long been mastered by Nigerian Technicians.
The usual engine used is Nissan LD20 Diesel Engine and it's Toyota variant.
I have used this type of generator for many years, one of the best technician in this field is Seidu Dairo on 08037358592.
This guy produces 10kva/12kva/15kva for a fraction of the cost and they were very good.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

His Car Was Burgled At Shoprite Ikeja Parking Lot! / Conversion Of Petrol Vehicles To CNG To Cost Between N300,000 To N600,000 – FG / Car Robbery And Killing Of The Victim.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.