Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter (38399 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by iguita: 9:53pm On Apr 23, 2018
All these feminist them self. IMHO, Hillary ma be more accomplished than Bill. She supported POTUS as FLOTUS, she had an accomplished career and she almost was POTUS. Despite all the huge titles, she saw Wife and mum as most important to her. That is good.
edmaraja:
And what is there to be ashamed of in being a good wife and a good mother?

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by mandate12: 9:55pm On Apr 23, 2018
Xisnin:

She is falling because she wants to emancipate you?
SMH

Pls put the word 'emancipate' to good use. Otherwise ur fall will come faster n harder.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by mandate12: 10:07pm On Apr 23, 2018
Xisnin:

How does the society benefits by a woman calling herself "wife"?

The greatest problem with ur own crude feminism is that u r half-baked. We all know the dangers semi literates pose in the society- never eager to learn more.
U need not bother about the 'wife' thing caus u will never b one.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by Nobody: 10:08pm On Apr 23, 2018
sinaj:
Smh!

She lost it this time.

She will preach feminism from her co-husband husband's home while her ignorant follower's home get broken nd some still single because of feminism

If she isnt a proud wife nd a mother, let her leave Mrs Clinton to her choice. After all the so called feminism is about following ur choice.
Family should always come first b4 anything.

Dnt coman put sand in anoda person's garri sad
lolzzz
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by authority2006(m): 10:43pm On Apr 23, 2018
jospepper:
If she s not a wife what is she? ITK. She s a wife and she s proud to be that, you can choose what you want to be nobody is forcing you. Some people are so confused.

I'm not her fan, just don't like her, Chimamanda.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by iRepNaija1: 10:57pm On Apr 23, 2018
edmaraja:

You're focusing on the wrong thing and you know it. The point is that generally women seem to emphasis their status as mothers and wives because they are conditioned from a young age to aspire to marriage. They are taught that marriage and family are the ultimate goal. Men, on the other hand, are taught that their ultimate goal is financial success because that is tied to their ego, how they're perceived, and how others respect them.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by GiantParrot(m): 10:57pm On Apr 23, 2018
Xisnin:

Inductive reasoning my friend.

Sounds more to me like you were setting up the props for a straw man argument. But go ahead and do your thing as you so please (you see, this is a simple courtesy of respect for personal choices that coercive collectivists like Chimamanda seem to be unable to afford other people who don't fit firmly within their sanctimonious "enlightened" ideology).
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by iRepNaija1: 11:00pm On Apr 23, 2018
foyeks2001:
What's wrong telling the whole world I'm a wife...abeg this Chima own don dey dey too much abeg

You're focusing on the wrong thing and you know it. The point is that generally women seem to emphasize their status as mothers and wives because they are conditioned from a young age to aspire to marriage. They are taught that marriage and family are the ultimate goal. Men, on the other hand, are taught that their ultimate goal is financial success because that is tied to their ego, how they're perceived, and how others respect them.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by billyG(m): 11:03pm On Apr 23, 2018
why do d world celebrates lousy fictional writers instead of scientist & technologist,why

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by sinaj(f): 11:11pm On Apr 23, 2018
SmellingAnus:
Gud PM Dear... I am happy that you are wise so you will not allow one femnist to come and destroy our marriage... kiss

Been a while... But my eyes are on you...
lol

D feminism stuff is actually a packaged bullshit.
Hope u good tho smiley

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by guiddoti: 11:31pm On Apr 23, 2018
Too much English prowess, "wetin consign Chi how Hillary should be called"
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by 4C2215131: 11:39pm On Apr 23, 2018
Xisnin:

She is falling because she wants to emancipate you?
SMH

Did she tell you she was in bondage?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by 4C2215131: 11:41pm On Apr 23, 2018
amicable09:

I'm sorry but I lost my dictionary this morning.
What does emancipate mean?

From my night school lessons, I think you are trying to say liberate or to free me from sth.

In whose prison am I?
Men's prison cheesy cheesy cheesy
SMH

Was wondering also?!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by guiddoti: 11:42pm On Apr 23, 2018
iRepNaija1:

You're focusing on the wrong thing and you know it. The point is that generally women seem to emphasis their status as mothers and wives because they are conditioned from a young age to aspire to marriage. They are taught that marriage and family are the ultimate goal. Men, on the other hand, are taught that their ultimate goal is financial success because that is tied to their ego, how they're perceived, and how others respect them.
Is anything wrong from Hillary's perception? She wants to be addressed as such, simple. A sequential order as a wive to her husband, mom to her daughter, and grand mom to her daughter's child.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by 4C2215131: 11:47pm On Apr 23, 2018
Xisnin:

I intentionally use emancipate to convey a stronger literal sense of being freed.
No, it is not men's prison, it is a self-built mental prison.

This is the attitude that informed Adichie's poser to Hillary Clinton.

Fancying yourself as some self appointed messiah come to correct, enlighten and redeem poor gullible souls like us from ourselves.

Good luck with that.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by 4C2215131: 11:52pm On Apr 23, 2018
amicable09:

Haba! You should have made this point from the get-go. It took two replies and three posts from you to arrive here. Too long for me. Now that we are here, let's address the issue.

What are the merits of a wife preferring a professional title please? I looked at Mrs. Clinton's (this should vex Chimamanda a little more but I'm sorry ma'am) profile and saw that she included her professional titles in her bio. What then is the problem?

Chimamanda is upset with herself because she put WIFE first, MOTHER second while Mr. Clinton didn't start his with HUSBAND and FATHER. To her annoyance, I ask why the comparison? Is that why we are in this world? To be comparing ourselves with our peers or partners?

I haven't attacked her though, I have expressed my concerns and feelings about how she's taking this advice/counsel/interrogation of a thing in the light of feminism.

Q.E.D
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by 4C2215131: 11:53pm On Apr 23, 2018
adegeye38:
she said she started it with wife, and that bill Clinton didnt even put any relationship status on his own

Very infantile thing to say coming from a noted novelist!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by 4C2215131: 11:54pm On Apr 23, 2018
sinaj:
I really feel for d hubby. This kinda women often end up with good men.

Imagine people adressing ur wife as miss instead of Mrs. Seems she married d man.

I dey tell you!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by Daboomb: 12:04am On Apr 24, 2018
edmaraja:

Dont mind all these confused and dis-orientated women.
If you dont want to be described as A WIFE, good for you, no wahala and please DONT MARRY!

But it is only a foolish woman, one with not just a few lose screws up there in her head, that does veverything to get married, even demand for a 3-in-1 wedding, gets a diamond wedding and engagement rings....... and then still thinks it is wrong to be called a wife.

As for Hillary Clinton, it is obvious she has become a "desperate Politician" with no certain conviction..... she would do or say anything, as long as it can get hers some votes (we still remember how she described black Americans as "vicious savages", not too long ago, only to turn around in 2017, asking the same people to vote for her. undecided undecided she got served. grin grin )

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by BabaRamota1980: 12:26am On Apr 24, 2018
Xisnin:

How does the society benefits by a woman calling herself "wife"?

A Society is a conglomerate of Communities, which itself is the congregate of family units.

There is a song track titled " A House is not a Home", sang by Luther Vandross.

A house is cold but a home is warm. Presence of woman makes the difference. When a woman is comfortably settled in a house her energies find outlets to fulfill her innate abilities. These outlets include domestic duties and reproduction. She will soon turn the house into a home and give it a ritual.

The rituals in turn become cultural. When you add the cultures of homesteads within a defined area you get a culture and customs. Men play the role of tying different disparate communities together to form society. This is nature of human survival.

A wife is the foundation and the backbone of thriving communities.

In communities highly populated by feminists individualism is their culture. You might live in a neighborhood for 10yrs and and dont know name of your neighboor five doors down from you. Divided interests, instead of common interests. Distance instead of closeness. Cold instead of warm relationships. Disagreements and breakup instead of support and survival.

Dont under-estimate the value and importance of a wife in the community.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by BabaRamota1980: 12:39am On Apr 24, 2018
iRepNaija1:

You're focusing on the wrong thing and you know it. The point is that generally women seem to emphasize their status as mothers and wives because they are conditioned from a young age to aspire to marriage. They are taught that marriage and family are the ultimate goal. Men, on the other hand, are taught that their ultimate goal is financial success because that is tied to their ego, how they're perceived, and how others respect them.

Doesn't that also apply to parents wanting their children to succeed as lawyers, accountants, bankers, engineers and doctors?

When we were little we played the mom and dad role, the husband and wife role and as well the lawyer and doctor role and the engineer role.

Why do we use our professional designations...Dr Ayo, Engnr Kalu, Barr. Bello? Why do we not ask people to stop using titles like Bank Manager, CEO, Director? Imagine how doing that will break down business relationships because now I get to the bank and dont know who the bank manager is. In my confusion i gave the honor belonging to the manager to the clerical staff.

When we loose cognition of who the wife is in our communities we deprive ourselves the honor and dignity befitting the backbone of the family homestead.

Lets be careful!

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 1:01am On Apr 24, 2018
iRepNaija1:

How does that conditioning make Hillary Clinton less of an achiever? you people have a way of blaming the wrong things in every issue.
The men that are taught to use financial success as an ultimate goal is actually to prepare them for marriage and nothing else. Men make themselves attractive in the marriage market by attaining financial success, so it still boils down to the marriage ish.
Without ability to attract a mate and maintain one, how many men will be working? Most inventions wouldn't have happened sef

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by Afam4eva(m): 1:05am On Apr 24, 2018
AyakaDunukofia:
It's unfortunate that ladies whom Chimamanda can't clean their shoes reminded her that relationships matters, and by implication, women in marriage should recognize that they are in such.

"Women should be able to celebrate both their accomplishments and relationships" Hilary Clinton.

"It wont matter if you're got a raise...And you don't value relationships" Barbara Bush.

I think Chimamanda has learnt her lessons. She better watch the caliber of women she throws that Mgbeke Abba feminist questions to next tme.

I felt it was stupid for Chimamanda to reprimand Clinton for using the moniker "wife" on her instagram account but after a brief thought, i realized where she was coming from. It's like women are born and prepared to be someone's wife and mother while men get to be more than that. Why should women profess being a spouse and men seldom do it? Yes, there are men who do it, but they're in the minority.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by bikefab(m): 1:12am On Apr 24, 2018
Chimamanda is delusional. In her own eyes she champions the cause of the female folk by attempting to re-order the natural sequence. She questions alot of things including why women must get married instead of living a life of fulfilled spinsterhood, why women should be subject to a man"s authority in a home or do domestic chores like cooking or cleaning even when she doesnt feel like it, why the man cant cook for himself or take care of his baby just like the woman does. She is trying to "un-africanise" herself and i dare say she is making great strides on that. I have listened to a couple of her speeches and i make bold to say she is making herself a clown in the name of a "feminist".
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by BabaRamota1980: 1:21am On Apr 24, 2018
Afam4eva:

I felt it was stupid for Chimamanda to reprimand Clinton for using the moniker "wife" on her instagram account but after a brief thought, i realized where she was coming from. It's like women are born and prepared to be someone's wife and mother while men get to be more than that. Why should women profess being a spouse and men seldom do it? Yes, there are men who do it, but they're in the minority.

The society is owned by men. The home and community is owned by women. This is decreed by God when he ordained the d1ck and the pussy for regenration and reproduction.

I suspect after feminists succeed in convincing wives to stop identifying their marital status the next battle will be on the wedding ring.

I imagine 10yrs from now Chimamanda asking married women why they wear wedding bands.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by Freeman59: 3:02am On Apr 24, 2018
edmaraja:

I tot so highly of chimamanda but now I see how shallow minded she is. What a shame!!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by Xisnin(m): 5:06am On Apr 24, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

A Society is a conglomerate of Communities, which itself is the congregate of family units.

There is a song track titled " A House is not a Home", sang by Luther Vandross.

A house is cold but a home is warm. Presence of woman makes the difference. When a woman is comfortably settled in a house her energies find outlets to fulfill her innate abilities. These outlets include domestic duties and reproduction. She will soon turn the house into a home and give it a ritual.

The rituals in turn become cultural. When you add the cultures of homesteads within a defined area you get a culture and customs. Men play the role of tying different disparate communities together to form society. This is nature of human survival.

A wife is the foundation and the backbone of thriving communities.

In communities highly populated by feminists individualism is their culture. You might live in a neighborhood for 10yrs and and dont know name of your neighboor five doors down from you. Divided interests, instead of common interests. Distance instead of closeness. Cold instead of warm relationships. Disagreements and breakup instead of support and survival.

Dont under-estimate the value and importance of a wife in the community.

You did not address my question.
How does the society benefits by a woman calling herself a "wife"?
All you stated were the roles of a wife which everyone already knows.

More specifically, how does the society benefits by a woman, using wife instead of
professional title on twitter?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by Xisnin(m): 7:13am On Apr 24, 2018
4C2215131:

This is the attitude that informed Adichie's poser to Hillary Clinton.
Not even close, I was reacting to a close minded post, while Chimamanda asked a question.

Fancying yourself as some self appointed messiah come to correct, enlighten and redeem poor gullible souls like us from ourselves.

Good luck with that.
You are right, in that it is nearly impossible to free yourself from a self-constructed prison.
But with constant discussion and fearless individuals such as Adichie, the future is bright.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by SmellingAnus(m): 7:15am On Apr 24, 2018
sinaj:
lol

D feminism stuff is actually a packaged bullshit.
Hope u good tho smiley
true dear... Sure I am... I believe you are okay... Don't let anyone steal your smile this week... Good morning babe...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by Xisnin(m): 7:16am On Apr 24, 2018
GiantParrot:

Sounds more to me like you were setting up the props for a straw man argument. But go ahead and do your thing as you so please (you see, this is a simple courtesy of respect for personal choices that coercive collectivists like Chimamanda seem to be unable to afford other people who don't fit firmly within their sanctimonious "enlightened" ideology).
Please point out the straw man and not gloss over it to make a point.

Chimamanda asked a question/made a suggestion, I don't see any reason why people
are foaming in the mouth.
Have you ever commented on another person's choice, then you are not different from
Chimamanda, you are just too close-minded on other issues.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by sinaj(f): 7:19am On Apr 24, 2018
SmellingAnus:
true dear... Sure I am... I believe you are okay... Don't let anyone steal your smile this week... Good morning babe...
I wnt let anyone steal it.

Wish you a lovely week
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter by Xisnin(m): 7:20am On Apr 24, 2018
mandate12:

The greatest problem with ur own crude feminism is that u r half-baked. We all know the dangers semi literates pose in the society- never eager to learn more.
U need not bother about the 'wife' thing caus u will never b one.

Typical empty-head, inventing words to make empty argument.
You are right in one aspect, semi-literates like you who can't intelligently defend their
position but resort to ad hominem are the greatest problems of the society.
They can neither think nor let others think in peace.

But if you think my assessment was wrong, explain how the use of "wife" in professional twitter bio benefits the society.
Don't bother replying if all you have to offer is another round of baseless platitudes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Diary Of A Pastor's Son (18+) / Murica: My River Wife / Random Campus True Life Stories .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.