Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,034 members, 7,828,622 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

FG Endorses Sanusi! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Endorses Sanusi! (7704 Views)

Under Pressure From Boko Haram, Kidnappers, FG Endorses Militias In States / FG Endorses Cancellation Of Promotion Exams For Civil Servants / FG Endorses N5000 Note Introduction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by PapaBrowne(m): 12:11am On May 21, 2010
jay bee:

TKB
I swear u don try. Remember most Nigerians ride/hump on hear-say bandwagon.
It's laughable that someone can actually bring up the automobile industry's woes during the credit crunch like Nigeria was supposed to be immune from it. Little did they know that Germany and UK had to bring in emergency policy/incentive (Customers had a trade in offer of about 2 grand for any old banger towards a brand new car) to help stabilize the industry.
Funny thing is funky is a very smart girl but she is just anti-sanusi  shocked shocked shocked

This is why I keep saying that the only folks supporting Sanusi are either 9-5 jobbers or Nigerians permanently based overseas. Your speech here has just given you away as someone that is so detached from the Nigerian economic system. I was once in your shoes and I know what confident ignorance feels likes. Until I returned to Nigeria, I always pontificated on issues relative to what existed in Europe and USA.

FYI,There is a huge difference btw the Global economic crisis and what happened in Nigeria after the advent of Sanusi. The NSE crashed in January 2008. The price of oil started crashing in Sept 2008. These two affected Nigeria but not anywhere as bad as August 2009 when Sanusi torpedoed the banking sector. All data available indicates that Nigeria suffered massively after the actions of Sanusi despite the fact that there has been very high oil production output with excellent price regimes!

I find it difficult going back and forth with folks that speak so confident about issues they are so ignorant about! I respect your point though. It would have been valid but not in this case.
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by PapaBrowne(m): 12:22am On May 21, 2010
texazzpete:

Of course people are reluctant to buy new cars. All the Nigerian Automobile sellers jacked up the prices of their cars astronomically, blaming it all on the new exchange rate. Instead of doing a pre- and post- Sanusi piece, why not find out how much the price of a new Honda City has moved before and after the Naira fell from 115 to 155 to a dollar (which happened under Soludo's watch). At least i know at one point the Hyundai Sonata jumped in price by nearly 400k.
It's more costly to buy a new car now, so fewer people are buying.

I have no sympathy for these car salesmen. When car manufacturers were slashing prices to sell more during the recession, they didn't pass on the savings to us. Now they are blaming Sanusi when many of their usual clients can't afford their exorbitant rates.

How can you have this as a valid point to butress your argument.  So you are trying to say that a maybe 10% increase in the price of cars resulted in a 55% decline in the purchase of cars? That is an absurd argument. It can never hold water in economics. 
Again, why is the decline coming now after Sanusi's actions? Why didn't it come in the quarter after which Soludo devalued the Naira??
These are some of the reasons I say it's hard discussing with folks that speak in confident ignorance. But then again, I respect you point, but sorry it doesn't carry weight!
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by PapaBrowne(m): 12:47am On May 21, 2010
tkb417:

Hehehehhe
Automobile is not luxury where?
In Nigeria?
How many Nigerians can afford to buy cars by paying upfront without running to the banks for car loans?
I'm sure it would be less than 10% of the population. So how do u expect car sales to jump up when banks have closed shop?

By the way, car sales dropped in virtually all the countries in the world cos of the probs in automobile industry
So why should Nigerias case be attached to SLS?

Pls, I may be wrong but what year did SLS become d MD of FBN and what year did the stockmarket sham start? Was SLS the MD of FBN in 07/08?
Pls clarify

Ten percent of the population is 15 million. If 15 Million can afford a product in a country as poor as Nigeria, then that product cannot in anyway be deemed to be a luxury product.
The worldwide drop in car sales as a result of the recalls did not have a single effect on Nigeria, as there were almost no recalls here. Asides, Toyota has already experienced a 24% rise in car sales in the USA in March alone. So I am not sure what on earth you mean.
Nigeria started experiencing aggravated drought in credit flow after Sanusi criminalized lending and that is what lead to the drop in sales of Automobiles.

Sanusi was ED Risk Management at the time which means that decisions taken by First Bank regarding stock market activities passed through his desk. He was very much a part of the system. He either participated in or overlooked the messiness which begs the question regarding his moral authority!
txb417, tot U worked at some investment firm! Ah, With these your points here, you are embarrassing the profession oh!
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by RoadStar: 12:52am On May 21, 2010
I think having a masters in economics or any finance degree for that matter makes you over qualified to be a CBN governor.
Lets face it we do not have an exactly sophisticated economy.
All we do is sell oil and distribute the money amongst a few.

Sanusi is right afterall because I was taught in elementary school that a bank is for depositing money and that alone.
So his only function will always be to protect depositor funds.

Well done Sanusi !
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by PapaBrowne(m): 1:08am On May 21, 2010
RoadStar:

I think having a masters in economics or any finance degree for that matter makes you over qualified to be a CBN governor.

Sanusi is right afterall because I was taught in elementary school that a bank is for depositing money and that alone.

Well done Sanusi !
grin grin grin
Exactly the sentiment of many on here!! For them, its all about protecting depositors funds!! Its a world of narrow thinkers out here!!
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by pikadily(m): 1:18am On May 21, 2010
wee ! hu hu!! now all y'all hypocrites go jump into the lake or some thing grin grin grin grin
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by violent(m): 1:44am On May 21, 2010
RoadStar:

Well done Sanusi !

Well your elementary school teachers taught you well, its only a pity you have chosen to resort in cynical approaches to elaborate your point.

What my elementary school teachers taught me is that a bank is for depositing money and borrowing money. . . like it or not, this is the most basic form of a bank's responsibility----credit intermediation.

Depositors are debt holders, and one of the very first responsibilities of the CBN governor is to ensure that their rights are protected, else, he'd be doing a lot of explanation to a 70 year old pensioner on why his hard earned savings disappeared due to lack of ethical practices from the very people who were entrusted with this funds.

Depositors funds drive the economy {if you dont think so, read up on history of bank runs and you'd see how economies got drawn into recessions just because depositors panicked}

so yes, the CBN governors first assignment {Regulation} is to ensure that these funds are well protected. . . setting fiscal policies and all other stuff is just a way of either stimulating an expansion or reducing inflationary effects. . . . but if banks suffer insolvency, there won't be much of an economy left to stimulate.
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by jara: 3:23am On May 21, 2010
I do not think anyone is talking stupid here, some people just get carried away to score points. It has been educative.

Let me start with auto. You can not go by products that are not made locally alone to gauge the economy of a country. Auto actually point out the deficiency we have in the system. We used to have more car assemblies in this Country but when wholesale buyers like Federal and state government prefer imports that compete with local assemblies, they die a natural death.

The same taste is followed by individuals that buy imports even if used than new locals. So a surge in car buyers does not necessarily reflect good economy but preference and easy money from a few that have access to banks. Those are the conspicuous spenders.

Many of us may not believe Sanusi numbers but is it not true that interest rate has gone down? Who are the people who paid those outrageous rates anyway but cronies and desperadoes.

Is it not true that dollar rate fell from almost 190 to 150? where do those people get so much naira from but easy money through black market. It is also true that the spread between black market and "white" market has narrowed.

Let us be clear, all the foreigners and lenders (if there was) coming to Nigeria were here to make easy profit and take advantage of high interest rate. Now that interest rate is down, only legitimate lenders will come in. Unless some of you do not think lower interest rate is good for the local.

We must not forget that our problem from structural adjustment still prevail in our economy. But more recently, OBJ tried to correct banks flight by night requiring them to have a capital base. In order to defeat that regulation, bankers started round tripping, started inflating their real estate and securities. Even more important, they started betting on their own asserts knowing full well that it is inflated. That is what is called derivatives in USA and U.K.

Someone made a main street argument that a bank is for keeping and lending money. Yes, basically. Our problem in Nigeria is that we are cash and carry people. We buy houses and cars right out. But what is the percentage of the population that can do that, some asked.

If we want to increase trade and expand market, we have to bring more people into the market by extending credit to poor and working class to buy houses and cars. But we prefer looting by a few.

Sanusi's gut reaction is right. But it must be fine tuned. We can not spend foreign cash and open it to everyone. At some point, our ability to make foreign money will fall far short.
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by darqly(m): 4:14am On May 21, 2010
@papa- I suspect you're doing ur analysis on a naija-style monopoly board cos if you were homebased like some of us,you'd see that ur model is just impractical. Will the average nigerian save up to buy a Tata as his first car? I think not. Will he take a LOAN to buy tokunbo? Yes sir! I still posit that car imports u mentioned are luxury far as Nigeria is concerned. Who can afford a brand new car in Nigeria- Blue chip,Govt,Professionals(few and far between). Hardly qualifies us for a Toyota plant,find out from PAN. Asides consolidation 1st round,Soludo offered little else.Companies were raising money from the capital market like it was for charity- Zenith alone came twice in about 36mths or so. And we all borrowed money and went to the stock market and the market took a tumble cos the prices were Overvalued and what goes up must come down at some point. My grouse is the whole world lost money- why not us? What did sls do that is out of the ordinary? Forget all this real sector funding- in Nigeria all the banks will finance is Oil and gas,govt projects,a few overdrafts here and there and cut-throat mortgage occasionally.
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by tkb417(m): 7:33am On May 21, 2010
How can you have this as a valid point to butress your argument. So you are trying to say that a maybe 10% increase in the price of cars resulted in a 55% decline in the purchase of cars? That is an absurd argument. It can never hold water in economics.
Again, why is the decline coming now after Sanusi's actions? Why didn't it come in the quarter after which Soludo devalued the Naira??
These are some of the reasons I say it's hard discussing with folks that speak in confident ignorance. But then again, I respect you point, but sorry it doesn't carry weight!
i have told you that the automobile industry wahala is not a Nigerian thing

all over the world, car sales dropped so pick another line

moreover, most people bought cars through car loans and if the loans are not forthcoming, how will they buy more?
papabrowne, its common sense not economics
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by tkb417(m): 7:38am On May 21, 2010
Ten percent of the population is 15 million. If 15 Million can afford a product in a country as poor as Nigeria, then that product cannot in anyway be deemed to be a luxury product.
The worldwide drop in car sales as a result of the recalls did not have a single effect on Nigeria, as there were almost no recalls here. Asides, Toyota has already experienced a 24% rise in car sales in the USA in March alone. So I am not sure what on earth you mean.
Nigeria started experiencing aggravated drought in credit flow after Sanusi criminalized lending and that is what lead to the drop in sales of Automobiles.

Sanusi was ED Risk Management at the time which means that decisions taken by First Bank regarding stock market activities passed through his desk. He was very much a part of the system. He either participated in or overlooked the messiness which begs the question regarding his moral authority!
txb417, tot U worked at some investment firm! Ah, With these your points here, you are embarrassing the profession oh!

hehehehehehe

first thing first
i said less than 10% and that doesnt translate to 15% except ur maths is bad
less than 10% could be 2% grin grin grin so all ur analysis paralysis = zilch

as per ur last line, i refuse to comment but i doubt if their is anbody better than tkb in the street of Lagos grin grin grin grin grin

first off, u said he was the MD, now as the head of Risk, he would sanction all manouvering in the market?

i doubt you know how prices are manipulated on the floor

papabrowne you dont know these things grin grin
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by tkb417(m): 7:47am On May 21, 2010
Sanusi's gut reaction is right. But it must be fine tuned. We can not spend foreign cash and open it to everyone. At some point, our ability to make foreign money will fall far short.

exactly
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by odedele: 8:05am On May 21, 2010
d source of d news is questionable.vanguard on his own caption says 'FEC drills sanusi'.Businessday paper has always being bais toward sanusi its neva bein objective.FG asking sanusi to come & xplains his unpopular reform to cabinet does not amount 2 endorsment.
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by funkybaby(f): 8:08am On May 21, 2010
odedele:

d source of d news is questionable.vanguard on his own caption says 'FEC drills sanusi'.[/b]Businessday paper has always being bais toward sanusi its neva bein objective.[b]FG asking sanusi to come & xplains his unpopular reform to cabinet does not amount 2 endorsment.

very interesting !
i do not see the man occupying that position till the end of his tenure.

its either he is removed or forced to resign.

4 more years of sanusi lipsrsealed cry lipsrsealed
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by funkybaby(f): 8:10am On May 21, 2010
jay bee:

TKB
I swear u don try. Remember most Nigerians ride/hump on hear-say bandwagon.
It's laughable that someone can actually bring up the automobile industry's woes during the credit crunch like Nigeria was supposed to be immune from it. Little did they know that Germany and UK had to bring in emergency policy/incentive (Customers had a trade in offer of about 2 grand for any old banger towards a brand new car) to help stabilize the industry.

Funny thing is funky is a very smart girl but she is just anti-sanusi   shocked shocked shocked

am only saying the fact based on the glaring realities on ground angry
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by funkybaby(f): 8:37am On May 21, 2010
texazzpete:

@tkb417
You're wasting your time. As long as funkybaby et al know someone who lost their job under Sanusi's tenure, their position is always going to be 99% personal/emotional and 1% logical. As Nigerians, we're used to finding someone to blame. A convenient scapegoat is needed.

No matter how many times Sanusi outlines his objectives, we'll always have hecklers out there insisting he has none.

the job losses is just one part of the argument.
honestly, you wont know where the shoe pinches until you have cause to deal with the banks.

without divulging too much personal info, i will give you REAL examples of the effects of sanusi's policies.

Mr. A has 30 million naira fixed deposit in FCMB. Money has been generating tidy interest for him. Suddenly within a period of 10months, rates fall from 14% to 3% (thanks to sanusi).

He is unhappy and decides he will rather invest the money in a business venture (automated car diagnostic shop offering various services targeted at upper and middle class of the society). He has a business plan, done viability and feasibility studies and present his business model to FCMB to loan him about 50million or slightly lower. FCMB says no citing all sorts of funny reasons, blaming it on the current uncertain state of the economy, etc. In summary, he cannot get the loan 'for now'.

Mrs. B owns a property firm and has good business relationship with Stanbic IBTC. When the banks have customers looking for homes to buy based on a mortgage agreement from the bank, the customer is referred to Mrs. B.
Mrs. B also refers customers that want to own property on mortgage to Stanbic or GT homes. Mrs. B has been happy. Business has been flourishing. Raking good money on agent and professional fees on successful property deals.
However, in the last 7 months (sanusi's era), banks are no longer offerring mortgage facilities. They waste the customer's time citing funny excuses and then advice the customer to wait cos they are expecting property prices in lagos to crash

These are just two simple examples out of several. You will not know the impact of this man's policies until you have cause to deal with the banks (not just walking in to deposit and withdraw money) and compare their services during Soludo's era with what is being obtained now

Now, how do you expect Mr. A and Mrs. B not to blame Sanusi?
The banks themselves are not happy with the man.
Which company or organization have come out to publicly endorse Sanusi and support his reforms?
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by tkb417(m): 8:47am On May 21, 2010
if you like blame Sanusi

im sure some people will blame the govt for the fall of Lehman Brothers

so whats ur point?

hehehehehe
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by funkybaby(f): 8:52am On May 21, 2010
tkb417:

if you like blame Sanusi

im sure some people will blame the govt for the fall of Lehman Brothers

so whats your point?

hehehehehe

*********  sighs *******
i find it amusing when people compare naija banks with foreign banks

now, what is the basis of comparism between Lehman Brothers and say Savannah Bank

For crying out loud, US and Naija are two different economics with different policies influenced by totally different factors.

tkb, what you need is a kiss from me  kiss kiss kiss kiss  this morning to bring you back to reality cos this your idolization of Sanusi don pass normal
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by tkb417(m): 9:09am On May 21, 2010
funkybaby:

********* sighs *******
i find it amusing when people compare naija banks with foreign banks

now, what is the basis of comparism between Lehman Brothers and say Savannah Bank
For crying out loud, US and Naija are two different economics with different policies influenced by totally different factors.

tkb, what you need is a kiss from me kiss kiss kiss kiss this morning to bring you back to reality cos this your idolization of Sanusi don pass normal
Lemme break it down cos its difficult

As the Investment bankers in the US can be accused of the sub prime issues in the US, we can also point accusing fingers to our CEOs in Nigeria for the shady parctices that resulted in this fiasco

the 2 govts put measures and policies together to bail the economies out innit?

the resultant effects for the 2 economies is credit contraction abi no be so?

is the govt in america being blamed for the tightening of credit in the US?

can you see the logic in my comparisons?

its difficult ehn?

hehehehehe
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by funkybaby(f): 9:12am On May 21, 2010
tkb417:

Lemme break it down cos its difficult

As the Investment bankers in the US can be accused of the sub prime issues in the US, we can also point accusing fingers to our CEOs in Nigeria for the shady parctices that resulted in this fiasco

the 2 govts put measures and policies together to bail the economies out innit?

the resultant effects for the 2 economies is credit contraction abi no be so?

is the govt in america being blamed for the tightening of credit in the US?

can you see the logic in my comparisons?

its difficult ehn?

hehehehehe

and who is in charge of that part of ''government'' that comes up with the policies that affects the US economy?

and who is in charge of that part of ''government'' that comes up with the policies that affects the Naija economy?

Is Sanusi not the man appointed by the government?

So far, the post-credit crunch policies in US has been effective

Can we say same for naija?

If the man appointed by the ''government'' to fix things is not getting it right, it is only normal he is called to order, asked to resign or he is sacked

Agreed. The former bank CEOs had a part to play in this but is Sanusi making things any better, NO !
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by tkb417(m): 9:15am On May 21, 2010
hehehehehehe

i cannot see anythin o

madam trader cheesy grin
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by babsmii(m): 9:16am On May 21, 2010
good one, ride on sanusi but please don't shoot urself in d ass by introducing sharia banking pleasEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by funkybaby(f): 9:22am On May 21, 2010
tkb417:

hehehehehehe

i cannot see anythin o

madam trader cheesy grin

grin grin grin grin
i no get your time today. i will deal with you later.

send my loff to sauron wink
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by texazzpete(m): 10:49am On May 21, 2010
PapaBrowne:

How can you have this as a valid point to butress your argument. So you are trying to say that a maybe 10% increase in the price of cars resulted in a 55% decline in the purchase of cars? That is an absurd argument. It can never hold water in economics.

I don't know where you got it into your skull that there must be a linear correlation between the percentage price increase and the percentage decline in new car buyers. And FYI, much more than a 10% increase in vehicle prices came into play.
Provide the figures for Q2 2009 to back up your assertion that this decline came after Sanusi's intervention.

we all have real world examples of people who refrained from buying new cars here in Nigeria due to the price increase. My colleague had been ready to purchase a 2008 Sonata for 2.8 million until they jacked the price up to 3.6 million Naira.
please note that 2.8 million to 3.6 million increase is a lot more than 10%
He ended up buying a used Pathfinder jeep (mileage 20000) for 3.5 million. And i can bet many more Nigerians couldn't justify buying a Sonata for 3.6M.
I also remember seeing the Honda place advert where they jacked up the prices for their new vehicles significantly.

Now, i'm no economist but i know common sense. And i know something about consumer awareness. There's a tipping point, a threshold beyond which many people will not be able to justify making a purchase decision, when the opportunity cost is just too high. Even a 5% increase in price can do that, easy.
A 16% price drop of Sony's PS3 in early 2007 from $599 to $499 saw PS3 sales surge up to a 2800% increase on Amazon in one day. See what i mean about buyers threshold?

Either way, you knew that every single Automobile outlet in Nigeria jacked up their prices by at least 15 - 25%. You chose not to mention this important piece of information in favour of lampooning Sanusi. That's either shoddy economics, mischief , dishonesty or a combination of any of these factors.
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by bike1: 11:33am On May 21, 2010
Funky babe, i doubt if u work in bank. I bet u if this reforms didnt take place, in a couple of months Nigeria will be in the same state that Greece is in now-State of bankcrupcy.
Yes maybe Sanusi should have managed the crisis secretly but these men didnt let him do so , so he had to tell d whole world the reason for wat he was doin.

Plet let him do his work
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by edoyad(m): 11:39am On May 21, 2010
have you worked in your life cos
u come across as another
ignorant child
if i hold a BSC Civil Engineering,
are you saying i cannot be the
MD of a bank?
what exactly do you look for
before appointing people?
certificates or the years of
experience on the job?
SLS has always been a top level
banker who knows banking in
and out, if that doesnt means
nothing to you, then maybe you
should tell your economics
lecturer to apply for the post

@tkb .The annoying thing about ignorance is that when you see it , you know what it is, but one can only just watch it march on it's course. Do you know what economics is ? So i've been a top level manager at a bank for oink years means what ?
May be the problem has to do the misnomer "central bank", other countries know it's not only about banking so their "central banks" aren't termed as such.
That position is more of an academic appointment if anything and that's where we've missed the mark here. Aliko has built a business empire so i guess he's suited for the job too. I don't even see any reason going further.
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by justdtruth: 11:58am On May 21, 2010
i would say that i am not surprised at the way this discussion has gone so far. when an economic issue is put in the politics section, what do we expect? emotions, sentiments, prejudice etc.

if we want to discuss the economy and not just talk about "garri and epa" then we should rather get our facts straight.

please read the attached file to understand where are coming from and where we are going in the banking sector.

just to quickly point out some things

1. the reforms that sanusi is executing are not sanusi's reform. they are soludo's reform. prof soludo had about 13 point agenda when he was the cbn governor and consolidation for instance was no 4. effective risk management, good corporate governance were all part of the agenda. they were not just implemented during the time of soludo. and to add, all the banks executives know this. in fact, do you know that before any decision is taken and the announcement made by the cbn, the issues would have been discussed at the bankers committee meeting and of course they would have agreed to all these things. that is why you will not find people from the banks or the financial sector passing comments on a number of these issues. what happens. those of us who know nothing really would be commentators.

2. there is a difference between the economy and the financial system, the cbn as a regulator and the finance ministry. the cbn is a regulator of the financial system and not the economy. to evaluate an economy, the macroeconomic objectives to look at are
a. economic growth
b. redistribution of income
c. full employment
d. price stability
e. favourable balance of payment

of all these, the only part where the cbn plays a role is price stability. cbn responsibility is to ensure price stability. so really, if the cbn would take any blame whatsoever on the economy, it should be on price stability and going by the statistics, the cbn has done well in this regard. inflation rate is now 11.8 down from 12.3. other issues should be directed at the relevant government structures. for example, for the economy to work, we need the real sector which depends on power. is it cbn that will provide the power and other infrastructures? is it cbn that will control how much importation that we do compared to exportation? common guys, lets talk to the right guys on our economy and that is the finance minister and the government as a whole.

3. people also talk about lack of confidence in the economy, the truth is that before the reforms we had no confidence in ourselves, the international financial institution had no confidence in us, even the banks were doing backstabbing on themselves to market saying this or that bank in distressed. but now what do we have? we all know that our money is safe. we know the nature of the problems of the banks. some of the banks are even back to profitability. the capital market has grown by about 30%. the international credit line is back for the banks. and i still wonder, they say sanusi has destroyed the confidence. nay! sanusi has restored the confidence.

4. please dont be fooled by what you read in some of our dailies. it would be better if the names of those papers are changed to reflect what they really are now. they are no more better that city people, encomium, spectacle etc you know, they have all become soft sell. you would read about the banks not lending to people anymore because of sanusi's reform. if they want to make sense, let them publish the figures of bank lending and to who the loans go to before the reforms and figures and to who now. i bet you, if you see the figures, you will throw eggs at any of these bankers when you see one. the truth is, they have not been lending to the real sector. not to any body that wants to do real economic business. what they have been doing is gambling with their shareholders fund. i work in a stock broking firm so i can tell you it was soooooo bad. the banks were doing handbill to advertise that people should come and borrow to buy shares. they used these funds to buy their own public offers. one stock broker alone has a debt of about 90 billion naira. imagine the number of industries that could have financed.
somebody talked about importation of cars coming down. why will it not come down, when it was the banks that were financing the purchase of these cars. if you earn about 90,000 a month you can buy a car of about 2 million. all you have to do is pay 25,000 naira every month. i am sure a lot you guys outside nigeria dont know what has been going on. they were financing buying of generators, television etc adverts were aired on tv and radio. i am sure that you would not be surprised if i tell you that they equally financed political campaigns.
the other areas they were pumping money is aviation and importation of petrol so when the meltdown happened in 2008 and oil price came down, they lost a huge chunk of there fund. a lot of bad things happened then.

5. its really a painful one for those who lost their job. but lets put the cards on the table. do you know why the banks employed so much people in the first place? we most be frank on this one. the banks were engaging in a competition for the number of branches they have. imagine a situation where on ogudu road for instance, you will find all banks represented. now you wonder, is there so much fund in a residential area that all these banks have to be here to get a share. and check out the size of these buildings. you will wonder if these new branches can survive on their own. the crux of the matter is unhealthy competition. so when the bubble burst, each branch was mandated to work on sustaining itself. that is the ‘koko’ of the job loss in the banking sector. mind you it was not sanusi that said sack your staff. it was the decision of the banks and let me inform us that these sacks had been going on since 2008. only the large scale execution took place sometimes ago. you know what the banks do now, they employ ond holders and pay them 30- 40k even lower to get there clerical jobs done. well, they will say they are being prudent, it is unfortunate though.

its important that we all support what is good and give good advice on better ways to do it. what we should not do is castigate someone who wants to do a good job because of our sentiments particularly when we do not have the facts.

the situation in nigeria require that we always seek the facts and figures before we let some foolish thieves and criminals bamboozle us

Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by jaybee3(m): 12:09pm On May 21, 2010
^^^
THANK YOU
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by rclbrz2211: 12:16pm On May 21, 2010
What more can I say? Great minds think alike they say. I'm glad other people can see in my view like the following pro-Sanusi Nairalanders:
tkb417, darqly, opokonwa, texazzpete, marvix, justdtruth

You guys posts are meaningful, logical and reasonable. Let us ignore the sick minds that see no good in Sanusi just because they or someone they know lost his/her job. Kudos to Joey and his govt.
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by funkybaby(f): 12:18pm On May 21, 2010
justdtruth:

i would say that i am not surprised at the way this discussion has gone so far. when an economic issue is put in the politics section, what do we expect? emotions, sentiments, prejudice etc.

if we want to discuss the economy and not just talk about "garri and epa" then we should rather get our facts straight.

please read the attached file to understand where are coming from and where we are going in the banking sector.

just to quickly point out some things

1. the reforms that sanusi is executing are not sanusi's reform. they are soludo's reform. prof soludo had about 13 point agenda when he was the cbn governor and consolidation for instance was no 4. effective risk management, good corporate governance were all part of the agenda. they were not just implemented during the time of soludo. and to add, all the banks executives know this. in fact, do you know that before any decision is taken and the announcement made by the cbn, the issues would have been discussed at the bankers committee meeting and of course they would have agreed to all these things. that is why you will not find people from the banks or the financial sector passing comments on a number of these issues. what happens. those of us who know nothing really would be commentators.

2. there is a difference between the economy and the financial system, the cbn as a regulator and the finance ministry. the cbn is a regulator of the financial system and not the economy. to evaluate an economy, the macroeconomic objectives to look at are
a. economic growth
b. redistribution of income
c. full employment
d. price stability
e. favourable balance of payment

of all these, the only part where the cbn plays a role is price stability. cbn responsibility is to ensure price stability. so really, if the cbn would take any blame whatsoever on the economy, it should be on price stability and going by the statistics, the cbn has done well in this regard. inflation rate is now 11.8 down from 12.3. other issues should be directed at the relevant government structures. for example, for the economy to work, we need the real sector which depends on power. is it cbn that will provide the power and other infrastructures? is it cbn that will control how much importation that we do compared to exportation? common guys, lets talk to the right guys on our economy and that is the finance minister and the government as a whole.

3. people also talk about lack of confidence in the economy, the truth is that before the reforms we had no confidence in ourselves, the international financial institution had no confidence in us, even the banks were doing backstabbing on themselves to market saying this or that bank in distressed. but now what do we have? we all know that our money is safe. we know the nature of the problems of the banks. some of the banks are even back to profitability. the capital market has grown by about 30%. the international credit line is back for the banks. and i still wonder, they say sanusi has destroyed the confidence. nay! sanusi has restored the confidence.

4. please dont be fooled by what you read in some of our dailies. it would be better if the names of those papers are changed to reflect what they really are now. they are no more better that city people, encomium, spectacle etc you know, they have all become soft sell. you would read about the banks not lending to people anymore because of sanusi's reform. if they want to make sense, let them publish the figures of bank lending and to who the loans go to before the reforms and figures and to who now. i bet you, if you see the figures, you will throw eggs at any of these bankers when you see one. the truth is, they have not been lending to the real sector. not to any body that wants to do real economic business. what they have been doing is gambling with their shareholders fund. i work in a stock broking firm so i can tell you it was soooooo bad. the banks were doing handbill to advertise that people should come and borrow to buy shares. they used these funds to buy their own public offers. one stock broker alone has a debt of about 90 billion naira. imagine the number of industries that could have financed.
somebody talked about importation of cars coming down. why will it not come down, when it was the banks that were financing the purchase of these cars. if you earn about 90,000 a month you can buy a car of about 2 million. all you have to do is pay 25,000 naira every month. i am sure a lot you guys outside nigeria dont know what has been going on. they were financing buying of generators, television etc adverts were aired on tv and radio. i am sure that you would not be surprised if i tell you that they equally financed political campaigns.
the other areas they were pumping money is aviation and importation of petrol so when the meltdown happened in 2008 and oil price came down, they lost a huge chunk of there fund. a lot of bad things happened then.  

5. its really a painful one for those who lost their job. but lets put the cards on the table. do you know why the banks employed so much people in the first place? we most be frank on this one. the banks were engaging in a competition for the number of branches they have. imagine a situation where on ogudu road for instance, you will find all banks represented. now you wonder, is there so much fund in a residential area that all these banks have to be here to get a share. and check out the size of these buildings. you will wonder if these new branches can survive on their own. the crux of the matter is unhealthy competition. so when the bubble burst, each branch was mandated to work on sustaining itself. that is the ‘koko’ of the job loss in the banking sector. mind you it was not sanusi that said sack your staff. it was the decision of the banks and let me inform us that these sacks had been going on since 2008. only the large scale execution took place sometimes ago. you know what the banks do now, they employ ond holders and pay them 30- 40k even lower to get there clerical jobs done. well, they will say they are being prudent, it is unfortunate though.

its important that we all support what is good and give good advice on better ways to do it. what we should not do is castigate someone who wants to do a good job because of our sentiments particularly when we do not have the facts.

the situation in nigeria require that we always seek the facts and figures before we let some foolish thieves and criminals bamboozle us

very interesting and educative writeup.

fact still remains that sanusi does not know how he will solve the mess and he's got the methodology/policies twisted

in summary: sanusi should be replaced  grin
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by funkybaby(f): 12:20pm On May 21, 2010
rclbrz2211:

What more can I say? Great minds think alike they say. I'm glad other people can see in my view like the following pro-Sanusi Nairalanders:
tkb417, darqly, opokonwa, texazzpete, marvix, justdtruth

You guys posts are meaningful, logical and reasonable. Let us ignore the sick minds that see no good in Sanusi just because they or someone they know lost his/her job. Kudos to Joey and his govt.

you are the one with the sick mind. oponnu !!!

we all have been having fun arguing on this issue without throwing insults at each other.

but a dullard and fool like you has chosen to add a new twist to it. oponnu oshi !
Re: FG Endorses Sanusi! by jaybee3(m): 12:20pm On May 21, 2010
Confirmed:  cheesy cheesy funkybaby is an unapologetic onijogbon.  tongue tongue
lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obasanjo: "The Danger Posed By Unemployed Youths Is Real & Potent / Igbos Have Acquired About 73 Percent Of Landed Property In Abuja – El Rufai / Soldiers Open Fire On Peaceful Protesters At Lekki Tollgate Now (graphics Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.