Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! (7463 Views)

Fayose Stops His Convoy To Interact With An Old Woman In Ekiti / Osinbajo Meets With Nigerians Living In Cote D'ivoire (Photos) / Osinbajo's Town Hall Chat With Nigerians In S. Africa Via Skype (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Gekko(m): 9:28pm On May 16, 2010
CERTIFIED RUBBISH!!

Jonathan needs to face his business and get this country moving forward.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Radiant(f): 9:42pm On May 16, 2010
Gekko:

CERTIFIED RUBBISH!!

Jonathan needs to face his business and get this country moving forward.

Being on facebook doesn't stop him from carrying out his duties. I bet y'all prefer those bastards in the military who will only dictate and you must obey! How dare you cough when they speak? And to crown it all nothing will still move in Nigeria.

Now, you have a President who wants to reach out to you and hear you but no you prefer to be left in the rat hole and die grumbling without no one giving a hoot about your pathetic life!

Like being on facebook automatically means Nigeria is doomed! Go hit your head if you can't stand the news.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Slim101(m): 10:34pm On May 16, 2010
Kobojunkie:

um . . . . That you have chosen to believe this wonderful is no reason to label others as being PESSIMISTIC in all. Stop believing that FIGHTING OTHERS for having a differing opinion means you are a BETTER Nigerian or BETTER person in this.

Seems the man has already been on Facebook before now http://www.facebook.com/people/Goodluck-Jonathan/100000166322650

Going on FACEBOOK has yet to change a single government in the world; all it has done is connect people at a level, which cannot equal that Freedom of information, and policies that promote such can.
Obama went on Facebook, but guess how many Americans DID NOT CARE and still do not care to go on facebook with him? Millions more than those who did! Matter of fact, the people still prefer government to reach them by continuing to provide them access to information on government when they want it. If all you want is to be able to boast to your friends that your president is supposedly on facebook, then fine. However, if you want real change, Facebook does not profess to bring that to any people.

Communication in a democracy goes WAY beyond face book interactions. That is why one of the tenets of a true democracy is freedom of information, not freedom to appear on facebook. If you do not have access to details to help you better understand what is really going on in your government, what do you think facebook will do for you, or your wanting to change your government? Facebook ought to come after the basics, not before the basics, in my opinion. Even if he decided to hold town hall meetings in communities across the country, I do not think it will be as productive as it would if the people had access to vital information to do their research before confronting him with their serious questions.

By the way, you seriously believe you contribute your quota by signing up on facebook to post your comment, with next to no access to detailed information on how Government really works and where it really is. I wait to hear on CNN or BBC how the Nigerian President choosing to go on Facebook for Nigerians helped raise Facebook earnings by billions : D !!! lol

Please, think before you type !! His going on Facebook is ok for those who like such things and have electricity, and internet access. However, for the million others who do not, how do they contribute their “quota”? By diligently remaining in the dark on how their money is spent by the government.

By the way, I am not on FaceBook, so should I now create an account when all I really want is my government to give me the right that ought to be mine, which is free access to data on my own government and how it spends my money? I really don't want to go on facebook. I would prefer the government sign FOI, which has been on the president's table for 7 years and counting.

Hey Miss(or mister kobojunkie) I read your post and appreciated your analysis except the part in bold (why do most folks here choose to be disrespectful while trying to make a point?)

You seem to be missing a particular point though, the National Assembly passes bills and the president signs it! Presidents dont make bills! The FOI bill (of which I'm a strong advocate) has not been passed by the National Assembly. This law was first submitted to the National Assembly when Nigeria returned to democratic rule in 1999, following a succession of military dictatorships.
But, the legislature's four-year term passed without the bill being voted on.

The bill was re-submitted after the current National Assembly was inaugurated, but the body has yet to push the law through till date! - this despite vigorous lobbying by the Freedom of Information Coalition. Over a hundred media groups, business interests and human rights organisations have joined forces to press for the introduction of the bill.

You might need to get updated on this! so if the present administration decides to reach out to the citizenry through whatever means (Facebook, Town Hall meetings or even Town criers) is that supposed to be a plus or do they deserve bashings for the gesture?

You or millions of other Americans might not be on Facebook or give a hitch about President Obama's reach through that medium, several million other Americans do and appreciate it.

Let's have intelectual debates here and not subscribe to disrespectful statements. Thanks.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Slim101(m): 10:37pm On May 16, 2010
Kobojunkie:

um . . . . That you have chosen to believe this wonderful is no reason to label others as being PESSIMISTIC in all. Stop believing that FIGHTING OTHERS for having a differing opinion means you are a BETTER Nigerian or BETTER person in this.

Seems the man has already been on Facebook before now http://www.facebook.com/people/Goodluck-Jonathan/100000166322650

Going on FACEBOOK has yet to change a single government in the world; all it has done is connect people at a level, which cannot equal that Freedom of information, and policies that promote such can.
Obama went on Facebook, but guess how many Americans DID NOT CARE and still do not care to go on facebook with him? Millions more than those who did! Matter of fact, the people still prefer government to reach them by continuing to provide them access to information on government when they want it. If all you want is to be able to boast to your friends that your president is supposedly on facebook, then fine. However, if you want real change, Facebook does not profess to bring that to any people.

Communication in a democracy goes WAY beyond face book interactions. That is why one of the tenets of a true democracy is freedom of information, not freedom to appear on facebook. If you do not have access to details to help you better understand what is really going on in your government, what do you think facebook will do for you, or your wanting to change your government? Facebook ought to come after the basics, not before the basics, in my opinion. Even if he decided to hold town hall meetings in communities across the country, I do not think it will be as productive as it would if the people had access to vital information to do their research before confronting him with their serious questions.

By the way, you seriously believe you contribute your quota by signing up on facebook to post your comment, with next to no access to detailed information on how Government really works and where it really is. I wait to hear on CNN or BBC how the Nigerian President choosing to go on Facebook for Nigerians helped raise Facebook earnings by billions : D !!! lol

Please, think before you type !!
His going on Facebook is ok for those who like such things and have electricity, and internet access. However, for the million others who do not, how do they contribute their “quota”? By diligently remaining in the dark on how their money is spent by the government.

By the way, I am not on FaceBook, so should I now create an account when all I really want is my government to give me the right that ought to be mine, which is free access to data on my own government and how it spends my money? I really don't want to go on facebook. I would prefer the government sign FOI, which has been on the president's table for 7 years and counting.

Sorry, I meant that part.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Kobojunkie: 11:52pm On May 16, 2010
Slim101:

But, the legislature's four-year term passed without the bill being voted on.
Actually, the bill was voted on, and moved over to the president’s desk ,Obasanjo’s desk, for signing back some 3 to 5 or so years ago but he refused to sign it. I remember reading somewhere that he decided the next president should be the one to sign it.
Yes, the house continues to play ball with it but the president can pressure them to pass it so he can sign it. It happens everywhere else and CAN happen in Nigeria. So, no excuses for this president. He is reportedly strong-arming governors and others officers, I see no reason why he cannot make deals with the senators on this.

Slim101:

You or millions of other Americans might not be on Facebook or give a hitch about President Obama's reach through that medium, several million other Americans do and appreciate it.
Let's have intelectual debates here and not subscribe to disrespectful statements. Thanks.

If you want intellectual debate, start off by understanding people have a right to seeing the same issues differently, Labelling those who do not sit in your world as pessimists is not only unintelligent but also shows inability to accept opposition on some level.

On Obama going for Facebook, note that FOI already exists and he is not there telling people what everyone else does not already know. He is there to educate them mostly on details of what they already know of, and how it would probably affect them as Americans.

I am not a face book fan and do not care to sign up(not that I have anything against Facebook), but if my president wants to connect with the me more, then maybe he ought to start by ensuring the basics of our democracy are made available FIRST. Then we can have better discussions rather than the usual ‘give us light’/’give us bread’ debates. If you are a member of Obama’s or any of the other Facebook available leader’s sites, you will probably discover most of the conversations are informed and intelligent. I was on google for Obama’s chat with the people on Healthcare, and I can tell you that most of the questions were informed ones and he spent majority of the time explaining to individuals how the policies would affect them and their particular case. I would love Nigerians to be able to argue issues at that level . . . with access to information to better discuss issues. Not create another branch of ‘Nairaland’ on Facebook, only this time with the president of Nigeria involved.

I do not know, I am not thrilled, and I am not up for another year of playing ball with our minds and time. If the government really wants to connect to the people, it could start by ensuring the frameworks of our democracy are solidly in place so we can better take over power from him and his gang in the next election.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by xterra2(m): 12:48am On May 17, 2010
Muthafucka dont go on facebook(good idea by the way) use your spare time thinking bout how to solve our many problems(among which u caused)Our problems are more important than you taking a place in facebook servers.Instead of facebooking think and act bout how to solve power,good elections,corruption war e.t.c
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by eros(m): 1:23pm On May 17, 2010
Na today, his being on facebook will not make any difference whatsoever. The account will be opened by someone who is probably not allowed to see him until a week's notice is given. Besides, he has other issues bothering than sitting down to read what Nigerians have to say on facebook.

We already know that alot of the posts on his facebook page will be insults, curses and more insults and curses. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Abuse: 1:29pm On May 17, 2010
He is highly welcome.We will welcome him.I should know that technology is the basis for development today.Obama tried it and it worked for him.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Witi(m): 1:31pm On May 17, 2010
I would have prefer him to sign up on NAIRALAND If truly he want to know the thoughts and aspiration of Nigerians on government and government policies.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by GoodMuyis(m): 1:40pm On May 17, 2010
COOL

So he want to join to do Facebook,he should give out his MTN numbers tool and start XtraCool also

That will be great

Use the day Time for Facebook

And Night for XtraCool

Weehla grin grin grin grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by otukpo(f): 1:41pm On May 17, 2010
That will be great. It will bring him closer to the masses.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by niyisky: 1:44pm On May 17, 2010
Why Facebook? Why not nairaland? however, I still support him,
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Gekko(m): 1:46pm On May 17, 2010
Radiant:

Being on facebook doesn't stop him from carrying out his duties. I bet y'all prefer those bastards in the military who will only dictate and you must obey! How dare you cough when they speak? And to crown it all nothing will still move in Nigeria.

Now, you have a President who wants to reach out to you and hear you but no you prefer to be left in the rat hole and die grumbling without no one giving a hoot about your pathetic life!

Like being on facebook automatically means Nigeria is doomed! Go hit your head if you can't stand the news.

You are obviously a tool!  Jonathan is being remote controlled by those "bastards in the military" and its been 3months in office and we have no idea which direction he is taking Nigeria.  So far he is spent most of his time politicking and scheming on how to consolidate power.  He has less than year left before elections, you think this is the time to initiate dialogue on facebook?    How about electoral reforms? implementation of the budget? UWais report? FOI bill?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Nobody: 1:51pm On May 17, 2010
Does dat mean all d guudluck jonathans on fcbk wit his pixs are fake? grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Ben13: 1:54pm On May 17, 2010
He will make a fan page. . .instead of having all Nigerians as friends. wink

Imanuelle:

Does dat mean all d guudluck jonathans on fcbk wit his pixs are fake? grin

Lol. . they're wannabes grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Fhemmmy: 1:54pm On May 17, 2010
Let us wait and see.
How do we know he will be the one talking to the people and not just some EA that is not even speaking the mind of Jonathan?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by otokx(m): 1:59pm On May 17, 2010
Since Goodluck left, NEPA left the university of port harcourt with him.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by calyx: 2:12pm On May 17, 2010
Does president Goodluck Jonathn know how to use a laptop??
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by etaurus(m): 2:24pm On May 17, 2010
calyx:

Does president Goodluck Jonathn know how to use a laptop??

LOL
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 17, 2010
OBAMA IS ON FACEBOOK AND THERE IS MP BIG DEAL ABOUT THAT.

BUT FOR NIGERIA THEM GO USE AM CHOP MONEY

WATCH OUT

LAPTOP AND INTERNET ALLOWANCE N5000000000000000000000000000

JUST LET SEE
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 17, 2010
Goodluck J. Will never be on facebook, don't make me laugh folks, He ve less than 10months to put this country in order and won't waste a min on one dirty facebook stuff, why not say he will be on NBF.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Kobojunkie: 3:06pm On May 17, 2010
Ayemokhia:

Expressing the belief that Nigerians “know what is good for us as a nation”, the President urged the citizens to imbibe the political will to do what is right.
[size=13pt]“I will work with my team and the National Assembly to see that relevant laws are enacted and those that need to be amended are amended”, he pledged, adding that for there to be credible elections in the country, “it is certain that certain laws must change”.[/size]

The President welcomed constructive criticism, saying that he believes that all of us have to change and be patriotic, stressing that “together Nigeria will be great. From cleaner to the presidency this country will change if we be guided by God.”

He does not need to make heaven of Nigeria. He simply needs to work the part in bold, and the time he has is more than enoiugh to accomplish quite a lot of that.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Woke4all(m): 3:22pm On May 17, 2010
ActiveMan:

OBAMA IS ON FACEBOOK AND THERE IS MP BIG DEAL ABOUT THAT.

BUT FOR NIGERIA THEM GO USE AM CHOP MONEY

WATCH OUT

LAPTOP AND INTERNET ALLOWANCE N5000000000000000000000000000

JUST LET SEE
No be lie you talk abi na today that guy join Facebook? Anyhow sha make he chop coz na he time be this.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by maxtop(m): 3:29pm On May 17, 2010
Obama sef don do am so we are all waiting, grin
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by SisiKill1: 3:36pm On May 17, 2010
[Quote]its not really gonna be him you ignorant retards.[/quote]

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by init4dmoni(m): 3:39pm On May 17, 2010
uhm, one word
TWITTER  
much more effective
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Slim101(m): 4:04pm On May 17, 2010
Ok!! Honourable members of Nairaland Parliament, I suggest we take a vote here.

All in support of President GJ's Facebook idea say "HI"
Against say "NEY"

Let the vote begins!!!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by cvibe: 4:14pm On May 17, 2010
Nice one.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by ZUBBYNWA(m): 4:30pm On May 17, 2010
it is O.k, who knows if we are going to have minister of facebook
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by londoner: 4:49pm On May 17, 2010
I think he may be trying to get the younger generation more involved in political debate. Its a good move, depending on how much interection there is, as well as dissemination of information. It would also be good if he can upload various Federal government projects around the country and their progress on facebook. Its easier for people to keep a check on whats going on (or not), if they can access it in one place that they frequent often anyway. Its a good move and a possible break aways from the norm. The use of the net/ social networks was crucial in Obama's presidential campaign.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Slim101(m): 4:57pm On May 17, 2010
londoner:

I think he may be trying to get the younger generation more involved in political debate. Its a good move, depending on how much interection there is, as well as dissemination of information. It would also be good if he can upload various Federal government projects around the country and their progress on facebook. Its easier for people to keep a check on whats going on (or not), if they can access it in one place that they frequent often anyway. Its a good move and a possible break aways from the norm. The use of the net/ social networks was crucial in Obama's presidential campaign.

Very good point.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan To Interact With Nigerians Via Facebook- Brilliant Idea! by Kobojunkie: 4:59pm On May 17, 2010
londoner:

Upload information on there that it currently refuses to upload to even the government's own websites? I can't even get access to current Bills in the house on the nassnig site. I hope I will not have to head on to facebook to get the latest on my government next.

Can we at least, when mentioning Obama's use of facebook, stress the fact that he DOES NOT use facebook primarily for dissemination of information. The Government ALREADY provides access to information on so many government sites out and around. You can get the latest by mail/fax/phone/walk-in directly from the government itself. Facebook/twitter are just the latest in extra steps the government is willing to take to reach people with information, and not the FIRST.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Igbo Deserve To Produce President In 2015, Says Atiku / List Of Boko Haram Sponsors / SHELL Declares Force Majeure On Bonny Light Loadings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.