Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:39 AM

Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! (20261 Views)

IPPIS: Why Some Lecturers Are Getting N6000 Salary – Accountant General / 80% Of University Lecturers Are Quacks - Shehu Chindo Yamusa / "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by sinkhole: 6:09am On Dec 09, 2021
For those who will always talk that Nigerian lecturers/scientists do nothing but demand for money, below is the list just released by Stanford University.
These are Lecturers/Scientists, who with nothing, still make Nigeria great.

World Top 2% Scientist in 2021
(The Nigeria Extract)

Just released by Stanford University USA

_(Nigeria is not doing that bad)_

Gureje Oya
(U.I)

Olajire AA
(Lautech)

Olusanya Bolajoko
(Centre of Health Start Initiative)

Oguzie Emeka E
(FUTOweri)

Oboh Ganiyu
(FUTAkure)

Ezugwu Emmanuel O
(Air force institute of Technology)

Owolabi Mayowa
(College of Medicine, U.I)

Animashaun I.L
(FUTAkure)

Farombi Ebenezer
(College of Medicine, U.I)

Lawal Olayide S.
(Federal University, Oye Ekiti)

Alaneme Kenneth Kanayo
(FUTAkure)

Ukwaja, Kingsley N.
(Alex Ekwueme Fed Uni Teach Hosp )

Uneke Chigozie Jesse
(Eboyin State Uni )

Lawal, AbdulAzeez
(Fountain University)

Yusuf Abdullah
(Federal University Dutse)

Akinyele Daniel
(Bells University)

Sulaiman Tukur A.

Ademuyiwa Abiodun
(Lagos State University)

Rafindaadi Abdulkadir A.
(Usman Danfodiyo University)

Orisakwe Irish E.
(University of Porthacourt)

Bello Olugbenga Solomon
(Lautech)

Oladoja Nurudeen A.
(Adekunle Ajasin University)

Luiselli Luca
(River State Uni of Sci & Tech)

Ozili Peterson K.
(C.B.N)

Adefegha Stephen A.
(FUTAkure)

Oyedepo Sunday O.
(Convenant University)

Loto Rowland
(Convenant University)

Okeke Iruka N
(U.I)

Loto Cleophas
(Convenant University)

Eddy Nnabuk Okon
(UNNsuka)

Taiwo Adewale M.
(FUNAABeokuta)

Igbinosa Etinosa
(University of Benin)

Olasunkanmi Lukman O.
(O.A.U ile-ife)

Nathaniel Solomon P.
(UNILAG)

Ameh Emmanuel
(National Hospital Abuja)

Lateef Agbaje
(Lautech)

Onwejekwe Obinna
(UNNsuka)

Ayodele Temitope R.
(U.I)

Adebowale Kayode O.
(U.I)

Ademiluyi Adedayo O
(FUTAkure)

Iwegbue Chukwujindu .M
(Delta State University)

Chidume Charles
(Africa Uni of Sci & Tech)

Osinubi Kolawole
(ABU Zaria)

Atadashi I. M
(Adamawa State University)

Salisu Afees A.
(U.I)

Habib AbdulRazak G.
(Bayero Uni Kano)

Abarikwu S. O
(University of Porthacourt)

Jha Basant K.
(ABU Zaria)

Erejuwa Omotayo O
(Eboyin State University)

Olagunju Andrew T.
(Unilag)

Ibem Eziyi
(UNNsuka)

Faleye Babatunde James
(Fed Uni Lafia)

Strebelle Sebastien
(Chevron � Nig ltd)

Obi-Egbedi Nelson O
(U.I)

Sobamowo Gbeminiyi
(Unilag)

Adegbola Richard
(Nig Inst of Medical Research)

Okonofua Friday
(University of Benin)

Adaramoye Oluwatosin
(U.I)

Dahunsi Samuel O.
(Landmark University)

Misra Sanjay
(Convenant University)

Adesanya S.O
(Redeemer University)

Njoku Victor O.
(Imo state university)

Awoyera Paul
(Convenant University)

Aigbodion Victor
(UNNsuka)

Menkir Abebe
(Int inst of Tropical Agric - IITA)

Betiku Eriola
(O.A.U ile-ife)

Unuabonah Emmanuel
(Redeemer University)

Osabuohien Evans
(Convenant University)

Nwafor O.M.I
(FUTOweri)

Ogunjuyigbe A.S.O
(U.I)

Ajiboye T.O
(Nile University)

Ikot A.N
(Uni of Porthacourt)

Okoye C.M
(UNNsuka)

Folayan Morenike O
(O.A.U ile-ife)

Adewunmi Adebayo O
(O.A.U ile-ife)

Lawal Akeem O
(FUTAkure)

Okafor Peter
(Uni of Calabar)

Illesanmi Olayinka
(U.C.H - Ibadan)

Ajayi O.O
(Convenant University)

Bandyopadhyay Ranajit
(IITA )

Adedara Isaac
(College of Medicine - U.I)

Aliyu Aliyu

Egbueri Johnbosco
(C O Ojukwu University)

Ozoegwu Chigbogu
(UNNsuka)

Adeneye Adejuwo
(Lagos State University)

Oyewunmi K.J
(Unilorin)

Iwu Maurice
(Bio resources Dev Group)

Osanaiye O.A
(Nile University)

Fawole Olufumilayo
(U.I)

Adepoju Paul
(Science Journal)

Fayomi O.S.I
(Convenant University)

Mohammed Shafiu
(ABU Zaria)

Ogoina Dimie
(Nig Delta Uni Teach Hosp)

Dikio Ezekiel
(Niger Delta University)

Ezema Fabian
(UNNsuka)

Oyagbemi A. A
(U.I)

Elemike Elias
(Fed Uni of Petrol Reso Efurun)

Tomori oyewale
(Redeemer university)

Welcome Menizibeya
(Nile University)

Badu-Apraku Baffour
(IITA)

Yakubu Musa
(Unilorin)

Adedapo Adeolu
(U.I)

Ighodaro O.M
(Lead City university)

Anorlu R.I
(Unilag)

Ogunlesi Tinuade
(OOU - Ago iwoye)

Onate C.A
(Landmark University)

Imam Mustapha
(Usman Danfodiyo University)

Sofowora Abayomi
(O.A.U ile-ife)

Senbanjo idowu
(Lagos State University)

Adeyemi Oluyomi S.
(Landmark University)

Meremikwu Martin
(University of Calabar)

Owolabi Taoreed O.
(Adekunle Ajasin University)

Osuntokun B.O
(UCH - Ibadan)

Idumah Christopher igwe
(Nnamdi Azikiwe Uni)

Fadare J.O
(Ekiti State University)

Salawu S.O
(Landmark University)

The wide spread of scientists across the country is commendable

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by GorillaApp(m): 6:30am On Dec 09, 2021
Nothing widespread there! Just two tribes dominating that list
It has always been so. The prepared mind will always be favored. But the cabal prefer fielding failures

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by othermen: 6:45am On Dec 09, 2021
Congratulations to the ones mentioned. We are a remarkable people and would do even more if the necessary infrastructure and support exists.

The criteria for this recognition is publishing in top journals, but many of the top journals requires not just an evidence of competence or relevance in your work or study or research, they also want money… so you pay to get published in many of the remarkable journals.

In the most cited universities in the Stanford study, or generally top universities worldwide, the university has a fund set aside for helping researchers publish in the high end journals, all the researchers has to bother on really is the actual study—/ , this is not so in Nigeria federal universities, some of the Nigeria based scholars you see, listed, paid the money out of their very limited resources to sponsor the research in the absence of a grant, they paid out of their meagre resources to publish the paper in an high end journal.

And this speaks to the passion of our academia in the country. There could be a lot more, if universities provide the necessary resources or were provided the necessary resources. And so if a private university, say covenant university recognizes rightly that publication in high end journals, relevant researches is the way to becoming an Ivy League contender, they put the resources to it, attract the best minds from our public universities, giving them the right incentives and they are up there. This is already ongoing, and it has been at the cost of quality to our federal universities.

ASUU is hoping to address it, but while they can get the government to commit, they can’t force the hand of the government to act beyond such commitment.

Again, we have to put our academics in a decent pedal, and pay them not necessarily what is obtainable everywhere better than our universities, but create a system that aids the visibility of their research outputs.

So I know we could do much more, I think we are not doing close to our capability in our universities or research institutions, I think the reason is because survival is the foremost need of most of the employees in such institutions; you cannot afford a decent neighbourhood, you cannot afford a creche for your child based on your salary, you have a non existent laboratory and yet they do remarkable studies, with the facilities they have...but between survival and the cost of publishing in high end journals, Maslow says rightly that survival is foremost.

You can access the study here: https://elsevier.digitalcommonsdata.com/datasets/btchxktzyw/3

However, I did a break down…

So there is the list that is based on authors career and about 186, 178 names are listed

Using Excel, I probed the data a little further. 162 countries are listed.

While the USA has 75,899 individuals listed, the UK has 17, 237 listed, Australia has 6369, Canada has 8127, China has 6943, Germany has 9986, France has 5912 listed, India has 2042, Japan has 7362,

In Africa, South Africa has 669 names listed, Egypt has 327 names, Nigeria has only 73 names listed which represents less than 0.04% globally.

In Nigeria, 12 are from UI, 8 from UNN, 6 from Covenant, 5 from FUTA, IITA has 4, ABU has 3 names respectively…no other university in Nigeria has above 3 names. Harvard University alone has about 1717 researchers listed.

while there is another list based on authors output just for the year 2020 and about 190, 064 names are listed. Again, using excel, I probed the data a little further.

About 165 countries were listed.

Australia has 7140 names, China has 16,604 names, Canada has 7478 names, Germany has 9434 names, France has 5272 names, UK has 15,843 names, Italy has 6126 names, Japan has 5416 names, the USA has 66,233 names listed, South Africa has 752 names listed, while Nigeria has 121 names listed which is about 0.064% globally.

In Nigeria, 17 are from UI, 8 from Covenant university, also 8 from UNN, 6 from FUTA, 5 from OAU, 4 from Landmark University, 4 from Unilag…no other university in Nigeria has up to 4 names listed. Harvard University has about 1763 names listed.

N.B for the purpose of this, Harvard university included Harvard Business School, Harvard Medical School and other Harvard affiliates. While UI includes researchers from UCH and College of Medicine, Ibadan.

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Road2yesterday: 10:43am On Dec 09, 2021
1yr used Toyota Corolla sport for sale

Location Abeokuta

Check profile for more info and pix plus what’sapp contact.

Only interested buyers alone should contact pls
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Helpfromabove1(m): 10:43am On Dec 09, 2021
What is the effect of this on the citizenry
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by seunaj: 10:43am On Dec 09, 2021
H
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by slawormiir: 10:43am On Dec 09, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Isoright

Weed ....I comment twice without knowing

The list na rubbish

Them dey craze...only two from uniben

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by slawormiir: 10:44am On Dec 09, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Isoright

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by ATEAMS: 10:44am On Dec 09, 2021
Lazy baaawoooo

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by motymop: 10:44am On Dec 09, 2021
SCIENTISTS YET NO RESULTS

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by sylve11: 10:44am On Dec 09, 2021
Nothing new them add. cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Mko123(m): 10:44am On Dec 09, 2021
Mtcheww
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Fuckthamods: 10:44am On Dec 09, 2021
Wack mediocre scientists

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by updatechange(m): 10:44am On Dec 09, 2021
Yorubs are too tribalistic, see as dem dominate everywhere embarassed cheesy

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Nobody: 10:44am On Dec 09, 2021
GorillaApp:
Wetin una dey gain if you dey bring tribe into everything..hope say no be like this you dey real life oo?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Mopolchi: 10:45am On Dec 09, 2021
They are. Simple Covid-19 vaccine dem no fit make.
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Geestarry(f): 10:45am On Dec 09, 2021
Amazing
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by suffering: 10:45am On Dec 09, 2021
This news means nothing to me. Post a list of Nigerian athletes. There is no point seeing these names when all the contributions to science I see on TV are straight from the minds of Caucasians.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Kingofhoes: 10:46am On Dec 09, 2021
GorillaApp:

Look at this fùçķtard. Those two "tribes " aren't from Nigeria??. People like you are our problem

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by iLoveYouToo(m): 10:46am On Dec 09, 2021
Who said they were?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by jericco1(m): 10:46am On Dec 09, 2021
Interesting, yet no known notable inventions over the last two decades undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by okeyumez(m): 10:46am On Dec 09, 2021
There's no scientist in Nigeria. Let's stop fooling ourselves. We only have theory scientists with plenty grammar. Why hasn't any so called scientist in Nigeria discovered vaccine for malaria or covid 19 drugs? No scientist in Nigeria has built transformers, phones, X-ray machines, motor engines, photocopy machines or spaceship. We only study to have titles and depend on white man.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Kingpin1000: 10:47am On Dec 09, 2021
What are there achievements?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by money121(m): 10:47am On Dec 09, 2021
Ok

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by iamehmakute(m): 10:47am On Dec 09, 2021
Normal normal, we no bad. Even against all odds, we still making our names known.
Now if the odds no come dey nko?, I am sure you're thinking what I'm thinking too.
God bless them for painting us in a good light to the rest of the world.
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Kingpin1000: 10:47am On Dec 09, 2021
What are there achievements?

Only our footballers and Musicians are making us proud. With that woman in world bank. I would have mentioned Wole Soyinka but He packaged the Dullard for us in 2015 that shows He never had foresight.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by abobote: 10:47am On Dec 09, 2021
Nigeria system is enough to make them lazy
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by DropsMic(m): 10:47am On Dec 09, 2021
Yawn
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Preator: 10:47am On Dec 09, 2021
othermen:
Congratulations to the ones mentioned. We are a remarkable people and would do even more if the necessary infrastructure and support exists.

The criteria for this recognition is publishing in top journals, but many of the top journals requires not just an evidence of competence or relevance in your work or study or research, they also want money… so you pay to get published in many of the remarkable journals.

In the most cited universities in the Stanford study, or generally top universities worldwide, the university has a fund set aside for helping researchers publish in the high end journals, all the researchers has to bother on really is the actual study—/ , this is not so in Nigeria federal universities, some of the Nigeria based scholars you see, listed, paid the money out of their very limited resources to sponsor the research in the absence of a grant, they paid out of their meagre resources to publish the paper in an high end journal.

And this speaks to the passion of our academia in the country. There could be a lot more, if universities provide the necessary resources or were provided the necessary resources. And so if a private university, say covenant university recognizes rightly that publication in high end journals, relevant researches is the way to becoming an Ivy League contender, they put the resources to it, attract the best minds from our public universities, giving them the right incentives and they are up there. This is already ongoing, and it has been at the cost of quality to our federal universities.

ASUU is hoping to address it, but while they can get the government to commit, they can’t force the hand of the government to act beyond such commitment.

Again, we have to put our academics in a decent pedal, and pay them not necessarily what is obtainable everywhere better than our universities, but create a system that aids the visibility of their research outputs.

So I know we could do much more, I think we are not doing close to our capability in our universities or research institutions, I think the reason is because survival is the foremost need of most of the employees in such institutions; you cannot afford a decent neighbourhood, you cannot afford a creche for your child based on your salary, you have a non existent laboratory and yet they do remarkable studies, with the facilities they have...but between survival and the cost of publishing in high end journals, Maslow says rightly that survival is foremost.

You can access the study here: https://elsevier.digitalcommonsdata.com/datasets/btchxktzyw/3

However, I did a break down…

So there is the list that is based on authors career and about 186, 178 names are listed

Using Excel, I probed the data a little further. 162 countries are listed.

While the USA has 75,899 individuals listed, the UK has 17, 237 listed, Australia has 6369, Canada has 8127, China has 6943, Germany has 9986, France has 5912 listed, India has 2042, Japan has 7362,

In Africa, South Africa has 669 names listed, Egypt has 327 names, Nigeria has only 73 names listed which represents less than 0.04% globally.

In Nigeria, 12 are from UI, 8 from UNN, 6 from Covenant, 5 from FUTA, IITA has 4, ABU has 3 names respectively…no other university in Nigeria has above 3 names. Harvard University alone has about 1717 researchers listed.

while there is another list based on authors output just for the year 2020 and about 190, 064 names are listed. Again, using excel, I probed the data a little further.

About 165 countries were listed.

Australia has 7140 names, China has 16,604 names, Canada has 7478 names, Germany has 9434 names, France has 5272 names, UK has 15,843 names, Italy has 6126 names, Japan has 5416 names, the USA has 66,233 names listed, South Africa has 752 names listed, while Nigeria has 121 names listed which is about 0.064% globally.

In Nigeria, 17 are from UI, 8 from Covenant university, also 8 from UNN, 6 from FUTA, 5 from OAU, 4 from Landmark University, 4 from Unilag…no other university in Nigeria has up to 4 names listed. Harvard University has about 1763 names listed.

We try

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Winners Chapel Acquires Land For Universities In Ghana And Congo - Beecroft / Sodiq Wahab Oladejo Graduates With First Class In UK University / Unilorin Post Utme Registration Now Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.