Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,992 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:10 PM

"Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man (28864 Views)

Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! / IPPIS: Why Some Lecturers Are Getting N6000 Salary – Accountant General / Why Are Most Nigerian Lecturers So Wicked And Heartless? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by emperorAY(m): 7:37am On May 02, 2018
its a defence strategy, a dull uninformed lecturer will never want to put his knowledge to test
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by onatisi(m): 7:37am On May 02, 2018
what happens in then classrooms is just a mirror reflection of our culture and tradition in Africa , we are brought up with the notion that you must not challenge your elders or disagree with them. a popular saying in those day was "obey before complain"
and the same thing too seems to be happening in the nigeria political setting , we hardly question our leaders , likewise too in people homes , once someone who is an elder or senior says something whether it is right or wrong , the junior will be told to obey and not to "disrespect " the senior .
this has impacted negatively on the psyche of the nation . but it seems the coming generations are not accepting that anymore and now they are challenging things they know arent right , no matter the person it is coming from

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by Pidginwhisper: 7:39am On May 02, 2018
I been dey understand op until he mentioned "pedagogy"..kuku kee me embarassed embarassed. God bless the founder of dictionary

1 Like

Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by Jaqenhghar: 7:44am On May 02, 2018
rusher14:
You call your lecturers by first name in the UK. In Nigeria you are doomed should you refer to a professor as Dr.

I insist Leadership in Nigeria is a microcosm of our general society.
exactly. Are Nigerians generally not like that? Always seeking to lord it over evryone. Even a messenger will willingly misplace your files because he feels you havent accorded him the respect he feels

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by amazon14: 7:50am On May 02, 2018
YorubaAssasin:
OK? Why is that news to him? undecided

Is that the ONLY difference(s) he noticed schooling in the UK?

He could as well have told us how they've got better infrastructures... How they're a developed nation... et al undecided angry

Are you a lecturer? The think pain you well well

1 Like

Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by Gourdoinc(m): 7:52am On May 02, 2018
lazy students blaming their incessant failures on hapless lecturers. if you think you passed a course, always call for a re-mark and be shamed to smithereens that they even added mark to your failure. dull Nigerian students famzing themselves with knowledge

1 Like

Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by cuteboimillz(m): 7:52am On May 02, 2018
how does dis help to chase buhari out to daura??��
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by Saintsammy59(m): 7:57am On May 02, 2018
Gourdoinc:
lazy students blaming their incessant failures on hapless lecturers. if you think you passed a course, always call for a re-mark and be shamed to smithereens that they even added mark to your failure. dull Nigerian students famzing themselves with knowledge
. And who is this nii?

2 Likes

Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by Gaddafiyusf(m): 8:02am On May 02, 2018
Rukkydelta:
He just said the truth
Most Nigeria lecturers are demons
I lecture. But I'm not a demon
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by Gourdoinc(m): 8:02am On May 02, 2018
Saintsammy59:
. And who is this nii?
an objective person who admits you bunch of kids are lazy as Bleep. read hard and you will make that high grade without having to stoop low or high to any lecturer. only lazy boys whine about victimization.
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by jantavanta(m): 8:03am On May 02, 2018
I am not defending our missionary education system but someone who has studied in Japan should give us a comparison. The UK experience is not always enough.
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by princfred(m): 8:03am On May 02, 2018
dayowunmi:
Bullying is central to African culture especially when it is done by an adult. If you dare complain you would be labelled as uncouth and rude. This is the root of abuse and corruption perpetrated by lecturers on our campuses
Later some will say the problem is imported culture.
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by princfred(m): 8:04am On May 02, 2018
dayowunmi:
Bullying is central to African culture especially when it is done by an adult. If you dare complain you would be labelled as uncouth and rude. This is the root of abuse and corruption perpetrated by lecturers on our campuses
You are right.
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by Mires: 8:05am On May 02, 2018
The Op would have as well tell us if living in UK and Nigeria is the same.

Someone who's learned should know there are yardsticks of comparison.

It is absolutely wrong to compare a man of 40 years with a boy of 10 years.

Back to the OP, I hope you also ascertain the take home of an academic in UK. Then compare to that of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by princfred(m): 8:08am On May 02, 2018
Mires:
The Op would have as well tell us if living in UK and Nigeria is the same.

Someone who's learned should know there are yardsticks of comparison.

It is absolutely wrong to compare a man of 40 years with a boy of 10 years.

Back to the OP, I hope you also ascertain the take home of an academic in UK. Then compare to that of Nigeria.
So ten year old should remain ten year old for ever and not acknowledge his faults so as to improve abi?

1 Like

Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by Kobicove(m): 8:10am On May 02, 2018
rusher14:
You call your lecturers by first name in the UK. In Nigeria you are doomed should you refer to a professor as Dr.

I insist Leadership in Nigeria is a microcosm of our general society.

African culture does not permit an individual to call a much older and more experienced person by their first name.

I'm very sure that your 4 year old cousin or nephew/niece does not call you by your first name undecided
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by rusher14: 8:16am On May 02, 2018
Kobicove:

African culture does not permit an individual to call a much older and more experienced person by their first name.

I'm very sure that your 4 year old cousin or nephew/niece does not call you by your first name undecided

We call each other by first name in my family and it doesn't diminish the respect we have for each other.

The summary Is, the university is a place for self expression with little or no room for inhibition.

As long as you are not hurting anyone or poisoning yourself you should be encouraged to conceptualize and practice any philosophy that comes to mind.

Resisting creativity and innovation starts with authoritarianism.

1 Like

Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by deadie(m): 8:18am On May 02, 2018
LOL. I remember when I first arrived Germany for my masters. I kept addressing the lecturer as "sir". One of my classmates asked me one day if I was in the military grin cheesy grin. I got confused as to why he asked grin. When I said no, he asked me why I kept referring to the lecturer as "sir", instead of simply saying "excuse me" or "excuse me Professor" if I wanted to be really polite smiley. Una see how Naija university dey transform person to soldier?

4 Likes

Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by James150: 8:21am On May 02, 2018
Nairaland247:
U were making perfect sense until u brought in "Pedagogy and Feudalism". Thank God for dictionary
are you sure you really checked your dictionary undecided undecided undecided
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by Alitair(m): 8:28am On May 02, 2018
Drinokrane:
Victor Asemota says schooling in UK opened him up to a different perspective on lecturers.

He is of the opinion that UK lecturers are more concerned with imparting knowledge and are eager to answer the questions of their students.

On the other hand, students who dare question Nigerian lecturers are doomed.

Culled from; https://www.torimill.com/2018/05/schooling-in-the-uk-made-me-realise-how-different-nigerian-lecturers-are-man.html

Lalasticlala Mynd44 Dominique

He even had money to school in the UK
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by jimcaddy(m): 8:31am On May 02, 2018
Absolutely true.. In Nigeria, they will put cultural, religious sentiment into teaching. They will make sure that u cannot pass.. You passed oo, they will tell u that u cannot pass. It happened back in my school whereby a certain student has been maintaining a strong 2.1.. Almost first class.. On his final semester, the lecturer gave him a B in a course he should have gotten A in.. Just 2 marks away from getting A and making it into first class. But the lecturer refused to give him saying that there is a quota for first class students in the school. Imagine.. Deliberately failing someone. Several others who finished with third class went to the UK to do a top up and he came out with a 2.1.. So what happened to him in Nigeria? a so called dullard and went to the UK to pass. Does it mean that the standard of education in UK is cheaper and of less quality than Nigeria? I just dont get. we are so wicked in this country... Yet someone will open his mouth and say that Nigerian graduates are not employable. After bastardizing the education system.. Nigeria is a systemic failure. We should be wiped off Africa..

1 Like

Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by Nobody: 8:32am On May 02, 2018
You are 100% right.
You are thought critical thinking through action learning.
Even some exams are open book. Bring as many/any textbook you wish.
But you'd be disappointed the answers arent in the textbooks rather you can only quote from the textbook.
You are given real life scenario to deal with, enumerate your arguments/points with support (quotes) from the textbook.
And some of the exams are process based. Meaning, if you dont answer no.1 you cant answer no.2. (Sequence)
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by viktagorion: 8:58am On May 02, 2018
Cardinal rule of the law of Power:

Never outshine the master.

1 Like

Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by Dickspray(m): 9:01am On May 02, 2018
9japrof:
We are just sick in this country, PGD and MSc that are advertised as 18 months can never be 18 months, I have heard situations were PhD programs are being run for 8 years and counting.

You hear the flimsy excuses by your supervisors that they did their program for five years and at that no individual would run less amount under their tutelage.

We are our own problems walahi
den u haven't tried university of ILORIN where I schooled
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by comradeiyke(m): 9:01am On May 02, 2018
Josnac:
Dr. Nwankwoejike from the Mech. Eng. Dept and Dr. Okorie from the Dept of chemistry in mouau back then were demigods.. those who know, know.

I swear down!
Esp. Dr. Miss. Ohale, in Colnas. Always doing gra gra once exams is around the corner.

1 Like

Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by olmoRoc: 9:05am On May 02, 2018
Like I posted some time ago, it's ONLY those who do NOT want to go overseas to study, or can't afford it that'll study in Nigeria.
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by redsun(m): 9:13am On May 02, 2018
A kindergarten class in the uk is more interactive, more suuted for cognitive development and learning friendly than a university lecture room in Nigeria.

Education in Nigeria is about misery, bullying and brainwashing, that is why it is not productive.
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by Charly68: 9:13am On May 02, 2018
Nigeria lecturers ought to be trained on how to mould future leaders ,they seem to be teaching for pride and money rather than for knowledge impartation..when you dare to challenge them they frustrate you completely..it is that bad.. Look at OAU saga ,it is just the norm is the system now
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by excellgraphics(m): 9:26am On May 02, 2018
Mc Gregor Theory of motivation 1960 shocked Management student are you there?
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by Tellemall: 9:32am On May 02, 2018
buzodyke:
Studying in UK is like a joke,, come to Germany you will learn

What have you learned in Germany compared to what you learned in the UK? We're interested.
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by madone: 9:32am On May 02, 2018
GrammarNazi1:

...lecturers...
yea thanks
Re: "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man by Tellemall: 9:34am On May 02, 2018
Kobicove:

I[b]'m very sure that your 4 year old cousin or nephew/niece does not call you by your first name[/b] undecided

What would be wrong if they did?

Africans and pointless traditions. What else would they call you if not your name?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Professor Of Philosophy Laid-in-state In His House / Anthony Chukwudi Mazeli, Soldier Tops His Class In University Of Lancaster, UK / OAU-Ife Students Thread: Great IFE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.