Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,308 members, 7,836,337 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman (1216 Views)

Those Who Returned Stolen Funds Will Be Named In Due Course – Buhari / Tunde Fowler Set To Be Named FIRS chairman / Man Sleeping While INEC Chairman Was Adressing The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by nduchucks: 3:11am On May 19, 2010
If President Goodluck Jonathan names Akunyili as Chairman of INEC as reported below, then he'll leave himself open to obvious criticisms if he runs for the presidency in 2011.  For some reason, I don't believe Daily Trust's "impeccable" sources.

Information and Communications Minister Professor Dora Nkem Akunyili’s name will shortly be forwarded by President Goodluck Jonathan to the Senate for confirmation as Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Daily Trust learnt from impeccable sources in Abuja yesterday.
The INEC chairman’s position became vacant two weeks ago, when Professor Maurice Iwu was ordered by the Presidency to proceed on terminal leave preparatory to the expiration of his 5-year tenure next month.

Sources told Daily Trust that President Jonathan worked on a long list of names from all over the country, and was under much pressure from the international community and from local civil society groups to appoint a very credible person as INEC chairman in order to lay the grounds for fulfilling his promise to ensure free and fair elections in the country next year.

However, Daily Trust learnt, a powerful delegation from the South Eastern states met with the president last week and complained that the East has lost and is still losing some key positions in the Federal Government in recent years. They particularly referred to the post of Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria [CBN], and said when Professor Chukwuma Soludo’s tenure was not renewed, the late President Umaru Yar’adua replaced him with a Northerner. They said the same thing must not happen again with the INEC chairmanship.

Read the rest of the story here ===>  http://www.news.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19126:akunyili-to-be-named-inec-chairman&catid=46:lead-stories&Itemid=140
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by Kobojunkie: 4:36am On May 19, 2010
God forbid!! shocked
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by EzeUche(m): 4:37am On May 19, 2010
^^^^^^^^

Sharrap! angry
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by bigben3: 8:39am On May 19, 2010
not feasible!
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by Gbawe: 8:43am On May 19, 2010
EzeUche:

^^^^^^^^

Sharrap! angry

Kobojunkie is right. Akunyili would be a terrible choice. We all saw her enjoying herself immensely while she helped the PDP to rig in their man as Ekiti Governor in full view of the World. Please let us not taint rational thinking with ethnic sentiments. If Jonathan has chosen Akunyili it can only mean that he plans to rig the 2011 election. That would not surprise those of us who insist that , as an election rigger , Jonathan will probably not conduct credible elections.

If Jonathan is serious he must look at individuals like Agbakoba, Soyinka, Umar, Falana et al.
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by dustydee: 8:49am On May 19, 2010
Dora? I like her but I have my reservations.
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by bibiking1(m): 8:51am On May 19, 2010
It would be the biggest mistake to our fight for electoral reform if we name this woman is chairman of INEC. I have always asserted that i prefer a dishonest man to a hypocrite! Dora being the latter, she is more a crooked politician than any of thieving maniacs in the Senate! Her slippery approach and unsteadfast posits during the thick of the late President's regime was a clear indictment on her part! She would NOT be able to stand the heat that would emanate from that position and would make Iwu appear a saintly personage!
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by desgiezd(m): 9:02am On May 19, 2010
I dont think this can happen since she is a bonafide member of PDP and such positions should be occupied by a non-partisan person.

However, I doubt the integrity of Daily Trust, the Newspaper that reported this story. I recall their role during the period Yar Adua was incapacitated. In fact, I wont be surprised if the same Newspaper reports today that Yar Adua was seen in White House trying to lobby Obama to help get his position back from Jonathan.
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by Nobody: 9:25am On May 19, 2010
There is something to be said for a nation who deliberately ignores potentials and keeps recycling used and worn out people! undecided
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by skfa1: 9:27am On May 19, 2010
desgiezd:

I dont think this can happen since she is a bonafide member of PDP and such positions should be occupied by a non-partisan person.

However, I doubt the integrity of Daily Trust, the Newspaper that reported this story. I recall their role during the period Yar Adua was incapacitated. In fact, I wont be surprised if the same Newspaper reports today that Yar Adua was seen in White House trying to lobby Obama to help get his position back from Jonathan.

You are right.
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by mekusxxx: 10:08am On May 19, 2010
Junk news. Even Dora herself will not accept a position that will potentially ruin what is left of her image. Nigeria's electoral failures is actually not about INEC alone. It is more about the politicians who do any and everything to win.
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by sheriffman(m): 10:09am On May 19, 2010
I don't trust that newspaper,why is it the only one reporting the news and even though I don't know the owners of that paper I believe its pursuing a northern agenda possibly to whip up sentiments against Goodluck.
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by ud4u: 10:34am On May 19, 2010
Who is the best in Nigeria, even the trusted can dissappoint as far as Nigeria's politics is concern. So is only God that can see us through.
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by monkeyleg: 10:51am On May 19, 2010
I thought Olisa Agbakoba had been appointed to this position. I remember seeing it on BEN TV, maybe I was wrong
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by Nobody: 10:53am On May 19, 2010
bibiking1:

It would be the biggest mistake to our fight for electoral reform if we name this woman is chairman of INEC. I have always asserted that i prefer a dishonest man to a hypocrite! Dora being the latter, she is more a crooked politician than any of thieving maniacs in the Senate! Her slippery approach and unsteadfast posits during the thick of the late President's regime was a clear indictment on her part! She would NOT be able to stand the heat that would emanate from that position and would make Iwu appear a saintly personage!

Metchie önúgi my friend. Is it the same Dora we all know to be a dogged amazon that you're writing all this falsehood against? You Nigerians amaze me! She will make a great choice as INEC chairman; her integrity and positive passion are not not in doubt.
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by mbulela: 11:03am On May 19, 2010
Dora is a hypocrite and a noise maker.
This position is not for show off.It is a job that requires a lot of organisational and administrative skills.
She will be overwhelmed by the role.
A man like Olisa Agbakoba would be a better choice.
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by sheriffman(m): 11:10am On May 19, 2010
Yes Olisa Agbakogba is the best man for the job
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by naijaswag1: 11:20am On May 19, 2010
Anyone who thinks that GoodLuck will contest in 2011 is an alien to Nigerian politics.Appointing Dora or Agbakoba is a ploy for future credibility say 2015.
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by ladi02(m): 11:37am On May 19, 2010
Ribadu is coming back to take the job! just hold on, insider info
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by naijaswag1: 11:43am On May 19, 2010
ladi02:

Ribadu is coming back to take the job! just hold on, insider info
Ribadu president? Dream on!
Re: Akunyili To Be Named Inec Chairman by marvix(m): 11:51am On May 19, 2010
Akunyili is well known for her ability to seperate her personal interests from national assignments has she has shown in NAFDAC and as Minister of Information.

Giving her the job is not entirely a bad idea, even though there are other people who can also do the job, the issue would be that she would have to quit the PDP and after that she can handle her job properly.

Gbawe:

Kobojunkie is right. Akunyili would be a terrible choice. We all saw her enjoying herself immensely while she helped the PDP to rig in their man as Ekiti Governor in full view of the World. Please let us not taint rational thinking with ethnic sentiments. If Jonathan has chosen Akunyili it can only mean that he plans to rig the 2011 election. That would not surprise those of us who insist that , as an election rigger , Jonathan will probably not conduct credible elections.

If Jonathan is serious he must look at individuals like Agbakoba, Soyinka, Umar, Falana et al.  

Pls can u expantiate on Akunyilis role in the Ekiti election and compare with her role in Anambra elections, and what exactly do u want, for Jonathan to set up an INEC that will ensure he loses the 2011 elections?

(1) (Reply)

Would The World Be A Better Place If Women Rule Every Affair? / Tinubu Again ? / Seven Nigerian Quacks Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.