Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,252 members, 7,818,873 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

Using Car Engine For Generator - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Using Car Engine For Generator (13286 Views)

What’s Your Experience Using Car Batteries Like / Things To Note When Using Car Air Conditioning / Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 10:28am On Apr 20, 2018
9icetoo:
huh?
??
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 10:28am On Apr 20, 2018
9icetoo:
huh?
??
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by victorazyvictor(m): 10:37am On Apr 20, 2018
tahoe:
Possible but the car engine will die in a short period because car engines were not designed to work 100% all the time

What is the diff between car engine and generator engine ?
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 20, 2018
montumonami:
..nice comment.. . You are talking like an engineer... Are you one?

No, I’m not an engineer. Many that call themselves one are really not.

I’m an Autoist.

1 Like

Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by InvertedHammer: 11:00am On Apr 20, 2018
Peacefullife:
I heard from a friend that the engine of a car can be used to make a powerful generator. He went ahead to say that some people are using it already.

Is there any one using it? How does it work? Is it worth it? Do you know who can do it?

Let's discuss this.

Connect an inverter and you are ready to power your appliances.

/
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Rajiolaade: 11:24am On Apr 20, 2018
Electrical Generating set, is simply the coupling together of two main units, (1) the prime mover =diesel or petrol engines (mechanical). (2)electrical part which is the alternator. the alternator comes with it's power ratings, voltage types i.e 3phase=380-415v or single phase=220-240v.,rotating speed (rpm),power inVA or KVA,power factor cos phi,etc.in the case of vehicles engine conversion,JUST MAKE SURE OF THE FOLLOWINGS .
-rotational speed rpm of the engine correlate with that of the alternator's.
-the power rating of the engine in W or KW is slightly MORE than that of the alternator's VA or KVA .
-equip the engine with an automatic fuel actuator or governor.
-equip the alternator with an automatic voltage regulator AVR
YOU WILL SEE ALL THE ENGINE & ALTERNATOR'S RATINGS ON THEIR NAME PLATES .
Lobatan! just couple with accurate allignmet and start to enjoy your new gen.set .if u encounter any problem contact 08032243504.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by EmmGee: 12:10pm On Apr 20, 2018
Peacefullife:
I heard from a friend that the engine of a car can be used to make a powerful generator. He went ahead to say that some people are using it already.

Is there any one using it? How does it work? Is it worth it? Do you know who can do it?

Let's discuss this.
it is possible. generally machines are two types: motor and generator. a motor can work as a gen and vice versa. so yes
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by steveDpro: 12:27pm On Apr 20, 2018
no knowledge of this abeg
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by rhames(m): 12:28pm On Apr 20, 2018
Mynd44:
What is the difference? The end point is one is used to drive a motor, the other to turn wheels. The principle is basically the same

Both are IC engines, possibly the two stroke/4 stroke difference noni and other add-ons

What you forgot is one rotates anti clockwise and the other clockwise. They need slight modification to make them a full working generator.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by slysteel: 12:46pm On Apr 20, 2018
I saw a car engine generator in enugu 10 years ago
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Readonee35L(m): 1:20pm On Apr 20, 2018
EgunMogaji:
There's no reason that a car engine cannot be used in a standalone application. None.

That being said, it is not the most efficient engine for that application. Static engines have different valve timing, rpm range, and torque loading.

But it will work.
Engines that generate more torque at low rpms are best.
smiley
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Nobody: 1:28pm On Apr 20, 2018
Readonee35L:

smiley

Very true my brother.

Butter knife is best for sandwich but if only na dagger dey, dat one go do too grin
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Rainmaker69(m): 8:04pm On Apr 20, 2018
Do you want to generate life? cheesy
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Peacefullife: 9:03pm On Apr 20, 2018
Thanks, gurus and every other person in the house. I have learnt so much. Nigeria is indeed blessed with creative minds.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Peacefullife: 9:06pm On Apr 20, 2018
Readonee35L:

smiley
Can you give an example of such engines? We need to learn from your type. Purely for household use. 4 a.cs and some freezers is all to be powered
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Peacefullife: 9:32pm On Apr 20, 2018
Raylight2:
so much in use here in Edo state. was asked to pay #120k for a 3-phase engine
please which one is one phase and 3 phase? Kindly expantiate.

Mind if I call you or send you an email? I pm you btw. I have interests in Edo/Delta location.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Peacefullife: 9:38pm On Apr 20, 2018
Rajiolaade:
Electrical Generating set, is simply the coupling together of two main units, (1) the prime mover =diesel or petrol engines (mechanical). (2)electrical part which is the alternator. the alternator comes with it's power ratings, voltage types i.e 3phase=380-415v or single phase=220-240v.,rotating speed (rpm),power inVA or KVA,power factor cos phi,etc.in the case of vehicles engine conversion,JUST MAKE SURE OF THE FOLLOWINGS .
-rotational speed rpm of the engine correlate with that of the alternator's.
-the power rating of the engine in W or KW is slightly MORE than that of the alternator's VA or KVA .
-equip the engine with an automatic fuel actuator or governor.
-equip the alternator with an automatic voltage regulator AVR
YOU WILL SEE ALL THE ENGINE & ALTERNATOR'S RATINGS ON THEIR NAME PLATES .
Lobatan! just couple with accurate allignmet and start to enjoy your new gen.set .if u encounter any problem contact 08032243504.
Thanks boss. We will surely contact you should we run into any trouble.

Thanks for offering your self to help.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Ijscarface: 9:47pm On Apr 20, 2018
You just need to work on the governor any engine can be used to generate electricity after all all it needs to produce is torque.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Peacefullife: 9:53pm On Apr 20, 2018
Ijscarface:
You just need to work on the governor any engine can be used to generate electricity after all all it needs to produce is torque.
which one is governor again? Na only state governor I know o! smiley
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Peacefullife: 3:18pm On Apr 21, 2018
Readonee35L:

smiley
Bros, I am still waiting for suggestions on those types of engines
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Readonee35L(m): 5:50pm On Apr 21, 2018
Peacefullife:
Bros, I am still waiting for suggestions on those types of engines
Quote me once again tomorrow.
I'd give you what you want smiley
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by wellheads(m): 6:12pm On Apr 21, 2018
Readonee35L:

Quote me once again tomorrow.
I'd give you what you want smiley
Nice thread
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by fleksy: 8:50pm On Apr 21, 2018
For all your car mechanical challenges....call me on 08025438389

I offer free consultation. I value helping people and providing solutions.that call would save you a lot cost-wise before repairs

I am based in Gbagada Lagos.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Blackadmiral(m): 2:57am On Apr 22, 2018
My neighbour in the house I first stayed in Kaduna has one fabricated using the old Volkswagen popularly called beetle engine. It's so powerful that it takes all his household appliances. Nigerian Technicians are truly gifted.
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Atlanticfire: 7:41am On Jan 27, 2019
Nice thread
Re: Using Car Engine For Generator by Atlanticfire: 5:00pm On Feb 27, 2019
Olasultan:
Using car engines to drive powerful and big alternators to provide electricity for homes, factories and offices has long been mastered by Nigerian Technicians.
The usual engine used is Nissan LD20 Diesel Engine and it's Toyota variant.
I have used this type of generator for many years, one of the best technician in this field is Seidu Dairo on 08037358592.
This guy produces 10kva/12kva/15kva for a fraction of the cost and they were very good.

Nice info

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? / Car Robbery And Killing Of The Victim. / Andvise Before He Wastes His Money On LR3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.